• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

see5harp

voltron said:
So whats the deal with items disappearing as you enter rooms? If its by design rather than a glitch then its really fuckin stupid.

"Oh look... theres some long spiky things lying on the floor. Im gonna carry a couple into the next room and use as projectiles... "

unlucky.

I did notice that. I thought it was pretty stupid seeing as I would normally want to pick up a propane tank if I hadn't used it before...I drop to open a door the object would be gone.

ultron87

see5harp said:
I did notice that. I thought it was pretty stupid seeing as I would normally want to pick up a propane tank if I hadn't used it before...I drop to open a door the object would be gone.

Necromorph corpses also disappear fairly fast if you're killing a large group of them. It probably happened in the first game as well, but it's way more noticeable in this one since you're trained to find each one and stomp it.

.hacked

.hacked said:
how is the easy mode?

Demo was a bit tough.

Just incase anyone else wanted to know, in casual mode looks as if you can take a bit more damage and the necros go down with less hits. Enemy placement seems the same, perhaps more health and ammo drops.

Based off the 1st 2 chapters of the PS3 CE edition.

voltron

see5harp said:

If you enter a room with an object from another room the closing of the door behind you seems to be the trigger for the disappearing act. Items literally vanish out of your kinesis beam a split second after the door shuts. You can hear audio of the object landing on the ground too.

Weird.

Then if you open the door the object materialises on the floor where it disappeared.

Zeliard

ultron87 said:
Necromorph corpses also disappear fairly fast if you're killing a large group of them. It probably happened in the first game as well, but it's way more noticeable in this one since you're trained to find each one and stomp it.

Ripper's primary fire comes in very handy here because you can use the still-spinning blade to get loot from corpses before they disappear.

JRW

bigdaddygamebot said:
Stay in the middle, and stay mobile.

And shoot the fuck out of their yellow bits.

Took me a couple tries on Zealot, so I'm assuming Survivalist will take a couple tries too.

Apparently the Detonator weapon works wonders.

The second time through...I disregarged the advice I just gave you.

When I blasted one and it fell off...I would move to THAT window. Turn, and shoot another that appeared, when it fell off, I charged that window. It worked at keeping me out of reach of their nasty bits.

Most important point I suppose is "stay on the move".

Detonator weapon did the trick I actually took surprisingly little damage after reading your post lol, Thanks for the tips I was so stressed at this section and I wasnt thinking it through very well.

darkpaladinmfc said:
Force gun makes it super easy, but I'm not 100% sure if you have access to it at that point on your first playthrough.

I found the force gun schematic right after this section, is it worth owning this weapon overall? Currently have the line gun, pulse rifle, javelin, ripper, detonator.

JRW said:
Detonator weapon did the trick I actually took surprisingly little damage after reading your post lol, Thanks for the tips I was so stressed at this section and I wasnt thinking it through very well.

+1 for me.

That fight will seem like a warm hug compared to what's coming. :D

JRW said:

I found the force gun schematic right after this section, is it worth owning this weapon overall? Currently have the line gun, pulse rifle, javelin, ripper, detonator.
It helps a lot near the end when you are surrounded by necromorphs, and its alt fire is quite powerful.

Dave1988

"Hard to the Core." OH YEAH BABY!!1!

The last 30 minutes of my HC run were exhilarating. Running away from the
Ubermorph
and then fighting the
Marker
was a real adrenaline kick for me (largely due to my final save being at the start of chapter 13 :p). Now it's time to show those Necromorphs who's the new sheriff in town *pew pew bang bang*

God, I love this game!

Zeliard

JRW said:

Yes!

Force Gun should be renamed to "Headache-Removal Gun."

ultron87 said:

Drove me crazy on my first run, when I'm low on ammo and heals, the corpses are piling up and I can't get to them in time to stomp them.

So...I started using telekinesis to pull the corpses to me while I was fighting necros. Then I could stomp them after I pulled them up to me.

Particularly effective with the baby-slashers. You can stack them like cord wood and then stomp the hell out of them and then gather the loot.

Zeliard

Also, something awesome but fairly difficult? Using a single Ripper blade to slice off the heads of several of the baby-crawler bombs. It's tough because you have to aim it at their neck or you'll blow yourself up. It's not the most efficient thing you can do there even if you are saving tons ammo in the process, but it's fun and just looks disturbingly cool.

I'd advise not trying it with dual analog. :p

voltron

So theres no reason for me not to persist with my Survivalist difficulty play-thru right? Im finding it easy enough (although definitely some challenging moments)... but since Im going to play it again on Zealot I figure I might as well bump it down to normal and get as much shit levelled up for my NG+ Zealot play-thru.

Am I missing anything? There are no achievements or unlocks unique to a Survivalist play through?

voltron said:
So theres no reason for me not to persist with my Survivalist difficulty play-thru right? Im finding it easy enough (although definitely some challenging moments)... but since Im going to play it again on Zealot I figure I might as well bump it down to normal and get as much shit levelled up for my NG+ Zealot play-thru.

Am I missing anything? There are no achievements or unlocks unique to a Survivalist play through?
Play it on Survivalist and enjoy your first playthrough... The first playthrough will always have an extra creepy-factor over your others because you won't know to expect, don't turn it into a grind.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Zeliard said:
Yes!

Force Gun should be renamed to "Headache-Removal Gun."
The force gun and the Plasma Cutter are my two de facto weapons. Miss it's secondary feature from Dead Space 1.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm having withdrawal from DS2 now that my PS3 is dead. I'll have to start over from scratch too since I'll be losing my save.

voltron

bigdaddygamebot said:
Drove me crazy on my first run, when I'm low on ammo and heals, the corpses are piling up and I can't get to them in time to stomp them.

So...I started using telekinesis to pull the corpses to me while I was fighting necros. Then I could stomp them after I pulled them up to me.

Particularly effective with the baby-slashers. You can stack them like cord wood and then stomp the hell out of them and then gather the loot.

While this is annoying its at least understandable considering the memory limitations of the console hardware. Its excusable and even expected (although when they disappear before you get a chance to loot the corpse its pretty fuckin annoying).

But what isnt excusable is when a spikey thing Im carrying with kinesis disappears right in front of my eyes while Im holding the fucking thing. Especially when the room that the object was sourced from didnt have anything to kill, yet had multiple objects lying the ground perfect for impaling... and the room where I could actually use such an object has none of its own AND has monsters.

The only explanation is that the RAM limitations just couldnt deal with it and Visceral had to just suck it up let it happen.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Dave1988 said:

Ubermorph
and then fighting the
Marker
was a real adrenaline kick for me (largely due to my final save being at the start of chapter 13 :p). Now it's time to show those Necromorphs who's the new sheriff in town *pew pew bang bang*

God, I love this game!

Any tips for Hardcore? I really want that Hand Cannon

What weapons did you use?
Which upgrades should I prioritize?
In which chapters did you make your saves?

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
voltron said:
If you enter a room with an object from another room the closing of the door behind you seems to be the trigger for the disappearing act. Items literally vanish out of your kinesis beam a split second after the door shuts. You can hear audio of the object landing on the ground too.

Weird.

Then if you open the door the object materialises on the floor where it disappeared.

We have to prevent physical objects from stacking up in a single zone. There's only a certain number of objects that can be physically simulated and keep the framerate up, and without this, a player could carry a bunch of stuff into a single room and way exceed that number. It would also potentially lead to a ton of bugs.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
Dave1988 said:

Ubermorph
and then fighting the
Marker

God, I love this game!

Congrats, man!

LogicStep

Ok so to platinum this you need to beat the game in what difficulty? That's the one where you get only 3 saves no checkpoints? How are you supposed to do this :\ play the whole game through in one sitting? Sorry if it was already clarified.

Dave1988

Pancho said:
Any tips for Hardcore? I really want that Hand Cannon

What weapons did you use?
Which upgrades should I prioritize?
In which chapters did you make your saves?

I ran with the Plasma Cutter, Force Gun, Ripper and Contact Beam. During chapters 1 to 7 I mostly used the Cutter with the occasional usage of the Force Gun and Contact Beam in tougher spots. After chapter 7 the Force Gun became my weapon of choice and I basically steamrolled everything that crossed my path. The Contact Beam was useful against Brutes and Tripods, however, it's real value stems from the value of each bullet (1,000 credits per bullet) so I sold off any excess CB ammo. I didn't really use the Ripper all that much. I just kept it there to sell off its ammo and quickly take care of those pustules take spew bombs at you if you get too close.

As for the saves, I did one in chapter 5, 7 and then at the beginning of chapter 12. When I was running through chapter 14 I got killed in the room with
Zero G with all the pistons and exhausts
. After that, I rolled back to my penultimate save on chapter 7 (I kept each save separately just in case) and got to chapter 13 where I saved just before the gate
leading deeper into the Government Sector
. From there on out it was pretty much smooth sailing for me.

Now concerning the upgrades, I prioritized health and stasis upgrades. After I was done with I immediately started upgrading the Plasma Cutter followed closely by the Force Gun.
Didn't bother to upgrade the Ripper or the Contact Beam because I wasn't using them frequently. I have all the DLC pack so I was using the Forged Engineering Rig, which grants health pack a 15% boost in recovery.

That's pretty much how I got trough Hardcore. Hope this help.

voltron

Monkey Pants said:
We have to prevent physical objects from stacking up in a single zone. There's only a certain number of objects that can be physically simulated and keep the framerate up, and without this, a player could carry a bunch of stuff into a single room and way exceed that number. It would also potentially lead to a ton of bugs.

Fair enough. I knew it was something to do with technical hurdles. Would have been cool if you guys could have allowed just one item to be carried through. Say I bring a spike (impaling object) into a room then drop it. Then go back and get another object and bring that in, then the 1st object would disappear and the item I just brought in would persist.

Anyway. Minor issue in the grand scheme of things. Admittedly theres usually more than enough debris lying around the various environments. I complain because I care :)

I really do love the Dead Space games. Played the shit outta the first one and I can myself doing the same with DS2.

Actually there is one more thing that kinda irks me... why is there no setting in options that dictates whether what size health pack used when hitting the B button? Super frustrating realising you just wasted a large health pack on to replenish 1/3 of your health metre. I can see this being even more so in Zealot mode.

Anyway like I said, great game. I only ever complain about games that I love.

voltron

So to get the HC achievement you have to start a fresh game... no NG+ right(?)... but its ok to use any DLC suits/weapons?

Dave1988

voltron said:
So to get the HC achievement you have to start a fresh game... no NG+ right(?)... but its ok to use any DLC suits/weapons?

Yup, you have to start a fresh new game. Even after you beat Hardcore you can't select it in the NG+ menu. And yes, you can use any and all DLC that you have bought.

RedSwirl

By the way, I'm still just using the only three weapons I used in DS1: Plasma Cutter, Pulse Rifle, and Ripper. I'm hesitant to buy other ones since you have to spend money before you know how effective they are.

SpudBud

Beat the game, pretty awesome. Not sure if I like is better the the first though.

I'm itching to start a 2nd playthrough but I'm gonna wait until Visceral fixes the elite suit issue on the PC.

Anyway, Is Dead Space: Extraction worth the $15? Is the game worth playing though if I don't have move?

Zomba13

Just finished it. Did a Plasma cutter only run like I did in DS1. Fully upgraded it, the rig and the stasis thing and opened every power node door. I dunno if I'll do a NG+ run because I ran out of steam doing my DS1 NG+. I really liked the ending
pretty much like DS1's ending with the jump scare. I was expecting it and lol'd when Ellie was just there looking a little confused. 'What?'

Replicant

I don't think this has anything to do with Visceral but it's related to EA so may as well post it here.

On PS3, it's annoying that you can't change your default EA's ID. I used my brother's ID a few months ago because I couldn't be bothered to register a new one just to play Dragon Age's extra mission. But now it's stuck as my ID with no way of removing it and I actually just registered a new ID when I purchased Dead Space iPhone. This is bloody annoying!

I am at chapter 11 and I still have the
vintage
suit (I think that's what is called, it's the one that kind of looks like a diver suit); when am I getting a new one? That one looks fugly:/

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Mt Heart Attack said:
vintage
suit (I think that's what is called, it's the one that kind of looks like a diver suit); when am I getting a new one? That one looks fugly:/
There's the schematic for the Advanced Suit in a power node room in Chapter 11.

Zomba13

Mt Heart Attack said:
vintage
When I got that I just switched back to the Security one (The police looking one). You keep the inventory and armour and rig upgrades.

Zomba13 said:
When I got that I just switched back to the Security one (The police looking one). You keep the inventory and armour and rig upgrades.
I didn't know you kept all the upgrades** I'm so going to ditch that piece of trash, poor Isaac looks like a space Big Daddy.

Chairhome said:
This is relevant to me because I died a bunch of times at this exact part. :-(. I am not good enough to play on hard, I should've done normal first. I died a million times and it took me way longer to beat than it should have. That being said, I loved it, though it seemed like a lot of the weapons weren't very effective (coupled with my bad choice of weapon load out).

Sadly, I made the same mistake. There was a lot of 'omg cheap death' thrown. I am experienced enough to find normal a complete cakewalk, but the next difficulty too hard (the difficulty does not scale in a linear fashion apparently). Which has the unwanted side-effect of making scares into instant deaths.

Also, the upgrade system now works something like EDF, meaning that you're not really 'supposed to' start at higher difficulties as an average player.
New game+ gives you access to all other difficulties except hardcore, so it was pretty much intended to do a normal>survivalist>zealot run or something along those lines.

The sad thing (for me) is I can't replay the game as the first time again and must content with a far more frustrating initial experience than it should have been. That said, I did not find the statis + TK angle to be very helpful, as enemies are usually too numerous and too fast for you (and the stasis charge) to hit with some accuracy with the stasis line. Doesn't help that enemies also appear to actively dodge it too (which is good, just not when one or two hits are lethal). A wider stasis line would have made a lot of difference.

Or changing the difficulty on time, of course. :p

luxarific

Nork unification denier
sam27368 said:
Please please please don't cop out Visceral and say
the only way to destroy the other markers is to destroy the black marker
for the next game. That would be such a predictable lame way to end DS3.

Honestly, I would be happy if it takes
12 more games for Issac to destroy all the markers
. I will never get enough of this franchise.

I even liked Ignition (particularly the way it tied into DS2). That's how much of a DS whore I am.

voltron said:

But what isnt excusable is when a spikey thing Im carrying with kinesis disappears right in front of my eyes while Im holding the fucking thing. Especially when the room that the object was sourced from didnt have anything to kill, yet had multiple objects lying the ground perfect for impaling... and the room where I could actually use such an object has none of its own AND has monsters.

The only explanation is that the RAM limitations just couldnt deal with it and Visceral had to just suck it up let it happen.

I thought they were being clever fuckers and didn't want you walking around with a TK'd spikey thing constantly.

Because if they allowed it...I would have fuckin' done it. Especially my first run through on zealot. Once you get rolling, considering the amount of spikey bits you can use to impale necromorphs, it would not be hard to have one with you nearly all of the time.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
TenshiOni said:
Anyone know the lifetime sales on the original so far?

2 million as of Aug. 2010

Dead Space 2 follows on one of the most popular horror games of 2008 and has a great fan base, selling through 2 million copies in its first iteration.

Re DS2: Are these sales "sales"? Or just shipped "sales"?

Hope EA doesn't interpret this as more actiony = more sales. Part of why I love DS/DS2 is the suspense. I think I went through 90% of my first DS2 play through with the left trigger depressed. My hand hurt afterward. My favorite parts of DS2 are those where you're waiting for something to happen, not when you're overcome by hordes of enemies or are
being chased by an unstoppable enemy

Haha, oh wow. Just beat the game on Zealot and earlier posters weren't kidding.

Seriously, if anyone had any problems with the final boss, just read this:

Contact Beam really does make it too easy. I literally stood still and shot the thing 6 times and won. One hit to Nicole was all it took to reveal the Marker's core and one hit at the core was enough to bring Nicole back. Only took 3 Charge Beam shots to the core and it was over. I only saw ONE of the little shadow kids before it was over. Fight took less than 15 seconds.

Now for Hardcore! Thinking about running just Plasma Cutter, Force Gun, and Contact Beam. Going to focus on upgrading the PC, RIG, and Stasis first. All left overs will go to the Contact Beam's alt fire and Force Gun. Probably gonna try to make it all the way to 10 before saving once. Definitely going to need a save before 13. Scared of dying in those red rooms.

Top Bottom