• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

luxarific said:
4, and they are spaced out, but not extremely evenly. There's one
in chapters 1, 2, 4 and 9. So glad that Franco bites it in the first few minutes of the game - Altman be praised, my ass.
Speaking of Fr
anco, you encounter him again, in Chapter 5. Video here. That's not my walkthrough, but that's where he is.

He's hard to differentiate from the other necromorphs at first, but after a couple playthroughs, I noticed his unique clothing...

...and after taking the time to stop and inspect him, the most telltale sign, the flashlight on his shoulder.

LiK

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Awesome, I never even considered that. I'm on my third run on Chapter 9, that's a little while ago.

the only thing i remember from that sequence is the awesome audio effects when i was blasting out. fucking amazing with a 7.1 setup.

Rolf NB

Anyone?
Rolf NB said:
So I've finally received my preorder of a UK copy from gamescollection.net, ordered on Jan-14. It's the limited edition alright. Extraction is included on the disc.

I was also hoping to get a code for the worthless piece of shit Ignition, so that I can unlock some goodies in the main game. But I can't find it. I have a code for the "online pass" on the back of the manual, and that's it.

Is this normal? Was Ignition not a part of the package at all in the EU? Or was it, but only for a group of retailers gc.net is not part of?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
MightyHealthy said:
Speaking of Fr
anco, you encounter him again, in Chapter 5. Video here. That's not my walkthrough, but that's where he is.

He's hard to differentiate from the other necromorphs at first, but after a couple playthroughs, I noticed his unique clothing...

...and after taking the time to stop and inspect him, the most telltale sign, the flashlight on his shoulder.

Heh, great catch. I really despise that
bastard, given what he did in Ignition.

Drewsky

I'm in Chapter 13 or 14, can't remember, it's when the
regenerator makes its surprise appearance
, and for the last couple chapters I've just felt like this game was getting to be kind of a chore. I've seriously loved it up until this point, but now it just feels like they're throwing tons of shit at me just for the sake of throwing tons of shit at me.

I've stayed out of this thread for the most part in order to avoid spoilers, but is this a common complaint? Or am I just being a pussy about it?

LiK

Drewsky said:
I'm in Chapter 13 or 14, can't remember, it's when the
regenerator makes its surprise appearance
, and for the last couple chapters I've just felt like this game was getting to be kind of a chore. I've seriously loved it up until this point, but now it just feels like they're throwing tons of shit at me just for the sake of throwing tons of shit at me.

I've stayed out of this thread for the most part in order to avoid spoilers, but is this a common complaint? Or am I just being a pussy about it?
Nothing wrong with avoiding spoilers. Someone spoiled the last boss cuz they forgot the tags. So you were wise.

hmm...I dont know if this is a bug or not but Im on my second play through and every time when I die now it hangs at the loading screen and just sits there saying loading... im playing on a PS3 slim. anyone else have this problem? I have to quit out then restart the game to continue playing.

Replicant

Rolf NB said:
So I've finally received my preorder of a UK copy from gamescollection.net, ordered on Jan-14. It's the limited edition alright. Extraction is included on the disc.

I was also hoping to get a code for the worthless piece of shit Ignition, so that I can unlock some goodies in the main game. But I can't find it. I have a code for the "online pass" on the back of the manual, and that's it.

Is this normal? Was Ignition not a part of the package at all in the EU? Or was it, but only for a group of retailers gc.net is not part of?

If I remember correctly, whether it's US or UK, you'll only get ignition if you pre-order in store with certain retailers.

I feel like such a wimp, I'm just past the elevator ride in chapter 7 in my Hardcore run but I'm already down 2 saves. I got nervous because I've had some instant deaths here before and I didn't want to chance it. I need to marathon as much as possible now, not sure whether to call it a night now though.

LiK

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Quick question. I just got to the first store. If I equip the zealot suit I got from the collectors edition, can I change the suit later on?

yes. you're not locked into higher lvl suits like in DS1. you can switch to any suit you have later.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Finally beat it.
The final boss. I hated that fight so much. I really wish there was a store by the save point before it so I could select my loadout. Took me about 30 tries, kept getting mobbed by those goddamn kids. Insta-death on proximity to your wife sucked as well. Very cheap fight, it played to the weaknesses of the control scheme and wasn't the least bit fun or clever. Loved the rest of the game though.

