• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

jergrah

luxarific said:
There really needs to be a Dead Space art book a la Raising the Bar. I know there's some art in the Prima guide, but that's not equivalent to a dedicated Making-of-Dead-Space/Art Book. Something along the lines of that awesome Uncharted 2 artbook would be great. I could spend hours just looking at all the suits, lol....

They put out a nice one, though small, before the original launched. I bought it for $15 at PAX a few years back. Lots of great stuff in there. Its a hardcover/portfolio style book that may have also been available with some DS1 pre-orders?

BeeDog said:
If you're playing on Normal, I would recommend Plasma Cutter, Ripper and either Force Gun or the Pulse Rifle. To be honest, the game's pretty easy on this difficulty level, so you can experiment as much as you want. But as in DS1, the Plasma Cutter is your most trusted friend.

OK, I'll probably check out one of those guns then. But it feels like nothing beats the plasma cutter. :)

Zeliard

poserdonut said:
I'm in chapter 4 and I'm still just running around with the plasma cutter.

In DS I used the plasma cutter and the line gun. What are people recommending for DS2? Should I just go all out with the plasma cutter and get it fully upgraded or is it worth getting one or more of the other weapons?

Force Gun

Ripper

I went with Plasma Cutter/Line Gun/Ripper/Force Gun on Survivalist and ruined every alien's shit. Ripper in particular is invaluable till (and if) you get to the point where you have lots of ammo, because one of its blades can do quite a bit of damage even when not upgraded.

For my money, the Force Gun is the best and most versatile weapon in both games. You're talking about two games where nearly every enemy is the type that comes up to you to claw your face off. The Force Gun is the weapon that blows them all back, and when upgraded, blows them back and dismembers them. That's a weapon you want in your arsenal. And the alt fire in Dead Space 2 is even nuttier. Lastly, it continues to be the premier weapon against the Regenerator asshole.

Also, do the right thing. Don't play on Normal.

SamuraiX-

Zeliard said:
Force Gun

Ripper

I went with Plasma Cutter/Line Gun/Ripper/Force Gun on Survivalist and ruined every alien's shit. Ripper in particular is invaluable till (and if) you get to the point where you have lots of ammo, because one of its blades can do quite a bit of damage even when not upgraded.

For my money, the Force Gun is the best and most versatile weapon in both games. You're talking about two games where nearly every enemy is the type that comes up to you to claw your face off. The Force Gun is the weapon that blows them all back, and when upgraded, blows them back and dismembers them. That's a weapon you want in your arsenal. And the alt fire in Dead Space 2 is even nuttier. Lastly, it continues to be the premier weapon against the Regenerator asshole.

Also, do the right thing. Don't play on Normal.

Awesome post.

Couldn't agree with you more about the Force Gun. I'm still running through Dead Space 1, trying to platinum it, and can't wait to get into Dead Space 2.

So how are the final chapters of Dead Space 2 in comparison to the first game in terms of trial/error, annoying scenarios, and overall difficulty? I played through the first game on Hard my first play through and didn't find anything too unfair. I never really had to purchase ammo from the store and utilized whatever I could scavenge. Saved up plenty of extra med supplies in the end too.

Replicant

Zeliard said:

Yup. That is one gun that definitely says "Stay away from me, you creep! You're coming on too strong!". Especially handy with those Necro with yellow bomb since it just blast them away from you without a danger of exploding their bombs. Although for the Regenerator, I like to use Contact Beam's alt-fire. Nothing says "Restraining order" than a weapon that freezes your stalker and breaks off his legs so he'd stop harassing you for a moment.

Replicant said:
Yup. That is one gun that definitely says "Stay away from me, you creep! You're coming on too strong!". Especially handy with those Necro with yellow bomb since it just blast them away from you without a danger of exploding their bombs. Although for the Regenerator, I like to use Contact Beam's alt-fire. Nothing says "Restraining order" than a weapon that freezes your stalker and breaks off his legs so he'd stop harassing you for a moment.

