• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead State Kickstarter project by DoubleBear Productions [Ended, $332K funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

No. This is a pure late 90s style single player PC wrpg, and IMO better than anything Day Z could be because that is multiplayer only. It'll be just as hardcore minus the perma death and you'll have to manage even more than in Day Z because you're going to be in a small community full of people that have their own behaviors and needs.

In fact the devs have said they don't even consider it a zombie game. They're there when you go out to scavenge for supplies but the core of the game is managing and dealing with humans to survive. Also some of these people have serious past wrpg experience like Vampire: Bloodlines. This game will be no joke for sure.

I wouldn't go that far. I think there's something to be said about the power of player interaction (even if I do vastly prefer Dead State).

Durante

The Forbes article (+ interview) is really good. Everyone go read it.

Definitely, we were inspired by Jagged Alliance and X-Com, and also Fallout, which was pretty much the game that directly got me into the industry – I applied to Interplay directly after playing it. Our allies can die, same as the characters in any of those games.

I’d say we were also mildly influenced by the base-building in the old PlayStation game Suikoden, and some of the turn-based mechanics/balance of Final Fantasy Tactics. As far as the dialogue goes, I wanted to make sure that the characters were as strong as the dialogue that people associate me with for Bloodlines, but with a deeper morale and political aspect to the management of the many personalities in the shelter.
How anyone could read this and not fund the game is beyond my ability to fathom.

zkylon

zkylewd
The Forbes article (+ interview) is really good. Everyone go read it.

How anyone could read this and not fund the game is beyond my ability to fathom.
Yes, that bit resold the game for me. Dead State is such a gathering of great ideas that it's a shame it doesn't get a truckload of money. Then again, it's safely funded, so I guess we should be more cheerful. ARGH Conflicting Emotions!

Yes, that bit resold the game for me. Dead State is such a gathering of great ideas that it's a shame it doesn't get a truckload of money. Then again, it's safely funded, so I guess we should be more cheerful. ARGH Conflicting Emotions!

Safely funded, my buttocks. GIVE ME CITY! GIVE ME MOAR!

Detox

I don't have much experience with other kickstarters but I thought some of the other high-profile ones mentioned a steam copy (not 100% sure). Knowing how I play games I would forget I ever owned this if they are just going to send out an email with a link to the DRM free version. Having it on Steam will mean one day I will see it in my library and actually play it.

I don't have much experience with other kickstarters but I thought some of the other high-profile ones mentioned a steam copy (not 100% sure).

These games don't even exist in a marketable form yet. None of them can even apply for Steam at this point.

The most that we do know is that Origin is accepting Gamestarters (for a pretty good deal, too; for the first few months, no fees). Wasteland 2 was already accepted to Origin, as well as taking pre-orders from the official WL2 site.

Knowing how I play games I would forget I ever owned this if they are just going to send out an email with a link to the DRM free version. Having it on Steam will mean one day I will see it in my library and actually play it.

Not to be an ass, but this isn't the developer's problem.

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't have much experience with other kickstarters but I thought some of the other high-profile ones mentioned a steam copy (not 100% sure). Knowing how I play games I would forget I ever owned this if they are just going to send out an email with a link to the DRM free version. Having it on Steam will mean one day I will see it in my library and actually play it.

Add a non-steam shortcut to it today in steam. Problem solved. Even though the shortcut doesn't work until it's released and you update it, you won't forget about it as it will be in your steam list.

zkylon

zkylewd
I can relate, but really, if you do what Minsc say, you won't forget about the game existing and if you back them now you get the game at half-price and support indie devs when it's needed.

Detox

Add a non-steam shortcut to it today in steam. Problem solved. Even though the shortcut doesn't work until it's released and you update it, you won't forget about it as it will be in your steam list.

Can't believe I didn't think of that, thanks and backed.

Derrick01

Banned
Glad to hear the game is 50+ hours long too (from the Forbes interview). That's great news and I'll gladly throw down another $30 for this and for when the game comes out, if only to give it to friends and spread the message.

Varna

Pledged.

I am surprised this isn't getting more attention. Unlike many of the other big kickstarter projects they already have a ton of stuff they can show their backers.

Soule

I loved the writing in VTMB so I've been interested in this for a while, it's nice to see something a bit more fleshed out after tidbits over however long it's been since this was first revealed. Get paid soon and will certainly back this project, any idea when this is looking to come out?

Trigger

I loved the writing in VTMB so I've been interested in this for a while, it's nice to see something a bit more fleshed out after tidbits over however long it's been since this was first revealed. Get paid soon and will certainly back this project, any idea when this is looking to come out?

December 2013. I think that's what on the kickstarter page.

bmitsoda

Dead State Dev
I assume most of what they've said is their target. I wonder if we'll ever get a design document?

We've laid out most of the systems (straight out of our documents sometimes) on our developer updates. There's a topic in the forum that collects them by week. Also, there's a few people on the forums that know where to point you if you're looking for specific information.

Trigger

We've laid out most of the systems (straight out of our documents sometimes) on our developer updates. There's a topic in the forum that collects them by week. Also, there's a few people on the forums that know where to point you if you're looking for specific information.

Thanks. I'll dig into some of them to come up with questions to pester you with. :p

epmode

I upped my pledge because I still feel bad about buying Bloodlines well after Troika died. I'd love to see this hit 300k for the city. But I'll be happy just to have a mall tileset.

Trigger

I'm ok with that being saved for later. If the game takes off and becomes more popular on release then Doublebear can take the city idea and flesh it out for a real expansion of the base game.

I'm sure it'll pass that one before it's over. I'm more worried about the city and the expansion.

I'm annoyed the "expansion" (it's really just weapons and a few new areas it sounds like) is for backers only. This didn't work at all for Shadowrun, and as much as I don't really give a fuck about if stuff is backer-only or not (within reason), it could hurt more than help.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm annoyed the "expansion" (it's really just weapons and a few new areas it sounds like) is for backers only. This didn't work at all for Shadowrun, and as much as I don't really give a fuck about if stuff is backer-only or not (within reason), it could hurt more than help.

Well, it's confusing at best, but it doesn't say anything about being exclusive to backers in the expanded description in Update #6:

$360k – A mini-expansion that fills in back story for a major character, adds military-grade weapons, and adds zones of control – free for Kickstarter patrons.
This expansion will add significant gameplay options and new challenges and variety in the gameplay. The expansion will be the first content created to expand the core game.
This goal will allow us to hire on additional support members as needed (production, bug-testing, sound) and keep the core team working right after release and into expanded content.

Maybe they just mean "free for backers" like it suggests above, not "only for backers" which it doesn't say (it says "Mini-Expansion For Backers After Release" on the main page). Probably you can buy it if you don't back is my guess, but I'm sure that can be clarified.

Either way, I'm not too optimistic it's a problem we'll have to worry about, it would take a pretty big drive to hit $360K. I hope it happens of course, but not expecting it.

Holy crap, that was ridiculously well written.

The Making Of book is tempting, but it is $50, and SDCC is a week away, and my next paycheck is not going to be as glorious as my last two.

Derrick01

Banned
I just finished another run through Alpha Protocol so I'm ready for some more great branching writing like in that. That game is truly one of the more under appreciated games of the generation and definitely didn't deserve a freakin 2/10 from destructoid (let me guess...it was sterling).

HP_Wuvcraft said:

I never got the impression it was for backers only if only for business reasons. Why use the extra money just to give it away for free and not try to make some extra money on it? They'll need all the money they can get.

Llyranor

Nice to see more updates/previews.

Approaching 200k! Keep it up!

From the Forbes article, I love the comparisons to hurricanes/natural disasters + breakdown of society. This game's heart is in the right place.

Aselith

I really don't like when people say "all of the sudden" but I agree it's very well written.

I wish they'd add the trade paperback at the $100 level but unsigned. I can't see spending $150 to get the book in a paper copy but I'd like to have it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Great stuff, I can already see myself drooling over every bit of content this game will offer. I think I'm now more excited for Dead State than Wasteland 2.

Derrick01

Banned
Great stuff, I can already see myself drooling over every bit of content this game will offer. I think I'm now more excited for Dead State than Wasteland 2.

Me too, and that game has based God (Avellone) working on it. That's pretty special for another RPG to pull that off for me.

Llyranor

Some choice quotes I like from the recent updates/previews.
Dead State is all about human survival and psychology in the wake of a global disaster. You need allies for security, but they also need food, and that can lead to morale issues. Your goal is to keep the shelter from falling apart, going out into the dead-filled streets and towns looking for food and other supplies, dealing with the much smarter and unpredictable humans, and trying to keep your shelter fence up while improving the conditions inside.
Allies bring issues to you, are assigned jobs, build items, upgrade the shelter and handle crises. On the area map, you can travel to known locations, find random encounters or events, and harvest wild sources of food. On the combat maps, you can explore in real time, find items and supplies, enter turn-based combat with humans or zombies, and sometimes meet other characters or groups.

