• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Duki

Banned
Replicant said:
lawl, indeed. I don't know what to say. Maybe I can fanwank it and pretend that
the dead space area cast by the marker is limited in field (IIRC, it only covers a few meters) whereas the telepathic signal is far more reaching. Like one of them has the reach of a torch light while the other has the reach of a sun light or something like that
. Yeah, I know I'm reaching. I hope the writers explain this in future games.

And I'm slowly crawling to Chapter 13 on Zealot. I wish I have more time to play games but 1-2 hours per day is all that I have. So far it's been fun and easy though. I was surprised when my maxed out Plasma Cutter 2-hit killed a black necro. Didn't know that was possible. And the Contact Beam's alt is on a destroy-them-all setting at this point. I have 4x3 ammo reserves just for Chapter 14 and 15 though. Fuck the regenerator.
oh ok i confused it. the marker in dead space 1 was edited by the scientists on the original colony to create the dead space, they dont do that normally. normally they just make necromorphs lol.

why isaac was able to build a marker different to the one he encountered still isnt explained, since he only ever made contact with the inhibitor marker, but at least it makes a little more sense

how the necromorphs were able to exist/do shit without a hive mind is still a plot hole, since in the original it controlled them and they all went dormant when the hive mind did.

todahawk

Duki said:
oh ok i confused it. the marker in dead space 1 was edited by the scientists on the original colony to create the dead space, they dont do that normally. normally they just make necromorphs lol.

why isaac was able to build a marker different to the one he encountered still isnt explained, since he only ever made contact with the inhibitor marker, but at least it makes a little more sense

how the necromorphs were able to exist/do shit without a hive mind is still a plot hole, since in the original it controlled them and they all went dormant when the hive mind did.

Reminds me of that line from Aliens: "there must be something we haven't seen yet". Maybe there's another level of control... dunno. Fascinated by the story though.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it on PC Zealot mode with a friend last night, and really enjoyed it.
I'd forgotten quite a lot of the first game, so it was great to get into some of the backstory and even
go back to the Ishimura, etc.

My buddy (who had an awesome rig that ran everything on max settings) liked it as well, although was a bit turned off by some of the OTT gore moments.
For example,
stabbing yourself in the eye
was a bit of a shocker scene, but I thought it worked well in the whole horror game genre, as it's something no one would want to do. In a movie, you can shut your eyes or whatever, but in this you have to do the unimaginable yourself. It's great!

Anyway, as the credits rolled, my friend noticed that the Marker language is a one-to-one code, and we promptly set about translating the hidden messages in the menu screens. It was proper geeky, and we got way too into it, but it was fun!
Apologies if this has been done on previous pages, but for anyone curious, please see below!

Main menu
Top left:
In the end, it all
comes down to
just one little
thing...

Bottom right (partially obscured):
Unite after death
Unite forever

Single player
Top left:
Your body now, our
body later, one
body forever

Bottom left
You can't stop
what's coming

New game - Select difficulty:
Convergence is at
hand

New game+ / Load game:
Ixtab the rope
woman

Multiplayer
Top:
It's not over
between us,
you can't run from
me forever

Bottom:
Make us whole

Quick match:
We must believe in
it and bend
ourselves to its
will and then it
will heal us

Leaderboards:
The answer is at
Chicxulub

Extras
Welcome back
Nicole Brennan

Freaky stuff. Now to play through again and de-code all the crazy blood scribbles on the walls :D

JEKKI

I jus gave Hardcore mode another 3 shots... kept dying in random places.

twice in ch.1, third time in ch.2

lol yeay I guess this mode isnt for me

Replicant

Finally completed Zealot. It was all fun and games, until the red door in Chapter 13. From then on, it was like Mission: Impossible.

At first I tried to defeat all of the Necros in the 4 red rooms but because I didn't carry many weapons and health items, I kept dying. Because I don't want to repeat from the area where you have to dodge those stupid laser just to get more items/health, I decided to just run for it. Stasis, run, beam alt, run, etc until I got to the Brute room. What a nightmare but it's doable. I actually still manage to collect items as I run from room to room so it wasn't a complete disaster. However, I can see that Hardcore might just a bit too much for me.

Hanmik

Found a nice glitch in the PS3 version yesterday..

- Just before Chapter 15, there is a room with a Powernode lock. In this room there are some nice rewards. 2 powernodes and a ruby piece.
I opened the room took everything from the room and ran to the next save station (3 rooms away). but for some crazy reason my PS3 crashed. And I had to load again from the same save station.
I got confused and went the wrong way. So I ended up back in the same room.. and WTF..? the 2 Powernodes were back.. haha. So I messed around a bit more and found a nice and easy way to get unlimited powernodes and lots of money, and it does not take long..!