Started New Game+ and am really enjoying myself. Zealot seems a bit too hard for me, with many xenomorphs insta-killing you. I'm switching between zealot and second hardest depending on the situation.

Anyhow, I watched the entire credit roll. What I found interesting is there must have been at least 200-250 testers total on this game. Absolutely ridiculous.

Drewsky

FlyinJ said:
Finally beat it.
The final boss. I hated that fight so much. I really wish there was a store by the save point before it so I could select my loadout. Took me about 30 tries, kept getting mobbed by those goddamn kids. Insta-death on proximity to your wife sucked as well. Very cheap fight, it played to the weaknesses of the control scheme and wasn't the least bit fun or clever. Loved the rest of the game though.
Yeah I just now beat it too. This is what I'm saying, the last few chapters were just stupid imo, not story-wise, but the way they just throw hoards of enemies at you. And the last boss battle.

It just got really frustrating rather than being entertaining. Thought the first half was way better than the second half.

Replicant

Is there any suit that is better than the Zealot suit during the first playthrough? I've only gone as far as chapter 10 and have tried other suits but they're not as strong nor as slots-galore nor as sexy as the Zealot suit. But maybe I missed some super awesome suit somewhere.

rhino4evr

I had no problem on the last boss, but I also took the word of advice that this was "the last store" before the end and stocked up. The last level is basically about using Stasis and running for your life. I reached the last boss with plenty of ammo and health. The contact gun is a huge plus as well. My advice? If you are that low on funds sell everything and buy the contact gun, ammo, and med packs. Put all your nodes in your Stasis, Rig, and Contact Beam. Still having problems?...switch the difficulty to easy. It doesn't effect achievements.

Replicant said:
Is there any suit that is better than the Zealot suit during the first playthrough? I've only gone as far as chapter 10 and have tried other suits but they're not as strong nor as slots-galore nor as sexy as the Zealot suit. But maybe I missed some super awesome suit somewhere.
Yeah, the Vintage Suit found in chapter 8 gives you 5 more slots and more armor protection than that suit. It's found in a Node Locked door. You don't want to miss those in this game.

The best suit possible in your first playthrough is in chapter 11, also behind a Node Locked door.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Ahhh, finally beat Hardcore; feel like I've climbed Everest. It was a pain in the ass experience and not really "fun" as I define it, but the gun you get for beating the mode really does make it worth the blood, sweat and tears. It is simply hilarious. Monkey Pants you are a genius.

rhino4evr said:
I had no problem on the last boss, but I also took the word of advice that this was "the last store" before the end and stocked up. The last level is basically about using Stasis and running for your life. I reached the last boss with plenty of ammo and health. The contact gun is a huge plus as well. My advice? If you are that low on funds sell everything and buy the contact gun, ammo, and med packs. Put all your nodes in your Stasis, Rig, and Contact Beam. Still having problems?...switch the difficulty to easy. It doesn't effect achievements.

I made the mistake of whomping my money on the Advanced Suit. The fact that I made this decision meant that beating the boss on Survivalist diffculty became a near impossibilty does not speak well to the design decisions at the end of the game.

Surely game design 101 teaches you that infinite respawn enemies in a game that values asset management is a fucking bad idea. What made Visceral think it was a good idea all of a sudden?

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I made the mistake of whomping my money on the Advanced Suit. The fact that I made this decision meant that beating the boss on Survivalist diffculty became a near impossibilty does not speak well to the design decisions at the end of the game.

Surely game design 101 teaches you that infinite respawn enemies in a game that values asset management is a fucking bad idea. What made Visceral think it was a good idea all of a sudden?
To their credit, they give you a free Diamond Semiconductor ($25,000 credits) in the very next room after you get to the first store where you can buy the Advanced Suit. It's in chapter 12, with the giant drill. I found it impossible to miss, personally.

Hardcore save no3. Near the end of chapter 10. Not as far as I'd like but it's too late, I need rest.

Still I'm in good shape, lots of credits (hovering in the 90-100k range), I was a little concerned about my Contact Beam ammo stockpile but that's started to build nicely, plus once I get my last suit upgrade and a better idea of how much is left I can start buying it up more. I think I need another dozen or so nodes to upgrade everything (including air).

LabouredSubterfuge said:

Once you enter the EarthGov sector...basically run from bad guys as much as you can, particularly at the end when the Regerator is chasing your ass.

So here's my Hardcore Fail Log

Death #1 - Right at the beginning when you have to run in the escape jacket. Turned right when I should have went left. : / Somehow, my brain turned "Don't fuck up once!" into..."Hey, remember the part you've played three times before and did it right? Yeah...now, do it wrong."

Death #2 - Getting the stasis module. I thought I was a bad ass and didn't need to stasis a second time. Turns out...

Death #3 - End of the train sequence. The regular necros were no big deal with the Force Gun equipped and using TK to impale guys, as well as using Stasis. I forgot to switch to plasma cutter when the brute popped. Splash damage, not so effective against the brute it seems.

I've played the game three times and now working through a fourth playthrough on Hardcore is really, really fun and definitely adds some new anxiety to the game. Frustrating but good.

I can't help but think it's going to be A-1 fuckin' hard until I get some momentum built with power nodes and upgrades and then...as long as I play smart and don't take risks...it really shouldn't be too impossible.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Hardcore save no3. Near the end of chapter 10. Not as far as I'd like but it's too late, I need rest.

Good luck man. The last five chapters aren't really THAT much of a grind and they feel pretty short.

You're gonna feel like a king when you beat it though. :D

Die Squirrel Die said:

Still I'm in good shape, lots of credits (hovering in the 90-100k range), I was a little concerned about my Contact Beam ammo stockpile but that's started to build nicely, plus once I get my last suit upgrade and a better idea of how much is left I can start buying it up more. I think I need another dozen or so nodes to upgrade everything (including air).
Chapter 11 has like 5 hidden nodes so don't miss out on any of those!

Off the top of my head:

1. Once you actually enter the mines area (third room or so), look across the gap to your right (where a Necromorph [Stalker, I think?] appears - punctuated by music - and runs off) and shoot a green item box in the distance. Kinesis the node inside.

2. In this same room where you got the first node from across the gap, near the end of this area once you've walked past all the Cysts (exploding tumor Necros), there's a free node on the wall (in a blue node box) to the right of the door leaving this area.

3. When you get thrown out into space and are in the area where you have to move the lasers, there's a node somewhere here near one of the large mountainous walls that block you in. Just abuse the air cans to fly around endlessly until you find it.

4. In the area where you're high up and get attacked by like six black Necros back-to-back (and two Lurkers that attack you from the explosion canister-filled walkway below), make sure you grab the hard-to-miss freebie node here. If I remember correctly, this room is shortly before the Advanced Suit-containing node locked door but I might be wrong. Want to say it's definitely post space-lasers, though.

5. Near the end, before you take the long, Necro-filled elevator ride up to the Nicole acceptance part, make sure you get the node on the other side of the elevator when its at the bottom.

Replicant

TenshiOni said:
Yeah, the Vintage Suit found in chapter 8 gives you 5 more slots and more armor protection than that suit. It's found in a Node Locked door. You don't want to miss those in this game.

The best suit possible in your first playthrough is in chapter 11, also behind a Node Locked door.
I already got Vintage but I must have not read the fineprint clearly since I thought it'd only give me discount to the shop. Ugly suit though. :(

Replicant said:
I already got Vintage but I must have not read the fineprint clearly since I thought it'd only give me discount to the shop. Ugly suit though. :(

I like the clunky looking suits more than the skin-tight "ninja" suits. Isaac isn't exactly agile and I like it when he's thumping around and blasting the hell out of things like old-school Iron Man.

Monkey Pants said:
Our team goal during the production of Dead Space 2 was to create a 90 Metacritic game. Which is really hard, I'll tell you. We wanted to burn this in and hold ourselves to it so much, that we actually called our shot, Babe Ruth style.
Out of curiosity, was this decided internally at Visceral or did it come up from up higher?

I'm all for devs holding themselves to a high standard and wanting to make a stellar game, but using Metacritic as the metric is somewhat problematic to me in general.

Balphon

bigdaddygamebot said:
Death #2 - Getting the stasis module. I thought I was a bad ass and didn't need to stasis a second time. Turns out...

I bit it there the first time, too. I think he's invincible and will one shot you if you don't stasis him again, since I sure unloaded into him when he was running at me. Second time I made it all the way to Chapter 7 and saved, though, so keep at it; there's quite a bit more room for error once you make it out of the first few chapters.

