• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Yes Boss! said:
Got a quick Dead Space question.

I've got the first game, the second game, and Extraction. Is it safe to start with Extraction first?

Played the first chapter of Extraction and loving it but not sure if they need to be played in the order they were released.
Dead Space Extraction is set before the original but it spoils one of the twists of the original game so I would play it after the first but before Dead Space 2.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
jaekwon15 said:
In short: Visceral Games does not understand the difference between a challenging difficulty setting and a "I want to eat my fucking controller and take a nap during loading screens" difficulty setting.
jaekwon15 said:
say what you want. but im saying normal is FUN and any harder is far from fun. and isnt the point of playing a videogame is to have fun? /end

You're making the mistake of thinking your subjective experience with the difficulties speaks only to Visceral's understanding of game design and not something about you as a player. You get that some people might enjoy the harder difficulties, right? They might have "fun" with them, which is the point of videogames, am I right?

Yes Boss!

TenshiOni said:
Dead Space Extraction is set before the original but it spoils one of the twists of the original game so I would play it after the first but before Dead Space 2.
Thanks.

Concerned about something like that.

Dave1988

Anyone interested in forming a Multiplayer party? I'm sick and tired of dealing with randoms and their inability to complete objectives or cooperate with anyone else :/

PSN: Dave1988

JohngPR

Dave1988 said:
Anyone interested in forming a Multiplayer party? I'm sick and tired of dealing with randoms and their inability to complete objectives or cooperate with anyone else :/

PSN: Dave1988

I'm interested. It's a pain playing the multiplayer and having everyone do their own thing instead of the objective at hand.

I won't be able to play today because I work but feel free to add me to your friends list.

PSN: JohngPR

StevePharma said:
The guys from the Rebel FM-podcast have been doing a "Game Club" (aka book club for games) special on Dead Space 2 for the last couple of weeks. While I'm not much of a Rebel FM listener I really like this concept for a podcast.

It's nice to listen to the guys talking about the game in a chronological order and remember all the great parts from it.
lots of Good podcast's in the same vein.

http://www.squadronofshame.com/

JohngPR

I forgot to mention just how much I enjoyed Chapter 10...it was amazing.

I loved how they fucked with you by exploiting what you knew about the Ishimura in Dead Space 1 and exploiting it For example, when you went into a quarantine lock down which in Dead Space would mean you are going to get attacked by Necromorphs, but in DS2 they didn't have any come out during the quarantine lock out. That was awesome because the entire time you are anticipating it and then it doesn't happen. They do this a few times which keeps you on your toes. Great way of exploiting the level design from the first game.

voltron

Couple questions about Hardcore mode...

Is the general consensus that the best place to to do the first save is in chapter 10? Ive read that elsewhere but I would like some gaf opinions before committing.

Of the downloadable packs for sale which would be the most beneficial? The descriptions for the packs on marketplace are fucking useless. I feel kinda dirty paying 400pts just to help with HC mode... but ahh well. Only getting 1 though.

voltron said:

Is the general consensus that the best place to to do the first save is in chapter 10? Ive read that elsewhere but I would like some gaf opinions before committing.

Of the downloadable packs for sale which would be the most beneficial? The descriptions for the packs on marketplace are fucking useless. I feel kinda dirty paying 400pts just to help with HC mode... but ahh well. Only getting 1 though.

Maybe the forged pack? The suits in that one give health packs a 10% increase, I think (along with 25% armour), but I'm not entirely sure if that's what they're called.

voltron

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Maybe the forged pack? The suits in that one give health packs a 10% increase, I think (along with 25% armour), but I'm not entirely sure if that's what they're called.

Cheers.

Ill look online to see exactly whats in the packs.

Replicant

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
There's 25% armor in DLC suit? The only 25% suit I know are the ones you can't purchased. At most they come with 15%.

voltron

Heres a list of the contents of the packs... (in case anyone else is interested too).
MARTIAL LAW PACK:

EarthGov Bundle-
http://i.imgur.com/T9FxH.jpg
EarthGov Security Suit (increases damage 5% for detonator, Seeker Rifle, Pulse Rifle)
EarthGov Pulse Rifle (increases alt-fire damage 5%, reload speed 10%)
EarthGov Seeker Rifle (increases damage 5%, firing speed 5%)
EarthGov Detonator (increases damage 5%, firing speed 5%)