- Save at savestation after picking up the stuff in the powernode room.
- Press start and quit game.
- Choose to continue game (it will load form the latest save)
- Go to the powernode room again.
- There are 5 possible outcomes from the Powernode room.
1. There are 2 powernodes.
2. There is 1 powernode.
3. There are 2 powernodes and a ruby plate.
4. There is NOTHING.
5. There is 3000 credits in there.
- if the outcome is 1-3 then go back and save.
- if the outcome is 4-5 then quit and reload.
- just go back to the main screen and chose to continue every time.

just repeat this, untill you have the amount of powernodes you need. At the savestation there is a bench and a shop. So I could also sell the Ruby´s and buy Powernodes as well as upgrading weapons..

In less than one hour I had 3 new trophies. the one for 1 gun maxed out. 1 for RIG and Stasis maxed out. And the trophy for 4 weapons maxed out..

Moofers

Started this up a couple nights ago. Holy crap its awesome. I really enjoyed the weapon pack DLC in Dead Space 1, so I wanted to buy some for Dead Space 2. I ended up going with the Martial Law Pack (earthgov and bloody weapons/suits). While I'm happy to have the new weapons, I'm not convinced the new suits are better than my Zealot Force suit (Collector's Edition). I remember the Obsidian suit in DS1 was like already maxed out but all of these have open node slots. Are they basically just pretty suits with 15% bonuses to certain weapons and no other advantages?

Shinjitsu

Banned
Moofers said:
Started this up a couple nights ago. Holy crap its awesome. I really enjoyed the weapon pack DLC in Dead Space 1, so I wanted to buy some for Dead Space 2. I ended up going with the Martial Law Pack (earthgov and bloody weapons/suits). While I'm happy to have the new weapons, I'm not convinced the new suits are better than my Zealot Force suit (Collector's Edition). I remember the Obsidian suit in DS1 was like already maxed out but all of these have open node slots. Are they basically just pretty suits with 15% bonuses to certain weapons and no other advantages?

I went with the Supernova pack and am currently rocking the Forged Engineering Suit. It gives 15% armor and 15% boosted med packs. Seems really nice so far.

Kinyou

JEKKI said:

Are you putting all your upgrade nodes into stasis? I think it's the most efficient tool for surviving hardcore mode

tsigo

JEKKI said:

How'd you die that early? Like the only remotely challenging parts in the first six chapters are in that lobby room with the miniature marker.

Just go slowly and yeah, upgrade Stasis.

Replicant

Moofers said:

The DLCs suits are only good if you're playing on Hardcore (since it doesn't allow you to play on New Game+ and use the other special suits you obtain from the game). The best suit is Elite Advance Suit, which you'll get when you're playing New Game+. 10% damage increase on all weapon, 15% increase on stasis, 25 slots, and 25% increase on armor protection.

Just finished this up in normal. I really don't get the whole "wow the last chapters are so tough!", specially if you are in normal =/

I mean, yeah, there's more enemies in these chapters, but it's actually funny because chapters 14 & 15 were easily the easiest ones in the game for me.

Started working on Zealot now, I'm in chapter 3. It's funny cause now that I know how to play the game and what enemies are coming, the game has been a breeze so far, where in the first play through I had a lot of deaths in the beginning.

Booted up Extraction HD earlier and played through the opening chapter. Not only is my Move getting some use - first time since Time Crisis - the game is pretty fantastic. I found the controls to be satisfying and the atmsophere is really great, very immersive for what is essentially a light gun game with limited movement tacked on.

Minamu

:lol So zavvi are distraught that my copy haven't arrived in 30 days, so now they want to send me a declaration form that I have to sign and send back to the UK before they can start tracking the shipment o_O What are the chances of said document ever reaching me? xD Let alone a new copy.

JEKKI

tsigo said:
How'd you die that early? Like the only remotely challenging parts in the first six chapters are in that lobby room with the miniature marker.

Just go slowly and yeah, upgrade Stasis.
the first time I died in
the staircase (?) room in chapter 1, where u dont have a gun and gotta fight using kinesis. I forgot to grab a lance and ended up getting cornered
X_X

2nd time was the first time u fight
those monsters who spit at you. I killed the first one, but the 2nd one was off camera and killed me
X_X

last time was in the
housing area where u see the two ppl screaming "I dont wanna leave my mom!!!" I ran ahead, and a monster came out of the wall and grabbed me. I mashed the X button, but it wasnt enough to save my life
X_X

and yes! I put everything into stasis! at that point I only had 4 nodes, 3 of which went towards stasis, the 4th one went into the first locked door.

