• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Wiggum2007

I wish there was like, a roll axis to the zero-g controls. Plus, it'd be cool if your velocity was conserved, so you'd engage your thrusters for a second or two then disengage and you'd still keep floating in that direction until you did something to compensate. Guess that'd be too awkward to control though.

Also (related to audio of a certain character),
am I supposed to be understanding anything Nicole is saying? Earlier in the thread someone said she was intentionally hard to understand but I feel like I'm missing out when I can only make out half her dialog. I've resorted to turning on subtitles the second the game flashes to yellow. :lol

Still an amazing game, just what I wanted from a sequel to DS. working my way through Chapter 8 right now. Thank you for making Isaac a voiced character! And those Stalker necromorphs are the most fun I've had with a video game enemy in a long time. Those crying exploding babies are more goofy than creepy though. :p

Hesemonni said:
Just got the elevator action achievement whilst playing on Zealot. With
detonator
it's really easy. I was a bit afraid I'd have to replay until here on easy difficulty, but gladly no.

So after this run I'm officially done with DS2. Hardcore is doable, but I can't see myself doing it. 950/1000 is pretty good in my books though.

Thank you Visceral. Hopefully DS3 will be even better!

Grrrr...I tried that on Zealot a few days ago and I ran out of ammo. I had no idea there were so many of the bastards.

Playing this on PC and it seems that kinesis has bugged out for me. For some reason I can't use it all after getting the first suit-upgrade. I've reached a kinesis-door that I can't open, so I'm stuck. Anyone know of a solution or do I have to wait for EA to release a fix? Cause I really don't feel like replaying the first section.

Crescendo170 said:
Playing this on PC and it seems that kinesis has bugged out for me. For some reason I can't use it all after getting the first suit-upgrade. I've reached a kinesis-door that I can't open, so I'm stuck. Anyone know of a solution or do I have to wait for EA to release a fix? Cause I really don't feel like replaying the first section.

I don't know of any "Kinesis doors" in the game. : /

What chapter is it? What's the scene?

bigdaddygamebot said:
I don't know of any "Kinesis doors" in the game. : /

What chapter is it? What's the scene?
Chapter 1, right after the first boss-encounter. There's a panel with a "grip"-symbol on it that you need kinesis to jank open.

Crescendo170 said:
Chapter 1, right after the first boss-encounter. There's a panel with a "grip"-symbol on it that you need kinesis to jank open.

Ah...okay. Sorry about that. I thought you meant an actual "door".

Does your kinesis work on other things? Have you tried TKing an object AT the door and possibly knocking it off?

(not sure if you can do that)

bigdaddygamebot said:
Ah...okay. Sorry about that. I thought you meant an actual "door".

Does your kinesis work on other things? Have you tried TKing an object AT the door and possibly knocking it off?

(not sure if you can do that)
Nope, cannot pickup anything at all. No animation or nothing. Googled it and it seems others are having this problem too at the exact same spot. Kinda sucks, since im really eager to play more. :(

codecow

bigdaddygamebot said:
I stand firm on the fact that Visceral needs to get their hands on the WH40K license and make a squad based Space Hulk game.

It would be dreamy.

That would be great, I loved Space Hulk (the 1993ish EA version).

codecow said:
That would be great, I loved Space Hulk (the 1993ish EA version).

You guys have the tone perfectly.

Terminators and Space Marines in a space ship.
The necromorphs aren't that far from genestealers.

Co-op and multiplayer to get the EA execs all hard and slobbery.

DLC skins of various space marine chapters and each one playing a bit different.

????

Profit!

bigdaddygamebot said:
I stand firm on the fact that Visceral needs to get their hands on the WH40K license and make a squad based Space Hulk game.

It would be dreamy.
Oh my fucking god. This would be incredible. Someone make this happen, PLEASE.

I finished the game last night and enjoyed the heck out of it and I hate games that scare me more than anything really, thinking again about all the bits where you are boosting around in Zero-G kinda makes me want a game based solely around that aspect.
The flight to the gunship was awesome

Dave1988 said:
The same thing happens when you have the Hacker and Elite Advanced rigs. If you put on the Hacker rig, the EA rig disappears and you have to find the schematic again to be able to wear it again. I hope Visceral fixes this soon.

Soldier rig stats: 25 inventory slots, 25% armor, Seeker Rifle + 10% damage.
:( I hope that gets fixed, thanks

Miroku

Finished my second run on survivalist. If anyone is having problems with the final boss:
The fully upgraded Contact Beam wins the game in 6 shots, 3 for nicole and 3 for the marker heart. It's kind of silly actually

Wiggum2007 said:
Those crying exploding babies are more goofy than creepy though. :p

If you have kids in daycare
, then the crawlers are creepy. It's all about the first encounter. Babies man, fucking babies!

Awesome game all around, even if I got a little frustrated with Chapters 14 and 15 before I figured out I needed to change the way I was playing. The game kind of telegraphs it for you though, as you start getting more health drops from the enemies than before.

pakkit

Banned
Easter egg in Chapter 3:
Steve Papoutsis, executive producer and one of the main guys in all Visceral Interviews, is shown with a goofy haircut outside the "futuristic" barber shop.

It's small, but I thought it was neat nonetheless.

pakkit said:
Easter egg in Chapter 3:
Steve Papoutsis, executive producer and one of the main guys in all Visceral Interviews, is shown with a goofy haircut outside the "futuristic" barber shop.

It's small, but I thought it was neat nonetheless.
I noticed that too. In the same area there is an advertisement for levitation beds, one of which has a corpse lying on it, under which it reads "perfect sleep". The nursery is filled with little tongue in cheek craft projects too, like a brown paper bag puppet of a necromorph. I spent a long time on my first play through just looking at all the details in the environments.

Erekiddo

Finished the game, doing New Game+ now.

Question - why are there so many locked doors? I thought there would be a few, but there's a TON!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
NeoNess said:

Question - why are there so many locked doors? I thought there would be a few, but there's a TON!

Hopefully, lots and lots of single-player DLC.

NeoNess said:

So far having Ignition unlocks 4 Conduit Room doors, but that's it. The rest are a mystery.

Die Squirrel Die said:
So far having Ignition unlocks 4 Conduit Room doors, but that's it. The rest are a mystery.

I think...I think I read it somewhere in this very thread that DLC coming out is using these inaccessible doors. So they're using SOME Dead Space 2 assets when it comes to environments but also some new settings?

Not sure though...

bigdaddygamebot said:
I think...I think I read it somewhere in this very thread that DLC coming out is using these inaccessible doors. So they're using SOME Dead Space 2 assets when it comes to environments but also some new settings?

Not sure though...

It would make sense. It would be nice if it unlocks some more goodies rooms for Isaac though.

Edit: Dammit, I just found out about the infinite Power Nodes/Ruby Conductors glitch, just after I beat it again, an hour earlier and I would have been in a prime position to exploit it.

Just Finished Dead Space on the 360. Headed tor TRU for the sequel. Ps3 or 360 GAF?
Is Dead Space Extraction worth losing the 360 unlocks you get with your Dead Space save?

DAVIDHUXLEY said:
Just Finished Dead Space on the 360. Headed tor TRU for the sequel. Ps3 or 360 GAF?
Is Dead Space Extraction worth losing the 360 unlocks you get with your Dead Space save?

The only unlock from DS1 is a reskin for the Plasma Cutter. Performance wise they are supposedly as near identical as possible so that's not an issue. With the PS3 you do get Extraction for free (normally $15) but from what it sounds like it's not worth it without a Move controller which may then factor into your purchase.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I started playing the game today and reached the first hacking segment (with the stasis) and holy fuck I can't shoot the motherfucker dead! Stasis only lasts a few seconds, Isaac casually shakes his arm after hacking instead of pulling his fucking gun up right away, and I end up chopped in half after one hit.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Jinfash said:
I started playing the game today and reached the first hacking segment (with the stasis) and holy fuck I can't shoot the motherfucker dead! Stasis only lasts a few seconds, Isaac casually shakes his arm after hacking instead of pulling his fucking gun up right away, and I end up chopped in half after one hit.

This bits not really clear but you are meant to stasis him again. I know it's not well telegraphed but it's impossible to take him down otherwise.

