• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Grisby

Scarecrow said:
whew! disc 1 done and haven't saved yet. Hopefully that checkpoint is for real. Not in a hurry to experiment with that.

Out of curiosity Scarecrow how long did that take you?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Anyone happen to have a DA2 armor code for xbox? My brother got it but its for the PS3 and it won't work for xbox version.

Kinyou

Scarecrow said:
whew! disc 1 done and haven't saved yet. Hopefully that checkpoint is for real. Not in a hurry to experiment with that.
As far as I know you should save before turning the console off, since the checkpoint is only temporary

Scarecrow

Grisby said:
Out of curiosity Scarecrow how long did that take you?
It's all a blur, man. I'd estimate b/n 3-4 hours.
Yeah, I know I need to save before I turn the box off. Going to try to get to the ship for my first save.

quinntendopower said:
by 90 score, does that also equal the total amount of minutes spent on the enemy placement and combat scenarios? whoops!

2jeo9vm.gif

UFRA

Monkey Pants said:
Sorry GAF. Someone on Twitter got it.

Check the back of the chair that Isaac uses to escape the Solar Array:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-10-dead-space-2/703064

LOL wow you guys weren't subtle about that at all. :p Very cool.

I'm on Chapter 10 now and just played that part earlier today. Too bad I didn't see the little contest prior to that. :(

Also, I like the little bits of humor to lighten the mood sometimes.

Chapter 10:
*riding tram to Ishimura Bridge* "Looks like they're all swarming to the Medical Deck, good thing you don't have to go there." *Automated voice: "Unexpected obstruction ahead. Welcome to the Medical Deck."* FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU lol

Scarecrow

Something I've noticed on this playthrough: I've been ignoring schematics for inventory space. But the store thinks I get them anyway. What's the point of finding schematics if the store is going to upload things anyway?

Is it worth it to get the PS3 version just for Extraction? It should be noted that I don't have a Move, so I would be playing it with a controller...

UFRA

WhiskeyKnight said:
Is it worth it to get the PS3 version just for Extraction? It should be noted that I don't have a Move, so I would be playing it with a controller...

Extraction is totally awesome with Move.

Personally, I wouldn't play an on-rails shooter with a regular controller. Just wouldn't be the same.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
Scarecrow said:
Something I've noticed on this playthrough: I've been ignoring schematics for inventory space. But the store thinks I get them anyway. What's the point of finding schematics if the store is going to upload things anyway?

The store will automatically get things, but levels later than you would have them if you get the schematics.

Draft

quinntendopower said:
by 90 score, does that also equal the total amount of minutes spent on the enemy placement and combat scenarios? whoops!
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Brutal, and not undeserved.

Here's a tutorial on how to use stasis, hm that's good. The enemy in the tutorial is an instant kill, that's bad. The checkpoint is right before the tutorial, that's good. The tutorial also requires you to complete a stupid puzzle, that's bad.

They clearly spent a lot of effort making this awesome opening sequence, and I wanted to play it in a single sitting, but it's just too annoying after dying five times.

LiK

Monkey Pants said:
The store will automatically get things, but levels later than you would have them if you get the schematics.

kinda wish you guys included an armor gallery so we could easily check them out in the menu. love the designs.

Kinyou

LiK said:
kinda wish you guys included an armor gallery so we could easily check them out in the menu. love the designs.
Or maybe even an extra button to put the helmet on and off, I sometimes switched the suit at the store just to see again how the helmet "build" itself up around Issacs head.

Replicant

quinntendopower said:

2rmxqua.gif

Kinyou said:
Or maybe even an extra button to put the helmet on and off, I sometimes switched the suit at the store just to see again how the helmet "build" itself up around Issacs head.

Yes, I love that cutscene. I just wish I don't have to go go the store to do it. It'd also be great if it's an in-game thing instead of canned animation.

my god how in the fuck is the disappearing objectives glitch STILL in the game? the beta ended in oct or some shit and it was known then. christ.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I have nothing to discuss. I'm just here to say that the game is FUCKING AWESOME, I loved every bit of it and it exceeded my expectations, I'm just glad there's a dev here reading this !

I wasn't expecting to like the voice acting as much as I did, Isaac and everyone else were REALLY great and added so much to the game.

DLC please ?

Yurt said:
I have nothing to discuss. I'm just here to say that the game is FUCKING AWESOME, I loved every bit of it and it exceeded my expectations, I'm just glad there's a dev here reading this !

I wasn't expecting to like the voice acting as much as I did, Isaac and everyone else were REALLY great and added so much to the game.

DLC please ?

Severed is coming soon-ish...

rhino4evr

I finished the game tonight. A few comments.

Loved it. Scariest game ever made. I don't know why people think it's "not scary at all" you folks got balls. Yes I've played every RE, SH, and FF game. I dont think those games are scarier.

Difficulty the last 5 chapters was tough even on Normal..even though I never ran out of ammo or health it was still pretty difficult. Loved Chapter 10..which gave me the most trouble..but was totally worth it.

The Contact Gun is useless until it's upgraded to charge faster..but then it's the beat weapon
In the game.

I should have upgraded kinesis sooner.

The plasma cutter is overrated..at least on this board. I prefer the line gun in almost every occasion. Didnt try the Force Gun, Flamethrower, Sniper, or Mine Gun.

I basically ran through the last two chapters. But i think thats the goal. Last boss was a little disappointing.

Overall 9.5/10

More Please.