Well, went and attempted Hardcore for the first time. Got killed by the last exploder that shows up right before the tram in chapter 2. I knew I should have used stasis on it!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Got the game, will play it later today,have a question..

Should/Can I play with Plasma Cutter only? ( I mean with DS1 I think it was the best way to play the game in the first run, is it the same thing here?)

Roscoe

Neo Member
Totobeni said:

Should/Can I play with Plasma Cutter only? ( I mean with DS1 I think it was the best way to play the game in the first run, is it the same thing here?)

Certain parts of the game will be easier if you have an area of effect weapon like a force gun or contact beam. I would recommend messing around with some of the new weapons as well.

Replicant

Totobeni said:

Why would you want to? Until you upgrade it to its SPECIAL node, Plasma cutter in this version is quite neutered. Plus, there's no trophy for it.

Gunner Wright wants to play Isaac in the feature film (if they make one):

http://helldescent.com/2011/02/24/gunner-wright-wants-to-play-isaac-in-dead-space-film/

Gunner Wright, the newfound voice of Isaac Clarke in Dead Space 2 is extremely interested in playing Isaac once more, but this time in the live action film. Gunner says that he is more than ready. In our interview, he says this on the matter, “I feel like we already shot a film, one that you can play. As for DS2 live action, I already have the plasma cutter so lets roll camera…give the heart wrenching romantic tear jerker to someone else.”

When we asked post interview about his answer he said, “I’m more than interested….I’m ready to go. Absolutely”

This would be the first time the voice actor would play a character in the game first, and then the movie. Bringing in the same person for the job is perfect. Isaac Clarke’s face was slightly altered in Dead Space 2 to match Gunner’s and we can’t think of anyone else better for the job. We’re rooting for you Gunner! EA is willing to do the film, and they say only if it’s faithful; Gunner starring would make it so. Look for our full interview with Gunner on Friday!

To be completely honest... if they actually did that, I'd be for it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Roscoe said:
Certain parts of the game will be easier if you have an area of effect weapon like a force gun or contact beam. I would recommend messing around with some of the new weapons as well.

Fail, they should have balanced the game for the Plasma cutter only playthrough again

Replicant said:
Why would you want to? Until you upgrade it to its SPECIAL node, Plasma cutter in this version is quite neutered. Plus, there's no trophy for it.

It's how it meant to be played( at least DS1 was like that imo),my Plasma cutter run on DS1 was way better experience than playing with other weapons on other difficulties.

:(

Totobeni said:

It's totally doable. I suggest getting the rifle as well (because it's automatic and it helps a lot in later parts of the game where you have 1 hit kill enemies that come in hordes) but it's absolutely doable.

I went through normal pretty much all the way without any extra weapons, and just concentrated on plasma cutter / rig / stasis on upgrades and it was fine.

I actually find most of the weapons in DS2 useless. I had a fully upgraded ripper and a force gun and barely used it. It's not so much of not being useful, they are useful in certain parts but are not very balanced overall. The ripper is pretty much useful against almost all sorts of enemies :p

KAOz

Short bus special
Been slowly working on my "newish" Hardcore run. Saved at the end of Chapter 9, because I didn't want to push my luck anymore.

You KNOW a higher power is saying "Use the next save point! Save! Quit. Buy more smokes!" when you accidently run into TWO exploders, they explode on you, and you magically survive without hardly a scratch and you haven't saved since Chapter 4, or maybe it was 5.

So, thinking of using up the third save in the room with the Eyepoke machine.

Totobeni said:
Fail, they should have balanced the game for the Plasma cutter only playthrough again

It's how it meant to be played( at least DS1 was like that imo),my Plasma cutter run on DS1 was way better experience than playing with other weapons on other difficulties.

One of the reasons I prefer this to the first is that it makes far better use of Isaac's arsenal and encourages you to mix things up. What's the point of putting all sorts of weapons in there if you only need one? Of course you can still limit yourself to the Cutter if you want to, but all the weapons are great fun in this.

Salaadin

I did the entire game with the Cutter. Some parts were difficult but thats what stasis is for. The only major drawback is crowd control.

Anywho, I beat this last night. Fantastic game from start to finish. In a lot of ways, its better than the first but I still think DS1 was paced better and was more consistent. What a great series though.