Bloody Bundle-
http://i.imgur.com/7lJIK.jpg
Bloody Vintage Suit (increases damage 5% for Flamethrower, Javelin Gun, Force Gun)
Bloody Flamethrower (increases damage 5%, reload speed 10%)
Bloody Javelin Gun (increases alt-fire damage 5%, reload speed 5%)
Bloody Force Gun (increases alt-fire damage 5%, firing speed 5%)

SUPER NOVA PACK:

Forged Bundle-
http://i.imgur.com/mIff6.jpg
Forged Engineering Suit (15% medpack bonus)
Forged Plasma Cutter (increases damage 10%, reload speed 5%)
Forged Line Gun (increases firing speed 5%, alt-fire damage 10%)
Forged Ripper (primary fire lasts one second longer, increases alt-fire damage 10%)

Heavy-Duty Bundle-
http://i.imgur.com/mGuG4.jpg
Heavy-Duty Vintage Suit (increases damage 5% for Line Gun, Detonator, Contact Beam)
Heavy-Duty Line Gun (increases reload speed 10%, damage 5%)
Heavy-Duty Contact Beam (primary fire charge reduced by 0.1 seconds, damage increase 5%)
Heavy-Duty Detonator (increases reload speed 10%, damage 5%)

Agility Bundle-
http://i.imgur.com/wvtxP.jpg
Agility Advanced Suit (10% increases to Stasis duration)
Agility Rivet Gun (increases reload speed 5%, firing speed 5%)
Agility Plasma Cutter (increases reload speed 5%, firing speed 5%)
Agility Pulse Rifle (increases reload speed 5%, firing speed 5%)

OCCUPATIONAL HAZARD PACK:

Hazard Bundle-
http://i.imgur.com/7UokW.jpg
Hazard Suit (5% increase to Stasis duration
Hazard Line Gun (increases alt-fire damage 5%, reload speed 5%)

Triage Bundle-
http://i.imgur.com/LtIfa.jpg
Triage Suit (10% medpack bonus)
Triage Javelin Gun (increases damage 10%, reload speed 5%)

Shockpoint Bundle-
http://i.imgur.com/bM5qz.jpg
Shockpoint Suit (decreases Stasis recharge 5%)
Shockpoint Ripper (primary fire lasts one second longer, increases reload speed 5%)

-------------------

Sorry for the shoddy pictures - my iPhone can only do too much.

These were taken from my Limited Edition guide. It doesn't provide info on the armor or inventory directly, though if you look in the actual packs, you'll see them (except the Hazard pack) labeled as Engineering, Security, Vintage or Advanced Suit.

Engineering Suits - 10 Inventory Slots, 5% Armor
Security Suits - 15 Inventory Slots, 10% Armor
Vintage Suits - 20 Inventory Slots, 15% Armor
Advanced Suits - 25 Inventory Slots, 20% Armor

From Here.

Balphon

voltron said:

Chapter 10 seems really late for the first save. I'd make it in chapter 6 or 7 somewhere. I saved right before the
Solar Array elevator
, personally.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
do the gaming community a favour and don't buy any of that disgusting DLC bullshit.

remember when all of that was unlockable last generation? good times.

Replicant

Rez said:
do the gaming community a favour and don't buy any of that disgusting DLC bullshit.

remember when all of that was unlockable last generation? good times.
The thing is, you don't have to buy them to play the game. All of the cool suits are free and usable on the New Game+.

The problem is that you can't use the cool suits on Hardcore. Otherwise I wouldn't buy the DLC suits. I think Visceral should let us to use the Advance suits on Hardcore next time. None of these, only DLC suits can be used on Hardcore.

Scarecrow

voltron said:

I did my first save in ch. 10, but I had the benefit of the Zeolot force gun and suit I got from the collector's edition. If you can manage, right before the solar elevator would be a good save spot, ch7. If you're playing on the 360, you'll get a bonus soft checkpoint after the disc swap, but you must save before turning off the system.

So I just beat the game. Don't know if I would say disappointing, but I don't believe it was as good as 1. It's not a hard game at all if you keep your stuff updated and I was basicly able to beat the game on normal with only 2-3 weapons. Still, I'm not quite sure how I feel about the game. I thought the levels were boring and in no way took advantage of the fact that you are in a city. You mine as well been on another ship. Very disappointing in that regard. Also, they just weren't interesting. In the first the game sold that you were on a ship and you kind of figured out how things work and the how world DS is. That doesn't really happened in this game. The gameplay doesn't feel that much evolved, it's just more DS but with annoying encounters. The end of the game is just throwing tons of enemies at you and they're not hard to kill, but their numbers and that fact that they seem to just pop up behind you make them pretty annoying. Then you have the regenerateing enemy and those types of enemies are never a good idea. They always bring games down and DS is no exception.

