• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Carnby

After crafting certain weapons, I'm finding that I can not use my lower gun. Even though it shows my ammo, I pull the trigger and nothing happens. Is this normal?

Played the demo for five minutes and gave up on the series.

What the fuck is this? Give it a chance.

To be fair the demo isn't even in the full game 'as is', it plays out very differently and has far more plot progression and atmosphere.

I've just beaten the game and I really loved it, aside from chapter
15-19
the game just turned into a cheap shootbang at that point. Up to chapter 15 the game was mostly excellent though.

I'd say it has the highest highs and lowest lows of the series. I didn't like the new crafting and purchasing system over the old one. I think replaying this game on new game +, in classic mode, will be amazing.

Hm, maybe I need to experiment with stasis coating more. But I love ammo box so much : (

It's awesome but once I crafted a gun ideally suited to stasis attachment (high rate of fire) I pretty much became unstoppable (admittedly on normal difficulty). Even the biggest necro's could do nothing as I froze them in place with stasis bullets and then just pumped them full of more until they were dead. Which was about five seconds.

From time to time I went back to my more traditional guns because Dead Space isn't really Dead Space for me unless the necros keep coming whilst I'm running dangerously low on ammo, wondering if I'll be able to nail the kill-shot.

Andrew.

Banned
Really love how the enemies move in Retro Mode. Shame I will never attempt Hardcore.

Classic mode sounds fuck awesome though. Definitely warrants another playthrough. I havent even tried the Contact Beam or Force Gun yet.

nel e nel

Welp, up to chapter 10, and quite frankly, I'm enjoying the change of pace with human enemies. I'm not saying they should be a significant portion of any DS game, but it is nice to break up the flow a bit.

Also, I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but don't bother with any other resource pack besides the basic one from the DLC store. Why? The next level resource pack costs 3x as many ration seals but only gives you 2x the resources, and the top tier pack costs 6x as many ration seals and only gives you 4x the resources.

I assume the planet cracker dismantle glitch has been talked about? Kinda peeved that my rotator cuff disappears when I try to re-assemble that. :/

Dave1988

Welp, up to chapter 10, and quite frankly, I'm enjoying the change of pace with human enemies. I'm not saying they should be a significant portion of any DS game, but it is nice to break up the flow a bit.

Also, I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but don't bother with any other resource pack besides the basic one from the DLC store. Why? The next level resource pack costs 3x as many ration seals but only gives you 2x the resources, and the top tier pack costs 6x as many ration seals and only gives you 4x the resources.

I assume the planet cracker dismantle glitch has been talked about? Kinda peeved that my rotator cuff disappears when I try to re-assemble that. :/

You're kinda missing the point of the higher costing packs. They're there to give you Mk V parts. The additional resources are just a bonus.

Andrew.

Banned
How do they move exactly?

They move only a few frames per second, making them look quite creepy.

Also, holy shit at that one Serrano recording in Chapter 18. So awesome:

"I told my archaeology professor I wanted to study xeno archaeology. 'But there's nothing to study', he says. 'It's all dead space."

Probably one of the coolest moments in the whole series for me.

codecow

I read that you can just exploit the saves in hardcore, if that's true then it's pretty disappointing.

The other option would be online only, and even then you could power/alt-f4 exploit since we're not running game instances on external servers.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm still a little confused why people say this game has so little variety. It probably has the most out of all the DS games. I mean, you start off in a dark, futuristic city and go to that to derelict spaceships and being an astronaut to exploring a creepy, frozen world and then some. It also introduces a story that's more varied than it's predecessors.

Anyways, got my issue of Game Informer today and am glad they gave this the 9.75 score that they did. Again, I hope this means there are more games planned for the series and that rumor about selling 5 million copies is bogus.

BTW, I wonder whatever happened to all those rumored DS games like the Planet Extractor and flight simulator ones?

Mike M

Nick N
I'm still a little confused why people say this game has so little variety. It probably has the most out of all the DS games. I mean, you start off in a dark, futuristic city and go to that to derelict spaceships and being an astronaut to exploring a creepy, frozen world and then some. It also introduces a story that's more varied than it's predecessors.

Anyways, got my issue of Game Informer today and am glad they gave this the 9.75 score that they did. Again, I hope this means there are more games planned for the series and that rumor about selling 5 million copies is bogus.

BTW, I wonder whatever happened to all those rumored DS games like the Planet Extractor and flight simulator ones?

Well, there doesn't seem to be much variety in enemies, though this may just be a perception thing. There are only what, two guardians in the game? Do they even shoot pods at you? The rest of the time it seems like you're just getting assloads of Feeders, Wasters, and Slashers thrown at you, with an occasional Leaper or Puker or other miscellaneous necromorphs. The raw number of enemy varieties may be equal, but the encounter rate doesn't feel like it. And Wasters are kinda lame. Divider x Lurker? Okay, kinda cool. But talking and coming at you with axes? Ehhhhh... Significant deviation from past sensibilities.

