• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Classic mode is very easy. Died once during the chase in Ch. 2, and that was it.

I'm not going to like like the instant death showpieces on hardcore, but everything else will be a cake walk.

Mike M

Nick N
What governs whether or not a character slips while climbing up the rappelling sections? On my single player run, I never encountered it at all, yet when playing as Carver, he was continually losing his grip when I wasn't near any gaps in the cliff face or anything. Is it just that Carver is supposed to suck at climbing or something? Is it something happens on different difficulty levels other than normal? 'Twas weird.

First off, I didn't know that Amazon delivers until 8:30 at night. Second, I just got my copy of The Art of Dead Space! It's fucking amazing. Fantastic quality book, great art and insights inside. If you are even remotely interested in the Dead Space universe, buy this book. Amazon has it for like 25 bucks, it is well worth it. I'll toss up a couple pics I took of it in a minute. But seriously, get it Markerheads.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
First off, I didn't know that Amazon delivers until 8:30 at night. Second, I just got my copy of The Art of Dead Space! It's fucking amazing. Fantastic quality book, great art and insights inside. If you are even remotely interested in the Dead Space universe, buy this book. Amazon has it for like 25 bucks, it is well worth it. I'll toss up a couple pics I took of it in a minute. But seriously, get it Markerheads.
I do want it but I wish there was more of a Dead Space Encyclopedia. I'm okay with art books but I still prefer something more like a reference guide to the game universe.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Three hardcore missions down, sixteen to go. I'm missing my maxed out stasis rivet gun so much. ;_;

I think my favorite part of the artbook was the write-up re Issac's suit, and why they designed it the way they did. Also the helmet animation sequence. So many steps. I love the helmet.

I do want it but I wish there was more of a Dead Space Encyclopedia. I'm okay with art books but I still prefer something more like a reference guide to the game universe.

Hopefully if the franchise continues and they can expand in interesting ways, we might get one. The Assassin's Creed Encyclopedia is interesting. But I think I ultimately prefer the artbook. The artwork stands on its own and the commentary bits in general are just incredibly fascinating a lot of the time.

Sorry for the crap quality:
20130213_214600l4uli.jpg

20130213_214624x3u5m.jpg

20130213_2146395fuj5.jpg

20130213_2146546gu6d.jpg

20130213_214758qouxr.jpg

It's the shittiest shot, but the early Isaac concepts are really interesting.

They move only a few frames per second, making them look quite creepy.

Also, holy shit at that one Serrano recording in Chapter 18. So awesome:

"I told my archaeology professor I wanted to study xeno archaeology. 'But there's nothing to study', he says. 'It's all dead space."

Probably one of the coolest moments in the whole series for me.

ibgh6K7e3xJk9n.gif

Agreed. I fucking loved that moment. One of the best for sure.

I'm still a little confused why people say this game has so little variety. It probably has the most out of all the DS games. I mean, you start off in a dark, futuristic city and go to that to derelict spaceships and being an astronaut to exploring a creepy, frozen world and then some. It also introduces a story that's more varied than it's predecessors.

Yeah, I loved the variety in DS3. It's awesome. Feels like a full-fledged adventure. I loved that horror adventure vibe. Definitely one of the best elements of the game. And I dug the story for sure.

Hey Monkey Pants/codecow, if you set another DS game on a planet, look into levels that take place in the ocean. Very Zero-G-esque, it'd look gorgeous, and totally doable. I mean, Titan has liquid seas (of methane, yes), so that'd be great to see.

Darkmakaimura

Has anyone given a good analysis between Dead Space 3 on the 360 and PS3? I was curious if they found any screen tearing or frame rate issues regarding the two consoles or if they both run as smooth as silk.

Hopefully if the franchise continues and they can expand in interesting ways, we might get one. The Assassin's Creed Encyclopedia is interesting. But I think I ultimately prefer the artbook. The artwork stands on its own and the commentary bits in general are just incredibly fascinating a lot of the time.

That does look good. May have to consider picking that up.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming

Will buy

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Yeah, the art book makes it easier to deal with the regret I feel for being too poor to buy the CE of the first game when it came out. My shirt should be in the mail tomorrow, I believe. So excited.

I'll be starting my first co-op run on Saturday. I think we're going to do Impossible, then breeze through Pure Survival afterwards. The dude I'm playing with really liked the ending and said my dedication to the plasma cutter might have been a big reason for my disappointment, so I'm going to try out some wackier combinations and see if it changes my opinion. I'll be all about the cutter for the first 10 chapters, though.

Carver is a fucking badass. I want a game dedicated to Carver and I love the guy more than I do Isaac. He just GETS IT DONE. Great game and I'm almost done beating it with my buddy.

CAN YOU SAY NUMBER FOUR? There has to be more to get done... Wasn't only one moon stopped? I want Dead Space Four. If there is more awesome lore to tell that is.

Um... did you play the other 2?

I did actually. While it has been a few years, I'm confident that the backtracking and level design wasn't nearly as bad as it is in this game. I'm also mildly amused by the implication that lousy game design in earlier iterations somehow makes it acceptable here.

njean777

Beat the game today and
I really dont like that they didnt just let Issac die. They should have just ended the story and let him die and Ellie go on.
Other then that I loved the game, I thought some of the fights were a bit excessive in enemy count, but other then that it was a great game and cannot wait to go through on hard now.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hey Monkey Pants/codecow, if you set another DS game on a planet, look into levels that take place in the ocean. Very Zero-G-esque, it'd look gorgeous, and totally doable. I mean, Titan has liquid seas (of methane, yes), so that'd be great to see.

That would definitely be a very cool and natural way to expand to a different environment.

Replicant

Dead Space is already equal parts Alien, Event Horizon, and The Thing, except the quality of writing which is closer to a movie like Creature.

*awkward cringe* ohnoyoudidnt......

Actually had to Google "Creature" to figure out what kind of a film it is. 2011 one or the 1985 one? OR the TV movie one?

LiK

Guys, gotta follow video game making 101. We did ice planet so the next step would obviously be lava/fire planet!

An asteroid belt with multiple planetoids seems like it would be a fertile for variety without sacrificing the vibe of the series. I also dig on the idea of an underwater segment mentioned in this thread (not sure if it could carry an entire game, but it would make a hell of a chapter). Have a long submerged marker in the midst of sunken ruins, throw in some bioluminescenct necromorphs based on deep sea animals, and go for heavy Lovecraft vibes. Somewhere along the lines of R'lyeh would be a perfect match for the franchise.

*awkward cringe* ohnoyoudidnt......

Actually had to Google "Creature" to figure out what kind of a film it is. 2011 one or the 1985 one? OR the TV movie one?
My bad, I was referring to the 1985 version with Klaus Kinski (aka the only redeeming part of the movie). If only DS3 had its own Kinski to give a weird enough reading of the script to make one the cardboard characters more entertaining.

nOoblet16

This game has the most archaic enemy encounters I've experienced in any game in recent years.
I'll mention the ways enemies show up in this game:

1) You walk, reach a point and suddenly there's a monster jumping out of one of the vents, doors that's closest to your character....accompanied by a loud music.

2) Your partner works on something and there's a neverending swarm of enemies.

3) Enemies spawn behind you and attack you.

4) Ticker enemies...hate them in every game.

And then there's the Uncharted esque "setpiece moments" where your character slips, rolls on for miles while and just so happens to do everything at the very last moment and emerges unscathed.... except they are way way overdone, one follows another.

Feindflug

Planets should be scrapped and just go with an open-world spaceship graveyard.

Metroid Prime like structure with emphasis on the feel of isolation and a bigger focus on exploration will be a dream come true..too bad such a concept in today's "must play with friends/cinematic" industry would've been scrapped in a minute.

It saddens me because Visceral is a really talented team and the potential for something truly amazing is there. :(

An asteroid belt with multiple planetoids seems like it would be a fertile for variety without sacrificing the vibe of the series. I also dig on the idea of an underwater segment mentioned in this thread (not sure if it could carry an entire game, but it would make a hell of a chapter). Have a long submerged marker in the midst of sunken ruins, throw in some bioluminescenct necromorphs based on deep sea animals, and go for heavy Lovecraft vibes. Somewhere along the lines of R'lyeh would be a perfect match for the franchise.

That would be fantastic.

Was this posted fellow GAFfers? I'm tired.

Happy Valentines's Day!

93SepTh.jpg

Hahahaha

Ricker

Chapter 12 spoiler...
Did any of you stomp Norton a few times after killing him lol....maybe I will regret it later but I just had to,he was such a dick
;)

Darkmakaimura

What if Dead Space 4 had you visit multiple planets and ships? One can dream.
Space opera Dead Space? I could deal with that but you know a lot of people would trash it for straying from its roots. Maybe they can space opera it up and keep the dark, gritty feel ala Chronicles of Riddick.

Muffdraul

Seems like a surprising number of chums are vouching for this, so is the game actually more similar to Dead Space 1 than DS2? I liked both games, but I felt the plot and atmosphere of number 1 were significantly better than the second's....

Sorry, I missed your post yesterday--
When I said DS3 "feels like classic Dead Space" I didn't mean to imply it was like DS1 in particular. Just that, contrary to the impression many got from previews, it's not a radical departure from the previous two games. It's not really any more of an "action shooter" than the others were.

