• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

I have an Ignition save (saved after the first hack, not complete) and all the doors are still locked and I get no hacker suit. Anybody else experiencing this?

Hypertrooper said:
Is he really the antagonist?

He is an antagonist, but just one of several...
More than anything, the central antagonist is Isaac's own fractured mind that's being warped by Nicole and the Marker. Teidmann simply serves as an outside force that continually fucks things up for Isaac on his trek across the Sprawl. I do like the fact that Teidmann isn't really a bad guy. If you pick up the text and audio logs, you can see he was trying to ultimately do something good (even if he is a complete dick). I do wish Visceral had expanded his role more, there was more potential to be mined from the conflict between Isaac and Teidmann.

Beer Monkey said:
I have an Ignition save (saved after the first hack, not complete) and all the doors are still locked and I get no hacker suit. Anybody else experiencing this?

Never mind, found a hacker suit schematic in Chapter 2. Wish I'd found it sooner.

DigiMish

So in Chapter 10
(Ishimura)
, the enemy overslaught got ridiculous starting with the long tunnel. In many parts after that, they just kept coming and coming. Very disproportional from earlier in the game. I can see what people have been talking about. You can say it ruined what would have otherwise been a nostalgic chapter.

Only played about an hour so far; somebody remind me how upgrades work. The plasma cutter and the refurbished plasma cutter upgrade separately, correct? As in they are treated as separate weapons. Same with the rigs?

a Master Ninja said:
Only played about an hour so far; somebody remind me how upgrades work. The plasma cutter and the refurbished plasma cutter upgrade separately, correct? As in they are treated as separate weapons. Same with the rigs?

The 2 plasma cutters upgrade at the same time if I remember right.

DigiMish

a Master Ninja said:

They're separate weapons, but they share the same upgrade path and nodes, meaning that if you place 5 nodes in the plasma cutter, they'll automatically be there in the refurbished plasma cutter. Same for the hacker Contact Beam.

There's only 1 upgrade path for the rig, no matter which one you have on.

Also, later the game gives you an option to yank all the power nodes out of a thing for a 5k fee.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, doing a bit of research on the wiki, its no wonder how easy I found the last boss with the seeker rifle. Unless you're a terrible shot, when upgraded it might as well be the win button.

Carnby

final boss comment...

when fighting Nicole and her minions, walk up to Nicole and allow her to grab you. you will witness what is possibly the best death scene in the whole game.

jaekwon15 said:
final boss comment...

when fighting Nicole and her minions, walk up to Nicole and allow her to grab you. you will witness what is possibly the best death scene in the whole game.

you sadist ;)

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Jinfash said:
Has anyone tried any of the DLCs? I need some impressions before I bite.

Here's a listing of the DLC packs.

I got the Supernova pack, because I was having trouble getting through the first four chapters on Hardcore without it (
kept on dying at three big battles around/in the Unitologist cathedral and I was trying to get to the top of the church before my first save. Yes, I suck! :D
). It's helpful since it gives you the
ripper
, which as has been said previously in this thread, is probably one of the best weapons in the game when it comes to crowd rushes, and it gives you the
contact beam
, which is good for bosses. It also gives you a suit that increases stasis time by 10%. Oddly enough though, the
contact beam/line gun/increased stasis time didn't seem to affect the first boss you meet in the medical bay. I think Visceral wants you to just duke it out tediously with the the plasma cutter.
The nice thing about this pack is that it also unlocks all the ammunition for these guns, w/o having to pick up schematics, though you don't get these until the second store (another reason why I think Visceral really wants you to win the
first boss battle with the damn plasma cutter)

Note: I don't think the DLC packs are necessary at all if you're not trying Hardcore. The checkpointing is so good I never got frustrated on my first two playthroughs - and I died a lot, heh.
I was just getting really tired of playing through the first two chapters repeatedly on hardcore (guess this must be what quality assurance testing must be like). It's really easy to die in Chapter 1 for some reason (for me at least) and there're those damn
laundry and train
fights in Chapter 2 (although as a whole Chapter 2 is less frustrating then Chapter 1, since you have kinesis and stasis by that point).

Replicant

Warning: there is a glitch involving the Unitology suit and Vintage suit. When I bought the Vintage suit, all of a sudden my Unitology suit disappears (as opposed to being stored back into my safe). Luckily when I login back into the store I find it again and can be obtained for $0. But other people have reported that they experienced the same problem with Unitology and Security suit.

As a side note, how many suits do we get in the game anyway? So far I've only got: Security, Vintage, Engineering, Hacker (Ignition) and Unitology (CE).

ultron87

jaekwon15 said:
final boss comment...

Yeah. That one was pretty good. Though I really expected
him to shoot the javelin through his eye considering how much the game seems to enjoy eye violence. Especially if you got to see the one for messing up on the needle machine.

LiK

Replicant said:
Warning: there is a glitch involving the Unitology suit and Vintage suit. When I bought the Vintage suit, all of a sudden my Unitology suit disappears (as opposed to being stored back into my safe). Luckily when I login back into the store I find it again and can be obtained for $0. But other people have reported that they experienced the same problem with Unitology and Security suit.

As a side note, how many suits do we get in the game anyway? So far I've only got: Security, Vintage, Engineering, Hacker (Ignition) and Unitology (CE).
360 here and I didn't encounter any suit glitches. Bought all the ones available in the first playthrough and had the Zealot one here as well.

DigiMish said:
So in Chapter 10
(Ishimura)
, the enemy overslaught got ridiculous starting with the long tunnel. In many parts after that, they just kept coming and coming. Very disproportional from earlier in the game. I can see what people have been talking about. You can say it ruined what would have otherwise been a nostalgic chapter.

I did NOT want to go back to that fucking place expecting it to be a nest.

...and it didn't disappoint.

My second run through has been anxiety free except for when I just started chapter 10. I enjoy it, knowing I'm about to get my ass kicked.

People are confusing survival horror with destroying everything they come across. I want to get to the end of the level with two bars of health, limping and low on ammo. I want to SURVIVE, not dominate.

That level is the beginning of the end-game and it's a good reminder of just who the boss is in the future.

...in case you're not sure who I mean, the bosses are the necromorphs. :D

Macattk15

ultron87 said:
Yeah. That one was pretty good. Though I really expected
him to shoot the javelin through his eye considering how much the game seems to enjoy eye violence. Especially if you got to see the one for messing up on the needle machine.

Yeah I never really understood that.
If a needle goes through the pupil of your eye you are fine? But if you miss the spot you die a horrific death?

Minamu

My copy still haven't arrived :( Granted, zavvi have some serious issues with deliveries nowadays, but still. A class mate in the building across the street ordered it after I had recieved my dispatch mail, and his copy arrived last Tuesday, yet mine haven't arrived. Or maybe it has, and some jerk have stolen it while I was in school :( Or it's lost in transit, which is just as bad...

Trevelyon

Yeh boi

n71r3s.jpg

onto Extraction!

JRW

Wow so im on Chapter 11 and only now just realised there's no achievements for finishing the game on Survivalist lol. Why did I even bother with this difficulty then.. damn

jaekwon15 said:
final boss comment...

I love how his jaw goes wonky, nice detail

jaekwon15 said:
final boss comment...

You know what's better than that death scene?

Pausing in the middle of that death scene.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Is it just me or is the sound design of DS2 less impressive than the first?

I completed a run through DS1 right before I started 2, and if I were to compare the first few chapters of both games I'd say the first comes out on top in that department. It was the most unique thing about the series, I hope it gets better in later chapters :\

luxarific said:
Here's a listing of the DLC packs.

I got the Supernova pack, because I was having trouble getting through the first four chapters on Hardcore without it (
kept on dying at three big battles around/in the Unitologist cathedral and I was trying to get to the top of the church before my first save. Yes, I suck! :D
). It's helpful since it gives you the
ripper
, which as has been said previously in this thread, is probably one of the best weapons in the game when it comes to crowd rushes, and it gives you the
contact beam
, which is good for bosses. It also gives you a suit that increases stasis time by 10%. Oddly enough though, the
contact beam/line gun/increased stasis time didn't seem to affect the first boss you meet in the medical bay. I think Visceral wants you to just duke it out tediously with the the plasma cutter.
The nice thing about this pack is that it also unlocks all the ammunition for these guns, w/o having to pick up schematics, though you don't get these until the second store (another reason why I think Visceral really wants you to win the
first boss battle with the damn plasma cutter)

Note: I don't think the DLC packs are necessary at all if you're not trying Hardcore. The checkpointing is so good I never got frustrated on my first two playthroughs - and I died a lot, heh.
I was just getting really tired of playing through the first two chapters repeatedly on hardcore (guess this must be what quality assurance testing must be like). It's really easy to die in Chapter 1 for some reason (for me at least) and there're those damn
laundry and train
fights in Chapter 2 (although as a whole Chapter 2 is less frustrating then Chapter 1, since you have kinesis and stasis by that point).

Thanks! Yeah, I'm going for hardcore too, and ended up getting the Supernova pack after reading this. It's a good pack, and doesn't feel like paying for cheats as as much as DS1's packs.

ERGH the last boss is really pissing me off. I can't use health packs and I get fucked from behind from things I can't even see. To top it off, every fucking time I die I have to wait a fucking age to try it again because the death scenes are so fucking long. I really don't want to have to knock the difficulty down from Zealot so late in the game.

/rant

Using Contact Beam, Plasma Cutter, Line Gun and Ripper. Any tips?

LiK

MarshMellow96 said:
ERGH the last boss is really pissing me off. I can't use health packs and I get fucked from behind from things I can't even see. To top it off, every fucking time I die I have to wait a fucking age to try it again because the death scenes are so fucking long. I really don't want to have to knock the difficulty down from Zealot so late in the game.

/rant

Try using Contact alt for crowd control and use primary on boss.

MarshMellow96 said:

/rant

Ripper/Contact Alt Fire/Line Gun for the kids. Contact Primary Fire for Nicole and the Marker, assuming you have enough ammunition.

ultron87

MarshMellow96 said:

/rant

You can skip the long death scenes by hitting start and choosing "Checkpoint Restart".

Muffdraul

MarshMellow96 said:
To top it off, every fucking time I die I have to wait a fucking age to try it again because the death scenes are so fucking long.

I believe you can open the pause menu and hit "Return to Checkpoint" or whatever to skip those.

PolishQ

Lots of good strategies for the final boss in the previous posts; as for the long death scenes, you can bypass them by pressing pause - restart from checkpoint.

Update: I did it!

I kept getting past the second marker shooting section and getting killed by something. Managed to get a third and took it out. Feels good, man.

B33

Banned
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
He is an antagonist, but just one of several...
More than anything, the central antagonist is Isaac's own fractured mind that's being warped by Nicole and the Marker. Teidmann simply serves as an outside force that continually fucks things up for Isaac on his trek across the Sprawl. I do like the fact that Teidmann isn't really a bad guy. If you pick up the text and audio logs, you can see he was trying to ultimately do something good (even if he is a complete dick). I do wish Visceral had expanded his role more, there was more potential to be mined from the conflict between Isaac and Teidmann.
Well said.

He's played as an outside catalyst while
Isaac struggles internally
, but feels severely underdeveloped.

faceless007 said:
Weighing the merits of the PC version: Do I still need to register the game with an EA account if I'm only going to play single-player?
No one knows the answer? Does anyone here have the PC version?

faceless007 said:
No one knows the answer? Does anyone here have the PC version?

Upon first load of the game, it asked me to sign into my EA account, i have no idea if it tied the key to it (no mention was made). Pretty sure you dont have to sign in anyway, so if you dont, the key should never be locked to anything, with only the activation needing to be revoked (which you can do by right clicking the icon in Games Explorer and clicking Revoke).

luxarific

Nork unification denier
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Some higher quality Severed screens:

I'm not usually a fan of release-date DLC, but I have to say I wish they'd give us a date for Severed already. My space bucks are burning a hole in my virtual pocket.

Recently rewatched the Extraction cutscenes on youtube. Man, I'd forgotten how annoying Lexine is. Particularly compared to
Ellie. Actually, I wonder if Ellie is resistant to the marker a la Lexine - she didn't seem to be experiencing any ill effects, although it's not like you really got a chance to talk with her.

bucknuticus said:
Quick question, I got ignition from perorder but never bothered to play it because I heard it was shit. But I've now seen it unlocks stuff in game. So my question is, if I play and beat ignition now will I get that stuff in my dead space 2 game I already started? Or do I have to start a whole new game?

Bumping for new page.

Haven't seen this posted, if it was, doesn't hurt to have it posted again :)

Dr Pepper has three RIGs for download. Just get a code on the right of this page
http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/142/14293266.html
If you have ad-block enabled you probably wont see it. I used Google chrome incognito to get the three codes (refresh for a new code). Then go here http://www.drpepper.com/promotions/ea/ make an account for each code, log in your EA info then you should get the new suits :) Works for PC360

big_z

DigiMish said:
So in Chapter 10
(Ishimura)

wait until later the onslaught gets much worse. imo the game falls apart a bit from chapter 11 onward because of it.

jaekwon15 said:
final boss comment...

yeah i thought it was awesome but mainly because it looks hilarious.

Replicant

luxarific said:
Recently rewatched the Extraction cutscenes on youtube. Man, I'd forgotten how annoying Lexine is. Particularly compared to
Ellie. Actually, I wonder if Ellie is resistant to the marker a la Lexine - she didn't seem to be experiencing any ill effects, although it's not like you really got a chance to talk with her.

Hear, hear. I hope they'd at least recast the actress if they're planning to bring that character back for Severed. Because part of the annoyance was the way the actress speaks.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Replicant said:
Hear, hear. I hope they'd at least recast the actress if they're planning to bring that character back for Severed. Because part of the annoyance was the way the actress speaks.

And the over use of eye-makeup
And her silly hairdo

And I really want to see how visceral will tie all of these loose plot points for example as to why
Lexine is inmune to the Marker and sort of makes anyone near her inmune to the effects too while they are close to her.
So many loose ends, I hope they don't pull a Kojima.

JRW

Finished my first play through DS2 tonight, It was a struggle on Survivalist but oh what a great feeling of accomplishment as the end credits rolled.

DS1 & 2 are simply the best gaming experiences Ive had this generation, Kudos to all involved.

JEKKI

this game is too strong!!

I beat it on friday, I want to sell it since Im broke and wanna afford even more new games,

instead I have jus found myself restarting the game on higher difficulty!!

love it!!

MrTroubleMaker said:
Haven't seen this posted, if it was, doesn't hurt to have it posted again :)

Dr Pepper has three RIGs for download. Just get a code on the right of this page
http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/142/14293266.html
If you have ad-block enabled you probably wont see it. I used Google chrome incognito to get the three codes (refresh for a new code). Then go here http://www.drpepper.com/promotions/ea/ make an account for each code, log in your EA info then you should get the new suits :) Works for PC360

Is there actually anyway to get on the 'regular' IGN from a UK IP address? I just get uk.ign everytime...

Yeah.. The
regenerator
chapters weren't that bad for me. I got the feeling it was going to be crowded rooms like in the first, where you literally have to run around silly for a few minutes. The Ripper made things an awful lot easier, although there were some parts where I just had to run.

Best tip I found for the regenerator was to Ripper its legs off, put a Line Gun secondary in front of it and then stasis it. It gets caught on the mine, and, on top of it being a little slower, it ends up with no arms either! Good tactic for delaying the thing when you have to wire the door during your first encounter.

Synless

Confession time, I have only ever played the demo for any of these games. I know this is kind of a dumb question given the thread, but are these games good? I just played a demo for Extraction on the PS3 with Move and I have to say that I am intrigued. Is Extraction cannon?

Top Bottom