As for the story, I mostly found it boring. Doesn't feel like much happened and the constant "Your not My GF or what" got pretty annoying. The ending was pretty funny in that regard. DS1 may be better if only because Issac didn't talk.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
CozMick said:
You're joking right?

There is nothing worse than a game with multiple discs.

It's two discs. So yes, you will have to get off of the couch one time in the process of playing the game. The worst!

Wrapped it up on Zealot and did a mop-up on my remaining achievements, leaving only the hardcore one left. I feel pretty good about putting both discs back in the case and likely not playing it again for years. Had a good time, definitely got my money's worth and am hoping they make some bold changes in the third one, even though I'd probably still have a good time with more of the same.

venom2124

voltron said:

I finished hardcore mode a couple days ago and it really was nerve wracking. I made my first save in chap 5
right before the betrayal cutscene.
My second save was in chap 10
right before re-entering the decontamination chamber on the Ishimura.
My final save was (forgot the chapter)
right after sending Ellie away in the EarthGov facility, before the big fight in the lobby.
There was no way my nerves could take waiting until chap 10 to save. If you can do that, go for it. The endgame will be a breeze for you then.

I actually bought the supernova pack for the heavy duty contact beam. Honestly, I pretty much used the beam exclusively for the last few chapters. I used the plasma cutter, line gun, and ripper/force gun for the first 11 or so chaps, then respec'd until the contact beam was maxed out. So for the last few chaps I rolled with maxed out stasis and contact beam, and maxed out rig health. The beams alternate allows you to run through the ending chaps with no problem. The last fight took me 30 seconds tops. My inventory was split between all the medium healths I collected and the other half was all beam ammo. The first 2/3s of the game on hardcore was much more difficult than the last third because of the beam's alternate fire.

AlStrong

voltron said:
Heres a list of the contents of the packs... (in case anyone else is interested too).

The wikia has some better quality pics of the RIGs here: http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Rig#RIGs_in_Dead_Space_2

There must be some mistake about accessing the Arctic Security RIG (they say PC-only), but I'm seeing it in the store on my 360 save. I have no idea when it got unlocked for me though since I only just noticed it on my 7th run of the game, and I've played both Survivalist and Zealot. I haven't played multiplayer much either (less than 5 matches). I certainly haven't seen it in the store before, and it's free, so maybe it's related to the number of times I've passed the game.

def sim

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I don't have a surround setup, so maybe that's the problem, but it seems like the game could have better directional audio.

One thing DS2 does worse than DS1 is the handling of surround sound. It's harder to tell what's going on, where things are, and, for no real reason at all, dialog is disabled from the center channel and is pushed through the front side speakers. It's super dumb.

That said, DS2 is a much, much more refined game and is a lot of fun. I played the hell out of DS1 and I'm seeing myself doing the same thing for this.

voltron

venom2124 said:
I finished hardcore mode a couple days ago and it really was nerve wracking. I made my first save in chap 5
right before the betrayal cutscene.
My second save was in chap 10
right before re-entering the decontamination chamber on the Ishimura.
My final save was (forgot the chapter)
right after sending Ellie away in the EarthGov facility, before the big fight in the lobby.
There was no way my nerves could take waiting until chap 10 to save. If you can do that, go for it. The endgame will be a breeze for you then.

I actually bought the supernova pack for the heavy duty contact beam. Honestly, I pretty much used the beam exclusively for the last few chapters. I used the plasma cutter, line gun, and ripper/force gun for the first 11 or so chaps, then respec'd until the contact beam was maxed out. So for the last few chaps I rolled with maxed out stasis and contact beam, and maxed out rig health. The beams alternate allows you to run through the ending chaps with no problem. The last fight took me 30 seconds tops. My inventory was split between all the medium healths I collected and the other half was all beam ammo. The first 2/3s of the game on hardcore was much more difficult than the last third because of the beam's alternate fire.

Yeah I just played upto chapter 3 (after the train) then couldnt take it any more. I saved. I just wasnt up for playing another 5hrs and my nerves were fucking WRECKED!

def sim

BeeDog said:
- You can use stasis packs immediately.

Really wish they'd take this option out and put the instant health back in a harder to press button. Let's be honest, no one ever uses those stasis packs. They might as well be semi-conductors. Pressing B/circle and accidentally using a large health pack isn't likely, but the one time you may do it in a playthrough is annoying enough to warrant a move.