Fucking amazing post.

Replicant

BeeDog said:
Does the Contact Beam alt-fire share its stats (the duration) with the regular stasis? Haven't seen anyone discuss it.

I'm not sure. I guess it'd require someone to time the regular stasis and time the Contact Beam's stasis. I do remember the alt's stasis being quite long. But I'm not sure if it's longer than the normal stasis or just the same.

UFRA

BeeDog said:
Does the Contact Beam alt-fire share its stats (the duration) with the regular stasis? Haven't seen anyone discuss it.

I would doubt it. But I don't know for sure.

Slightly related, IMO the Contact Beam is my favorite heavy hitter gun instead of the Force Gun. Even with minor upgrades, one shot right to the chest will completely kill most enemies (including those black ones which are a bit tougher).

The only flaw is the reload and charge-up speed. I can't wait to get the gun fully upgraded so that it's quick and super deadly. :D

My first playthrough gun choices were - Plasma Cutter/Pulse Rifle/Line Gun/Contact Beam.

I am finding that the closer I get to fully upgrading the Line Gun's alt fire, the more convinced I am that it might be the most powerful damage dealer in the game.

Zeliard

SamuraiX- said:
So how are the final chapters of Dead Space 2 in comparison to the first game in terms of trial/error, annoying scenarios, and overall difficulty? I played through the first game on Hard my first play through and didn't find anything too unfair. I never really had to purchase ammo from the store and utilized whatever I could scavenge. Saved up plenty of extra med supplies in the end too.

A lot of people have complained about the last couple or so chapters because the game starts bombarding you with enemies. But that's also where I found the Force Gun, once again, to be a very useful tool. It gives you a few seconds with which to assess the situation and make an effective next move.

Replicant said:

I actually didn't even try the Contact Beam this time around, even for the boss. In the first Dead Space, I did use it against the boss (which made it very easy), but not this time.

And as a caveat to my Force Gun praises, Contact Beam is obviously the most powerful weapon in the games, by far, but I don't think it's the best simply because it isn't terribly efficient. It exchanges power for flexibility and speedy ease-of-use in combat. Since it's mainly useful for bosses or mini-boss types, I didn't want to use a weapon slot on it.

But that's what future playthroughs are for! On my next go-around I want to specifically try not using the Plasma Cutter the entire way.

WEGGLES

jaekwon15 said:
Oops. Sorry. I misread what you wrote. I understand now.

I still don't understand all these complaints about the final boss (I thought it was great,) yet no one complains about how the ending its self is extremely weak. Waiting for the credits to end was not worth it.
I skipped the credits.. what was after?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The fast-running guys room in Chapter 4 was bullshit. :|

jax (old)

Banned
finished on survivalist. Enjoyed it way more than Deadspace 1. Mechanically more or less the same but the movement speeds and less wobbly cam but it more playable to me. DeadSpace1 used to make me feel so ill.

I think the best thing about deadspace2 is the loading. Even on the PC, loading for DS1 was abysmally slow so the sequel made dying less infuriating. Finished on PS3. Enjoyable all the way through with tense bits here and there. And humour.

Buy this.

Dyno

Okay so where is the Elite Advanced Suit? I've gone through twice and am starting a Zealot run? Did I miss it on the Survivalist run?

You should definitely play the game at least twice before attempting Hardcore.

It's essential that you familiarize yourself with all the scripted events, node locations, and enemy placements. That is, if you want to have a less stressful experience. :p

BeeDog

TenshiOni said:
You should definitely play the game at least twice before attempting Hardcore.

It's essential that you familiarize yourself with all the scripted events, node locations, and enemy placements. That is, if you want to have a less stressful experience. :p

Definitely. My Hardcore run is my 4th run and I know the entire game by heart now, yet I still find this mode tense. :p

Pancho

Qurupancho
Heh, funny how the Puker death scene is one of the least gory death scenes in the game, yet it's the one that disturbs me the most.

