• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead State Kickstarter project by DoubleBear Productions [Ended, $332K funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
The stretch goals sound great (cats!), though a little steep, at least at this time. Considering most KS get like a 30% bonus on their last day, you could probably make it if given a little more time in the spotlight, but I wish some of the goals didn't feel so far away.

You guys should probably squeeze the most money out of people this week, since the Steam summer sale is likely to start next week and we'll all be broke by then :p

Derrick01

Banned
I'm hoping it can at least get to the $300k mark because I want to see how the City will be. For the type of game they're building exploring a city could be immense fun.

I'd prefer it to max out the bonuses too because I'd like an expansion. I've never wanted to be filthy rich more than now so I could just write a huge check. Here's hoping for a crazy spike in funding soon.

Dennis

Banned
I'm hoping it can at least get to the $300k mark because I want to see how the City will be. For the type of game they're building exploring a city could be immense fun.

I'd prefer it to max out the bonuses too because I'd like an expansion. I've never wanted to be filthy rich more than now so I could just write a huge check. Here's hoping for a crazy spike in funding soon.

Absolutely.

I really doubt that will happen but some of those stretch goals are mouth-watering.

Why can't a game like this have the budget of something like Skyrim.

Why?!!

wondermega

Absolutely.

I really doubt that will happen but some of those stretch goals are mouth-watering.

Why?!!

it's great news that it got funded (and then some). Of course it would be crazy to get skyrim-level budgeting, but of course such a thing is unheard of for a tiny developer. However, if this game does well you can be sure that whatever they decide to develop next will be easier to get a bigger budget for!

Absolutely.

Why?!!

You want it to have a Skyrim Budget, then pledge. I mean, that's really all there is to it. That's the whole point of Kickstarter. I see this ending in the $300, range, however; which is still amazing.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
congrats to Mitsoda and the team. I'll chip in with some money. Haven't decided on reward yet.

It'd be great if some examples of writing/branching dialogue were posted. I still replay Bloodlines almost every year because of characters and atmosphere.

zkylon

zkylewd
congrats to Mitsoda and the team. I'll chip in with some money. Haven't decided on reward yet.

It'd be great if some examples of writing/branching dialogue were posted. I still replay Bloodlines almost every year because of characters and atmosphere.
I'd pay big bucks towards a stretch goal that enables me to play Dead State as a Malkavian :D

Slair

I don't know why DayZ is in thread title. This is a single-player game, whereas DayZ is a multiplayer, unscripted game.

DayZ should be in this thread title and Dead State should be in the DayZ thread title imo, double the love for these games.

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't know why DayZ is in thread title. This is a single-player game, whereas DayZ is a multiplayer, unscripted game.

From the Day Z wiki and from the Dead State Kickstarter about the main enemies, humans / zombies, and the focus on gathering materials and searching environments:
Day Z said:
It depicts the player as a survivor, who is trying to survive among other survivors, who, considering the circumstances, have the tendency to act hostile towards the player, and zombies, who attack the player, in the event he or she is spotted by one.
Dead State said:
Although the zombies lurk as an ever present threat, the biggest obstacle to the player may just be other humans with the same goal: survival at any cost.

Day Z said:
Through-out the game, the player must scavenge for resources, like weapons, ammunition and medication. Unlike other zombie games, he or she also needs food and drinks to fill the hunger the player experiences, as being on the move through the huge environment that is Chernarus, depletion of energy is imminent.
Dead State said:
As society is beginning to fall apart, the player must organize allies, fortify a shelter, scout for food and supplies, and make uncertain alliances, attempting to hold together a group as humanity teeters on the brink of extinction.

That's what I gather from a quick comparison of a few things that might be similar. I imagine the OP put it there to attract people interested in the survival aspects of the game, emphasizing they aren't just mindless zombie killing games.

Is it that far fetched to think if Day Z were made to be a single-player, turn-based RPG, it might end up not too different from Dead State? Or maybe it wouldn't be that close, I don't know.

Llyranor

Alright, sounds like reasonable and achievable goals, let's push for 360k!

Upping pledge to 150. Might be convinced to go for 250 if we need a final push towards the end.

The description makes it sound like free shipping to Canada, correct?

Kicktraq currently has it trending to 266k.

The 300k Stretch Goal (the city level/hub) is tempting, but it will really need to stretch to get there. It would be a real downer if it doesn't. Hopefully, there's a healthy dose of last minute backers.

zkylon

zkylewd
That site is probably not taking into account the spikes of the last days, plus updates and reward changes, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Would be pretty great if they doubled it, city or not...

nooo we need it to hit 300 at least. I want that City :(

I'd want at least 350k to 400k, just to go above and beyond fixed costs such as fees and rewards. It's always nice when a project has extra, but it hardly ever happens.

I honestly think this has more potential than DFA or Wasteland 2.

The video alone collides my large hard-on.

That site is probably not taking into account the spikes of the last days, plus updates and reward changes, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah, it's not 100%, but it is pretty accurate of the trending curve of the current moment.

Fjordson

Dropped $50. Game sounds really cool.

Man...the three Kickstarter RPG's I've put money into (Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, and now this) are like my most anticipated games right now.

Corto

Yay. I'll be increasing my pledge nearer the final stretch. Congratulations to everyone involved in creating this game and to us that get to play this game in the end.

bmitsoda

Dead State Dev
Thanks for the support everyone! We're really happy the stretch goals seem to be going over well - we've seen a lot of new backers and adjustments to higher tiers over the last two days.