Then I again, I didn't think DS2 was "significantly" different from DS1, so YMMV.

I have a simple question which I'm hoping someone can answer.

Why did the developers see fit to remove a perfectly functional save system and replace it with an auto save progress save system that doesn't trigger often enough and is incredibly unreliable.

I lost nearly two hours of progress earlier due to it not saving the two side missions I completed.

Grisby

Why did the developers see fit to remove a perfectly functional save system and replace it with an auto save progress save system that doesn't trigger often enough and is incredibly unreliable.

I lost nearly two hours of progress earlier due to it not saving the two side missions I completed.
Yeah, it sucks. I guess you know now but it never saves any optional progress missions. You need to get to the next story checkpoint.

Muffdraul

Pretty sure they said it was to facilitate co-op. I miss the good ol' save cameras too.

Replicant

Finally get to play my own copy instead of camping at a friend's house. So late impressions:

1. Ugh, the save system is GODAWFUL. If this is the result of MP, then get rid of MP next time and give me a clever AI partner (ala RE6 AI) if you insist on shoehorning a partner.

2. I hate these people whose name is not Isaac. What a bunch of ungrateful fuckers. I wish I could have seen them getting tentacles up their asses while Isaac is somewhere else, having easy time dispatching other enemies. And yes, that includes Carver, a candidate for 2013 worst new character. This was a category won by Connor of AC3 last year.

3. The enemies are getting ridiculously fast but Isaac don't have similar change in speed to match them. The thing is, it's not even scary anymore to be jumped on like that. It's just annoying and you rarely can do a strategic dismemberment anymore. Plasma cutter is kind of useless here without stasis whereas before, you can pretty much rely on it even when there's no stasis nearby.

Darkmakaimura

Sorry, know I'm asking again but just something I'm curious about since it didn't get answered. Is there any conclusive differences between the 360 and PS3 versions of the game, especially regards to screen tearing or frame rate? I didn't see anything on Digital Foundry about comparisons and they usually do that with high profile games like this.

Grisby

Sorry, know I'm asking again but just something I'm curious about since it didn't get answered. Is there any conclusive differences between the 360 and PS3 versions of the game, especially regards to screen tearing or frame rate? I didn't see anything on Digital Foundry about comparisons and they usually do that with high profile games like this.
Usually the DS games are pretty much the same on both platforms. Both are pretty polished and run at the same FPS and have little to no screen tearing. In fact I don't think I;ve ever seen any tearing with the series.

Edit- To further add on that the PS3 one doesn't even have a large mandatory install. I don't know if that's true for DS3 though. Oh, and on Xbox there's 2 discs with you needing to switch only once in the game.

Muffdraul

Usually the DS games are pretty much the same on both platforms. Both are pretty polished and run at the same FPS and have little to no screen tearing. In fact I don't think I;ve ever seen any tearing with the series.

Edit- To further add on that the PS3 one doesn't even have a large mandatory install. I don't know if that's true for DS3 though. Oh, and on Xbox there's 2 discs with you needing to switch only once in the game.

Yeah, DS1 and 2 were virtually identical on PS3 and 360 in terms of performance... probably safe to assume DS3 follows suit. I didn't like the way the PS3 versions kicked you out to the XMB when you accessed a saved point (no longer an issue in DS3) and I didn't like switching discs in the middle of DS2 on the 360. Other than that, they were almost exactly the same. I've only played the PS3 version of DS3. There was a least one occasion of some incredibly bad framerate for a few seconds, I forget when or what caused it.

Yeah, it sucks. I guess you know now but it never saves any optional progress missions. You need to get to the next story checkpoint.

It's rather annoying that I had to learn the hard way. Why the game doesn't save after 30 minute intervals, I'll never know. It makes perfect sense.

Pretty sure they said it was to facilitate co-op. I miss the good ol' save cameras too.

It's very frustrating. I don't mind them using a different save system for co-op, the mode demands an automatic save system after all, but they could have put more effort into constructing a more usable save system for single player.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Noticing some stuff on Classic that seem to be a lot of foreshadowing (ending spoilers),
such as the moon store, red moon vending machine(or something like that), after flying away from everyone and coming out of the slipstream the very first thing commented on is the moon. Pretty cool.

Mike M

Nick N
Noticing some stuff on Classic that seem to be a lot of foreshadowing (ending spoilers),
such as the moon store, red moon vending machine(or something like that), after flying away from everyone and coming out of the slipstream the very first thing commented on is the moon. Pretty cool.
I like how no one thought anything of the clearly oddly shaped moon because humanity routinely "planet cracks" celestial bodies by tearing out gigantic pieces out of them

Top Bottom