• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

I started a new hardcore save after making it to chapter 14 and died, my last save was a bit from the drill ride on chapter 11. Now I played all the way to the end of chapter 7 before I saved. Last time this was my second save.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
faceless007 said:
Something that doesn't convert every rating scheme to a percentage using a subjective and arbitrary scale; doesn't treat all aggregate scores as equally weighted and comparable to each other regardless of number, type, or credibility of reviews counted; and doesn't use reviewers embarrassingly susceptible to the pre-release hype machine the AAA pubs have down to a science.

The problem is a lot bigger than Metacritic, admittedly.

I agree that Metacritic sucks as an indicator of quality. I'm wondering if their publisher linked any bonuses to the aggregate MC score. It would be lame if EA set a MC bar before they'd hand out bonuses, but if they did, I wouldn't blame the developers for trying to reach that bar. Money is money and people have got to eat.

Arjen

Finally got around to starting this, just made it to chapter 3, and loving it so far.
Small question, what's the difference between the regular plasma cutter and the refurbished one?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Arjen said:
Finally got around to starting this, just made it to chapter 3, and loving it so far.
Small question, what's the difference between the regular plasma cutter and the refurbished one?
Only appearance. If you upgrade one, the other automatically gets upgraded too.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Arjen said:

It's just a skin. Nodes that you apply to the regular cutter will also be applied to the refurb one. This also goes for any other DLC skins that you obtain if you played the XBLA game or those you buy on the store. These suits/guns may come with better attributes, but any nodes you apply to their "base" counterparts in the store (and vice versa), will be applied to the skin variants. E.g., add a node to the
hacker contact beam
--> if you then go on to buy the
normal contact beam
in the store (don't know why you would, this is just an example), that node will be applied to the
normal contact beam

EDIT: beaten by a mile

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Baloonatic said:
Dunno if this has been talked about on here but apparently there's a save game out there that unlocks the elite suits for the PC version. It also unlocks the console exclusive DLC packs as they were all already on the disk :/

Why did they put this stuff on there and then not let people use it?

errr what? This seems very wierd.

Replicant

Remember that bug with Zealot/Security suit I mentioned a few days/weeks ago? I finally found a solution:

BUG: When Isaac already wears the Zealot suit and changes into Vintage (or any other suits), Zealot suit disappears from your safe box.
SOLUTION: Quit the store and return back again. The Zealot suit should be in the store again and can be purchased for $0.

If, however, you purchase the Zealot suit right away, this will create an entirely new bug:

BUG: When Zealot suit is equipped while the Security suit is in your safe box, the security suit will disappear. It will show up at the store again if you quit the store and return to it. BUT you'd have to spend $20,000 to purchase it again.
SOLUTION: If you changed into Vintage and want to change back to Zealot, don't purchase the Zealot right away. Go to your safe, equip the Security suit. Done? Then go back to the store and buy the Zealot Suit for $0. You should now see your Security suit back in the safe box.

This is very annoying though so I hope EA/Visceral will do a patch soon. The problem is with PS3 version.

luxarific said:
I agree that Metacritic sucks as an indicator of quality. I'm wondering if their publisher linked any bonuses to the aggregate MC score. It would be lame if EA set a MC bar before they'd hand out bonuses, but if they did, I wouldn't blame the developers for trying to reach that bar. Money is money and people have got to eat.

I seem to remember an article where this was claimed as EA's company policy (don't know about its claim to truth though). I think it's quite ironic to change the company mission to deliver unique quality and then use a defunct system of monetairy incentives to make your employees deliver said quality.
That said, EA's qualitative output in its tripple A offering has made a remarkable recovery, but its customer unfriendly choices (ea accounts, Online Pass, and some more) put that recovery at severe risk.

I can't be the only one who hasn't even touched DS2's online mode for the sole reason of avoiding using the online pass.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
IonicSnake said:
The DLC you buy of the PS Store are only 100kb so I asume they are already on the disc. But this is not anything new these days.

granted, but we're talking about DLC for the pc that strangely has been omitted from anykind of PR talk out there. And now all of the sudden a simple savefile gives the pcplayers access to the suits that were previously thought to not even come to the pcversion.

Zeitgeister said:
I seem to remember an article where this was claimed as EA's company policy (don't know about its claim to truth though). I think it's quite ironic to change the company mission to deliver unique quality and then use a defunct system of monetairy incentives to make your employees deliver said quality.
That said, EA's qualitative output in its tripple A offering has made a remarkable recovery, but its customer unfriendly choices (ea accounts, Online Pass, and some more) put that recovery at severe risk.

I can't be the only one who hasn't even touched DS2's online mode for the sole reason of avoiding using the online pass.

I thought it was Activision and not EA that pushed for Metacritic scores and used good scores as a measurement of success?

Anyway...I don't understand the Metacritic hate. Are all reviews questionable? Yep. It doesn't matter how Metacritic arbitrarily calculates the percentages from other websites.

It's a tool and a relatively handy one for intelligent folk capable of exercising some perspective.

codecow

faceless007 said:
Something that doesn't convert every rating scheme to a percentage using a subjective and arbitrary scale; doesn't treat all aggregate scores as equally weighted and comparable to each other regardless of number, type, or credibility of reviews counted; and doesn't use reviewers embarrassingly susceptible to the pre-release hype machine the AAA pubs have down to a science.

The problem is a lot bigger than Metacritic, admittedly.

We also look at gamerankings and we also have other internal metrics to gauge critical reception.

Hardcore mode beaten. I think I went to the bathroom 4 times during the last 2 chapters. By the end I had so much CB ammo I was just abusing the alt fire.

Still got a fair number of weapon trophies to mop up, then Zealot.

Corky said:
granted, but we're talking about DLC for the pc that strangely has been omitted from anykind of PR talk out there. And now all of the sudden a simple savefile gives the pcplayers access to the suits that were previously thought to not even come to the pcversion.

Yeah, I don't really get it. EA are going around and getting the file removed from various file hosting sites as well as deleting threads about it on their forum :/ It's not like they're losing money from it as it's not even available to buy.

Kind of bizarre, though. Put this stuff on the disk and then not even give people the option to purchase it? So the only way to get it is through a save game? Crazy. And the Elite suits should be available anyway.

TheHakku

codecow said:
Did anyone see us during the viral suit dev event?
Nope, but totally played. First time playing DS2. Got the first pair of viral suits. Completed every objective as a human during one round. Felt pretty good.

Back to my Survivalist run, saving and checkpoints and dying, oh my.

Oh and well done to Visceral, a lot of times doing something like Hardcore you get a crappy reward but the Hand Cannon does not dissapoint.

When they said they were going for Modern Warfare 2 levels of action, they werent kidding. I'm a little disappointed.

Also I think having Isaac talk after a full game of no speaking was a bad idea.

Cruzader

Banned
Did I miss the DS2 online event thing with the Devs for some suits?? Still playing the first one but wanna jump in to get the suits, if I can still.

I forgot where I read an article on it, can't find it now.

TheHakku

Cruzader said:
Did I miss the DS2 online event thing with the Devs for some suits?? Still playing the first one but wanna jump in to get the suits, if I can still.

I forgot where I read an article on it, can't find it now.
They're viral, so if you kill someone who has the suits, you'll get them. And then once you have them, anyone that kills you will get them as well!

Cruzader

Banned
TheHakku said:
They're viral, so if you kill someone who has the suits, you'll get them. And then once you have them, anyone that kills you will get them as well!
Oh yea but my concern is If this "event" is only for tonight? Or once someone is "infected" the player can keep spreading the suit?

I know I've not really chimed in before but I want to give my thoughts on the last boss. Played on Survivalist and dropped the difficulty for the last few chapters.

Maybe it's different on higher difficulties so I don't want to sound patronising, but the last boss was...well great. Loved how it fit the theme of Isaac's guilt, one hit from Nicole was enough to make you stay away. The mob of kids were easy to take down, dying in one hit and dropping ammo, and the heart was a clear target, at least for me. So I guess what I'm saying is as a culmination of the games themes it worked, and as a pasted in boss it was fine. The fact that they gave you full clips helped.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Quick question about upgrading weapons: If I use power nodes to upgrade a weapon, say the Plasma Cutter, would those upgrades carry over to the DLC upgraded versions? I really hope the bench upgrades the class and not the individual weapons.

Bildocube

I need some help with the final boss on the last chapter on Survivalist. This is fucking killing me.

I have only 67 pulse rounds, and I only have a plasma cutter and a pulse rifle. no med packs, no stasis packs (but fully upgraded rig), nothing. how the fuck do i get by this shit????? im about to toss some controllers people. im so fucking close!

Drewsky

Rush2thestart said:
When they said they were going for Modern Warfare 2 levels of action, they werent kidding. I'm a little disappointed.

Also I think having Isaac talk after a full game of no speaking was a bad idea.
I thought the Uncharted 2 comparison was more apt, with the QTEs and such. I don't mind having Isaac talk, in fact I like that change. Other than that though, I agree with you. I enjoyed the first game a little more.

Tarin02543

I've been playing hardcore on my first run but now I am stuck in the medical bay on the Ishimura. This is just too much, those bastards with the yellow bomb are everywhere and I dont have enough ammo to kill them from far away.

Carnby

Bildocube said:
I need some help with the final boss on the last chapter on Survivalist. This is fucking killing me.

I have only 67 pulse rounds, and I only have a plasma cutter and a pulse rifle. no med packs, no stasis packs (but fully upgraded rig), nothing. how the fuck do i get by this shit????? im about to toss some controllers people. im so fucking close!

every single shadow drops ammo. try attacking them immediately. also, there is a store right before the final boss. could you just buy some ammo and health there? sell off your guns for cash.

BeeDog

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-, I hate myself. Started my Hard Core run, literally plowed my way through the first 3 chapters, then I fucking die from two regular necros at the start of chapter 4 (in the round room). Fucking hell. :/

Might go for one of the DLC's just to reduce the amount of anger; which one is considered to be the best? Is it the Supernova Pack?

BeeDog said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-, I hate myself. Started my Hard Core run, literally plowed my way through the first 3 chapters, then I fucking die from two regular necros at the start of chapter 4 (in the round room). Fucking hell. :/

Might go for one of the DLC's just to reduce the amount of anger; which one is considered to be the best? Is it the Supernova Pack?

I bought the Nova pack and the Martial Law pack, helped me quite a bit.

BeeDog said:
Any particular reason why you also bought the Martial Law pack?

I wanted the javelin gun and the forcegun. The forcegun helps a lot from start and javelin gun with alt-fire fully upgraded is very good from chapter 13-15.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I love seeing Valve seep into everything else this gen. The progression from running to the flashlight to telekinesis to the gun to the stasis was damn nice.

Replicant

Yay! Yay! Yay! Finished! Well, normal version that is. Fuck, chapter 13 and 14 were nightmare just like the last moment before final boss fight in DS1 but this time spread into 2 chapters.

Ubermorph was annoying but quite managable actually. My stasis were already maxed so it helped alot. Ditto contact beam's alt-fire since it freezes and breaks ubermorph legs haha. It's the other fuckers thaf are dangerous. Anyway, I threw that ubermorph into a fan so he won't interfere in the final battle.

Final battle was simply challenging not easy or difficult like many described. My final weapons were plasma cutter (with special attack node activated), line gun, Zealot force gun, and hacker contact beam (with special attack node activated).

My tactic:
do not let Nicole touch you or you'd insta-death. Use contact- beam alt-fire to destroy her. One will stop her in her track and 2-3 will evaporated her so the marker's heart will open. Once this happens either use plasma cutter (faster but weaker) or force gun's altfire (stronger but slower) to blast it. Ignore the other monsters while blasting. Once marker is closed, just heal immediately. I've been playing the game like perfectionist and managed to store 24 x medium health packs, 3 x large health packs, and 6 x small health packs. So I took at least 10 health packs with me before chapter 15 started. Anyway, repeat the movements (obliterate Nicole with contact beam's alt, shoot marker, heal) and you should be ok.

Final note: Isaac is a badass leading character at this point in the story IMO. I wouldn't mind seeing other new characters in the sequel but hopefully Isaac will headline another game one day. And oh, nice touch on the menu screen how the marker is fully constructed once you finish the game once.

Keikoku

Banned
I'm in chapter 9 right now (4h30/5h). Loving the game so far, better than the first one in pretty much every way. There's so much variety in the environnments compared to the Ishimura, and I do love the cinematic orientation. I don't think it's more action packed than DS1 which had a lot of action as well. But this time they nailed the cinematic/badass feeling, and the gunplay feels so much better (new weapons are neat) Graphics and art direction are stunning on PC. Lighting is just gorgeous. New zero-G is awesome. Oh and I might be a wuss but I do find it to be scary. Not all the time for sure, but I'm not playing this as I'm playing Gears or even RE5.
Some things I find annoying so far : necromorphs spamming in small rooms/narrow corridors, and the lack of bosses so far (I think DS1 had amazing bosses, among my favorites this gen).
But these are minor issues really. Overall it's definitely the kind of sequel that I'd like to see more often. I'd say the Alien/Aliens comparison is pretty accurate.

Finished DS1 last night and popped this in instantly after... The improvements are immediately apparent, especially the much superior combat. Love how TK is useful for combat, you can actually shoot off a monsters arm and then kill him with his own arm.

codecow

Cruzader said:
Oh yea but my concern is If this "event" is only for tonight? Or once someone is "infected" the player can keep spreading the suit?

No, they keep spreading. There are now 4 out there:

Solid Viral White - Prima guys were initial source
Tiger Viral Yellow - Steve P., Scott P., Ryan M., and myself were sources during half time at Superbowl.
Solid Viral Blue, Tiger Viral White - Play With Dev events, many sources.

Finished it a few minutes ago. Fantastic game. Probably the most refined game I've played this entire generation.

Also, why do so many people have a problem with the chapters leading up to the endgame? Given the context of what went down I think it was entirely appropriate. Stuff was popping off and you had to hustle to stop disaster. I mean if it had been a TIMED sequence I think people would have reason to complain but as it was I thought it was great. Additionally the game's systems held up well and timely drops and save points/stores/benches seemed just about perfect to me.

BeeDog said:
Fuck, used my second Hard Core save at the beginning of chapter 8... this will be a fucking hell from now on. :/

I used my 2nd one even earlier. Ughhh. :(

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Just completed NG+. The end boss is laughably easy with the Contact Beam this time round. Makes such a difference.

Two shots to the marker. I lol'd.

BeeDog said:
Fuck, used my second Hard Core save at the beginning of chapter 8... this will be a fucking hell from now on. :/

I did that with my first hardcore save and spent my last save before chapter 11. So I started over and made it to end of chapter 7 before using my first save.

Drewsky

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Just completed NG+. The end boss is laughably easy with the Contact Beam this time round. Makes such a difference.
Yeah, I used the Contact Beam and it worked beautifully. Secondary for the little kid shades and the primary for the boss, worked perfect.

Minamu

Lots of talk about hard core here (my copy has still not arrived...). Making it all the way to chapter 7 without saving makes it sound easier than I thought. True?

BeeDog

Minamu said:
Lots of talk about hard core here (my copy has still not arrived...). Making it all the way to chapter 7 without saving makes it sound easier than I thought. True?

Not really, no. It's pretty hard, since every death demoralizes you. :p There are a couple of spots in the game where you can die instantly which makes it harder.

Top Bottom