• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Replicant said:
One thing that bothers me in Dead Space 2:

Throughout the whole game after you encounter Eileen, you can obviously see that she's low in health. WTF can't you give her a health pack, damn it? It's killing me to see her trudging along with her health bar in red, near death like that.

And oh, I didn't know you can die from that EarthGov attacked in level 6. I always breezed through it even on Zealot.

lol, Eileen.

She's so awesome that she doesn't need no freaking health pack.

Pancho

Qurupancho
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
lol, Eileen.

She's so awesome that she doesn't need no freaking health pack.

Indeed

"You owe me an eye you bastard!

So judging by that short glimpse at Severed
Since it says "Spouse" on the screen displaying Lexine, we can assume that Mcneill didn't survive and was the Necromorph in the end :(. Although it doesn't quite make sense to me since we can clearly see the Necro's shadow at the end had both arms and Mcneill chopped one off...I want to believe he's alive he was way too cool, the other guy was unlikeable

Replicant

I didn't know the guy who voiced Isaac looks a bit like him. Gunner Wright:

16apdu1.jpg

Pancho

Qurupancho
Replicant said:

16apdu1.jpg

Yeah, all characters bear a slight resemblance to their VAs. Reason why Nicole looks so different.

Pancho said:
Indeed

"You owe me an eye you bastard!

So judging by that short glimpse at Severed
Since it says "Spouse" on the screen displaying Lexine, we can assume that Mcneill didn't survive and was the Necromorph in the end :(. Although it doesn't quite make sense to me since we can clearly see the Necro's shadow at the end had both arms and Mcneill chopped one off...I want to believe he's alive he was way too cool, the other guy was unlikeable

I haven't finished Extraction yet, but
I'm surprised Lexine and Gabe got hitched, Gabe seemed more annoyed with Lex than anything, though I guess anything can happen. I did like Gabe though, only cause he was hilariously crusty, I guess? Though maybe they're just fake married so that Teidmann and Co. can't track them.

Replicant said:

16apdu1.jpg

Yeah, they did this in the first game too, where the characters looked close to their actors. I'm still loving the work that Wright did in this game. Couldn't think of a better choice to portray Isaac.

Carnby

What is the trophy above The Graduate (on the trophy list)? I have completed the game on Zealot and I still do not have this hidden trophy. I would really appreciate it if someone could answer this question.

Balphon

jaekwon15 said:
What is the trophy above The Graduate (on the trophy list)? I have completed the game on Zealot and I still do not have this hidden trophy. I would really appreciate it if someone could answer this question.

Killing the
Tormentor at the end of Chapter 5.
Shouldn't be missable.

Carnby

Balphon said:
Killing the
Tormentor at the end of Chapter 5.
Shouldn't be missable.

great... So my game is glitched. I have done that twice and I still don't have the trophy.

Replicant

jaekwon15 said:

Maybe it's the Elevator Action? Knock off every Tripod during the Elevator Sequence. This is the one that doesn't trigger automatically UNLESS you can kill all of them before the Elevator arrives at the very top.

Carnby

Replicant said:
Maybe it's the Elevator Action? Knock off every Tripod during the Elevator Sequence. This is the one that doesn't trigger automatically UNLESS you can kill all of them before the Elevator arrives at the very top.

I bet that's it. Thanks.

Replicant

I just saw Dead Space: Aftermath. This basically acts as a bridge between Dead Space and Dead Space 2. First thing first though, the animation and character design on this film is one hell of inconsistent train wreck. One minute the film is in basic 3d (with no texture or shading) and another minute it is in 2D animation form. The style of the 2D animation/character design is not even consistent from sequence to sequence. It's like different parts were commissioned to different animation studios with no quality and consistency control in mind. The amusing thing was when a character called Kuttner looks like an old white guy in the 2D animation (and has white daughter) but he turns into a black guy (with black daughter) in the 3D portion of the story.