Definitely, we were inspired by Jagged Alliance and X-Com, and alsoFallout, which was pretty much the game that directly got me into the industry – I applied to Interplay directly after playing it. Our allies can die, same as the characters in any of those games.
I’d say we were also mildly influenced by the base-building in the old PlayStation game Suikoden, and some of the turn-based mechanics/balance of Final Fantasy Tactics. As far as the dialogue goes, I wanted to make sure that the characters were as strong as the dialogue that people associate me with for Bloodlines, but with a deeper morale and political aspect to the management of the many personalities in the shelter.

One of the biggest components of Dead State is the writing. With dozens of characters, item descriptions, and loads of game text, there’s a lot to experience. We’ve got over 10,000 lines of branching dialogue – to give you some perspective, the average screenplay contains about 1000 lines of linear story. For our dialogue, we need to create reactivity for relationships with other allies, the character’s respect for the player, character mood, concerns for events happening in and out of the shelter, and personal requests. As you can imagine, this takes a bit of scripting and time to write, rewrite, and implement – and every ally in the shelter has dozens of nodes of reactivity, including some random events.

We’ve got dozens of potential allies currently, and we’d like to add to that eventually – whether that’s from a stretch goal or post-release support. There’s a lot of dialogue and scripting for each one – around the same amount or more than the most complex Bloodlines characters – so adding them isn’t trivial.
In Dead State, anyone who gets bit turns into a zombie within three days. For some reason, antibiotics will keep the disease at bay, but only if an infected human keeps taking them. Since bites are pretty easy to spot, there’s never any mystery of who is infected, but you better believe keeping around infected people is a contentious position at the shelter. When antibiotics start to run out, you will have to handle the situation, and let’s say the options are not always going to make everyone happy.

No game is going to be completely reactive AI that generates new responses on the fly, but we’re going to provide a lot of reactivity, lots of branching in character arcs, lots of dependencies on the situation and what other allies are there. We don’t think every player is going to find every ally, nor are they going to have every ally alive for all possible scenarios. We have a lot of dependencies that roll a situation into the next ally on the list – for example, if a character is targeting a certain personality type at the shelter for a conflict, if their primary “target” isn’t there, they will go with the next best one. It’s the same with allies imparting information – if you’ve heard about a place from one of them, the other won’t tell you. We have some random elements thrown in on quite a few dependencies too. It’s a lot of scripting, but interaction is one of our key features.

I'm really excited about this game. Now, I'm all for squad-based turn-based combat (not a huge fan of single-character TB), so I'm really looking forward to Wasteland2/Shadowrun. But, this is something special. The game design justifies its approach to combat and companions.

Is one of those previews really a 45-min interview? Haha. I'll find time to listen to this tomorrow or something.

Fjordson

Me too, and that game has based God (Avellone) working on it. That's pretty special for another RPG to pull that off for me.

I can't choose right now between Wasteland 2 and Dead State. MCA is God-tier, but Mitsoda isn't far behind for me personally.

Also really hyped for Shadowrun Returns, but Wasteland and this are at the top.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well, Mitsoda's pretty high up the RPG deity scale, it just seems like we haven't had the chance to witness all his work, which is a shame. I get the feeling he didn't end up on great terms with Obsidian, or else we'd be seeing a little more support from Fargo, MCA, etc., and Dead State could use some big names do it some promotion.

zkylon

zkylewd
I can't choose right now between Wasteland 2 and Dead State. MCA is God-tier, but Mitsoda isn't far behind for me personally.

Also really hyped for Shadowrun Returns, but Wasteland and this are at the top.
My biggest problem with Wasteland 2 is that I'm personally not pleased with how they've been doing with updates. Like, the vision document and the concept art was all top notch but other Kickstarter projects (I'm thinking DFA, The Banner Saga, even Dead State has shown a lot of stuff these days, but that's not really fair since they had a big head start) have been updating more often and with a lot of interesting stuff, and I simply think their forums are hideous and look like something out of 1997. You know, like Fallout's old horrible offical website. Then again, MCA...

edit: sorry for the double post...

Fjordson

My biggest problem with Wasteland 2 is that I'm personally not pleased with how they've been doing with updates. Like, the vision document and the concept art was all top notch but other Kickstarter projects (I'm thinking DFA, The Banner Saga, even Dead State has shown a lot of stuff these days, but that's not really fair since they had a big head start) have been updating more often and with a lot of interesting stuff, and I simply think their forums are hideous and look like something out of 1997. You know, like Fallout's old horrible offical website. Then again, MCA...

edit: sorry for the double post...
Haha, that is true about the forums. And yeah, I get what you're saying about the updates. Hoping we get to see some interesting stuff soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom