• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

LiK

Replicant said:
Is the normal Force Gun still as lame as the one on DS1? I don't know since I've only been using the Zealot Force Gun and it's almighty powerful even at the start so I thought the normal one wouldn't be too bad either.
Zealot Force gun is pretty badass. But I think the reload is slower than regular Force Gun when both are not upgraded.

Gribbix

G00SE said:
I'm sure this has been asked but: If I play through on normal will I be able to keep my guns and upgrades for the next run? I know with DS1 you couldn't?
Yes. This time you can carry weapons/suits/upgrades over into higher difficulty levels (except for hardcore mode).

Kinyou said:
I also liked how all the
visions of Isaac getting a needle rammed in his eye made sense in the end. It's not very common to see something like this pulled through from start until the ending in a videogame

Foreshadowing for the win.

Dyno

Gribbix said:
Yeah, they did a good job with that. The eye/needle thing is continually foreshadowed from the very start of the game. When you're first escaping from the outbreak and see the video recording of Foster interrogating Stross, Foster comments on how his eye is healing nicely. Shortly after that, you come across this drawing in the patient observation room. This image is also in the same general area, but I'm not sure it necessarily has to do with the eye/needle machine since it is a medical center. Then there is Isaac's mental episode where he tries to stab himself in the eye which is followed by Stross stabbing Ellie's eye out.

Very nice. I give them props for this.

Dyno

SamuraiX- said:
Fuck that noise.

The Force Gun is my favorite weapon in DS1 next to the plasma cutter. So damn awesome if you use it effectively.

It has the best primary fire/alternate fire combo in the game.

I've liked the Force Gun enough to fully upgrade it and I think it's sufficiently powerful.

The Force Gun excels when you're being swarmed. A blast or two gives you the room to pull another weapon or move. It is also very economical for killing smaller creatures rather than emptying your Plasma Cutter.

What's more you don't actually have to aim it all that well, which means you can blast in the general direction of a swarm but keep your eyes on other things so that you have better spacial awareness. This is especially handy when those pack creatures attack because they come from all directions.

Oh wow, incredible. Now that I navigated that piece of shit section, the final boss is unbeatable because I don't have enough health or ammo. That's some special game design right there. Bravo. Guess I'll watch the ending on Youtube.

Mudkips

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Oh wow, incredible. Now that I navigated that piece of shit section, the final boss is unbeatable because I don't have enough health or ammo. That's some special game design right there. Bravo. Guess I'll watch the ending on Youtube.

Reload last save point, buy more health and ammo?
Alternatively, suck less?

You can stasis and melee HalluciNicole down.
Then you can melee one of the giblets, and kinesis them about a bit into the others to scrounge up some ammo and shit.

You could go into the fight naked and come out a winner.

Mudkips said:
Reload last save point, buy more health and ammo?
Alternatively, suck less?

You can stasis and melee HalluciNicole down.
Then you can melee one of the giblets, and kinesis them about a bit into the others to scrounge up some ammo and shit.

You could go into the fight naked and come out a winner.

1. I have no money because I bought the advanced suit and the final sections prevent you from picking things up because you're running.

2. The final section was drain on my resources even though I had very little going in to it anyway.

3. This means that I have no stasis packs, nor the means to afford more on my previous save point, rendering your strategy useless to me.

4. On having tried the last boss a number of times, the amount of useful stuff they drop is random. I can make it through two rounds then I inevitably get swarmed and I have no ammo by that point.

I'll try stasis and melee but I'll be impressed and slightly bemused if it actually works.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to run a little contest.

Our team goal during the production of Dead Space 2 was to create a 90 Metacritic game. Which is really hard, I'll tell you. We wanted to burn this in and hold ourselves to it so much, that we actually called our shot, Babe Ruth style.

Ruth1932-1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babe_Ruth's_called_shot

I'm happy to say that we followed through: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/dead-space-2

Somewhere in DS2 is a reference to this goal. It is in plain sight. First person to post a screenshot or detailed description of where this reference occurs gets a prize from us.

~ Ian

LiK

LabouredSubterfuge said:

switch to Casual for the final section?

Monkey Pants said:
Hi Everyone,

Our team goal during the production of Dead Space 2 was to create a 90 Metacritic game. Which is really hard, I'll tell you. We wanted to burn this in and hold ourselves to it so much, that we actually called our shot, Babe Ruth style.

Ruth1932-1.jpg

I'm happy to say that we followed through: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/dead-space-2

Somewhere in DS2 is a reference to this goal. It is in plain sight. First person to post a screenshot or detailed description of where this reference occurs gets a prize from us.

~ Ian

congrats! guess i'll try looking during my PS3 run

SamuraiX-

Monkey Pants said:

Oh shit.

Congrats on achieving your goal, but even if you didn't, fuck the haters. Dead Space is awesome. Period.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
LabouredSubterfuge said:

You can turn down the difficulty in settings. If it's any consolation, I died 16 times in that last boss encounter, before I got pissed off, reloaded my last save (at the last bench/store), and
respeced one weapon (it was the Pulse Rifle, but the Contact Beam is superior for this fight, imo) to the max. In my previous 16 attempts at beating this boss, none of my weapons were maxed out (I had distributed nodes evenly across all of them). This made it very difficult to whittle down the boss. And the environment in that boss battle is such an unpleasant one (the worst one in the game, imo), that whittling the boss down becomes extremely tedious. Best practice to end that battle in a manageable time frame (three openings of the marker is a maxed out contact beam.

Don't feel bad that you can't beat it. I really don't think they planned on people who didn't have
a weapon or weapons maxed out
attempting it. Have to agree that it's not the high point of the game.

Gribbix

Monkey Pants said:
Hi Everyone,

Ruth1932-1.jpg

~ Ian
Is this it? The guy in the painting on the right:
deadspace22011-01-3020uzh8.png

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Monkey Pants said:
No. Don't get too caught up in the image I posted there, that's for illustration purposes only.

Just to clarify: you're looking for the image of Babe Ruth jumping, right? The figure in the circle?

EDIT: ok, obviously you're not. Must be a home run reference.

Grisby

Monkey Pants said:
No. Don't get too caught up in the image I posted there, that's for illustration purposes only.

Wasn't the peng statue kind of similar? I thought it had that pose. or something like it. Of course, I am completely nuts.

Edit- A reference, eek. Nevermind.

Replicant

I was just thinking, with all of those....."civilians" running away from the Sprawl, I was wondering if a Dead Space game like "SIREN: New Translation" will work. What I mean is that a Dead Space game that stars several different characters (7-8 people). Each have their own story and some may or may not survive the ordeal (other characters may even see one of your characters turned into Necro). I thought it'd be interesting. Maybe some kind of prequel to Dead Space 2 before Isaac was awakened by Franco and starts pwning the Necromorphs.

Before you protest "But then there'd be too many people on the game and it won't be scary", the Sprawl is supposedly a pretty large area. If these people are scattered all over the place and only encounter one or two other people in their journey to escape the Sprawl, I think it'd be okay.

Monkey Pants said:
Dead Space 1 is better than most '90 Metacritic' games any ways ;).

Gribbix

Replicant said:
I was just thinking, with all of those....."civilians" running away from the Sprawl, I was wondering if a Dead Space game like "SIREN: New Translation" will work. What I mean is that a Dead Space game that stars several different characters (7-8 people). Each have their own story and some may or may not survive the ordeal (other characters may even see one of your characters turned into Necro). I thought it'd be interesting. Maybe some kind of prequel to Dead Space 2 before Isaac was awakened by Franco and starts pwning the Necromorphs.

Before you protest "But then there'd be too many people on the game and it won't be scary", the Sprawl is supposedly a pretty large area. If these people are scattered all over the place and only encounter one or two other people in their journey to escape the Sprawl, I think it'd be okay.
Extraction was sort of like that. It jumps between different characters and groups. Some of the different characters meet up and split up throughout the course of the game. Although I imagine you want this in the form of a traditional Dead Space game and not a railshooter.

Replicant

Gribbix said:
Extraction was sort of like that. It jumps between different characters and groups. Some of the different characters meet up and split up throughout the course of the game. Although I imagine you want this in the form of a traditional Dead Space game and not a railshooter.

I haven't played Extraction beyond the first chapter. But Yes! I want it in traditional Dead Space game and not railshooter. I hope the guys at Visceral entertain that idea next time.

Monkey Pants

luxarific said:
Just to clarify: you're looking for the image of Babe Ruth jumping, right? The figure in the circle?

EDIT: ok, obviously you're not. Must be a home run reference.

Nope. It's a reference to trying to get, and expecting to get, a 90 Metacritic rating

Replicant said:

I'm thinking Severed may be somewhat down those lines... or at least I hope, I think Severed takes place before Isaac is woken up, so maybe there will be more people and panic?

As for the Babe Ruth reference... I don't think I'll ever find it, hahaha

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Replicant said:
I haven't played Extraction beyond the first chapter. But Yes! I want it in traditional Dead Space game and not railshooter. I hope you guys entertain that idea next time.

Rails killed Extraction for me. :( Hated the fact that I couldn't explore the environments on my own pace. If it hadn't had been on rails, I would have enjoyed it.

Mudkips

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
1. I have no money because I bought the advanced suit and the final sections prevent you from picking things up because you're running.

2. The final section was drain on my resources even though I had very little going in to it anyway.

3. This means that I have no stasis packs, nor the means to afford more on my previous save point, rendering your strategy useless to me.

4. On having tried the last boss a number of times, the amount of useful stuff they drop is random. I can make it through two rounds then I inevitably get swarmed and I have no ammo by that point.

I'll try stasis and melee but I'll be impressed and slightly bemused if it actually works.

1: Sell shit you don't need. You only need 1 weapon for the fight (and the run up leading to it). What weapons do you have and how are they upgraded?

2: Run, don't gun. The black dog things with 3 tentacles are the biggest problem damage wise, and the biggest ammo-eaters (at least for the plasma cutter).

3: You don't need stasis packs - just patience. With full stasis duration, you can stasis Nicole, run up, melee, wait for the recover animation, and melee again. If I remember correctly, you can hit her again once she raises her arm up. I don't know what difficulty you're playing at, but this took about a dozen "stasis, melee, melee" rounds while on the level 3 difficulty setting (zealot? the one before hardcore). You don't need stasis packs at all, just patience. Obviously stasis upgrades (duration, capacity, recharge) help, as does the suit that decreases recharge time. And remember to let the stasis recharge after every time you do a run on her - otherwise when she dies and you get mobbed, you'll be stuck at 0 stasis charges left waiting for a recharge.

4: Yeah, the stuff they drop is random. And you have to smash shit to get the items out. Stasis, melee, melee on a group of them should give you plenty of items though. Again, if you're carrying a bunch of different items you're more likely to get a bunch of different ammo types, making reloading and weapon switching an issue. I don't know if holding many weapons also decreases your chance of getting health packs, but it might.

Replicant

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I'm thinking Severed may be somewhat down those lines... or at least I hope, I think Severed takes place before Isaac is woken up, so maybe there will be more people and panic?

Is "Severed" taking place in Sprawl prior to Isaac's awakening? I didn't know until now.

luxarific said:
Rails killed Extraction for me. :( Hated the fact that I couldn't explore the environments on my own pace. If it hadn't had been on rails, I would have enjoyed it.

From what I've played in the 1st chapter, my biggest annoyance was missing out on shooting the boxes because the character I controlled walk too fast. Or I managed to shoot the boxes but I couldn't grab the item on time before the character walked past it.

Mudkips said:
1: Sell shit you don't need. You only need 1 weapon for the fight (and the run up leading to it). What weapons do you have and how are they upgraded?

2: Run, don't gun. The black dog things with 3 tentacles are the biggest problem damage wise, and the biggest ammo-eaters (at least for the plasma cutter).

3: You don't need stasis packs - just patience. With full stasis duration, you can stasis Nicole, run up, melee, wait for the recover animation, and melee again. If I remember correctly, you can hit her again once she raises her arm up. I don't know what difficulty you're playing at, but this took about a dozen "stasis, melee, melee" rounds while on the level 3 difficulty setting (zealot? the one before hardcore). You don't need stasis packs at all, just patience. Obviously stasis upgrades (duration, capacity, recharge) help, as does the suit that decreases recharge time. And remember to let the stasis recharge after every time you do a run on her - otherwise when she dies and you get mobbed, you'll be stuck at 0 stasis charges left waiting for a recharge.

4: Yeah, the stuff they drop is random. And you have to smash shit to get the items out. Stasis, melee, melee on a group of them should give you plenty of items though. Again, if you're carrying a bunch of different items you're more likely to get a bunch of different ammo types, making reloading and weapon switching an issue. I don't know if holding many weapons also decreases your chance of getting health packs, but it might.

I appreciate your attempts to help. I ended up doing it on casual. I'll do it properly on NG+ now that I know what not to do.

LiK

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I appreciate your attempts to help. I ended up doing it on casual. I'll do it properly on NG+ now that I know what not to do.

yea, dont bang your head on the wall. NG+ ftw.

Scarecrow

So far, I just got to ch.6 on my hardcore runthrough. Is it true that the disc change gives you a bonus checkpoint? I want to use my saves
before the ishimura decontamination chamber, before the drill ride, and sometime before the triple floor government sector marathon
. I feel like I'm pressing my luck with going so far and not saving.

LiK

Scarecrow said:
So far, I just got to ch.6 on my hardcore runthrough. Is it true that the disc change gives you a bonus checkpoint? I want to use my saves
before the ishimura decontamination chamber, before the drill ride, and sometime before the triple floor government sector marathon
. I feel like I'm pressing my luck with going so far and not saving.

i read about it and yes, it's true.

Monkey Pants

Lostconfused said:
Great I have to interrupt my dragon age play through for this treasure hunt. Oh well I guess I needed a good reason to play more dead space.

If no one gets it tonight I'll start posting clues.

LiK

Lostconfused said:
Heh that's great, I just hope its not something to do with that unitology script because honestly I am still not used to reading it.

as long as it's not any of the text logs, i'm down for the hunt.

LiK said:
as long as it's not any of the text logs, i'm down for the hunt.
Me too. Because I am in the Shawn Elliot camp of "this game makes you feel awful the whole time you are playing it" so I need a good reason to keep going.

Top Bottom