• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Completed it last night on Survivalist.

Congrats to Visceral - on the whole it was fantastic - only minor quibble is that I thought it dipped a bit towards the end.

Kinyou

Finished the game on Hardcore yesterday.
Surprisingly it wasn't as hard as I had expected it to be. I was actually only killed twice by necromorphs and that was both times right after I had saved. But none the less, the tension of thinking that one little mistake could throw you several chapters back... lol that was really some kind of new horror.
What had me really gasping for air was
when I once decompressed a room in chapter 7 and thought I had missed the button. Damn that was sooooo close

Oh and also f*ck that
eye needle scene ^^ I killed my self three times with that thing. Thankfully I had made my last save right before the three red rooms, and knew how to skip those.

Kinyou said:
Finished the game on Hardcore yesterday.

Oh and also f*ck that
eye needle scene ^^ I killed my self three times with that thing. Thankfully I had made my last save right before the three red rooms, and knew how to skip those.

That seems crazy that the eye needle killed you so much. I killed myself one time then figured out you can slow down and Isaac calms down. Meh.

Did anyone else catch the HP Lovecraft reference/tribute/shout-out.
the lonesome obsessed janitor dude Howard Phillps. I mean shit his portrait even resembles him! am I late on mentioning this?

mjb3611

I finished it on Normal yesterday. I usually play all my games on Hard for the campaigns but when I read that the game was had 8 suits broken up into 2 playthroughs, I thought it would be easier to run through it once, get the suits, and then play through it again on the higher setting. I absolutely loved it from start to finish. There wasn't a real lull to me personally. I really dug the last chapters. The only problem I had with the last section was using up all my ammo and supplies on the unkillable necromorph like everyone said here. In the first lab room alone, I think I shot like 30+ Plasma rounds. If I would've just thought to run it would've of course made the last boss so much easier. In the final battle
I was having so much trouble because I had two medium med tanks and like 2 stasis shots and 20 plasma rds, 20 line shots, and 20 javelin shots. It wasn't really the ammo that was the problem as much as it was the health. I kept getting swarmed by the shadows and couldn't get them to drop ammo for the guns I had.
I didn't finish the first game because of all the backtracking. As soon as you stepped off the Ishimura onto the other ship, I was done. Back to DS2, when Nicole
turns on you, I said out loud in my apt,"She takes you this far, you're finally getting over her, and still turns on you?! What a bitch."
But of course it was all part of the story so it made sense. Looking forward to the next playthrough.

I get scared too, but it mostly has to do with the tone and atmosphere of a game. Silent Hill and RE Remake are good examples. Dead Space 2 only has a few really credible scares, despite being an amazing game.

Taoofberg

Anyone else get an achievement they shouldn't have along the way?
Gave me "Peek a Boo," which is for killing something with a zoomed-in seeker rifle. I never bought or used a seeker rifle, plus it gave it to me during a death animation.
Really strange.

Commodore

Dead Space was a surprise for me, really enjoyed it. Thought the last boss was actually good for once unlike a ton of other games lately. About to start Dead Space 2 right now, looking forward to the thrill ride.

Salaadin

Henry Cooldown said:
I get scared too, but it mostly has to do with the tone and atmosphere of a game. Silent Hill and RE Remake are good examples. Dead Space 2 only has a few really credible scares, despite being an amazing game.

Yeah they really set the tone. That creeps me out more than the monsters and scares. Some parts just give you this eerie feeling.

Commodore said:
Dead Space was a surprise for me, really enjoyed it. Thought the last boss was actually good for once unlike a ton of other games lately. About to start Dead Space 2 right now, looking forward to the thrill ride.

Dead Space was a surprise for me too. I gameflyed it and about 2 hours into the game, I paused it so I could go to gameflys website and buy it from them. What I thought was going to be a third person shooter along the lines of Resident Evil ended up being something so much more. It was awesome.

djkimothy

Salaadin said:
:(
Im a scaredy cat that plays horror games.
I literally jump every single time the game tries to make you jump. I get so uneasy when I play horror games.

Same with me, it all started with Silent Hill. I just like to get scared for some reason. And Dead Space 2 did a nice job.

Commodore

Salaadin said:
Yeah they really set the tone. That creeps me out more than the monsters and scares. Some parts just give you this eerie feeling.

Dead Space was a surprise for me too. I gameflyed it and about 2 hours into the game, I paused it so I could go to gameflys website and buy it from them. What I thought was going to be a third person shooter along the lines of Resident Evil ended up being something so much more. It was awesome.

God, I loved stomping on the necros. So satisfying. But I agree, the tension and tone heightened so many aspects of the experience that I was left with a grin on my face. Been a long time since Resident Evil's survival experience was equaled. Tons of moments where things we happening and I was juiced up on adrenaline mashing buttons and crazy things were coming after me. I liked how you never saw Alex's face in the first one, where he became of bit of an enigma. Not sure how I feel about that decision, but I'm about to start the second, hope they justify it and give him some depth.

venom2124

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Did anyone else catch the HP Lovecraft reference/tribute/shout-out.
the lonesome obsessed janitor dude Howard Phillps. I mean shit his portrait even resembles him! am I late on mentioning this?
First I've seen this mentioned. So awesome. Edgar Allen Poe in Dead Space 3 confirmed.

New concept art for Severed!

Lexine:

180964_10150090359641659_18523496658_6436408_1031860_n.jpg

Gabe's suit:

180644_10150090359701659_18523496658_6436411_2847133_n.jpg

Edit: Interesting article on how Visceral created the opening death that set the mood for the game:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/21/the-demise-of-dead-space-2s-franco-delille-how-visceral-killed/

Tenbatsu

Currently at Chapter 13. Great ambience/atmosphere and one of the best in-game lighting I ever seen. However, the game lacks bosses/variety in gameplay. AI is kind of funny too. If you head back to the entrance of the area, those enemies that are chasing you will turn back and return to their original spot, kind of dumb.

Good game. Too much action, especially near the end, but the atmosphere is top notch. I never hit the run button unless I was in battle... it was awesome just walking around and taking in the mood and all the detail in the environments.

Is Extraction worth playing if you don't have the Move? I want to see what happens and of course I want the trophies...

Kinyou

Skiptastic said:
That seems crazy that the eye needle killed you so much. I killed myself one time then figured out you can slow down and Isaac calms down. Meh.
I knew that his pulse get less when you pause, but didn't really notice the "pattern" of his eye until the third time.

Edit: Interesting article on how Visceral created the opening death that set the mood for the game:
Reading it now, very interesting. The scene also greatly showed off the improved graphics.

Laughlin

So am I the only one who thinks the harder difficulties actually make this game better? I started on Survivalist and honestly I think i'm enjoying it a lot more. Less ammo, and more tension. Makes for some good intense combat scenarios.

revolverjgw said:
Good game. Too much action, especially near the end, but the atmosphere is top notch. I never hit the run button unless I was in battle... it was awesome just walking around and taking in the mood and all the detail in the environments.

Is Extraction worth playing if you don't have the Move? I want to see what happens and of course I want the trophies...
I played through Extraction without the move. It's not ideal obviously, but totally playable. Great game.

Replicant

I need more Dead Space/Dead Space 2 related articles to read. Been reading Wikipedia entry to Dead Space just to entertain myself. Now, that's obsessive.

Also, whose voice is it that narrates the "Previously on Dead Space"? I mean, it's definitely not Isaac, character-wise. The narrator said "The religion I once called my own......" and he referred to Isaac like he'd refer to another person.

Replicant said:
I need more Dead Space/Dead Space 2 related articles to read. Been reading Wikipedia entry to Dead Space just to entertain myself. Now, that's obsessive.

Also, whose voice is it that narrates the "Previously on Dead Space"? I mean, it's definitely not Isaac, character-wise. The narrator said "The religion I once called my own......" and he referred to Isaac like he'd refer to another person.

It's Doctor Kyne from the first game. Showed up around Chapter 10, was killed by Kendra.

Read the TV Tropes page on DS2 if you're bored. It's entertaining enough.

JEKKI

whoo~!! made an attempt on hardcores mode.

died on chapter 2 at the
laundry room

o wells... try again next time.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
It's Doctor Kyne from the first game. Showed up around Chapter 10, was killed by Kendra.

Read the TV Tropes page on DS2 if you're bored. It's entertaining enough.

From the TV Tropes page:

On the Ishimura you end up on the medical deck where they've been using a black light to help clean the place up. Naturally that causes a mass of old bloodstains and crazy marker writing to show up. Nothing you haven't seen before however, so you move on. Later though, you notice that you're leaving glowing footprints...which means that not only is this blood fresh, but you've also been walking through giant pools of the stuff.

I have to say I didn't notice
Issac was leaving footprints
. :eek: Can anyone confirm.

Nice to see Lexine has cut back on the eye makeup.

I completed it a few days ago and I generally liked it more than 1, though the last 2 chapters or so was complete bullshit
looking at you Nemesis-type necromorph :mad:

But the game was much better and paced better than Dead Space 1, which I almost fell asleep a few times playing.

Just finished it yesterday. Enjoyed it more than DS1 and I loved the first game. For some reason this one had me peeping around corner slowly taking my time more than the first. I did wish they had more real boss fights though.

SamuraiX-

Laughlin said:
So am I the only one who thinks the harder difficulties actually make this game better? I started on Survivalist and honestly I think i'm enjoying it a lot more. Less ammo, and more tension. Makes for some good intense combat scenarios.

Don't tell jaekwon15 that.

def sim

I like the game best at the hardest difficulty too. It's still the same fun action game, but with the risk of running out of resources and dying from pretty much anything.

greenjerk said:
Stasis is a life saver... I used it much, much more. Didn't use as many packs the last 1/3 of the game since I maxed it early.

Stasis is great. The packs that refill them are much better to sell than use though.

Gvaz

Banned
I've been putting off playing this so much lately, I really should get around to getting past chapter 2.

I did this the last time with DS1 even! I bought it on release day, played the first chapter, then didn't finish it till last year.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Quick question for anyone. Do armor upgrades carry across all armors or stay specific to the one you spent nodes on?

JEKKI said:

died on chapter 2 at the
laundry room

heh I almost got raped in the laundry room by the leaper that comes down. Thankfully I was just being careless. . . got that section in memory. Just use stasis when u need to.

Replicant

JEKKI said:

died on chapter 2 at the
laundry room

The Zealot Force Gun is a Godsend on that area. I once used it and it sent the black necro flying against the window of the laundry area while it instantly broke the entire body of a normal necro. hahaha

Ihya

Level 10 so far and I cannot press my main complaint of the first onto the second; that being of repetition. Above average characters and story also.

The Xtortionist said:
The thing in the
washing machine
reminds me so much of RE4's thing in a
bag
. Homage possibly? And WTF is it?
In the laundry room?

Some ppl say it's one of the necro babies. Didn't seem that way at first. But it might be when you think about it.

Meh. Hurry up with the DLC Visceral/

Replicant

CadetMahoney said:
Meh. Hurry up with the DLC Visceral/
I hope the DLC is long. Nothing more disappointing than short DLC. I also hope they don't compress the graphic/sound too much, especially on PSN since I don't think PSN has limits on the maximum file size allowed for DLC games.

I beat this last night. My previous save was right before the end; finishing it was so short I wish I would have just kept going the night before.

endgame spoilers
More running past mofos and the Regenerator. I would dash straight for the door, put my back to it and shoot/stasis while holding back on the analog stick so he would back up through it asap. Reminds me of classic Resident Evil, running past guys instead of killing everything. Final boss was a cool idea but a let down in terms of a battle. First time I didn't notice to shoot the marker after dispatching Nicole, so I figured I just had to kill X amount of Nicoles. Got swarmed and killed, but at least I got to see the javelin through the face death animation. Round 2 I noticed the marker and went apeshit on it. I'm pretty sure I only took 1 hit during the fight; pulse rifle on Nicole and any enemies near her, after dispatching her I would side strafe and contact beam the marker, but then I decided to plasma cutter everything since I had that weapon maxed out and plenty of ammo. I beat it WAY too easily (playing on Normal). Nice touch with the credits starting, then BAM! Another action scene.

Loved it. Tried multiplayer afterwards... there really is no reason to play it. Everyone was more concerned with playing Deathmatch rather than actually accomplishing the goal, I think there were 6 tasks and I completed 4 of them myself before our team lost. Meh

Laughlin said:

You are not the only one.
Although you should be playing on Zealot...pussy.

Gryphter said:
Loved it. Tried multiplayer afterwards... there really is no reason to play it. Everyone was more concerned with playing Deathmatch rather than actually accomplishing the goal, I think there were 6 tasks and I completed 4 of them myself before our team lost. Meh

The cool thing about multiplayer is that if you actually work as a team...you'll dominate.

dalyr95

Good game, but the first is better. The story is balls to be honest. You spend the first half of the game
looking for someone who dies after 2 mins, you don't learn much or get a red key or anything
, then the old chestnut
destroy the marker
. It doesn't really expand the DS universe, (I probably haven't got all the logs but what I've found doesn't really make you think). It raises some interesting questions regarding
Issac's relationship with the marker, but never reveals them
. The first game expands the universe alot better (suppose it has too really).

Also its way too easy (played one above normal)

Jswanko

Sorry because im sure this question has been asked to death but what weapons are worth getting? The first DS I only used the plasma cutter and i kinda want to try something new this game.

todahawk

Jswanko said:
Sorry because im sure this question has been asked to death but what weapons are worth getting? The first DS I only used the plasma cutter and i kinda want to try something new this game.

You'll do fine with the plasma cutter for a good chunk of the game. Force Gun and Contact Beam are very handy in later parts of the game. But there's lots of room to experiment with the other weapons. The new Detonator is fun to play around with.

Revenant

Jswanko said:

I used the plasma cutter the majority of the time in DS2, but it definitely doesn't have the strength it did in DS. Force gun, contact beam, and javelin gun are all pretty solid.

Havok

Jswanko said:
Upgraded Ripper is easy mode, from what I've seen on my second playthrough. The first time was full on plasma cutter and it's useful, but I didn't love it as much as in the first game.

Salaadin

Revenant said:
I used the plasma cutter the majority of the time in DS2, but it definitely doesn't have the strength it did in DS. Force gun, contact beam, and javelin gun are all pretty solid.

Im having a hard time justifying other weapons because they take up my precious inventory slots. I have a hard enough time hanging onto the things I want the way it is. I did just get the suit upgrade with 15 slots now so I might be better.

I love the way anti-gravity is handled in this. Its a complete turnaround from DS1s annoying anti gravity and pretty much made every move in the right direction. It feels soooo.....nice

Salaadin said:
Im having a hard time justifying other weapons because they take up my precious inventory slots. I have a hard enough time hanging onto the things I want the way it is. I did just get the suit upgrade with 15 slots now so I might be better.

I love the way anti-gravity is handled in this. Its a complete turnaround from DS1s annoying anti gravity and pretty much made every move in the right direction. It feels soooo.....nice

the weapons don't take inventory slots, but their ammo sure does. I liked most weapons; I fully upgraded the Plasma Cutter and no other weapons, but I liked it, the Javelin gun, flamethrower, Pulse rifle, Contact beam. Didn't care for the Ripper, Force gun was usable, and detonator helped me against the stalkers. Hated Line Gun (the beam is so slow!) and didn't even buy the seeker

I liked the anti gravity too but I couldn't help but miss it from DS1 as well. I wish you did at least 1 scene like that with your first suit, then after upgrading you got the boosters with other suits.

Top Bottom