• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

def sim

DS3 really nerfed the Line Gun which was one of my fave weapons from the previous games. Even with upgrades they're not as fun.

That and the plasma cutter were my go to's. It's disappointing to see enemies phasing through the shots without problem.

Anyway, after some reading, I think my scavenger bots have been glitched out of the game. I hope there's a fix for this.

K' Dash

Is there some way to farm tungsten?

Later you will have more than you can spend, you can farm materials at certain spots in the game, you will randomly get tungsten there.

I recommend not to farm, but you can easily find a youtube video about it if you choose to.

LiK

That and the plasma cutter were my go to's. It's disappointing to see enemies phasing through the shots without problem.

Anyway, after some reading, I think my scavenger bots have been glitched out of the game. I hope there's a fix for this.

Yea, plasma cutter is kinda useless. The enemies all rush you at once so it's not fun either. Force gun and shottie ends up being the most useful in this game. I rarely used the Force gun in the previous games.

K' Dash

Yea, plasma cutter is kinda useless. The enemies all rush you at once so it's not fun either. Force gun and shottie ends up being the most useful in this game. I rarely used the Force gun in the previous games.

This game is all about crowd control, force gun with line gun upgraded to max damage with acid bath and damage support make everything trivial, I still carry my line gun even if I rarely use it, I feel weird without it.

Andrew.

Banned
This game is all about crowd control, force gun with line gun upgraded to max damage with acid bath and damage support make everything trivial, I still carry my line gun even if I rarely use it, I feel weird without it.

I stuck with the Evangelizer practically my whole way through. With flame glaze attached to the shotgun along with a couple rate of fire circuits, it's very very user friendly.

It did take me awhile to get used to avoid funneling enemies and sticking to a corner. This game is all about constantly moving when you're being attacked by swarms. Using methods that worked in the previous two games doesn't work at all here. The necros are just too damn quick and aggressive.

x-Lundz-x

One thing I was kinda disappointed with. Really my only complaint with the game besides the bad acting was there was way too many weapon combinations and they totally made the old stand by weapons useless. The Plasma Cutter which basically was my primary weapon in all my other Dead Space playthroughs was not even used in this game because of how ineffective it was. The Line Cutter with the MK-V Acid Bath attachment is good but still doesn't feel the same.

I basically ran through the game with a Chaingun / Rocket Launcher with the Acid Batch attachment and had a Sniper / Force Gun as backup. Basically the game was easy mode at that point.

LiK

I stuck with the Evangelizer practically my whole way through. With flame glaze attached to the shotgun along with a couple rate of fire circuits, it's very very user friendly.

It did take me awhile to get used to avoid funneling enemies and sticking to a corner. This game is all about constantly moving when you're being attacked by swarms. Using methods that worked in the previous two games doesn't work at all here. The necros are just too damn quick and aggressive.

Yea, is it me or are most of them super fast and aggressive compared to previous games? The new Twitcher was like nothing anymore.

Andrew.

Banned
Do you cause additional damage with a scope attached? Similar to the damage boost you would get in DS2 with the Seeker rifle zoomed in?

Yeah Lik they definitely are faster and more pissed. The twitchers at the endgame were fucking insane. They loved to just appear behind me as well. It got to the point where I would always stasis my direct frontal attacker and then turn around immediatley because there was a 90% chance another was magically behind me.

I recorded my entire play through and sort of made a video compilation with some parts I chose. It was a bit of a challenge since there was hours of game play to go through, so I just sort of had to skip through it and cut out some pieces I liked or noticed. Here's the video, contains spoilers, obviously. http://youtu.be/ZvI-NMKRuys

RPG

One thing I was kinda disappointed with. Really my only complaint with the game besides the bad acting was there was way too many weapon combinations and they totally made the old stand by weapons useless. The Plasma Cutter which basically was my primary weapon in all my other Dead Space playthroughs was not even used in this game because of how ineffective it was. The Line Cutter with the MK-V Acid Bath attachment is good but still doesn't feel the same.

I basically ran through the game with a Chaingun / Rocket Launcher with the Acid Batch attachment and had a Sniper / Force Gun as backup. Basically the game was easy mode at that point.

I felt the same way after my Standard playthrough, but now that I'm about 80% finished with my Classic mode run I've kinda changed my thoughts. Each enemy has a weapon (or two) that can easily tear through it and some weapons are completely ineffectual (and even agitate the enemies into harsher attacks it seems.)

I still greatly dislike the need to crowd control late in the game especially with the limited gun slots and I'm kinda dreading the mental anguish of a Hardcore run. Though I'll probably feel a lot better once I get access to the crafting menu again...

Mike M

Nick N
OMFG... I got cocky last night playing co-op, dropping inventory to make room for loot, and...

I ran out of ammo.

On chapter 18.

During *that* one fight.

Fortunately there was an item box that spawned a 5 clip stack, but holy shit, that was a tense bit of work to get to a bench and load up on clips from the safe. Really had to make every shot count, just like before.

x-Lundz-x

I felt the same way after my Standard playthrough, but now that I'm about 80% finished with my Classic mode run I've kinda changed my thoughts. Each enemy has a weapon (or two) that can easily tear through it and some weapons are completely ineffectual (and even agitate the enemies into harsher attacks it seems.)

I still greatly dislike the need to crowd control late in the game especially with the limited gun slots and I'm kinda dreading the mental anguish of a Hardcore run. Though I'll probably feel a lot better once I get access to the crafting menu again...

You have more balls than me, I simply could not stomach trying to beat the game without dying. I only died maybe 3 or 4 times but I know for a FACT I would die during some BS flying sequence or something lame like that.

Are only limited guns available in classic mode?

RPG

Only the classic DS1 guns/blueprints are available (and the DLC models based on those, i.e. Evangelizer.) There's no weapon part drops, so you can't change out anything or add attachments. You can only add circuits to them, but their usefulness seems to peak midgame.

x-Lundz-x

Only the classic DS1 guns/blueprints are available (and the DLC models based on those, i.e. Evangelizer.) There's no weapon part drops, so you can't change out anything or add attachments. You can only add circuits to them, but their usefulness seems to peak midgame.

Sweet, I might have to do that after my co-op run I am currently on. But not sure if I can handle 3 playthroughs back to back.

nel e nel

I dunno, I finally have my planet cracker maxed out with damage, rate of fire and clip mods, and it's taking out enemies in 2-3 shots now. I took out the rotator cuff and replaced it with an SMG with stasis coating and it's a great 1-2 punch rapid fire weapon now. I've been complimenting it with a Negotiator line gun/Evangalizer shotgun combo, but I've since replaced that with Hammond's Rocket Launcher maxed out with reload mods, explosion amplifier and splash guard. It's godly.

nel e nel

Yea, every Dead Space demo has been awful. DS3 is probably their best effort tho.

I was just ruminating on this last night as I've pretty much gotten through all of the content that was in the demo in the main game. I think they did a masterful job of giving us a vertical slice of all the new elements in this game (snow environment, mini-boss, human encounters, set piece) without spoiling the main game. I mean, the 30 minutes of content in the demo is actually spread out over ~3 hours of actual gameplay, so every time I thought I knew what was coming next, it would be a whole new area with stuff to kill/explore.

Conor 419

Banned
That's a mistake. Your loss. Demo did a miserable job of representing the game, which for the most part feels like classic Dead Space.

Seems like a surprising number of chums are vouching for this, so is the game actually more similar to Dead Space 1 than DS2? I liked both games, but I felt the plot and atmosphere of number 1 were significantly better than the second's....

I was just ruminating on this last night as I've pretty much gotten through all of the content that was in the demo in the main game. I think they did a masterful job of giving us a vertical slice of all the new elements in this game (snow environment, mini-boss, human encounters, set piece) without spoiling the main game. I mean, the 30 minutes of content in the demo is actually spread out over ~3 hours of actual gameplay, so every time I thought I knew what was coming next, it would be a whole new area with stuff to kill/explore.

Yeah, I agree, that caught me by surprise.

It was pretty cool.

LiK

Seems like a surprising number of chums are vouching for this, so is the game actually more similar to Dead Space 1 than DS2? I liked both games, but I felt the plot and atmosphere of number 1 were significantly better than the second's....

Half the game is like DS1 and the other half is like DS2. Felt like they made it for both audiences.

Andrew.

Banned

It's actually a really good combo of the two in my opinion, with the addition of the weapon customization, co op and crapload of pissed off Necros.

Lima

One thing that just struck my mind. Is the statue you see in chapter 1 the same one as the lightspeed boy statue that you had to shot in the second game for an achievement?

Muffdraul

Yea, every Dead Space demo has been awful. DS3 is probably their best effort tho.

This is the second time in my life I've heard someone infer that the DS2 demo sucked. I thought it was great, far better than the other two. Represented the game very well.

Finished the game-and I loved it. I don't get the negative press this game got in some places. There are few irritations regarding the save states, the dialogue is a little bland at times and the villian is just kind of stock bad guy-but this is classic Dead Space goodness. It took me a while to warm up to the crafting, but I loved it. As others said, I eventually had to put away my Plasma Cutter-as it just wasn't "cutting" it, and when I used my chain gun/shotgun with Acid Bath-holy shit. Pair that up with a Rifle/Force Gun with Stasis-and you're good to go.

This game looks AMAZING. Seriously-the art guys on this game should feel really proud-this is a game released on really old systems at this point and it's rare for a game in 2013 to wow me with it's graphics-well done to all involved.

I really wonder now about the future of the franchise-the Marker story is (or could be) effectively wrapped up-there could be another story in this universe I guess-or is Visceral looking to branch out and make something new, like Naughty Dog did with Last of Us.

I want to say that Isaac is really one of my favorite protagonists-I love the guy, and part of my love for the series is pushing through the games to see what's going to happen to him.

Riddy

Playing this on a PC at max settings and I'm really impressed with how well it performs. I played the demo on PS3 and it looked/felt terrible. Solid 60FPS and AA go a looooong way. I heard EA announced there wasn't going to be any advantage on PC but clearly they had a change of heart. I just wish it wasn't ORIGINS :/

Now if only I can figure what the flying **** I'm supposed to do at the benches...either I'm doing something very wrong or they're purposefully trying to make me do micro transactions (ie I want to increase the capacity if my plasma cutter, so I go to upgrade, click on one of the squares and add a "clip" tablet...now what??)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just started playing. Like it so far, but... what the hell! Why did the ruin kineses?! I can't pick up anything I want and toss it around? There are so many bodies and so many gas tanks and buckets and debris just TEASING me. That's how I like to play, but making it so you can only kineses blades from enemies and items with those blue magnet marks on them - why! boo.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
You have more balls than me, I simply could not stomach trying to beat the game without dying. I only died maybe 3 or 4 times but I know for a FACT I would die during some BS flying sequence or something lame like that.

Yeah... no way I could do hardcore mode.

I know I died... a lot, but I've been playing on hard and just sticking to the Planet Cracker and Repeater/Flamethrower combo with acid bath that I've been using. You get swarmed and those damn necros hit HARD, like, two or three hits with fully upgraded heath and you're in the red.

I'm near the final sequence,
Trying to get to the end after Danik turns off the machine, getting swarmed by guys and having to attack tentacles to move on all the while some storm is fast approaching you and kills you in one hit! Fuck.

Still loving the game. I might do a classic run, but I dunno.

Mike M

Nick N
Just started playing. Like it so far, but... what the hell! Why did the ruin kineses?! I can't pick up anything I want and toss it around? There are so many bodies and so many gas tanks and buckets and debris just TEASING me. That's how I like to play, but making it so you can only kineses blades from enemies and items with those blue magnet marks on them - why! boo.

What? I've been able to pick up random bodies and stuff without issue (Except in Co-Op, oddly enough)

Ricker

Fuck this demo Boss and now I have to fight him a second time?...one of the worst Boss ever...what's his fucking pattern anyway...?? I been shooting,statsing him etc etc for like 15 minutes now and he doesn't go down or run away...so annoying.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Fuck this demo Boss and now I have to fight him a second time?...one of the worst Boss ever...what's his fucking pattern anyway...?? I been shooting,statsing him etc etc for like 15 minutes now and he doesn't go down or run away...so annoying.

Are you talking about the boss you fight in that large area on the ice planet?

Carver will yell out that to use the harpoons. There is a generator on a cliff straight ahead from where you start. It should activate these guiding lasers, lure him into in and when the harpoons are shot, it will grab him, run around and hit the terminal to the left of the lasers.

Mike M

Nick N

He will charge you, open up his back and reveal three tentacles, turn towards you, tuck them away, and repeat. Keep him at a distance so that when he starts charging you have adequate time to get out of the way, then stasis him and shoot the tentacles.

Once the back tentacles are gone, he will reveal three from his mouth, and charge again. Stasis him when the mouth tentacles come out and take them out. Think it takes three rounds of this shit to run him off.

You fight him a third time...

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Playing this on a PC at max settings and I'm really impressed with how well it performs. I played the demo on PS3 and it looked/felt terrible. Solid 60FPS and AA go a looooong way. I heard EA announced there wasn't going to be any advantage on PC but clearly they had a change of heart. I just wish it wasn't ORIGINS :/

Now if only I can figure what the flying **** I'm supposed to do at the benches...either I'm doing something very wrong or they're purposefully trying to make me do micro transactions (ie I want to increase the capacity if my plasma cutter, so I go to upgrade, click on one of the squares and add a "clip" tablet...now what??)