Edit : I think RE4 may still be the better game overall but I'm a sucker for boss fights..not enough of those in DS2

didn't read much of this thread before playing this game because I didn't want spoilers. just beat it tonight and wow what a great game this was! i have nothing negative to say about it, I enjoyed the ride. I will buy dead space 3 day 1!

gdt

Dead Space does need more boss fights. Man, they could come up with what ever they wanted, really. Boss fights in outer space, please.

LiK

gdt5016 said:
Dead Space does need more boss fights. Man, they could come up with what ever they wanted, really. Boss fights in outer space, please.
This is what I hope to see in DS3.

Sidzed2

gdt5016 said:

The lack of compelling antagonists is one of the chief (albeit very few) failings of the series so far.

Sidzed2 said:
The lack of compelling antagonists is one of the chief (albeit very few) failings of the series so far.

Teidmann had a lot of potential, but they didn't really go too far into his conflict with Isaac, which would have been cool. As I recall, Teidmann stated he'd spent years sifting through Isaac's "demented brain", so more payoff and closure would have been nice... instead we got a cutscene and a simple (albeit awesome) kill. Hopefully next game the human adversaries are a bit more formidable, though I did think Nicole made for a good final boss. Liked the Battle in the Center of the Mind nature of it.

gibration

Just beat the game and thought it was really good except for those last two chapters. Definitely one of my favorite survival horror games though.

Rolf NB

So I've finally received my preorder of a UK copy from gamescollection.net, ordered on Jan-14. It's the limited edition alright. Extraction is included on the disc.

I was also hoping to get a code for the worthless piece of shit Ignition, so that I can unlock some goodies in the main game. But I can't find it. I have a code for the "online pass" on the back of the manual, and that's it.

Is this normal? Was Ignition not a part of the package at all in the EU? Or was it, but only for a group of retailers gc.net is not part of?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Sidzed2 said:

Given what we've seen in the two main games, the gamelets, and all the ancillary media, it seems clear that the
Marker itself is his chief antagonist. I find this far more ominous and intimidating than if he had a human or alien bad guy opposing him. Whatever the Marker is, it seems extremely successful at convincing large numbers of people to do its dirty work (in addition to the necromorph minions it apparently controls directly). So not only does Issac have to worry about destroying the physical manifestations of the Marker and its army, he has to overcome what is essentially an extremely powerful meme.

In DS2, he was successful in defeating the Marker inside his mind (and it's accompanying avatar on Titan Station). In DS3, he'll presumably take the battle back to the Unitologists and Earthgov. The introduction of the Overseer(s?) at the very end of DS2 and in Aftermath (I think they're in Salvage too, but I haven't read it yet), seems to be an acknowledgment by Visceral that need to individualize Issac's opponents, but I hope they resist the temptation to make DS3's ending a one-on-one fight against an Overseer or Overseers.

One of the scariest things about the games to me, is that Issac is essentially out there alone. Not only does he have to worry about reanimated dead people trying to kill him, he has Earthgov and massive cult that pervades all levels of society trying to capture him as well, both of which are apparently being directed in subtle and non-subtle ways by the Marker itself. How does one person overcome that? It's intimidating even to think about and a far more frightening "opponent" to me than a big Hive Mind boss with glowing yellow spots. That's why I really enjoyed DS2's emphasis on his internal struggle with the Marker and with the Unitologists and Earthgov along the way to the final battle. (While I wasn't fond of the final battle with the mental Nicole/Marker, this was more because of the gauntlet you had to run to get to them and the fact that if you hadn't prepared appropriately, you'd have a very difficult and tedious time taking them down.)

So anyways, tldr, now that DS2 has seen Issac victorious in overcoming the Marker in his mind, I hope Visceral resists the temptation to make the third game all about Overseers v Issac and keeps the focus on this inhuman opponent, the Marker itself.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Hypertrooper said:
If I remember correctly, Monkey Pants said that
the marker doesn't control the necromorphs

I'm just basing that on the fact that they appear to be worshipping the Marker at the end of DS2. I could be/am probably wrong. :)

Dyno

I just played the beginning of Chapter 14:

This is after Isaac runs from the Earth Gov. blockade. He gets up to the control room and pulls the power which opens the doors and lets all the necromorphs in. This time through I got to watch all the necros stream in and I saw the ubermorph stroll in like a boss.

So Isaac unleashed hell on other humans, he used the necromorphs for his dirty work. I didn't quite catch that the first time through. I know he was desperate in that situation but it's also pretty damn dark.It don't like it or dislike it, it's just disturbing.

I stopped for the night before going any further. From here in its all hard times.

The real Dead Space starts here...

K' Dash

Sidzed2 said:

After DS2 is almost obvious that
The Overseer
is the main antagonist, that's the same dude who shat on Tideman on that text log almost at the end and speaks about
the other (posible) 11 marker sites

LiK

Dyno said:
I just played the beginning of Chapter 14:

This is after Isaac runs from the Earth Gov. blockade. He gets up to the control room and pulls the power which opens the doors and lets all the necromorphs in. This time through I got to watch all the necros stream in and I saw the ubermorph stroll in like a boss.

So Isaac unleashed hell on other humans, he used the necromorphs for his dirty work. I didn't quite catch that the first time through. I know he was desperate in that situation but it's also pretty damn dark.It don't like it or dislike it, it's just disturbing.

I stopped for the night before going any further. From here in its all hard times.

The real Dead Space starts here...
Whatever it takes! That was a great scene. I liked that it wasn't a cutscene. Much scarier.

ajim

LiK said:
Whatever it takes! That was a great scene. I liked that it wasn't a cutscene. Much scarier.
Lol yeah the whole time I was thinking "Poor bastards.... Fuck. Now I have to go down there :(".

So good.

Top Bottom