Anyway, I won't summarize the story much but it happens directly after The Badass Mr.Clarke fire-bombed Aegis 7 and pissed off not only the Unitologist but also the EarthGov. As a result,
EarthGov sent a crew of planetary construction workers to 'repair' the formation although the truth is 4 crews were tasked to obtain the shards of the Marker after Isaac blew it up to smithereens. You can guess what happens when some of these people were taken back to the Sprawl.

The important thing about this entry into Dead Space story is that it confirms a few things about the Marker. Warning, if you haven't finished DS2, this contains spoiler for the game:

* The marker can and indeed able to control a weaker mind/emotionally unstable person to do its bidding (as exemplified by Kuttner). This effect is amplified when the person came into direct contact with the marker. The shard has the ability to manipulate its target by showing things he/she may want to see. This effect is lessened if the person has a fine mind and strong will and can reject what is being presented in front of him (ie. Isaac Clarke).

* The marker communicates via telephatic encoding. Some people who have strong mind can understand its message (Isaac, Nolan Stross), others are immune and unaffected by it (Lexine Murdoch, Ellie Langford). Most people, however, can suffer from hyper-psychotic episode from its telepathic encoding (Kuttner, Sam Caldwell, almost all of Ishimura crews).

* The marker's carrier wave/telepathic encoding can re-animate dead cell tissue on existing dead bodies. It also alters these dead bodies' DNA and cell tissues to a new and evolved form. So far this seems to be the explanation of how Necros appear in the first place.

* Stross believed that the shard was created by a higher-intelligence being. Something that primitives (humans) would call God.

* Stross was the one who inadvertently caused the original infection after Aegis 7 went kablooey. He did an experiment on a dead tissue of a deceased by exposing it to close proximity to a Marker shard.
The experiment was done on O'Bannon spaceship and when infection happened, there were 4 survivors left. EarthGov took them to their ship, Abraxis, interrogate them, and killed them all except Stross. The ship then docked in the Sprawl.
One can safely assume that he did a similar experiment with Isaac when they were forced to build a new marker on the Sprawl.

* The reason Isaac and Stross are wanted is because they came into direct contact with the marker and understand its messages. Isaac is particularly special because despite his burst of hallucinations, his mind still can't be controlled even after all of those times being exposed directly to different types of markers. This is *very* unusual because Stross, despite being able to understand the Marker's message like Isaac, turned crazy within the space of a few days. Isaac can differentiate between humans and Necros, which Stross is incapable of doing (Stross killed his own family thinking they are Necromorphs).
Isabel Cho from "Aftermath" would probably have been similar to Isaac because she has " a fine mind and strong will" as described by the doctors but she didn't directly came into contact with it and EarthGov needed a scapegoat.

* If you think there is no big bad within the humans, this story will make you reconsider. EarthGov has a lot of scary psychos like
"The Overseer"

Wiggum2007

Oh god why did I complete the last few chapters last night drunk I have no idea what happened
eyeball machines and giant markers and convergence??
what the fuck? I do have to say I have a crush on Isaac's voice, so good. I love the intensity in his voice, and he sounds kinda reminiscent of a younger Michael Keaton or something.

Blutonium said:
This game is getting cheap already. Just bought the PC version for 20$ :D

Here in the UK, I saw it for £27.99 at Gamestation (it was released at £39.99). I was stunned, especially seeing as GAME and Gamestation are usually the most expensive places for new games.

Blutonium

Ben2749 said:
Here in the UK, I saw it for £27.99 at Gamestation (it was released at £39.99). I was stunned, especially seeing as GAME and Gamestation are usually the most expensive places for new games.

Thehut.co.uk actually sells is for 15 pounds right now.

Rolf NB

I don't see myself ever completing a hardcore run. This game is hard, much harder than the first IMO. I'll do a Zealot run and resign myself to never going deeper into it.