Rez said:
The fast-running guys room in Chapter 4 was bullshit. :|

Not that I'm the BEST GAMER EVAR but I don't get how some people have trouble with Stalkers. Just stand in a corner and wait for them to charge at you. They attack one at a time, just stasis and shoot, rinse repeat. And it's easy to know you're getting into a Stalker nest because of the cries. Just move until you trigger them and back to a corner. Also, I don't get the praise they get for being "smart AI" they are really dumb and predictable, more than an annoyance than anything else.

Pukers can go fuck themselves though :p

Although they became relatively less of a pain in the ass after I found out that if you shoot back at them their long range puke ball they usually die in one shot.

LiK

Replicant said:
Oh God, I must be a masochist. I'm about to try Hardcore. But why? I wasn't even that good on Normal. I'd die so many times. :(
You must want that ubergun really bad!

chautemoc

Neo Member
Dyno said:
Okay so where is the Elite Advanced Suit? I've gone through twice and am starting a Zealot run? Did I miss it on the Survivalist run?

If you're playing on PC, a bug prevents you from getting it. There's a savegame on Steam forums you can download to get all that and a bunch of content withheld from the PC version, or you can wait for Visceral to release the promised patch.

Replicant

Died on the first boss on Hardcore. How embarrassing. Still, I learned to not rely so much on weapon and simply use the environment to attack the Necros. Before this, I never bothered to use the limbs of a Necro to attack other Necros and I'm surprised at how effective they can be. Limbs attack can actually be one-hit-kill so far. My mistake was letting that tripod boss jumping on me so many times. I underestimated him.

I also realized attempting Hardcore means dedicating at least a few hours since you can't save for a few chapters. In that case, I can't do this until next weekend. It sucks but I only have 1-2 hours playing time on weekdays due to work/gym schedule. As far as familiarity with the levels goes, however, so far I actually remember in great details of what enemies will come out in what area.

LiK said:
You must want that ubergun really bad!

I think I want the trophy more. But maybe I should take up everyone's advice and just play it again on NG+ Zealot (is there a point in playing in Survivalist? There's no trophy there, is there?) first before attempting Hardcore again.

Replicant said:
I think I want the trophy more. But maybe I should take up everyone's advice and just play it again on NG+ Zealot (is there a point in playing in Survivalist? There's no trophy there, is there?) first before attempting Hardcore again.
No trophy for Survivalist, no. But a fresh Survivalist game is closer to the Hardcore experience damage-wise (that Isaac deals and takes) than Zealot.

If you're aiming for the Platinum, though...then yeah, you should do a NG+ Zealot run first.

Pancho

Qurupancho
TenshiOni said:
No trophy for Survivalist, no. But a fresh Survivalist game is closer to the Hardcore experience damage-wise (that Isaac deals and takes) than Zealot.

If you're aiming for the Platinum, though...then yeah, you should do a NG+ Zealot run first.

Read somewhere that Hardcore has the overall difficulty of Survivalist and the drop rate of Zealot.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Replicant said:
Died on the first boss on Hardcore. How embarrassing. Still, I learned to not rely so much on weapon and simply use the environment to attack the Necros. Before this, I never bothered to use the limbs of a Necro to attack other Necros and I'm surprised at how effective they can be. Limbs attack can actually be one-hit-kill so far. My mistake was letting that tripod boss jumping on me so many times. I underestimated him.

I also realized attempting Hardcore means dedicating at least a few hours since you can't save for a few chapters. In that case, I can't do this until next weekend. It sucks but I only have 1-2 hours playing time on weekdays due to work/gym schedule. As far as familiarity with the levels goes, however, so far I actually remember in great details of what enemies will come out in what area.

Actually, I'd play on Hardcore first, before trying Zealot. I did my Zealot run before Hardcore, and Zealot would have been much more entertaining with the hand gun you get for Hardcore.

Also, I died a stupid amount of times, all for stupid reasons in the first few chapters of Hardcore - the latter half of the game is strangely much easier for me for some reason. I think it's because you're relatively underpowered for the first five chapters are so and there are a lot of sudden death opportunities in the first half of the game.

Just finished this game over the weekend and overall I had a really good time - definitely a great game. That being said, i found the last couple of chapters to be the weakest of the entire game - the final "boss" battle was pretty bad.

Replicant

So from what you guys said, am I right to assume that the difficulty level in Hardcore is more similar to Survivalist? That means Zealot is actually a lot more difficult (except that you can save as many as you want and can use NG+)?

Pancho said:
Read somewhere that Hardcore has the overall difficulty of Survivalist and the drop rate of Zealot.
Yeah, I've read that too. I'd be cool if Codecow and/or Monkeypants can confirm definitively once and for all (if they haven't already!).

Thinking back, though, I'm pretty sure you always got 3 Plasma Cutter shots per drop in Survivalist and Zealot. I think you might get three less shots of Assault Rifle rounds in Zealot when compared to Survivalist (16 --> 13, maybe? Don't remember). And as far as I remember, Force Gun, Flamethrower, Line Gun drops, and Charge Beam ammo drops were more or less the same. Maybe you get only 1 line gun ammo shot per drop in Zealot and 2 in Survivalist.

Either way, it doesn't really matter in my experience. Even in Zealot, it's not like you run into tons of enemies that drop nothing. You almost always get something. I think only two or three Necros jipped me in my entire Zealot run if memory serves correctly. And if it is Credits you're getting more so than ammo, you can just use them to buy more ammo if you're in a pinch. Force Gun ammo is really cheap!
Replicant said:
So from what you guys said, am I right to assume that the difficulty level in Hardcore is more similar to Survivalist? That means Zealot is actually a lot more difficult (except that you can save as many as you want and can use NG+)?
Hardcore is undoubtedly Survivalist difficulty in terms of damage Isaac and the Necromorphs take.

Zealot on your first playthrough is a much, much harder experience in that respect.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Replicant said:

Zealot is really not hard with NG+, even before you get the Hardcore handgun (this is from a person who found Survivalist difficult). I actually had more "fun" fun with it than I did on my first run since I was basically a god at that point with all the unlocks you get from your first run.

UFRA said:
I could have sworn that in Chapter 13
when you are in the main room where the drill machine crashed and all the monsters are coming out of the wall
that there was infinite respawn.

Either that, or I managed to escape in a break in the action and didn't actually finish the "wave". I stood there for maybe a good 5 minutes going "when will this end?" lol.

I killed all those guys. There wasn't really that many. That is one of the cases where they'll spawn in 2 more enemies if you stay in there too long though (in this case, I got 2 more Lurkers), but there is a very clear break in the action after you kill off the wave. I guess that technically makes it an infinite spawn, but it's not a constant stream of fodder like a CoD game. This is on Normal, btw. I don't know about harder difficulties.

Replicant

Oh well, it's not like I have a choice. I don't have 5+ hours required to play Hardcore until I can save around Chapter 5 or 7. Well, not until the weekend. So I guess, NG+ Zealot first then. May as well upgrade all of my weapons first as well while doing this run. Thx for the info guys.

LiK

I sent a question about the Zealot and Hardcore difficulty to Monkey Pants on twitter. With my luck, he'll probably ignore it.

Jinaar

Passed ZEALOT yesterday. Thinking about doing Hardcore but damn, never die and only save 3 times..... ugg. Sounds like trying to pass CoD on Veteran just to get all achievements. Not fun.

