• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

LiK

electristan said:
ok people help me out here.

loved the start and it has great atmosphere and is polished like few others, BUT i'm really struggling to find a reason to keep going. the story is interesting enough i guess, but the the gameplay is getting really repetitive.

all it seems to be is going from A-B and shooting thing that either pop out of the wall or walk at you in strait lines (minus a few exceptions). does the gameplay change at all later in the game? just starting chapter 7.
Prepare for some epic set pieces.

Just finished it. While it gets repetitive at times, it contains some of the most amazing setpieces of any game I have played. The level of polish is insane, the tech makes it look well beyond most exclusive titles. Especially the lighting, omg.

Dead Space is the Uncharted of horror games.

LiK said:
Prepare for some epic set pieces.

thanks, yeah i forgot to mention that the set pieces have been the best part so long, so if they get better thats a reason to keep going.

still hoped there was a little more variety in the basic gameplay though.

LiK

electristan said:
thanks, yeah i forgot to mention that the set pieces have been the best part so long, so if they get better thats a reason to keep going.

Yea, there are some puzzles and diverse levels you will encounter soon. Really cool and worth checking out. Don't give up!

Struct09

electristan said:

I felt the repetition as well, but the set pieces and ending are definitely worth seeing.

LiK said:
Yea, there are some puzzles and diverse levels you will encounter soon. Really cool and worth checking out. Don't give up!

See...you're more positive than me.

If he's at chapter 7 and already growing disatissfied with the gameplay. I'd tell him to bail.

He's not digging it.

He could maybe try switching up weapons to tweak his enjoyment but it's not like the game really changes from Chapter 7 onwards...

LiK said:

thanks for the inspiration :) ill give it another go, now with a slightly more positive frame of mind.

bigdaddygamebot said:
See...you're more positive than me.

If he's at chapter 7 and already growing disatissfied with the gameplay. I'd tell him to bail.

He's not digging it.

He could maybe try switching up weapons to tweak his enjoyment but it's not like the game really changes from Chapter 7 onwards...

and now im hesitant again. ill try they weapon thing, thats a good idea

Struct09 said:
I felt the repetition as well, but the set pieces and ending are definitely worth seeing.

but this gives me a little hope

LiK

electristan said:
thanks for the inspiration :) ill give it another go, now with a slightly more positive frame of mind.

Yea, I loved it all. The set pieces are really worth checking out. The second half of the game does a better job switching up the objectives so its not so repetitive.

electristan said:

I'm not TRYING to be a dick. Not TRYING at any rate.

It's Dead Space. Not sure if you have played the first one but Dead Space is pretty much one formula that gets repeated over and over until you get to the end.

YOU can moderately change that formula by challenging yourself on a high difficulty level, or by changing up how you dispatch the necromorphs. (weapon selection, use of stasis, use of TK, location) but the formula pretty much stays the same.

I love Dead Space...like...love it.

But you're not me, and if you're already feeling "Meh-ish" at Chapter 7...dude...don't expect a different game.

Some of the set pieces coming up are very entertaining and some of the weapons you can theoretically get access to are pretty spectacular but once again; don't expect a different game.

It gets MORE punishing (which I dig) and it will tax you depending on the difficulty setting and your skill level.

It took a while for me to realize that it's "okay" to not like a good/great game.

It's okay to not "feel" Dead Space
Although it does make you an asshole...

I keed. :D

bigdaddygamebot said:
I'm not TRYING to be a dick. Not TRYING at any rate.

It's Dead Space. Not sure if you have played the first one but Dead Space is pretty much one formula that gets repeated over and over until you get to the end.

YOU can moderately change that formula by challenging yourself on a high difficulty level, or by changing up how you dispatch the necromorphs. (weapon selection, use of stasis, use of TK, location) but the formula pretty much stays the same.

I love Dead Space...like...love it.

But you're not me, and if you're already feeling "Meh-ish" at Chapter 7...dude...don't expect a different game.

Some of the set pieces coming up are very entertaining and some of the weapons you can theoretically get access to are pretty spectacular but once again; don't expect a different game.

It gets MORE punishing (which I dig) and it will tax you depending on the difficulty setting and your skill level.

It took a while for me to realize that it's "okay" to not like a good/great game.

It's okay to not "feel" Dead Space
Although it does make you an asshole...

I keed. :D

:D i hear ya.

ill give it a go for a few more chapters and see if it hooks me.

i did play the first one and felt about the same as i do this one. this one just got so much hype here, on podcasts and such great scores, i thought id give it a chance.

i really want to like the games, i just cant for some reason (so far anyway).

electristan said:

i did play the first one and felt about the same as i do this one. this one just got so much hype here, on podcasts and such great scores, i thought id give it a chance.

For me...it's Starcraft 2.