Select the circuits you have available (should be clip if you want to increase capacity) - if you don't have any circuits you'll have to make some (top option under each category of circuit) using resources your bot has collected. Circuits don't take a lot of resources so unless you haven't been sending out your bots, I doubt you'll have to spend any real money (unless you want to of course).

I've done some testing and can't really tell a difference between acid, fire or electrical attachments for damage. I just notice the cosmetic changes but don't really see damage difference between them. Is one actually better than the other?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I've done some testing and can't really tell a difference between acid, fire or electrical attachments for damage. I just notice the cosmetic changes but don't really see damage difference between them. Is one actually better than the other?

electric slows them down, slightly
acid causes slight damage over time
fire just causes slight damage

I've found these attachments work best with weapons with a high rate of fire since the effect stacks. If you try stasis with a rapid fire weapon you can slow enemies down tremendously.

electric slows them down, slightly
acid causes slight damage over time
fire just causes slight damage

I've found these attachments work best with weapons with a high rate of fire since the effect stacks. If you try stasis with a rapid fire weapon you can slow enemies down tremendously.
Thanks, I've mostly been using them with the plasma cutter and line gun, I'll try them on faster weapons.

Carnby

Visceral is great at creating checkpoints that require a player to replay 2 minutes of set up before they can start the fight that killed them. They did it in every Dead Space and Dante's Inferno. And its f'n annoying. It's not fun to go through the motions of a long set up just to try again. No I don't want to walk up a mountain and lower a ladder and climb through a hole just to die again. I don't want to do this over and over and over again and again..

nel e nel

Ahh, playing co op! really? is that a single player only? so lame.

No it's single player too. They've really cut down on the amount of 'free' objects in the game. In the first chapter when you're still escaping from the lunar colony, I noticed that I couldn't stomp or kinesis a bunch of the EarthGov bodies I was coming across.

The level design in this game is beyond hopeless. So many corridors, so many doors and so many times you have to backtrack through them. This is a 7 hour game that is converted into a 15 hour game by making the players play virtually every level backwards and forwards. Total bullshit.

I'm really starting to wonder whether EA mandates that games without multiplayer need to be at least xx hours long and that's why this happened.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
The level design in this game is beyond hopeless. So many corridors, so many doors and so many times you have to backtrack through them. This is a 7 hour game that is converted into a 15 hour game by making the players play virtually every level backwards and forwards. Total bullshit.

I'm really starting to wonder whether EA mandates that games without multiplayer need to be at least xx hours long and that's why this happened.

Um... did you play the other 2?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just beat it, and my initial feelings are this is the best game in the series. It has its issues(the earlier love triangle stuff felt incredibly forced), but it was one hell of a ride. I never liked the endgame of the previous games, and while I think they start spamming enemies too much again the weapon crafting handles it a lot better.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
One thing that just struck my mind. Is the statue you see in chapter 1 the same one as the lightspeed boy statue that you had to shot in the second game for an achievement?

Looked like it to me, although I never verified it. I dumped a full clip into him, thinking there might be another achievement.

Ricker

Are you talking about the boss you fight in that large area on the ice planet?

Carver will yell out that to use the harpoons. There is a generator on a cliff straight ahead from where you start. It should activate these guiding lasers, lure him into in and when the harpoons are shot, it will grab him, run around and hit the terminal to the left of the lasers.

No,the one that was in the demo...finally got him,man his pattern is so messed up with the camera angles when he jumps at you and the landing on your back animation...

He will charge you, open up his back and reveal three tentacles, turn towards you, tuck them away, and repeat. Keep him at a distance so that when he starts charging you have adequate time to get out of the way, then stasis him and shoot the tentacles.

Once the back tentacles are gone, he will reveal three from his mouth, and charge again. Stasis him when the mouth tentacles come out and take them out. Think it takes three rounds of this shit to run him off.

You fight him a third time...

Thanks ,that helped a bit hehe...

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
No,the one that was in the demo...finally got him,man his pattern is so messed up with the camera angles when he jumps at you and the landing on your back animation...

Thanks ,that helped a bit hehe...

Oh, whoops, then I think my advice is for the next fight against him, haha.

RedSwirl

I just started to notice the similarities between DS3 and Vagrant Story (I haven't beaten either game though).

Both games:
-Take place among ruins filled with zombies.
-Feature weapon crafting as a central component.
-Have storylines featuring a militant religious force as one of the factions.

Ran into a weird bug during (what I assume is) the last rock-climbing section - Isaac's cable got stuck on a piece of the environment towards the top of the cliff and I couldn't move any further up, I had to restart the checkpoint. On the second attempt the bit of geometry the cable got caught on originally wasn't even there.

Top Bottom