• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Roscoe

Neo Member
Just finished reading Dead Space Martyr. Wow interesting read. It is a video game novel but if your looking for more Dead Space I recommend it. You learn a ton about the "real" Michael Altman.

todahawk

Salaadin said:
Im having a hard time justifying other weapons because they take up my precious inventory slots. I have a hard enough time hanging onto the things I want the way it is. I did just get the suit upgrade with 15 slots now so I might be better.

I love the way anti-gravity is handled in this. Its a complete turnaround from DS1s annoying anti gravity and pretty much made every move in the right direction. It feels soooo.....nice

I really like the plasma cutter but for DS2 I really needed a second weapon for crowd control. Maybe if I had upgraded my stasis earlier I could've coped better but plasma cutter + force gun carried me a long way and I eventually switched to mostly contact beam + force gun with the cutter for cleanup.

I also used TK a helluva lot more than in DS1. On my zealot run I'm using it even more than my first play through (have maxed stasis doesn't hurt either).

zooL

did anyone else notice the room in the last chapter where you could look outside the window and see a really horrendously bad skybox? i mean it is really, REALLY low res and you could even see the seams between the sides. it is worse than the google maps thing in resistance 2. how the hell could they overlook that? lazy...

todahawk

Oh, minor issue that bugged me. Maybe intentional, maybe not. Put I wish I could've carried metal poles, explosive canisters, etc. with TK on lifts or elevators. 9 times out of 10 it would disappear as soon as the lift or elevator started moving.

highrider

Banned
I find myself using the seeker rifle more than the plasma cutter on subsequent plays. Very reliable when fully upgraded and it seems to get a lot of ammo drops. Love the way they tuned the zoom, very intuitive. You do need to have fully upgraded stasis for close combat though.

Posting with some love for the Seeker rifle. It was my most used gun after I got it, was not expecting that at all. One thing I never worked out though, is damage in alt fire separate from damage dealt normally, as in if I upgrade normal damage stat, does alt fire also get upgraded? Is alt fire upgraded damage on top of normal damage, or separate from it?

highrider

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Posting with some love for the Seeker rifle. It was my most used gun after I got it, was not expecting that at all. One thing I never worked out though, is damage in alt fire separate from damage dealt normally, as in if I upgrade normal damage stat, does alt fire also get upgraded? Is alt fire upgraded damage on top of normal damage, or separate from it?

I'm kind of curious about that myself. It seems to do the same damage whether zoomed or not. It always removes any limb it hits in my experience. I particularly like it on the tentacle babies. I always had trouble hitting them without burning a lot of stasis.

todahawk

luxarific said:

Thanks!
TzBAJ.jpg

pickle said:
I'm kind of curious about that myself. It seems to do the same damage whether zoomed or not. It always removes any limb it hits in my experience. I particularly like it on the tentacle babies. I always had trouble hitting them without burning a lot of stasis.
tentacle babies are for stomping. if they're on the floor anyway. stasis STOMP STOMP STOMP.

highrider

Banned
plagiarize said:
tentacle babies are for stomping. if they're on the floor anyway. stasis STOMP STOMP STOMP.

I dunno, they're always zipping around the walls and shit. I hardly ever stomp them. I'm on my third playthrough on zealot will fully upgraded everything and i still horde stasis like a miser. I'm always afraid i'll flippantly use it on a few lesser enemies and then get bum rushed with an empty meter..

Duki

Banned
man i just finished this shit and the plot got confused even more from the first game

k so what the fuck actually controls necromorphs, hive minds or markers? i know technically the marker always created the necromorphs, but what happened to the casting a dead space so that the infection couldnt occur. are the markers pro or anti necromorph lol

how did the necromorphs on this station know wtf to do without a hive mind

shit is banans

fun game though goddamn

Duki said:
man i just finished this shit and the plot got confused even more from the first game

k so what the fuck actually controls necromorphs, hive minds or markers? i know technically the marker always created the necromorphs, but what happened to the casting a dead space so that the infection couldnt occur. are the markers pro or anti necromorph lol

how did the necromorphs on this station know wtf to do without a hive mind

shit is banans

fun game though goddamn
I honestly don't think we'll ever figure it out. As much depth the Dead Space universe has, I wonder if the creators of the universe themselves know what's going on.

