• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Arjen

ajim said:
Really? Stalkers? I though they were ridiculous, even on Zealot. Just sit in a corner, wait, and shoot. Boom. Bitches are dead.

[/spoiler]

Yeah, i'm not a type that can sit and wait in a corner.
I'll try, see a box, pull it to me, stomp it, and then the fuckers jump me.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Enjoying the single player so far...but this monster closet shit is so Doom 3. Especially when they just pop out from behind you. Arggh...LOL

UFRA

Dividers creeped me out the most in Dead Space 1 as well. Something about a tall and skinny enemy that really scares me.

And yeah, that noise they make is freaky.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like the DS team didn't recognise the greatest strength of their combat system. It is so fucking good, against one or two, maybe three, enemies at a time. Swarming a room with enemies is just annoying.

I reckon scaling the game's balance back to a place where an encounter with one enemy is a real challenge would have really let their work shine. As it is, throwing a handful disposable enemies at you every room or two is just... wasteful. It forces single-minded strategies onto me.

From my perspective, an enemy in this game should have been 'an event'. If you know a necromorph is in the room you should be freaked the fuck out because that one guy could kill you in seconds. It's tense, it forces you to use your ammo wisely, but it totally kills the annoying "oh. you spawned an enemy behind me while I dealt with the three three effing baby variants. HIGH FIVE!" It also gives you the space to really play with kinesis and stasis in interesting ways, whereas now enemies just charge and you and you're forced to use the same crowd-control method in virtually every room against different AI patterns because it works on ALL of them.

This has been one of the weirdest gaming experiences I've had in ages. Constantly giving with one hand and taking with the other. This is one of the best controlling games on the market, and the enemy AI versus your set of offensive/defensive tactics is generally fantastic, but they're framed in a balance that doesn't let any of it shine. What a waste of so much good work.

UFRA

Rez said:
I feel like the DS team didn't recognise the greatest strength of their combat system. It is so fucking good, against one or two, maybe three, enemies at a time. Swarming a room with enemies is just annoying.

I reckon scaling the game's balance back to a place where an encounter with one enemy is a real challenge would have really let their work shine. As it is, throwing a handful disposable enemies at you every room or two is just... wasteful. It forces single-minded strategies onto me.

From my perspective, an enemy in this game should have been 'an event'. If you know a necromorph is in the room you should be freaked the fuck out because that one guy could kill you in seconds. It's tense, it forces you to use your ammo wisely, but it totally kills the annoying "oh. you spawned an enemy behind me while I dealt with the three three effing baby variants. HIGH FIVE!" It also gives you the space to really play with kinesis and stasis in interesting ways, whereas now enemies just charge and you and you're forced to use the same crowd-control method in virtually every room against different AI patterns because it works on ALL of them.

This has been one of the weirdest gaming experiences I've had in ages. Constantly giving with one hand and taking with the other. This is one of the best controlling games on the market, and the enemy AI versus your set of offensive/defensive tactics is generally fantastic, but they're framed in a balance that doesn't let any of it shine. What a waste of so much good work.

You have some good points there.

I really enjoyed DS2 overall, and I think it's a great game, but it wasn't entirely a step up from DS1.

I found that in DS2 my primary tactic was: Enter new room, trigger enemy ambush, back up into corner, let them come to me, kill enemies, rinse and repeat. I just don't recall doing this quite as often in DS1.

Other than that my only other complaint would be that the game went for more of a dude-bro approach than DS1, rather than a more solid story. There were plenty of "crazy" action scenes, but there weren't as many moments that stood out to leave a really awesome memory. One thing that bothered me especially was that they designed parts of the city around the Stalkers, rather than having the Stalkers 'adapt' to the city design. Every time you enter a room where there are
a bunch of equally spaced square objects throughout the room
you immediately know you're facing stalkers.

There's things in DS1 that I'll always remember...

The suspense building as a voice over the loudspeaker says "10 kiloton mass detected in food storage" and my goal was to go through food storage.

Walking down a long hallway and suddenly seeing a Divider at the other end just standing there as it suddenly makes that horrible noise and begins quickly moving towards me.

The panic I felt when I had to board the USM Valor and I found out the enemies had a reverse-stasis effect that caused them to move super fast....great.

The feeling of being completely alone and hopeless, and desperate to get off the ship. In DS2 there were too many times where Isaac
would intentionally part from the company of others to go repair things on his own, it was too many "hero" moments for it to feel right given the circumstances.

Arjen said:
Man, those rooms full of stalkers really get on my nerves.
Truly scary stuff those parts.

Hmm, yeah those didn't bother me. The build-up to the first encounter with them was well done, very tense. But once I saw them I thought: 'Those baby raptor things without arms look ridiculous'.

Finished the game on Survivalist in around 10 hours give or take.