Also, there's no variety to scares. Nothing but jump scares and opening the floodgates on enemies when you press a button to complete an objective.

Andrew.

Banned
What are the fodder axes? Im guessing theyre the axes those yellow eyed zombie necros carry but how do you snag one and use it as a weapon? I tried using kinesis, but maybe my aim was off..

JJD

I read that you can just exploit the saves in hardcore, if that's true then it's pretty disappointing.

Why are you annoyed or disappointed with what other people do with their game?

Just play it the way you like it. Play it like it's meant to be played if you want to.

The infinite ammo exploit only annoyed me because I was stuck with it but didn't want to play like that. I couldn't care less about what people do with it.

Andrew.

Banned
Finished finally! Really liked the ending and thought it was pretty fitting. I'm going back to replay the previous two, before I return for new game+

And then after the credits roll.....=D

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Just finished as well. I enjoyed the game throughout. I wound up missing quite a bit of artifacts and some side missions. Which is a plus cause there will be some new content to see in my next play through.
I have no idea what difficulty to play on now though. Not ready for impossible that's for sure.

Andrew.

Banned
I think Ill do an artifact, part, and overall collectible cleanup, fuck around making different guns on normal ng+, and then knock out co op and classic. That'll be enough for now.

Replicant

Why are you annoyed or disappointed with what other people do with their game?

Because then how'd he brag about it?

Batman said:
q2vQLOx.png

What the hell is up with the save system? Playing on Xbox and this is the second time I've lost major play time. 4 hours lost. Game says its saving and then I manually save but it takes me back to the start of the objective like I did nothing. So frustrating.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
What the hell is up with the save system? Playing on Xbox and this is the second time I've lost major play time. 4 hours lost. Game says its saving and then I manually save but it takes me back to the start of the objective like I did nothing. So frustrating.

That's crazy that you lost 4 hours man. Usually I hit a checkpoint every 20 minutes. Heck a side mission usually takes only 15 minutes to half an hour and you get checkpoints after each of those.
Did you just run in circles or something?

LiK

there's two types of saving icons that i noticed.

"Inventory saving"

"Progress saving"

you'll need to pay attention to that. :|

RoKKeR

Started playing as Carver today with my co-op partner. Has anybody else noticed he has different animations than Isaac? I think that's a nice touch. It's cool to play from his perspective.

That's crazy that you lost 4 hours man. Usually I hit a checkpoint every 20 minutes. Heck a side mission usually takes only 15 minutes to half an hour and you get checkpoints after each of those.
Did you just run in circles or something?

No, it's always after a side mission though. I think it was glitching out because I got to chapter 12 and did all the stuff, but the game never indicated the start if chapter 12 the first time. Took me back to the start of the side mission when I loaded it up, and worked fine after that. Tonight played through most of chapter 14, waited for the check point to come up and waited and saved after that. Loaded it up again and was at the start of the chapter. Argh.

there's two types of saving icons that i noticed.

"Inventory saving"

"Progress saving"

you'll need to pay attention to that. :|

I wait until it says progress saving.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
No, it's always after a side mission though. I think it was glitching out because I got to chapter 12 and did all the stuff, but the game never indicated the start if chapter 12 the first time. Took me back to the start of the side mission when I loaded it up, and worked fine after that. Tonight played through most of chapter 14, waited for the check point to come up and waited and saved after that. Loaded it up again and was at the start of the chapter. Argh.

I wait until it says progress saving.

Dang man. That sucks. I never had any issues like that. Hopefully it smooths out for you.

Andrew.

Banned
Is there some way to farm tungsten?

Well, you could always just keep dumping scavenger bots around and use them to gather up goodies, specifically ration seals. Then use the ration seals to purchase the Ultra or Epic pack through the Bench. It provides a good amount of resources.

Andrew.

Banned
Started fiddling around with DS1 and 2 last night and yeah, the hit detection on the necros is dramastically better along with the guns sounding like they have a greater sense of weight and power. Doesnt stop me from loving 3 though.

Well, you could always just keep dumping scavenger bots around and use them to gather up goodies, specifically ration seals. Then use the ration seals to purchase the Ultra or Epic pack through the Bench. It provides a good amount of resources.

Oh yeah... that thing. Haven't used one since the first time I picked it up. Well shit.

LiK

Started fiddling around with DS1 and 2 last night and yeah, the hit detection on the necros is dramastically better along with the guns sounding like they have a greater sense of weight and power. Doesnt stop me from loving 3 though.

DS3 really nerfed the Line Gun which was one of my fave weapons from the previous games. Even with upgrades they're not as fun.

Top Bottom