Replicant

Duki said:
k so what the fuck actually controls necromorphs, hive minds or markers?

Xenu, obviously. Praise be Altman!!!

srs answer
The writers haven't sort that out yet. So far it seems the Necros are entities that got created by exposing dead bodies to the marker but not intentionally created by the marker.

And oh, what's everyone's fave quote from DS2? Mine: "FUCK YOU!! AND FUCK YOUR MARKER!!""

ssowinski

Just finished a few mins ago.

A very atmospheric game to say the least. I found myself pushing myself backwards in my chair when backing my character up during a scary scene more often than not. The last time I did that kind of thing was when I was a kid jerking my controller upwards whenever I made Mario jump in a game.

Was I better than DS1? - Yes in some ways and no in others. Less variety in the levels, more control, less bosses, but less frustrating ones. It does what it does well. Fans of the other will enjoy this for sure, and then some.

tsigo

Just used my second Hard Core save,
start of Chapter 12, right before the drill sequence. For my third I think I'll be doing it right before the needle machine. So far, so good.

Not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Did all of Disc 1 (Ch 1-6) on my first try, then used my first save around the middle of chapter 9, which was good because almost immediately after using a save I proceeded to die to stupid mistakes and rushing things three or four times.

KAOz

Short bus special
Figured I would restart my Hardcore playthrough, as I had allready used up 2 saves by the end of Chapter fucking 6! Yeah. You see why I did it?

I love this game, but fuck this game. Seriously. Got to the Tram Sequence, without even getting hit a single time. Full blue rig. A Puker comes through the Tram window, no problem, I deal with him like I did with all the other ones. So I rip into him with the Ripper.
He goes into flailing/dying animation. Out of nowhere, invisible death. Somehow, as he was dying, he managed to kill me.
On a full, blue, rig. One fucking hit.

Wat!? That shit angered me.

Just had to let it get off my chest.

Hanmik

just finished my first playthrough... actually played through both Dead Space 1 and 2 in two weeks for the first time..

Both games have piss poor endings.. the beginning and middle part of both games are great. But why couldn´t they just finish good also..? the last parts of both games felt like a chore compared to the beginning and middle part.

I wish the whole game would be as amazing as this gif

just-crazy-o.gif

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

Salaadin

Corky said:
what a shame, would support the hell out of visceral if only they ( them or EA or whoever the fuck is making these moronic decisions ) wised up and released this to us pc-peasants...

Oh well,
It's not coming out for pc at all?

Corky

Salaadin said:
It's not coming out for pc at all?

nothing has been said as of yet, and in this industry that just means " we don't give a fuck " or " no, it's not coming "

:/

Corky

Speaking of which, I was under the impression that the "Severed DLC" was said not to have been developed in tandem with the game itself.

So this would mean that in about 1 month the DLC was started on, finished, sent for cert ( or w/e ) and approved all within that timespan?

Massa

Corky said:
Speaking of which, I was under the impression that the "Severed DLC" was said not to have been developed in tandem with the game itself.

So this would mean that in about 1 month the DLC was started on, finished, sent for cert ( or w/e ) and approved all within that timespan?

They finished the game before Thanksgiving and started on the DLC after that, if I remember correctly.

BeeDog

Corky said:

Seeing as how the DLC focuses on an entirely different character, I don't mind if they worked on this in parallel. The base game was fully-featured as is. :)

Corky

BeeDog said:
Seeing as how the DLC focuses on an entirely different character, I don't mind if they worked on this in parallel. The base game was fully-featured as is. :)

A rare case, but I agree with you. Nonetheless, doesn't change the fact that I won't be able to play it, ironically ( obviously ) they opted to use pc-version screenshoots of the Severed DLC as PR material, as can be seen in the GAF thread.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Finished it on PC.

Amazing game, really high quality entertainment here. Probably the best horror sci fi experience since Aliens for me.

Great great job from the guys at Visceral. The game delivers a lot, one of the best games of the generation no doubt.

Compelling story, great gameplay, beautiful graphics and atmosphere. And that last armor, man that shit was badass.