Sur mode was pretty fun up until chapter 9ish where is became more "cheap" than a fun challenge. Some enemies would kill me in the middle of my saving game animation at a save point. Fucking annoying at times. I loved the lack of ammo and came up with different game plans for each battle.

Fuck the regenerating guy.

My advice for the last chapter...RUN. Don't waste ammo.

All and all it was an awesome game. Its pretty much the same exact game as DS1 but in a different setting and some new weapons, which is perfect and what it should be. The presentation is top notch and the game is wicked amounts of fun.

My only gripes with the game

- The atmosphere did not seem as "Satanic" as the 1. The first game felt more "evil" and possessed.

- More enemy variety would be nice.

- Why are there no bosses? I thought that this was a horror game. Run with it. It gets boring fighting the same enemies for 10 hours, more unique battles would be very welcome. Rip some of the fights from classic horror movies. Come on now.

IronRinn

A random question perhaps, but I have to ask: When you first meet Ellie is she not spewing the same profane gibberish that Bill Paxton lets loose during his death scene in Aliens?

Apologies to anyone if I've spoiled Aliens.

IronRinn said:
A random question perhaps, but I have to ask: When you first meet Ellie is she not spewing the same profane gibberish that Bill Paxton lets loose during his death scene in Aliens?

Apologies to anyone if I've spoiled Aliens.

I think you would have spoiled life for them..

Sidzed2

I've just started replaying Dead Space 1, and by golly it feels remarkably different from its sequel. Initially, I had thought that Dead Space 2 was pretty much a better-looking facsimile of its predecessor, but I've come to realise that Visceral has really fine-tuned the controls, animation and movement. The game also runs smoother and has a superior inventory management system.

Also, I'm actually thinking... wait for it... that Dead Space 2 might be more scary and tense (I used to feel the opposite). I don't know what it is... maybe enemies are just more vicious and lethal in Dead Space 2.

Aaaanyhoo, the other thing which struck me is that the original is still a remarkably finelooking game for its age.

Zozobra

How are the kb/mouse controls for this game? I was thinking about picking up a 360 pad anyways, just wondering if I should do so before I start this.

UFRA said:
The feeling of being completely alone and hopeless, and desperate to get off the ship. In DS2 there were too many times where Isaac
would intentionally part from the company of others to go repair things on his own, it was too many "hero" moments for it to feel right given the circumstances.

In my mind, I thought it was a good way of developing his character from the first one - Isaac's dealt with this shit before, he's maybe starting to feel confident that he can handle it, and the last thing he wants is for someone else to die when he feels he could have done something.

Host Samurai said:
The first game felt more "evil" and possessed.

I hadn't thought about that but yeah... well put.

Sidzed2

henhowc said:
Up through chapter 6 in about 4 hours. How many chapters are there in this game? Just playing on normal for now.

15 chapters all up, though the last is quite short. The game is about to get a bit more difficult for you. Around chapter 10 it becomes a bit of a prick.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Sidzed2 said:
15 chapters all up, though the last is quite short. The game is about to get a bit more difficult for you. Around chapter 10 it becomes a bit of a prick.

Lovely. What do you guys recommend that I use my power nodes on? So far I've only been upgrading my plasma cutter and my suit HP.

Replicant

Mister_Bubbles said:
In my mind, I thought it was a good way of developing his character from the first one - Isaac's dealt with this shit before, he's maybe starting to feel confident that he can handle it, and the last thing he wants is for someone else to die when he feels he could have done something.

Pretty much. It's a character progression for Isaac since he's not strange to this thing anymore. In essence, Isaac in DS2 is Ripley in Aliens since he's already used to those monsters while everyone else is flailing and panicking.

And oh, so far NG+ Zealot is a breeze that I actually went "La la la la la" while playing. Only up to chapter 2 though. So maybe it gets harder in later chapter.

Teknoman said:
Better get in on multiplayer before it dies down.

Any of the free infected suits any good? What do they look like anyway?

Sidzed2

Replicant said:
And oh, so far NG+ Zealot is a breeze that I actually went "La la la la la" while playing. Only up to chapter 2 though. So maybe it gets harder in later chapter.

Wait until about Chapters 10 or 11. Being cavalier will get you killed lickety split. The only way I could get through 13, 14 and 15 was by abusing the alt-fire of the contact beam.

Zozobra said:
How are the kb/mouse controls for this game? I was thinking about picking up a 360 pad anyways, just wondering if I should do so before I start this.

I personally find them to be absolutely damn fine (mouse works perfectly now), with my only niggle being the inventory/shops screens needing keyboard control to navigate them and not the mouse.

Teknoman

Replicant said:
Pretty much. It's a character progression for Isaac since he's not strange to this thing anymore. In essence, Isaac in DS2 is Ripley in Aliens since he's already used to those monsters while everyone else is flailing and panicking.

Any of the free infected suits any good? What do they look like anyway?

No idea, but since I know the MP doesnt contain spoilers, I want to experience it before everyone moves on/ it becomes hard to find matches.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Teknoman said:
No idea, but since I know the MP doesnt contain spoilers, I want to experience it before everyone moves on/ it becomes hard to find matches.

We should set up a GAF group. The only time I fired up MP, my connection dropped so I never tried it again, but from what I've read there seem to be a lot of complaints that people are ignoring the objectives. :/

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm on Chapter 9 or 10 now and the game is great so far.

I was starting to have a lot of trouble with combat, though, in a way that never happened in DS1, so for a while I felt like I was playing it wrong.

I've since upgraded my stasis a bit (which seems to be much more central to the combat now) and spent a lot more money on power nodes; I was being too conservative because I was never sure when the next suit would become available.

I'm using the plasma cutter, line cutter, pulse rifle, and my fourth spot is either force gun or contact beam. What weapons should I be using and upgrading?

Salaadin

Is the Plasma Cutter the only thing you get if you have a Dead Space 1 save file?
I want to get DS2 before the Ser Issac code promo ends but Ill need to get the PC version since the PS3 version only unlocks the armor for PS3 DA2.

Sidzed2

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I'm using the plasma cutter, line cutter, pulse rifle, and my fourth spot is either force gun or contact beam. What weapons should I be using and upgrading?

In my opinion, you should be using and upgrading (in this order):

Plasma Cutter
Ripper
Force Gun
Contact Beam (focus on upgrading it to unlock its 'special' functionality).

You could swap out either riper / force gun for the line cutter if you really wanted to, because it is a great, powerful weapon for tearing through multiple enemies at once. It's just that it is rreeaaallly slow between shots and when reloading and doesn't carry much ammo (which is expensive).

Make sure you have plenty of contact beam ammo for the final few chapters, and in particular the final boss. That is all :)

Teknoman

luxarific said:
We should set up a GAF group. The only time I fired up MP, my connection dropped so I never tried it again, but from what I've read there seem to be a lot of complaints that people are ignoring the objectives. :/

I'm thinking about setting up a PSN chatroom (got the game on PS3) but i'm not sure how much use the NFS:HP room got, especially since I havent had the chance to really use it myself :p

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Teknoman said:
I'm thinking about setting up a PSN chatroom (got the game on PS3) but i'm not sure how much use the NFS:HP room got, especially since I havent had the chance to really use it myself :p

Don't think there's cross-platform mp in Dead Space 2, otherwise I'd join you.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Teknoman said:

Im up for some MP add me if you wanna
PSN: Danny-kun

The MP is fun with a good team, amazing what an organized necro team can do to a human team.

Replicant

Sidzed2 said:
In my opinion, you should be using and upgrading (in this order):

Plasma Cutter
Ripper
Force Gun
Contact Beam (focus on upgrading it to unlock its 'special' functionality).

I think those 3 are mandatory. The Ripper you can replace with either Line Gun or other guns you prefer. But Plasma is important in case you run out of ammo with everything else. Force Gun blows everything away from you and put some safe distance between you and your 'admirers'. Contact Beam is handy when the Necros don't understand that "No" means "No" and that inter-species raping is a big no no. Especially when they do it gang-bang style. Not on!

And oh, I also rarely ever be able to join MP. Strange, because it was fine when I was one of the Beta testers. But now it's really hard to join any game.

Shouta

I didn't bother with the contact gun at all myself and I only used the Force Gun towards the end of the game with the stupid ass regenerator. You can really clean out most enemies quickly with Stasis and regular weapons but I did play on the PC with KB/M making it easier to tag enemies with pinpoint accuracy.

Just finished the game on normal. Agree with some of the posts above about feeling parts of the game might have been better off with fewer, more focused battles and a stronger sense of being alone but overall loved the game.

Would like to see DS3 return to the more isolated, darker feel and have it play with your expectations more (like the
decontamination room and the quietness of the Ishimura
).

I mainly went with:
1. Refurbed Plasma Cutter, fully upgraded
2. Seeker Rifle, mostly upgraded
3. Pulse Rifle, no upgrades (mainly used this for small, fast enemies)
4. Line Gun, slight upgrades

Rig mostly upgraded, statis fully upgraded.

Granted, I didn't try the other weapons in my first play through but I'm surprised more people don't talk about the seeker rifle. That thing is a beast when upgraded, dealing nearly 100 points of damage per shot! It blows back most enemies in the game in 1 or 2 shots. It killed a brute in I think 5 or 6 shots total. I didn't even have to reload.

Oh and the
"What?"
at the end of the game was fantastic.