Unless I can map it out myself in the menu. Come to think of it, I haven't messed around with the control options much.

AlStrong said:
Hm.. are any of you finding the audio to skip on 360? I've played through it several times and there are times when the audio just skips during heavy action. It happened mostly during the
ride on top of the drilling vehicle

It's like the audio signal resets and my receiver is trying to find the signal again. :s I have it installed to the HDD on a 360 Slim. Other times it's a bit random, but again always during some shooting/fighting.

WickedLaharl said:
yup. i mentioned this a few weeks ago. after googling around i found this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=201898&start=30

dunno if the solution works as i haven't tried it yet.

So this is a problem with the game? Good to know. I've had this happen to me a couple of times and thought I had to rewire my speakers.

Hope they patch this out. The audio problems in this game are a total surprise after their impressive effort on DS1. :(

Did anyone else pause the game and turn around with a puzzled expression when the alarm clock went off early on in the game? When I did this, I immediately exclaimed "What the Hell?! Why did the alarm go off?"

It took me seconds later to realize it came from the game.

Replicant

Did anyone else pause the game and turn around with a puzzled expression when the alarm clock went off early on in the game? When I did this, I immediately exclaimed "What the Hell?! Why did the alarm go off?"

It took me seconds later to realize it came from the game.

The game gave me a heart palpitation the first time I heard the self-flushing toilet in the Sprawl complex flushes itself. Those sound engineer bastards! I thought it's a lurker behind me.

hxcmuziq

Banned
Question about multiplayer and online code. Does the online code associate itself with the gamertag as well as the console? My son played the MP on his gamertag on my console. Will he be able to bring it to his mom's house and play the MP there? or will I have to purchase the online code for him to play at his mom's?

todahawk

rance said:
Really wish they'd take this option out and put the instant health back in a harder to press button. Let's be honest, no one ever uses those stasis packs. They might as well be semi-conductors. Pressing B/circle and accidentally using a large health pack isn't likely, but the one time you may do it in a playthrough is annoying enough to warrant a move.

Stasis is a life saver... I used it much, much more. Didn't use as many packs the last 1/3 of the game since I maxed it early.

Wiggum2007 said:
Man, fuck Pukers.

Totally hated those fuckers.

Beat the game this weekend. Enjoyed it thoroughly, much better than DS1 in my opinion. Loved Isaac's character in this one.

Forgot to mention that I thought the moment where Isaac slumps down after destroying the marker and the credits start to come up was awesome. I was all, "Man it sucks he's going to die, but what a satisfying way to go..." then he gets saved which was cool too. Good to see he's going to make it. But I just like the moment where he kind of accepts his fate and the place is falling down around him.

george_us

After replaying DS2 the final chapters don't piss me off nearly as much. In fact, they're quite good! My appreciation for the game has grown a lot despite the story still being a lot worse than DS1. The UI design is out of this word.

rance said:

I came here to post this. I've done it probably 3 times, as well as other slips as well. Coming out of a Store menu, I was hitting O a bunch of times to back out of it and got in a a health pack or two. If anything, they should make it not work if you're at full health or the healthy pack you're using takes you to over full. Related, in battle sometimes I instinctively try to blind fire and end up with melee or worse, blind alt fire which results in stomp. Died once expecting the Contact Beams "get away from me" alt fire, and stomped instead. Got swarmed and brutally killed.

So am I a cheapskate, or did anyone else put the
Vintage
suit on whenever buying from the store for the discount, just to take it off when done shopping?

Recently bought a Asus G73jw and am currently deployed so my initial plan of playing this on PS3 fell through. How did the PC version of this turn out? Is it a good port? 360 controller UI support? good performance? etc.

Thanks again GAF

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
revolverjgw said:
Cot dangit this game is extremely long.

yeah, I was expecting Chapter 10 to be the last, but then I learned that there are more chapters to chew through.

rance said:
One thing DS2 does worse than DS1 is the handling of surround sound. It's harder to tell what's going on, where things are, and, for no real reason at all, dialog is disabled from the center channel and is pushed through the front side speakers. It's super dumb.

Totally agree. DS1's sound design was much more aggressive. You always felt like you were surrounded by a running creaking ship.

subversus

AgentOtaku said:
Recently bought a Asus G73jw and am currently deployed so my initial plan of playing this on PS3 fell through. How did the PC version of this turn out? Is it a good port? 360 controller UI support? good performance? etc.