Keep it going EA and Visceral, this is the kind of gaming that is worth spending money on.

Wiggum2007

I really like Isaac's character in this game, I hope he isn't the main character for the rest of the series though, poor guy deserves a break. Maybe Gabe can take over at some point.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
KAOz said:
Figured I would restart my Hardcore playthrough, as I had allready used up 2 saves by the end of Chapter fucking 6! Yeah. You see why I did it?

I love this game, but fuck this game. Seriously. Got to the Tram Sequence, without even getting hit a single time. Full blue rig. A Puker comes through the Tram window, no problem, I deal with him like I did with all the other ones. So I rip into him with the Ripper.
He goes into flailing/dying animation. Out of nowhere, invisible death. Somehow, as he was dying, he managed to kill me.
On a full, blue, rig. One fucking hit.

Wat!? That shit angered me.

Just had to let it get off my chest.

Part of the Puker that can catch people is that when you do damage to him, the bile/puke that spews from the wounds does damage. It can actually be quite helpful. If you take off his arm while he's next to another Necro, he'll spray bile from that arm stub and damage the Necro next to him.

So, if you Ripper a Puker close to you, watch out. You're creating a lot of wounds that spray damaging puke everywhere.

Minamu

Tomorrow, zavvi will help me find my copy... >_<

Thanks to gametrailers and visceral games, I have Bullet with Butterfly Wings by Smashing Pumpkins stuck in my head :lol

RedAssedApe

Banned
Please tell me I'm not the only one who
drilled into Isaac's face the first time I attempted to stick the needle in his eyeball

You guys weren't kidding about Chapters 13-15. Weakest part of the game.

Corky

henhowc said:
drilled into Isaac's face the first time I attempted to stick the needle in his eyeball

Fortuneately those chapters are rather short and go by quickly.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
henhowc said:

Think I did it about three times, until I realized you could
hold off on the probe's descent until you heard his heartbeat slowdown
. (What can I say, I don't learn quickly.)

Ichabod

Banned
iirc, there is an altimeter on the computer screen just under Isaac's heart rate. I just lowered the needle in a rush until it was close to 1, slowed his heart, waited for his eye to line up, and stuck him.

Duki

Banned
Replicant said:
Xenu, obviously. Praise be Altman!!!

srs answer
The writers haven't sort that out yet. So far it seems the Necros are entities that got created by exposing dead bodies to the marker but not intentionally created by the marker.

And oh, what's everyone's fave quote from DS2? Mine: "FUCK YOU!! AND FUCK YOUR&#65279; MARKER!!""
which still makes no sense because
1) to make necromorphs someone needs to die near the marker 2) the marker at the same time is meant to cast a dead space to stop the necromorph virus from working

it's literally impossible for it to do both at the same time lol

Got round to finishing this on zealot last night which was my third playthrough. Fun but it's put me off the idea of hardcore mode a bit, I died so much on the last few chapters. And that was with maxed out weapons and rig.

Replicant

Duki said:
which still makes no sense because
1) to make necromorphs someone needs to die near the marker 2) the marker at the same time is meant to cast a dead space to stop the necromorph virus from working

it's literally impossible for it to do both at the same time lol

lawl, indeed. I don't know what to say. Maybe I can fanwank it and pretend that
the dead space area cast by the marker is limited in field (IIRC, it only covers a few meters) whereas the telepathic signal is far more reaching. Like one of them has the reach of a torch light while the other has the reach of a sun light or something like that
. Yeah, I know I'm reaching. I hope the writers explain this in future games.

And I'm slowly crawling to Chapter 13 on Zealot. I wish I have more time to play games but 1-2 hours per day is all that I have. So far it's been fun and easy though. I was surprised when my maxed out Plasma Cutter 2-hit killed a black necro. Didn't know that was possible. And the Contact Beam's alt is on a destroy-them-all setting at this point. I have 4x3 ammo reserves just for Chapter 14 and 15 though. Fuck the regenerator.

Zyzyxxz

I beat the game on normal with only a plasma cutter, pulse rifle, and line gun.

I didn't really care much for the Javelin but whats worth trying on a new game+?

Top Bottom