Now I just need to hope and pray for a PC DLC release or else Im probably going to double dip on the PS3 version when its cheap.

tsigo

KAOz said:
So, thinking of using up the third save in the room with the Eyepoke machine.

It's actually in the room before you take the elevator down to the eyepoke machine. But take the elevator down, view the cutscene, go back up the elevator and save. That way if you die you save some time not viewing the cutscene again. But yes, that's also when I saved for my third. There's like 5 minutes left in the game at this point but it's handy to save here because all of the proceeding areas suck.

KAOz

Short bus special
tsigo said:
It's actually in the room before you take the elevator down to the eyepoke machine. But take the elevator down, view the cutscene, go back up the elevator and save. That way if you die you save some time not viewing the cutscene again. But yes, that's also when I saved for my third. There's like 5 minutes left in the game at this point but it's handy to save here because all of the proceeding areas suck.

Dude, thanks for that. For some reason I confused the Hacking-device with a Save Point in my head. That's good to know.

I am starting to feel like this might not be so impossible afterall. :p

Tonza

Bought this because the limited edition was cheap and started playing yesterday.

I've always been horrible at horror movies/games and all that (haven't watched a horror movie in eons) so I didn't really know should I play this or not. But this is pretty darn good... I have to play it in small sessions but I still kinda want to go back playing it.

I did love Alan Wake which was atmospheric in a less gory way. (and closest to a 'horror' game I've played after PS1 days)

Wonder if the PC version suits will make their way elsewhere.

I actually got on here to ask what the best suit is, I'm just now on my 2nd playthrough because I was really quite ill when the game came out. Over it now, and actually enjoying the game a lot more. Just going through and getting trophies/upgrading weapons and stuff.

Doubt I will ever attempt Hardcore but I want to get as much out of the game as I can regardless even if I get all but one trophy.

Salsa

So is it better than 1 ?

Never finished the first one, got really far near the end, save corrupted, and was to bummed to start again.

I also got it spoiled for me, so yeah. Might as well just pick up with this one.

Stallion Free said:
It's the same suits and weapons that are in the console DLC packs only we get them for free.

Oh he just made it sound like the PC version had a lot more suits or something.

SalsaShark said:
So is it better than 1 ?

IMO one of the biggest leaps in quality for a sequel.

Replicant

tsigo said:
The other 2 save points after that are quite irrelevant anyway. If you die, it won't take you long to restart.

In other news, Hardcore am fail. I always panic and either die on he first boss or in the gang bang in chapter 3. I did another playthrough on Normal to see if I can find a better spot to fight those Necros and I think I find it but it remains to be seen if the strategy I used on Normal will work on Hardcore.

Roscoe

Neo Member
Totobeni said:

I'm sorry but where has anyone in Visceral said "plasma cutter is the way it was supposed to be played"? Adding in a bunch of cool weapons and challenging you to try new tactics wouldn't be a fail imo.

highrider

Banned
Roscoe said:
I'm sorry but where has anyone in Visceral said "plasma cutter is the way it was supposed to be played"? Adding in a bunch of cool weapons and challenging you to try new tactics wouldn't be a fail imo.

i'm with you. like i'm really not going to use an electric exploding spear gun. never pass up a good thing..

Okay, I seriously can't watch the intro anymore. Is it okay if I make my first hardcore save right near the end of ch 3? I just can't force myself to replay all those previous sections only to get randomly killed by an exploder or puker or slasher in that big room right before at the end. Where would I need to make my second and third save if I did this?

brandonh83 said:
Oh he just made it sound like the PC version had a lot more suits or something.

IMO one of the biggest leaps in quality for a sequel.
no, but we get crap loads for free (and for free in game).

Replicant

Crewnh said:
Okay, I seriously can't watch the intro anymore. Is it okay if I make my first hardcore save right near the end of ch 3? I just can't force myself to replay all those previous sections only to get randomly killed by an exploder or puker or slasher in that big room right before at the end. Where would I need to make my second and third save if I did this?

Man, I've been wondering about this. I am not sure I can play that section without being dead at least once.

tsigo

After getting 100% in Dead Space 2 I went back to Dead Space for a bit. Holy shit, that game does not hold up compared to 2. I didn't initially appreciate how much better 2 looks, and how much better the controls are.

Replicant

I thought this is funny (and a bit cruel):

141skfc.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Crewnh said:

I made my first save there. My other saves were tripod elevator and the drill.

Top Bottom