I started a Survivalist playthrough and forgot that. I tried hitting his leg when he was still stasised by the malfunctioning machine and he didn't even flinch. Stasised him myself then hit his leg and it came off in one hit.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Die Squirrel Die said:
This bits not really clear but you are meant to stasis him again. I know it's not well telegraphed but it's impossible to take him down otherwise.
DURRRP

I didn't realize I was given the stasis ability by that time, I thought I had to rely on the machine's first stasis.

Thank you. Now I feel dumb.

Replicant

Okay, the Elevator trophy. How can I get all of those fuckers?!!! There are too many of them and even though they pose no risk whatsoever to my health, I just can't kill them fast enough before the elevator arrives and they flee. How many of them should we kill to get the trophy anyway?

Sidzed2

Replicant said:
Okay, the Elevator trophy. How can I get all of those fuckers?!!! There are too many of them and even though they pose no risk whatsoever to my health, I just can't kill them fast enough before the elevator arrives and they flee. How many of them should we kill to get the trophy anyway?

An easy solution:

1. Lower difficulty to casual (after saving right before stepping on the elevator);

2. Equip Force Gun (upgraded if possible);

3. Stand in the middle of the elevator and blast the tripods with the regular fire as and when they appear.

4. "Ding"

Jinfash said:

The legs. Go for the legs.

Once it's down. Shoot off an arm and that should kill it dead. or...if you're a bad ass (read: ammo conservationist), run up and stomp the shit out of it.

B33

Banned
Just hit Chapter 14.

Throwing in a necromorph that
can't die (read: übermorph)
is quite a frustrating layer on top of what you have to handle, as it is.

Started my third playthrough, and this just occurred to me... why the hell wouldn't EarthGov or CEC revoke Isaac's Engineer clearance status? The store and the... vents... recognize Isaac. Hahahaha, incompetent bastards.

I like Isaac's animation as he's entering the vents, little hand scanning bit.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Oh my fucking god. This would be incredible. Someone make this happen, PLEASE.
How did I miss these posts!? A tactical Space Hulk game with genestealer dismemberment and Dead Space set pieces... Though this will never happen I will sleep happily tonight. Thank you.

Got to find my Vengeance of the Blood Angels disc.

Frester

Does it make a difference whether I do my Zealot or Hardcore playthrough first? Finished my NG+ normal run today and wondering which I should do next.

edgefusion

B33 said:
Just hit Chapter 14.

Throwing in a necromorph that
can't die (read: übermorph)
is quite a frustrating layer on top of what you have to handle, as it is.

I absolutely loathed this part. It was the worst part of the original Dead Space and it totally sucks here too. Ruined that part of the game for me actually. I hope it doesn't make a return in Dead Space 3.

Elevator arenas can die in a fire too.

Jinfash said:

He shakes his arm around a bit because he's attaching the stasis module he just ripped from the machine. As soon as you can aim just hit the Necro with another round of stasis and shoot at your leisure.

I didn't know this, but Visceral are releasing viral suits on Multiplayer:

http://twitter.com/leveluptime

# The DS2 viral suit today was Yellow Urban Camo. about 1 hour ago via Echofon

# Thanks for playing Dead Space 2 MP at half time. Enjoy the special suit. about 1 hour ago via Echofon

# Viral suit is going out if you can kill me in ds2 MP. about 2 hours ago via Echofon

# On as leveluptime in DS2 MP. Come get something special if you kill me. about 2 hours ago via Echofon

I don't know what it is about dead space, but I just find it an unpleasant game to play. Its not even frightening anymore but there is a certain level of tension present that just forces to stop playing the game every half hour or about any time I hit a new save station. For some reason I just can't sit down and play it.

B33

Banned
Completed the game.

Enjoyed the refined gameplay, attention to detail, and overall polish found in the title's presentation.

The pacing, for the first two acts, is good. It's frantic and throws you into the action while also leaving enough intrigue to keep the ball rolling.

The third act, however, feels mixed, in comparison. The last two chapters, game-play wise, stagnate, and the return of a "familiar" flaw enemy succeeds in adding an unnecessary layer of frustration. It also suffers from the same rehashed feeling the first game boasted toward the last quarter of it.

The central antagonist,
Hans Tiedemann
, never really carries a presence past a voice or clip, which lessens the impact of a particular sequence involving
an impalement or two
at the
tail-end
of the game.

The organic HUB, push of interactive sequences in lieue of shallow quick-time events or cut-scenes, and zero gravity segments are commendable.

Isaac's personality and bouts of dementia gives one more footing to push the character forward, as the first title suffered from much of its impact being dulled due to its protagonist remaining a mute and faceless for a majority of it. It's just a shame that a chunk of this "personality" resulted in forced one-liners.

Overall, it's not bad. It manages to be more compelling than the first game, even if it's still quite flawed.

edgefusion said:
I absolutely loathed this part. It was the worst part of the original Dead Space and it totally sucks here too. Ruined that part of the game for me actually. I hope it doesn't make a return in Dead Space 3.

Elevator arenas can die in a fire too.
Agreed.

Although I'd take an elevator arena sequence over another loathsome appearance of
the übermorph

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I discovered earlier today, when I registered the iOS Dead space, that my PSN ID was linked to an old email address/EA account I stopped using in 2009, which explained why I wasn't able to get any EA-account-related goodies.

So I tried to migrate my PSN ID to the EA account I'm currently using, which proved to be not as simple as it sounds. I had to contact EA online support through live chat and go through a few authentication steps. The final step was confirming the DOB I used to when I registered the EA account.

Me: *real DOB*
Rep: I'm sorry but that DOB doesn't match the one in our database.
Me: *lots of begging for help*
Rep: Sorry sir but we're bound by rules. Try a different DOB.
Me: how about *slightly different DOB*
Rep: It's close, real close.
Me: *another DOB*!!
Rep: Thank you.
Rep: One moment please.
Rep: Your PSN ID has been successfully migrated.

:bow :bow :bow

Finished the first chapter last night and having my doubts after playing the demo I can finally say this is definitely dead space. The presentation and sound are incredible, cant wait to dive into it more. And I gotta say im suprised how good multiplayer is, its nothing special but I can see putting a good amount of hours into it.

Would anyone else love to see james cameron do a dead space movie?

Quick question, I got ignition from perorder but never bothered to play it because I heard it was shit. But I've now seen it unlocks stuff in game. So my question is, if I play and beat ignition now will I get that stuff in my dead space 2 game I already started? Or do I have to start a whole new game?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
bucknuticus said:
Quick question, I got ignition from perorder but never bothered to play it because I heard it was shit. But I've now seen it unlocks stuff in game. So my question is, if I play and beat ignition now will I get that stuff in my dead space 2 game I already started? Or do I have to start a whole new game?

Don't know. But the rooms that Ignition unlocks are definitely worth it, to the degree that I would say if you aren't too far in DS2, you should play Ignition and restart your DS2 game. IIRC, you only have to play up through the first save point in Ignition to unlock the rooms in DS2. It's worth youtub-ing the cutscenes, if you're interested in the broader DS2 story.

Replicant

Sidzed2 said:
An easy solution:

1. Lower difficulty to casual (after saving right before stepping on the elevator);

2. Equip Force Gun (upgraded if possible);

3. Stand in the middle of the elevator and blast the tripods with the regular fire as and when they appear.

4. "Ding"

Ooh! Thank you. I didn't think that was possible. I've done everything else except lowering the difficulty level.

Sidzed2

Replicant said:
Ooh! Thank you. I didn't think that was possible. I've done everything else except lowering the difficulty level.

Yup, you can lower it and then manually load your save game and keep going on whatever difficulty you were previously (normal, zealot, etc) after getting the trophy. I got this trophy on my zealot playthrough, FYI.

The other real trick is using the Force Gun, because its wide spread means you never really have to aim at the tripods' weakpoints; all you have to do is blast in their general direction and move on to the next one.

B33 said:
The central antagonist,
Hans Tiedemann
, never really carries a presence past a voice or clip, which lessens the impact of a particular sequence involving
an impalement or two
at the
tail-end
of the game.
Is he really the antagonist?

JohngPR

Just played the first two chapters tonight and I'm really loving it.

Everything so far is better, the gameplay is tighter, the graphics look better, and the introductory sequence was pretty damn cool.

You can tell that Visceral took a page from Uncharted with some of the sequences I"ve already seen and added their own touch to them.

If this game keeps it up at this pace, It'll definitely surpass DS1.

I played the multiplayer and it seems like it's fun although a bit on the shallow side. I think it'd be a bit more fun of I didn't play it with randomers. Anyone here playing the multi on PS3?

Top Bottom