No worries man. It's a shame you're not enjoying it as much as some people are and if you can grind through it...New Game+ might be where the real fun starts for you because you have more money to kick around with as well as upgraded weapons.

You can start experimenting more with weapons and varying your play style...but that'll involve you pushing through the second half of the game.

Patryn

electristan said:

Not everyone likes every game.

Hell, I commit the cardinal sin that I feel very "Meh." about Ocarina of Time.

If you don't like it, you don't like it. Life goes on.

LiK

bigdaddygamebot said:
For me...it's Starcraft 2.

No worries man. It's a shame you're not enjoying it as much as some people are and if you can grind through it...New Game+ might be where the real fun starts for you because you have more money to kick around with as well as upgraded weapons.

You can start experimenting more with weapons and varying your play style...but that'll involve you pushing through the second half of the game.
Or he could switch to Casual so the combat isn't too much of an issue for him. But yea, switching weapons around is also a lot of fun. I dunno, I was totally sucked in. Beat the game from Chapters 5-end in one day and loved it all. I really like the levels in the later chapters too.

Flambe

Ah man, part in church with the 2 fat dudes then a ton of the faster fuckers is owning me, they jump at you so fast your ripper blade doesn't stun them, and only have so much stasis >.<

hayejin

Finished and starting NG+

I really wish devs would let players skip tutorial levels on subsquent replays. Worst offender was COD3.

codecow

hayejin said:
Finished and starting NG+

I really wish devs would let players skip tutorial levels on subsquent replays. Worst offender was COD3.

We wanted to but ran out of time, we feel you.

Flambe said:
Ah man, part in church with the 2 fat dudes then a ton of the faster fuckers is owning me, they jump at you so fast your ripper blade doesn't stun them, and only have so much stasis >.<

Go to the hallway opposite the one you enter.

Pregnant-necro will come around the corner. SHOOT IT`S FUCKING LEGS! When it`s down, shoot off one arm. Dead preggo. Go around the corner, run down the hall and wait IN THAT CORNER.

There should be atleast two `fast fuckers` coming your way and a second preggo.

If you`re good, you can TK two sharp spikes from the first dead preggo. Using stasis and using the sharp spikes, and pulling the trigger on your weapon until it goes `click`or until the two fast-fuckers are dead. Preggo should be getting closer and should come around the corner and into sight before the next two fast-fuckers spawn.

Stasis...shoot the fucking legs, then snap off an arm. Dead preggo...and get ready for the final wave of fast-fuckers. Use everything if you need to. It`s fun.

If you fuck up killing a preggo and you get hit with a wave of the little necro-caltrops...you`re pretty much fucked. You might not be depending on your weapons and ammo...but you`re probably fucked.

The fast-fuckers clearly went to necromorph combat school between Dead Space and Dead Space 2 as they are absolutely murderous now.

Most important...get in the far hallway in a corner and pull your trigger. Try not to miss.

Zeliard

It's a good idea to put nodes into stasis even early on, especially in duration. Upgrade duration just a couple times and it makes a significant difference. I concentrated on stasis over other upgrades for a while and it was well worth it. Lets you work some nice crowd control up in that mother.

Zeliard said:
It's a good idea to put nodes into stasis even early on, especially in duration. Upgrade duration just a couple times and it makes a significant difference. I concentrated on stasis over other upgrades for a while and it was well worth it. Lets you work some nice crowd control up in that mother.

I`m still torn about what to upgrade first in my Hardcore run.

Health or Stasis.

Zeliard

bigdaddygamebot said:
I`m still torn about what to upgrade first in my Hardcore run.

Health or Stasis.

Yeah on Hardcore that might be trickier. I typically ignore RIG upgrades outside of putting as many nodes in health without having to use one on an empty slot (which I think is just two in DS2). Air upgrades may as well not exist.

When I do my Hardcore run I'll probably still do that, since I didn't die too much on Survivalist. Only thing that keeps me from doing Hardcore immediately is the time investment needed. No matter what your saving strategy is, you have to inevitably go through several chapters before you can afford to save. Maybe this weekend.

Flambe

Hehe thanks guys, I'll have to try that.

My guns are the plasma cutter, harpoon shooter thing and ripper and is on the hardest standard difficulty before the hardcore or w/e -_-

Yeah those fast things are crazy, and I barely ever use stasis so no nodes at all there lol

The harpoon works decent for the little thingies the pregnant dudes spew out, just shoot one in the middle and alt-fire kills 'em all

Chiggs

Gold Member
schennmu said:
Dead Space is the Uncharted of horror games.

That's funny you mention that, because it's the exact impression that I started to get later in the game when Isaac was quipping one liners.

For the record, I don't like the turn it's making. Still, it's hard to disagree with your comments about the level of polish.

RedSwirl

The final boss of this game reaches Radek levels of retarded.

My current loadout is the refurbished plasma cutter (no ammo), pulse rifle (33), and ripper (2). Another problem with this game is that I was reluctant to try out any of the other weapons the whole way because I have to spend my hard-earned cash before even trying them out.

For starters I didn't even know you had to shoot the market after
shooting Nicole
. Besides that though, the design of it is exactly the kind of shitty ending logic that games need to leave behind if they aren't going to have bosses.

What makes it worse is that the part leading up to the boss would have actually made an excellent climax to the game on its own.

Chiggs

Gold Member
RedSwirl said:
The final boss of this game reaches Radek levels of retarded.

For starters I didn't even know you had to shoot the market after
shooting Nicole
. Besides that though, the design of it is exactly the kind of shitty ending logic that games need to leave behind if they aren't going to have bosses.

What makes it worse is that the part leading up to the boss would have actually made an excellent climax to the game on its own.

The final boss really sucked ass. I would have rather had more scenarios with the
regenerator
, because let's face it: that's the scariest monster in both games.

k0ji-wd said:
i was thinking that the game wasn't anywhere near as scary as the first game until I got to
The Ishimura
and everything afterwards. . .damn

As soon as I looked up and saw that giant Ishimura sign glowing brightly I was like 'oh shit'

Didn't find that scary at all...seemed sort of unnecessary if anything. I did like that one part in the really, really long hallway when everything goes dark.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
This has probably been asked before, but I'm heading out in half an hour to do some heavy health exams (wish me luck!) and I tought it'd be only fair to reward myself with this game after .iu ;)
What I wanted to know is if the PC version still has the broken controller dead zone like the first game had, or if it is totally cool playing it with my 360 pad, otherwise I'm going with the ps3 sku.
Thanks

RedSwirl

Chiggs said:
The final boss really sucked ass. I would have rather had more scenarios with the
regenerator
, because let's face it: that's the scariest monster in both games.

Were I in charge of making Dead Space a scarier game, I would've just made every enemy a
regenerator

Chiggs

Gold Member
Dash Kappei said:
This has probably been asked before, but I'm heading out in half an hour to do some heavy health exams (wish me luck!) and I tought it'd be only fair to reward myself with this game after .iu ;)
What I wanted to know is if the PC version still has the broken controller dead zone like the first game had, or if it is totally cool playing it with my 360 pad, otherwise I'm going with the ps3 one.
Thanks

Played the PC version with the 360 pad and it was perfectly fine.

Chiggs

Gold Member
RedSwirl said:
Were I in charge of making Dead Space a scarier game, I would've just made every enemy a
regenerator

Or make it appear more frequently. I hated dealing with that thing in the first. Credit to Visceral for that super intense
hacking moment when it first appeared.
To me, that and the end of Chapter 5 were the highlights of the game.

RedSwirl said:
regenerator

That wouldn't make it scary, it'd just piss you off after a while. To make it really scary, you'd have to use it very sparingly and have it actively hunt you.

Chiggs

Gold Member
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
That wouldn't make it scary, it'd just piss you off after a while. To make it really scary, you'd have to use it very sparingly and have it actively hunt you.

And have it hunt in packs with barf guys and those flying re-animator things. And then give them all guns and cloaking modes.

Greatest Game Ever?

LiK

Chiggs said:
And have it hunt in packs with barf guys and those flying re-animator things. And then give them all guns and cloaking modes.

Greatest Game Ever?
Yea, Halo Reach is great.

Hesemonni

Banned
Why do people fight ANY game's final boss without stacking ammo / supplies? Just load an earlier save at a nearby store, sell useless stuff and buy ammo & medkits?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm up to Chapter 3 at the moment.

So far its been good fun, and clearly miles ahead of the original in production values, but its not really scary in the slightest, nor anywhere near a tense. I also think making Isaac talk was a really, really poor decision.

I'm sticking with the plasma cutter, as again it seems like the only weapon you ever need.

LiK

EatChildren said:
I'm up to Chapter 3 at the moment.

So far its been good fun, and clearly miles ahead of the original in production values, but its not really scary in the slightest, nor anywhere near a tense. I also think making Isaac talk was a really, really poor decision.

I'm sticking with the plasma cutter, as again it seems like the only weapon you ever need.
Hoho, wait til you reach the later chapters.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
NotTheGuyYouKill said:

That could make for a pretty awesome DLC type section. Have no combat at all except for one pretty fast and lethal regenerator, and fill it with puzzles and mechanical stuff Isaac needs to overcome.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dead Space 2 sure is strange.

ds22lmt3.jpg

JRW

Currently at Chapter 9 (Survivalist) and having a blast, Just bought the Vintage suit for 40k (10% store discount bonus is nice).

DS1 was a little more scary but DS2 is still pretty freaky at times and IMO the combat is definately better. The game is just more fun to play. (dont get me wrong DS1 is still superb and shouldnt be missed).

I also love the Detonator weapon it has saved my ass in a lot of dire situations and reminds me of fun times I used to have with Duke Nukem 3D's Laser trip mines.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
On chapter 7, thoughts so far:

Liking:

- the graphics. They are insane, particularly the lighting effects. Some of the texture work in the
Church of Unitology
is very detailed. Runs at a locked 60fps on my mid-end 2009 PC.
- little improvements made to the gameplay. As someone's video review put it earlier, it's the little things that add up to make it feel so much more refined. I'm particularly loving the new GPS indicator that will tell you where save stations and stores are - great idea.
- Zero G, it's so improved that I feel you could almost spin it out into its own game, like Dark Void but not crap.
- the set pieces. Some of them have been absolutely incredible, easily as good as God of War 3. My mouth actually opened at some points.
- the atmosphere plus creepiness. The game is darker than its predecessor (although maybe it's because I cranked down the brightness a bit). I love it when you can hear the enemies but not see them, and then suddenly they leap at you when you shine the flashlight on them - these parts really owe themselves to the excellent sound design. Also, Visceral, you guys are fucking sick! Exploding babies and kicking around necro children's dismembered heads, wtf.

Not liking as much:

- the normal difficulty level. It's way too easy so far. I almost always have a ton of ammo so it breaks a bit of the unnerving nature of the game.
- lots of cheap deaths from 'mine' necromorphs. They are tricky to see sometimes and a one hit kill at low health.
- the linearity of the game. I don't remember Dead Space being this linear, although maybe they just masked it with slower pacing (this is balls to the wall by comparison). I also remember Dead Space had a minor 'hub section', plus back tracking parts that created the illusion of some freedom.
- the story isn't as good as the original. There is a lot less intrigue, less interesting objectives, and the game is pretty much a point A to point B journey (a good one though). I've not run into as many audio logs either.

I finished the game last night.

I thought that overall it was a very worthy successor to the original Dead Space - certainly a better game than most other sequels. That said, I still just about prefer the original game. For a start, as i've said above, the original game's story was better. There was a greater feeling of the unknown, such as not knowing fully what the Necromorphs are or why they are on the ship - I suppose knowing more about the universe and your enemies comes with the territory of a sequel though, so I can't dock DS2 points for this. It's just one of those advantages of original games that cannot be replicated, unless you stick to new IPs all the time.

And having finished the game, I can confirm that the original also had more varied goals (
find Nicole, repair parts of the Ishimura, gtfo the Ishimura, destroy the Marker etc
), and just in general a more interesting, better flowing story. Sometimes DS2 felt like it was changing course too dramatically to compensate for what was basically an A to B story - the
betrayal
at the beginning felt pretty damn pointless from a storytelling perspective when you look back on it. Tiedemann was also a pretty weak bad guy who just felt under-developed -
if I was in charge, I would have just ditched the betrayal at the start and have Tiedemann lure you to the church as a trap, rather than the whole Unitology wants your brain angle. It would have created a far more devious character than just "ha ha Isaac, you're going to die now".

Presentation was top notch throughout, not a rough area in sight. Everything looked beautiful and at times the direction of the set pieces really was mind-blowing. Gameplay was also improved subtly as i've said before. However, one thing I didn't really like was that sometimes the game piles too many different enemy types onto the player. You end up fumbling through all your weapons so much, running the fuck away, and aimlessly blasting stasis that the controls just can't keep up (figuratively, not literally). Trying to sort out multiple large Necromorphs, while shaking off the little face huggers, while avoiding projectile attacks, while also doing some other objective can become tricky. I really wish there was some sort of tiny window of invulnerability after being hit, as being gangbanged in the corner by 4 different tentacle types is not fun. And I absolutely agree that at times it should really tell you when to just run.

As a horror game, i'd say Dead Space 2 was pretty successful if only for
the absolutely terrible part with the eye needle at the end. Fuck that shit - one of my greatest fears and Visceral played to it perfectly.
I winced in my seat as if it was happening to me, which is something i've never ever done with a game before.

Overall, it's a superb game which I don't think the flaws can take away from. Saying it's GOTY is very premature, but it will certainly stay that way for a long time. Now I want them to take in all the feedback and just completely nail Dead Space 3.

8/10

Chiggs said:
That's funny you mention that, because it's the exact impression that I started to get later in the game when Isaac was quipping one liners.

For the record, I don't like the turn it's making. Still, it's hard to disagree with your comments about the level of polish.

Yeah, I agree with you. It kind of shares the high points but also the low points with Uncharted. But it's more repetitive, so I would rate it below (which is still a compliment I guess). "Oh really, another room full of those assholes?" I was really fed up when I started the
government sector

The final boss was annoying. Thankfully I had enough ammo saved, but I can imagine it being a nightmare on the harder difficulties. DS1 boss was better.

Top Bottom