Stalkers are the bane of my existence. So much stress. I know I could simply stasis them and make short work, but I just lose it when they start charging. Every time. Goddamn.

took me another four goes this morning, but i took down the
marker
on survivalist. my strategy was good, i was just getting careless with the
shadow children
. used stasis to take less hits from them, got my farm on with the force gun
so long as you aim it parallel to the ground you can basically kill every shadow child you have on screen for maximum item farming
and made sure i reloaded all my guns before trying to open up the weak spot.

it took three openings to take it down.

as ever in all the hard parts of the game, i feel the game is FAIR, though i stand by my feeling that there should have been a store at the last save point, given that you could end up without enough ammo to take
nicole
down the first time, and if you hadn't been staggering saves you'd be screwed.

Just finished the game. In summary I have to say that it was probably the biggest disapoint since RE5 for me personally.

Since it seems some of the developers are reading here, I'd like to adress some of the things I didn't like about DS2. Note: I still love DS 1 and also think Extraction was a great piece of software. I know many in here will not agree with me, but whatever...

- The introduction was terrible (gimme a few minutes before throwing me into the action...)
- Extremely linear - almost no exploration any more
- Only two real objectives in the entire game!?
- Weak storyline
- Annoying enemies (the Leapers....)
- No boss battles
- Most of the zero gravity areas seemed random (and are generall not that good)

Badest and most annoying part were the last two hours...

I don't know but throwing millions of enemies at me all the time didn't seem like the best idea. Especially when they're always spawning behind me again. I got really sick of it cleary a certain area and proceding to next to take care of the enemies there only to get attaked from the area I cleared a few second ago.... What were they thinking?
And the Hunter at the end... Was there a reason he was there or we he just in there for the sake of getting all enemies from DS1 into DS2? I don't know.... I was just facepalming when he showed up...

Overall I'd give the game a 6/10. I really hope DS3 will be more like DS1 again. Meaning more Adventure and less Action.... As someone mentioned in this thread before I really loved the feeling that after some time I really got to know the enviroment. If there was a door, I would be able to open it sooner or later.... Really missed that in DS2. :(

Once again, never felt like there were 'millions' of enemies. The build-up of enemies was, comparatively speaking, the same as the last chapters of DS1.

MarshMellow96 said:
Once again, never felt like there were 'millions' of enemies. The build-up of enemies was, comparatively speaking, the same as the last chapters of DS1.
Yeah, well... Since the last chapter of DS1 was clearly the weakest part of the game that ain't exactly an excuse. It should be even more criticised because they should have known better by know. But no, they made it even worse this time... -.-'

TheExorzist said:
Yeah, well... Since the last chapter of DS1 was clearly the weakest part of the game that ain't exactly an excuse. It should be even more criticised because they should have known better by know. But no, they made it even worse this time... -.-'

I don't know about that. I felt of both games that it was the Necromorphs reacting to you being in the Marker's presence. The closer you got, the more, shall we say, 'agitated' they got. It felt like a pretty natural culmination, personally.

Not to impugn anybody's ability as a gamer, but when going through on Zealot, I got to Tiedemann after being told by Gaf that the last few chapters were 'oh my God, so many enemies plus extras, can't handle it' hard, etc, etc. only to find myself thinking, 'where was the really hard part?' If anything, the endgame could've been a bit longer, if only to flesh out Tiedemann.

I'm currently playing through Normal on NG+ and it's a total joke - you don't even have to aim.

Stallion Free said:
I don't understand how someone can enjoy Extraction more than DS2. The opinion is rejected by my brain.
Extraction was just sooo friggin well done, that's all I can say. Great progression, cool dialog, cool boss battles etc.
Honestly, after only playing Umbrella Chronicles from this genre I really didn't expect much. I was blown away.

@MarshMellow: I know it may make sense in the context of the story but damn it.... it was just so not fun to play. They could have done much, much, much better.

todahawk

I was just reading a reddit thread about DS2 hardcore runs and a guy mentions this: "Also, grab puker's puke and throw it back, that's an instant kill even against the elites."

Has anyone done this? Gotta TK them/it first?

BeeDog

greenjerk said:
I was just reading a reddit thread about DS2 hardcore runs and a guy mentions this: "Also, grab puker's puke and throw it back, that's an instant kill even against the elites."