We're hitting the press hard and there should be a lot of new articles up this week. We've made some bigger game sites since we hit our goal and that has really helped. We'll have some press links in our next update and we'll show off some new bits from the game this week, as well as some writing.

Mafro

Thanks for the support everyone! We're really happy the stretch goals seem to be going over well - we've seen a lot of new backers and adjustments to higher tiers over the last two days.

We're hitting the press hard and their should be a lot of new articles up this week. We've made some bigger game sites since we hit our goal and that has really helped. We'll have some press links in our next update and we'll show off some new bits from the game this week, as well as some writing.
Great to see it has done so well. I've been following this game since it appeared on Rock, Paper, Shotgun a few years back. Can't wait.

We're hitting the press hard and their should be a lot of new articles up this week. We've made some bigger game sites since we hit our goal and that has really helped. We'll have some press links in our next update and we'll show off some new bits from the game this week, as well as some writing.
Some of the stretch goals had me salivating. If we don't quite get there, I would love to see a follow up expansion pack if the release goes well for you guys.

bmitsoda

Dead State Dev
Alright, sounds like reasonable and achievable goals, let's push for 360k!

Upping pledge to 150. Might be convinced to go for 250 if we need a final push towards the end.

The description makes it sound like free shipping to Canada, correct?

Canadians don't need to add extra shipping. Outside of the US and Canada, additional shipping costs need to be added.

Also, for folks tracking the game, we had a really good day for funding yesterday.

Grayman

I was originally hesitant about the kickstarter because of the long development time already started but have turned around and pledged.

great stretch goals, best of luck with them!

bengraven

Damn, I want all the options for this!

Just like that Zombie Playground shooter - I want everything in the high ranked tiers and I hope to god something happens and we get it.

New areas!

Char. customization options!

More animation/zombie varieties!

The city - high level content!

A new ally!

Animals!

Dog sidekick!

I wish I could donate 10,000 for this.

Damn, I want all the options for this!

Just like that Zombie Playground shooter - I want everything in the high ranked tiers and I hope to god something happens and we get it.

New areas!

Char. customization options!

More animation/zombie varieties!

The city - high level content!

A new ally!

Animals!

Dog sidekick!

I wish I could donate 10,000 for this.

I made the Zombie Playground thread, and this looks 100x better than Playground.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If this was actually like DayZ I might have been interested...

Grayman

Games take time, dude.

Not to be rude to Brian for stopping by but the game was worked on years before kickstarter and did not get done. I was looking at what had ever happened to dead state a few weeks before the kickstarter. From the outside it looks like the kickstarter is to get the project out of development hell, hence my original concerns with pledging.

Derrick01

Banned
Not to be rude to Brian for stopping by but the game was worked on years before kickstarter and did not get done. I was looking at what had ever happened to dead state a few weeks before the kickstarter. From the outside it looks like the kickstarter is to get the project out of development hell, hence my original concerns with pledging.

From what I understand most of the other team was working at other jobs and working on this in their spare time, and they just didn't have enough funding or time to coordinate everyone's schedules together. Part of this kickstarter was to allow them to commit full time and start proper development. I never got the impression development was mishandled or mismanaged, they just didn't have the resources.

From what I understand most of the other team was working at other jobs and working on this in their spare time, and they just didn't have enough funding or time to coordinate everyone's schedules together. Part of this kickstarter was to allow them to commit full time and start proper development. I never got the impression development was mishandled or mismanaged, they just didn't have the resources.

Exactly.

Start up companies 99% of the time don't exactly have the luxury/reality of working on their project 24/7.

It's really interesting, going back and looking at DFA versus the new guys on KickTraq. Compared to what people are giving now, DFA got nothing.

Kem0sabe

This and project Zomboid are among the game i most expect to love the shit out of. :)

Who would have thought that Zombie RPG`s would be a thing?

Decado

It's interesting that, unlike the other big RPG kickstarters, this one hasn't received any "big" pledges of $2k or more.

Derrick01

Banned
Is this being made by the same people who made Day-Z? I'm confused.. if not I really don't want to donate.

No. This is a pure late 90s style single player PC wrpg, and IMO better than anything Day Z could be because that is multiplayer only. It'll be just as hardcore minus the perma death and you'll have to manage even more than in Day Z because you're going to be in a small community full of people that have their own behaviors and needs.

In fact the devs have said they don't even consider it a zombie game. They're there when you go out to scavenge for supplies but the core of the game is managing and dealing with humans to survive. Also some of these people have serious past wrpg experience like Vampire: Bloodlines. This game will be no joke for sure.

zkylon

zkylewd
The Forbes interview is pretty good and has some cool pics I haven't seen before (maybe I missed them on the KS trailer) and give a better sense of how the game looks:

DS31.jpg

screen.jpg

The stat system seems to be pretty similar to Fallout's, and I think that's great, since Fallout's simply one of the best character systems of all times. I loved reading they're taking Suikoden as an inspiration source and that you can tweak your character background as well. I hope DoubleBear makes a lot more than 300k, Dead State is probably just as ambitious as Wasteland 2 and having 1/10th of the money is such a pity...

Linky: http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2012/06/26/dead-state-interview-zombie-brian-mitsoda/

edit: I bumped up my pledge to 50$ :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom