• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Dyno

TheVampire said:
AH FUCK

Im on chapter 6 now and Ive just realised that I missed the security suit, that new cool one..... FUCK!

What should I do?

It not a very powerful suit. You will find better. I believe it gives a damage boost to the Pulse Rifle so unless you're using that weapon then I wouldn't even miss it.

Now the Riot Security Suit found in NG+ is another story. 25% armour, 25 spaces, and +10% to the Contact Beam. Sexy sexy!

sam27368

Banned
Okay can someone help me here with the plot, tried googling but have had little luck

Convergence. What the hell is it? The game gives no explanation.

I'm guessing by the word converge it means the necromorphs and the marker coming together (the writing on the marker contains the DNA code for the virus that creates the necromorphs). So since the marker opposes the necromorphs, why are the necromorphs worshipping it?

Since the marker emits the signal that makes the virus dormant. (Surely at the end when they are worshipping it) they should be dead or something?

ALLSSOO why are the necromorphs trying to stop Isaac from destroying the thing that could very well destory them?

Also, I'm quite confused about the
hive mind
controlling the necromorphs.
Why do you need a hive mind to control them? It's a virus, the sole purpose of nercromorphs is to kill to create more necromorphs
If the hive mind is controlling the other necromorphs then why is there only one at Aegis 7 and not one on the sprawl?
Also, seems a pretty big coincidence that the Hive Mind just happens to be on Aegis VII, pretty lucky to pick that planet out of the billions to test the red marker

sam27368 said:
Okay can someone help me here with the plot, tried googling but have had little luck

Convergence. What the hell is it? The game gives no explanation.

I'm guessing by the word converge it means the necromorphs and the marker coming together (the writing on the marker contains the DNA code for the virus that creates the necromorphs). So since the marker opposes the necromorphs, why are the necromorphs worshipping it?

Not a hundred percent on exactly what it is, but perhaps it has something to with a hive mind and the alien creatures' rebirth. And I don't think the Marker really opposes the Necros, there's something else going on between them.

PA has another DS2 comic:

1174879147_ikdyh-L.jpg

I'm not going to ask too many questions about the plot until after Dead Space 3. I assume it's building toward some kind of twist or massive revelation of some sort, so I prefer to be left in the dark until then.

Dyno

I was at a buddies house last night and we got the final battle on normal difficulty. We couldn't get through the fight after a couple hours of attempts.

He has the Plasma Cutter, Pulse Rifle, Detonator, and Line Gun.

On my own game I finished that fight off with only the Force Gun and Contact Beam. It wasn't that hard! I just don't think he has the right tools for the job.

You fine folk have any strategies using the above weapons?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is there a quality difference between the X360/PS3 version, besides PS3 having Extraction and no disc switching?

sam27368

Banned
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Not a hundred percent on exactly what it is, but perhaps it has something to with a hive mind and the alien creatures' rebirth. And I don't think the Marker really opposes the Necros, there's something else going on between them.

1174879147_ikdyh-L.jpg

I've edited my post a bit, it's all a bit of a mindfuck.

I really hope they've written out the plot from Dead Space 1 and aren't doing a Kingdom Hearts/MGS make it up as we go along so the final revelation sends people into a comatosed state.

sam27368 said:
I've edited my post a bit, it's all a bit of a mindfuck.

I really hope they've written out the plot from Dead Space 1 and aren't doing a Kingdom Hearts/MGS make it up as we go along so the final revelation sends people into a comatosed state.

They are retconning a bit I believe. One of the devs posts on somethingawful and said the first game was written without the expanded universe or sequels in mind. Furthermore the game itself was changed but not all the plot was (e.g.. originally the Marker was supposed to protect you during gameplay but this was dull and dropped, but not from the plot)

Hesemonni

Banned
I thought
Nicole
was annoying, but
unskippable NG+ cutscenes
are even more so. Seriously, that and some games not having subtitles is one of the few things in gaming which drive me crazy.

Tacitus_

Dyno said:
I was at a buddies house last night and we got the final battle on normal difficulty. We couldn't get through the fight after a couple hours of attempts.

On my own game I finished that fight off with only the Force Gun and Contact Beam. It wasn't that hard! I just don't think he has the right tools for the job.

Did it with Cutter and Line Gun, fairly easy on survivalist after I figured out the fight and the fact that you can grind supplies from the summoned adds. Gather bunch of them up, and you can get an obscene amount of kills per Line shot, finish off the stragglers with Cutter, shoot
Nicole
and the additional adds with the Cutter and when the heart opens up, unload on it with your hardest hitting weapon. I used a fully upgraded Line Gun for that. Repeat until done.

Trevelyon

Hesemonni said:
I thought
Nicole
was annoying, but
unskippable NG+ cutscenes
are even more so. Seriously, that and some games not having subtitles is one of the few things in gaming which drive me crazy.

Yeah, we've been spoilt this generation, so it is frustrating when that option isn't available, especially in additional playthroughs. Though, the narrative and exposition aspects aren't nearly as ponderous as other games, so it's slightly more tolerable here.

Dyno said:

Did it with a Plasma Cutter and Rivet Gun on Survivalist after failing repeatedly on Zealot.

Your buddy needs to try Easy...or get better at the game. : /

I'd imagine the detonator and the line gun would be wildly effective in the final fight, switching to the pulse rifle and plasma cutter for the "primary target" when ever possible.

me Jojo

Was there any special loot in the final room of chapter 7?
You know, the one where you get ambushed by an infinite(?) spawn of necromorphs. I'm playing on zealot mode so I ran to the door asap because I was low on ammo and health packs.

Muffdraul

bigdaddygamebot said:
Did it with a Plasma Cutter and Rivet Gun on Survivalist after failing repeatedly on Zealot.

Your buddy needs to try Easy...or get better at the game. : /

I'd imagine the detonator and the line gun would be wildly effective in the final fight, switching to the pulse rifle and plasma cutter for the "primary target" when ever possible.

After finishing the game four times, I've come to the conclusion that the contact beam is THEE perfect weapon for the final battle.
Even if you haven't used a single node to upgrade it. (It has no DMG upgrades, its primary fire is at 100% out of the box.) It one-shots Nicole, and takes out the Marker heart in a minimum of direct hits. Alt-fire wipes out any imps that are near you. The charge time and shallow clip are negligible issues.

Q8D3vil

i wanted to start the game but after trying nvidia vision i really want to wait for a while to see if nvidia release a better profile.
the 3d in this game is crazy good except some effects like shadow and fog.
i really nvidia fix some of that stuff or at least ea release patch.

sam27368

Banned
Q8D3vil said:
i wanted to start the game but after trying nvidia vision i really want to wait for a while to see if nvidia release a better profile.
the 3d in this game is crazy good except some effects like shadow and fog.
i really nvidia fix some of that stuff or at least ea release patch.
Don't bother. You'll forget about it 5 minutes in once you get immersed, it's getting the high review scores for a reason. Don't let it pass by

The beginning of chapter 9 is really pissing me off. I am almost out of ammo and health. No idea on how to approach the battles that lie a head. I am playing on survivalist, not sure if I should tough it out or be a pussy and switch to normal and replay survivalist on NG+.

Muffdraul

betweenthewheels said:
Do you unlock the 'ninja suit' during the first playthrough? I'm afraid I missed it.

Yeah, in chapter 11. I forget exactly where, but I don't recall it being particularly hidden.

Chairhome

NotTheGuyYouKill said:

1174879147_ikdyh-L.jpg
This is relevant to me because I died a bunch of times at this exact part. :-(. I am not good enough to play on hard, I should've done normal first. I died a million times and it took me way longer to beat than it should have. That being said, I loved it, though it seemed like a lot of the weapons weren't very effective (coupled with my bad choice of weapon load out). I did like this part in the ending
where it shows Issac in the chair like at the end of DS1, camera lingers on him as if the same thing is about to happen, then he just looks at Ellie and she says, "what?"

Muffdraul said:
Yeah, in chapter 11. I forget exactly where, but I don't recall it being particularly hidden.
Ok, thanks. Getting tired of the Iron Man prototype suit

I love how you can manipulate some of the light sources in the game. I find myself carrying around lights with kinesis to light my way

BeeDog

Frester said:
Eek, quoting myself for the new page.

Might as well go with Engineering, seeing as I assume the extra healing may become mighty useful. I just hope you used your previous run to upgrade a lot of the weapons beforehand. :)

My third run will be on Zealot after I hoarded items during a Casual run. I actually maxed out my inventory several times and had to sell tons of healthpacks and ammo. :D

Frester

darkpaladinmfc said:
I don't remember what either suit does, but base your suit choice on your play-style and weapons.

Advanced is -50% to stasis recharge, and elite engineering is +15% to med packs. I'll probably go with the advanced, since it makes it really easy to stasis, shoot off an arm, and TK impale.

randomlyrossy said:
Finished the game earlier tonight, overall I loved it. Way more action packed but just as creepy and scary as the first game.

Some stuff about the end
personally I found the boss fight to be pretty contrived. I wouldn't have minded it too much had I not had to redo the fight like 6 times, which was a pain in the arse considering how long it goes on for.

I did enjoy the fake-out ending though, I wasn't sure whether they were about to go with a super depressing and fairly ambiguous ending or if something was about to happen. Glad they ended with a little bit of a bang.

The after credits tease was great, honestly though I can't see them going anywhere else but Earth now, or at least an Earth like planet.

Oh and going back to the Ishimura was perfect, especially the constant whispering and the fact you don't encounter any enemies for the first 10 minutes or so. That had me incredibly tense the entire time.

One more thing, about the transition into Chapter 13.
Did anyone else find that very odd? Like it was incomplete? It's the only place I can think of where the game fades to black and Isaac just appears in the next area. It's like they didn't have time to do the whole crashing sequence so they just skipped it. It's not like they haven't shown they can do elaborate stuff like that, I found it kind of jarring.

Also quoting myself for a new page. I'm especially curious about what people think about the Chapter 13 thing, surprised I haven't seen it mentioned.

Frester said:
Advanced is -50% to stasis recharge, and elite engineering is +15% to med packs. I'll probably go with the advanced, since it makes it really easy to stasis, shoot off an arm, and TK impale.
Advanced majority of the time, and switch to Engineering before you heal up if a shop is near? Ideally the increased stasis recharge would prevent you taking damage in the first place.

ultron87

Do you have to have the Vintage suit on every time you buy something to get the discount?

Does that mean that from now on to maximize the use of my money my store routine needs to be: Put on Vintage Suit -> buy stuff -> put on Advanced Suit? Can you skip the suit changing cutscene?

Also, Hacker Suit in a vacuum seems unsafe.

ultron87 said:
Do you have to have the Vintage suit on every time you buy something to get the discount?

Does that mean that from now on to maximize the use of my money my store routine needs to be: Put on Vintage Suit -> buy stuff -> put on Advanced Suit? Can you skip the suit changing cutscene?

Also, Hacker Suit in a vacuum seems unsafe.
- Yes
- Yes, don't think you can skip.
- :p

Muffdraul said:
After finishing the game four times, I've come to the conclusion that the contact beam is THEE perfect weapon for the final battle.
Even if you haven't used a single node to upgrade it. (It has no DMG upgrades, its primary fire is at 100% out of the box.) It one-shots Nicole, and takes out the Marker heart in a minimum of direct hits. Alt-fire wipes out any imps that are near you. The charge time and shallow clip are negligible issues.

Duly noted. Contact Beam is about to become my new primary.

So yeah...playing this in a huge engineering suit (that reminds me of the original Iron Man suit)...it makes me wish for two things.

i) Dead Space 3. Visceral...get off your collective asses and get cracking.

ii) I think Visceral could make a brilliant Warhammer 40K Space Hulk game. It would be so rad.

JRW

So im on Chapter 7 and ive been playing on Survivalist difficulty since the start, is it me or is the part after you
repair the elevator and then ride in it and fight those enemies that appear in the windows
incredibly difficult? or am I overlooking a strategy here? (I use stasis) Ive died countless times since last night and still cant pass it today.

JRW said:
So im on Chapter 7 and ive been playing on Survivalist difficulty since the start, is it me or is the part after you
repair the elevator and then ride in it and fight those enemies that appear in the windows
incredibly difficult? or am I overlooking a strategy here? (I use stasis) Ive died countless times since last night and still cant pass it today.

Stay in the middle, and stay mobile.

And shoot the fuck out of their yellow bits.

Took me a couple tries on Zealot, so I'm assuming Survivalist will take a couple tries too.

Apparently the Detonator weapon works wonders.

The second time through...I disregarged the advice I just gave you.

When I blasted one and it fell off...I would move to THAT window. Turn, and shoot another that appeared, when it fell off, I charged that window. It worked at keeping me out of reach of their nasty bits.

Most important point I suppose is "stay on the move".

KAOz

Short bus special
JRW said:

Use the Detonator. That weapon is a gift from the Gods. One shot kills on each and everyone of them (I think at least. Mine was slightly upgraded aswell). Just keep reloading as soon as you fired one shot.

With that weapon you just need to hit their bodymass, and there will be no need to aim properly for the bits.

JRW said:
Force gun makes it super easy, but I'm not 100% sure if you have access to it at that point on your first playthrough.

sam27368

Banned
Please please please don't cop out Visceral and say
the only way to destroy the other markers is to destroy the black marker
for the next game. That would be such a predictable lame way to end DS3.

RedSwirl

I'm still on Chapter 10 on Survivalist on my first playthrough and yeah, the difficulty did spike pretty bad. Does this game have the same number of chapters as the first one?

JRW said:

I'm too much of a wuss to play Survivalist, but.... surround sound helps... A LOT.

Numpt3

RedSwirl said:
I'm still on Chapter 10 on Survivalist on my first playthrough and yeah, the difficulty did spike pretty bad. Does this game have the same number of chapters as the first one?
15 chapters apparently, I've just reached chapter 10 myself.

voltron

So whats the deal with items disappearing as you enter rooms? If its by design rather than a glitch then its really fuckin stupid.

"Oh look... theres some long spiky things lying on the floor. Im gonna carry a couple into the next room and use as projectiles... "

unlucky.

Top Bottom