Dunno if this has been talked about on here but apparently there's a save game out there that unlocks the elite suits for the PC version. It also unlocks the console exclusive DLC packs as they were all already on the disk :/

Why did they put this stuff on there and then not let people use it?

Scarecrow

Baloonatic said:
Dunno if this has been talked about on here but apparently there's a save game out there that unlocks the elite suits for the PC version. It also unlocks the console exclusive DLC packs as they were all already on the disk :/

Why did they put this stuff on there and then not let people use it?
$

JEKKI

whoo~!! jus beat my 2nd playthru!! Zealot difficulty!!

got dang freakin chapters 13~15... the reason why I prolly can't beat Hardcores mode >_<

codecow

faceless007 said:
Out of curiosity, was this decided internally at Visceral or did it come up from up higher?

I'm all for devs holding themselves to a high standard and wanting to make a stellar game, but using Metacritic as the metric is somewhat problematic to me in general.

What do you suggest instead?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Nothing wrong with developers having a target in mind, I mean if they aim to create a 90% game the consumers are the winners here.

But I don't think they should worry about Metacritic as much as reviews in general. Metacritic is flawed, it completely fucks up the letter graded reviews ( especially the C's and D's ).

codecow said:
What do you suggest instead?
Something that doesn't convert every rating scheme to a percentage using a subjective and arbitrary scale; doesn't treat all aggregate scores as equally weighted and comparable to each other regardless of number, type, or credibility of reviews counted; and doesn't use reviewers embarrassingly susceptible to the pre-release hype machine the AAA pubs have down to a science.

The problem is a lot bigger than Metacritic, admittedly.

LiK

faceless007 said:
Something that doesn't convert every rating scheme to a percentage using a subjective and arbitrary scale; doesn't treat all aggregate scores as equally weighted and comparable to each other regardless of number, type, or credibility of reviews counted; and doesn't use reviewers embarrassingly susceptible to the pre-release hype machine the AAA pubs have down to a science.

The problem is a lot bigger than Metacritic, admittedly.
Eh, just a personal team goal for the dev. Does it really matter who or what they wanted to use to motivate themselves? I'm sure other devs have their own methods. Kinda cool they shared this info with us.

Carnby

Don't get me wrong, I love this game. It is one of the best ones that I have played this generation. But there are a couple of things that bother me.

1) What is Visceral's obsession with baby monsters? Are they trying to be shocking by having dead babies in their game? (It's a video game, not a Marilyn Manson album.)

2) I thought the final boss was a great concept. I even found it somewhat challenging. But the ending its self was terrible. And waiting for the payoff at the end of the credits was not worth it.

Die Squirrel Die said:

hmmm, good luck with that. I started my last hc save on the end of chapter 11 iirc. The one just before you ride the mine lift and then enter the mine cavern with Ellie and that big drilling machine. Died about 3 times on the Alien necromorph section in Chapter 14 when it really isn't that hard tbh. I smashed the controller down shouting expletives. Finally did it and didn't feel any sense of accomplishment tbh. Just -_-

Finished this last week for the first time. Many playthroughs will follow :-D

One of the more intense experiences since Uncharted 2, funnily this gave me the same feeling as UC2: Amazing opening chapters, kinda lackluster at the end. Still an amazing ride and one of the most polished experiences this generation (and that says something). Can't wait for the Severed DLC, although the 100 kb suit DLC unlocks.....well money doesn't stink so whatever.

Thanks to codecow and monkey_pants for their continued feedback in the thread, the team deserves some well-earned R&R.

Replicant

TenshiOni said:

Take #2

Okay, now that I have a chance of comparing Vintage vs. Zealot, I can surely say Vintage is not stronger than Zealot suit.

Both Vintage and Zealot suits give 15% armor.

Vintage, however, gives you 20 inventory slots.
Zealot only gives you 15 inventory slots.

On the other hand, Zealot adds 5% damage when you use Force Gun, thus explaining why Zealot force gun is pretty much a one-hit-kill when used in conjunction with this suit.
Vintage only give you 5% discount at shop as its extra advantage.

Okay...so the "stasis necromorph" on hardcore is an asshole. He literally did a U turn in mid-air while in stasis to curve 180 degrees and hack the fuck out of me. : /

Top Bottom