I can see the appeal though of it. So I cannot take that away from people that have enjoyed Hardcore mode already :)

BeeDog

Platinum trophy GET! Holy shit the end-game was a bitch to get through; found it even harder than Zealot, but I suspect it's because 1) for the first time ever in a DS game I switched out my Plasma Cutter and only went with the Force Gun (and the Contact Beam for the end), and 2) my nerves were a wreck because of the insta-death moments. Thankfully, I had tons of cash and around 200 rounds for my fully upgraded Force Gun (+ 20 rounds for the Contact Beam, mwahahaha). Amazing game overall!

Jinaar said:
Passed ZEALOT yesterday. Thinking about doing Hardcore but damn, never die and only save 3 times..... ugg. Sounds like trying to pass CoD on Veteran just to get all achievements. Not fun.
Oh, you can die in Hardcore. You just don't get any checkpoints. You revert back to the last save.

BeeDog

JohngPR said:
Holy crap, you also don't get any checkpoints? I'm not sure I'm man enough to play this on Hardcore mode. 0_o

Yeah. This is Hardcore in a nutshell:

- Only 3 saves through the entire game. My suggestion is, use the first one near the end of chapter 5 (right before THAT sequence), chapter 10/11 (if possible, I used mine in chapter 8) and then at the beginning of chapter 13 (or at the end of chapter 13 if you dare pushing on).
- No checkpoints (except for one checkpoint after the disc switch on the 360, apparently).
- Some say the difficulty level is comparable to Survivalist, but it was more akin to Zealot. At least, the ammo drop count was the same between Zealot and Hard Core. The enemies might not hit as hard as in Zealot though, so maybe it is Survivalist with the same ammo drop count as on Zealot.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Jinaar said:

I can see the appeal though of it. So I cannot take that away from people that have enjoyed Hardcore mode already :)

You get a gun for beating hardcore. And it is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBS86rAT4W0.

I'd never have suffered through this mode just for epeen. Foam hand gun that kills everything in one shot, though? With the VA making "bang bang" and "pew pew" noises?

Come to mama.

JohngPR

BeeDog said:
Yeah. This is Hardcore in a nutshell:

- Only 3 saves through the entire game. My suggestion is, use the first one near the end of chapter 5 (right before THAT sequence), chapter 10/11 (if possible, I used mine in chapter 8) and then at the beginning of chapter 13 (or at the end of chapter 13 if you dare pushing on).
- No checkpoints (except for one checkpoint after the disc switch on the 360, apparently).
- Some say the difficulty level is comparable to Survivalist, but it was more akin to Zealot. At least, the ammo drop count was the same between Zealot and Hard Core. The enemies might not hit as hard as in Zealot though, so maybe it is Survivalist with the same ammo drop count as on Zealot.

Thanks for the info....I might give it a shot one day and just see if it's doable for me. Problem is that I don't have time to play that long at a time so I doubt I'll ever be able to get to chapter five before saving.

Luxarific is spoilerific.

:p

They should have given you that gun before hand though. This way almost forces you into playing through Hardcore first, but then again...it wouldn't be very hardcore if you can kill everything with one hit.

Just cleared Chapter 9 I think, whichever is the one where you
board the Ishimura. Been playing with my wife and of course she wants to take a break at the save spot right before you get on the ship.....what a tease!!
LOL

luxarific

Nork unification denier
JohngPR said:
Thanks for the info....I might give it a shot one day and just see if it's doable for me. Problem is that I don't have time to play that long at a time so I doubt I'll ever be able to get to chapter five before saving.

Luxarific is spoilerific.

:p

They should have given you that gun before hand though. This way almost forces you into playing through Hardcore first, but then again...it wouldn't be very hardcore if you can kill everything with one hit.

Just cleared Chapter 9 I think, whichever is the one where you
board the Ishimura. Been playing with my wife and of course she wants to take a break at the save spot right before you get on the ship.....what a tease!!
LOL

Codecow posted it unspoilered earlier in the thread, so I'm not going to do it either.

Top Bottom