AAK

Quick question people, I just received my imported copy from Hong Kong and PSN will not accept the online pass that came with it. Are the online passes restricted by regions? Or did my seller screw me over?

Replicant

AAK said:
Quick question people, I just received my imported copy from Hong Kong and PSN will not accept the online pass that came with it. Are the online passes restricted by regions? Or did my seller screw me over?

If you bought it from HK then you should redeem your online pass at Hong Kong store not whatever store you're from. That means, you must redeem the pass while using an account/login that is associated with HK store. I bought US version and I redeemed my pass while logged into my US account (since that's my default PSN account anyway) even though I live in AUS. If you've redeemed it at HK store and it still doesn't work then yeah, your seller probably screwed you over but otherwise, try to create HK account.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh my god, Chapter 10 was such a fantastic experience.
It makes me wonder whether anything in DS2 will end up being as instantly memorable as the DS environments. Stepping onto the bridge, the medical deck, the engineering bay and the glorious docking bay and seeing them covered in the creepy white hazard screens and violet-light was the first genuinely extraordinary moment in the game for me.

So many great memories.

I was quite enjoying trudging through the game. Died a couple times, but nothing as lame as the asteroid shootin' from DS1. But then
the last few chapters it doesn't even seem like the designers cared about you having fun anymore, lets throw 4 necros in this room and then when you open the door there are 3 more out here and the next room there 4 more that spawn after you kill the original 3 that were in here. I was fed up but so close to the end I decided to make a run for the end. I mean the end would surely redeem the shitfest that was the last few chapters.

I made it to the marker and the cut scene shows Isaac kill the guy with the javelin gun. Then Nicole reveals she was just fucking with you and now you gotta die.

Nicole boss fight, I thought hm, could be interesting, oh wait I have literally two pulse rounds because I was encouraged to run instead of pick up items. Whatever, my stasis regenerates so there was an obvious point to me not having much ammo right? Wrong, even though you are encouraged to run past the last two chapters worth of enemies you are also expected to have a decent amount of ammo. Maybe they wanted me to kill her with my bare hands, kind of interesting. Wait now there are shadow necromorphs helping her and I have zero ammo as it is.

Fuck this game.

Swarms of enemies I can take, swarms of enemies with very little ammo I can tolerate, swarms of enemies with little ammo and a boss fight that requires you to have ammo is horseshit.

I have no prior saves, so I can either continue to try to beat the game with no ammo or start over.

It just feels like the makers of this game really fucked up.

Dave1988

Teknoman said:

Add me, too. Would be nice to form a group that don't shun the MP of DS2 ;p PSN: Dave1988

So what's the multiplayer consensus? I jumped in for a single round and it seems like it could have a lot of potential. I was impressed how well the game performed, feels just like the single player as far as controls and movement and there was not a hint of lag or performance issues in the 8 player room. Also found a fresh full lobby without waiting.

I tread lightly in this thread for fear of spoilers, but does anyone else feel like the weapons are extremely different than they were in Dead Space 1? My favorite weapons are now my least favorite and vice versa.

Hated flame thrower and pulse rifle, now I love them
Loved the Line gun, now I hate it
Hated the ripper, but it's OK now. Still not a weapon I equip, though.

Also rotating the plasma cutter doesn't seem all that necessary anymore, I don't even bother to do it because it severs limbs like a champ anyway. I'm playing on normal and maxed out the plasma cutter, so that's probably why

MorisUkunRasik said:
I was quite enjoying trudging through the game. Died a couple times, but nothing as lame as the asteroid shootin' from DS1. But then
the last few chapters it doesn't even seem like the designers cared about you having fun anymore, lets throw 4 necros in this room and then when you open the door there are 3 more out here and the next room there 4 more that spawn after you kill the original 3 that were in here. I was fed up but so close to the end I decided to make a run for the end. I mean the end would surely redeem the shitfest that was the last few chapters.

I made it to the marker and the cut scene shows Isaac kill the guy with the javelin gun. Then Nicole reveals she was just fucking with you and now you gotta die.

Nicole boss fight, I thought hm, could be interesting, oh wait I have literally two pulse rounds because I was encouraged to run instead of pick up items. Whatever, my stasis regenerates so there was an obvious point to me not having much ammo right? Wrong, even though you are encouraged to run past the last two chapters worth of enemies you are also expected to have a decent amount of ammo. Maybe they wanted me to kill her with my bare hands, kind of interesting. Wait now there are shadow necromorphs helping her and I have zero ammo as it is.

Fuck this game.

Swarms of enemies I can take, swarms of enemies with very little ammo I can tolerate, swarms of enemies with little ammo and a boss fight that requires you to have ammo is horseshit.

I have no prior saves, so I can either continue to try to beat the game with no ammo or start over.

It just feels like the makers of this game really fucked up.

You played the whole game on one save file? Why?

Top Bottom