Thanks again GAF

The port is mediocre because you've to use D3Doverrider to get the game running at 60 fps vsynced. If you try to do it with in-game options it limits your fps to 30. Also a slight lag in controls is introduced in both cases. The game supports 360 controller. If you don't mind a barely noticeable lag and can install d3doverrider you're good to go.

also no DLC.

subversus said:
The port is mediocre because you've to use D3Doverrider to get the game running at 60 fps vsynced. If you try to do it with in-game options it limits your fps to 30. Also a slight lag in controls is introduced in both cases. The game supports 360 controller. If you don't mind a barely noticeable lag and can install d3doverrider you're good to go.

also no DLC.

DLC gonna be multiplayer only? if so, no loss then...

I actually like that it locks it to 30fps (yeah, i'm one of those guys who appreciates the option when devs put it in ala Capcom's RE5 port)

subversus

AgentOtaku said:
DLC gonna be multiplayer only? if so, no loss then...

I actually like that it locks it to 30fps (yeah, i'm one of those guys who appreciates the option when devs put it in ala Capcom's RE5 port)

then buy it. It will look beautiful on your small 1920 screen and the game is outstanding.

and no, DLC is SP.

I'm about 1 step away from beating the game. I can't remember the exact chapter numbers, but it was probably 13/14:

When the Regenerator was chasing me, I couldn't help but feel like I was doing something wrong. The first encounter (after needling your eye) you had to hack a panel with that mofo in the room. I wasted so much everything trying to get him to stay down long enough for me to pull it off. Then he appears in a room with a bunch of other mofos and you had to TK an employee to the door. It opens up but motherfucker comes through the door right after me! I ran back into the room, got him away from the door, and used stasis on him, but he still chased me through the door! When I ran past the save point I suspected that something wasn't right. Next room had you fight some dudes, go up elevator, go through some more rooms, etc, but I was running past items and enemies and just running for my life. Awesome part of the game but since I was running past a save point and some items that I really needed, I can't help but wonder if that's how that part is supposed to go.
Still awesome, though

JohngPR

Just beat the game....fucking amazing.

The end of Chapter 14 was fucking insane. The needle going through your eye was one of the more gnarly things I've seen in a game. So wrong....LOL.

The last boss fight was incredibly easy. I just used the contact beam for Nicole and the marker and then used the force gun to clear away all those kiddie necros.

The ending was pretty cool....loved how the credits begin to role and for a second you think that he was going to let himself die with the base and then the credits are interrupted by Ellie coming back to bust you out.
I thought the story was simple, but very effective.
Is it safe to say that Isaac is no longer insane? I took the end to mean that the Marker no longer has a hold of him. At the end, it showed a shot similar to DS1 where Isaac looks completely broken and when he looks to his side, Nicole was there talking to him. In this game it uses the same shot, except this time he doesn't look completely broken and when he goes to look to his side for Nicole, Ellie is there and says, "What?". LOL Great ending, IMO.

This is one of my early GOTY contenders and unless some truly amazing games come out, I see this in my top five by the end of the year.

todahawk

Gryphter said:
I came here to post this. I've done it probably 3 times, as well as other slips as well. Coming out of a Store menu, I was hitting O a bunch of times to back out of it and got in a a health pack or two. If anything, they should make it not work if you're at full health or the healthy pack you're using takes you to over full. Related, in battle sometimes I instinctively try to blind fire and end up with melee or worse, blind alt fire which results in stomp. Died once expecting the Contact Beams "get away from me" alt fire, and stomped instead. Got swarmed and brutally killed.

So am I a cheapskate, or did anyone else put the
Vintage
suit on whenever buying from the store for the discount, just to take it off when done shopping?

LOL, yup. I did it once after I got the last suit (chap 11), I had horded up a bunch of money so I bought the
advanced
suit and spent a ton on nodes.

Drewsky

JohngPR said:
Is it safe to say that Isaac is no longer insane? I took the end to mean that the Marker no longer has a hold of him. At the end, it showed a shot similar to DS1 where Isaac looks completely broken and when he looks to his side, Nicole was there talking to him. In this game it uses the same shot, except this time he doesn't look completely broken and when he goes to look to his side for Nicole, Ellie is there and says, "What?". LOL Great ending, IMO.
I don't know man. It seems to be kind of Dead Space's thing to have a unreliable protagonist so to speak. I mean, most of the first game had you thinking Nicole was still alive, then in this one, the ending had you thinking she was on your side. I kinda can't seem them stepping away from the Isaac is broken thing.

Top Bottom