Has anyone done this? Gotta TK them/it first?

I did it all the time, and yes, it's an insta-kill.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheExorzist said:
Extraction was just sooo friggin well done, that's all I can say. Great progression, cool dialog, cool boss battles etc.
Honestly, after only playing Umbrella Chronicles from this genre I really didn't expect much. I was blown away.
The pacing was atrocious, story segments dragged on way too long for a light gun game, the combat was no where near as fun as it was in the full games, and the bosses were mind-numbingly boring.

I enjoyed seeing another side to the DS1 events, but I would have done just about anything for it to be done like an actual DS game.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Yes I too was pissed that there were no boss battles. but damn, I really hated it when they added those immortal necromorphs towards the end. I couldn't enjoy killing necromorphs without those bastards cockblockin you.

BeeDog

Verano said:
Yes I too was pissed that there were no boss battles. but damn, I really hated it when they added those immortal necromorphs towards the end. I couldn't enjoy killing necromorphs without those bastards cockblockin you.

I don't mind the lack of time to actually kill the other necros, but the major problem with the last areas is that as soon as you open a door, a bloody black necro will attack you immediately, either a black leaper, a black wallbaby or a black puker. Very frustrating, especially on Hard Core.

TheExorzist said:
@MarshMellow: I know it may make sense in the context of the story but damn it.... it was just so not fun to play. They could have done much, much, much better.

Fair enough I guess. I really enjoyed it. Yes, it was challenging, but I never felt hard done by if I died. Interesting that there's so much opinion on the last act.

EDIT: Okay, there was one occasion with an advanced Leaper waiting behind a door; but we said hello and then I introduced him to a good friend of mine..

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Mr. Sam said:
HMV - or at least my HMV - has both versions for £25. Hence why I bought it yesterday.

it looks like there has been a price collapse in the UK. I just ordereed the 360 version for £24 from play.com. Amazon has it pretty cheap aswell. PC version seems to be under £15 in alot of places.

This and Deathsmiles for just over £40. Pretty good for this weekends shopping (shame about the food prices).

Hardcore Mode. Chapter 10. About to go into Decontamination Chamber. Just used my second save.

Man, I'm sweating bullets but I'll be able to do it. Jeeesus, it's nerve-wracking! O_O

SketchTheArtist said:
Hardcore Mode. Chapter 10. About to go into Decontamination Chamber. Just used my second save.

Man, I'm sweating bullets but I'll be able to do it. Jeeesus, it's nerve-wracking! O_O
I want to do hardcore really badly, but I'm waiting for a PC patch so I can actually get my unlocks T_T.

Sadist

Sucks I have to wait like three weeks for my copy to arrive, but I can't wait for my PC copy to arrive.

To hype myself: is it better than the first one?

Bankoiia

This has probably already been mentioned several times, but I really love how they handled zero gravity in this game. While adjusting the solar panels outside I had an urge to just get lost in the blackness of space.

Bankoiia said:
This has probably already been mentioned several times, but I really love how they handled zero gravity in this game. While adjusting the solar panels outside I had an urge to just get lost in the blackness of space.

Do you know if there's an invisible wall if you go too far or do you get a death sequence?

Chapter 7, so far I've enjoyed Dead Space far more. Dead Space 2 is basically the same game, I really have this been there done that feeling going through this game. Nothing have stood out so far, except for the slightly better IQ.

Mr. Sam

Omotesando said:
Chapter 7, so far I've enjoyed Dead Space far more. Dead Space 2 is basically the same game, I really have this been there done that feeling going through this game. Nothing have stood out so far, except for the slightly better IQ.

AI?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hardcore mode: best choice of weapons? Should I buy line gun?

Just beat the game on zealot today (it was my first run through so no upgrades, crazy lol) and jumped into Hardcore right away. Got my first death in chapter 1 against Stasis necro...currently in chapter 3 now. I've hardly read any guides so I'm getting pretty nervous playing right now

Top Bottom