• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead State Kickstarter project by DoubleBear Productions [Ended, $332K funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llyranor

330k goal, nice!

I can see last-minute support being a very real thing. I mean, you can have the spare money and not want to spend that much unless it'll actually help reach a stretch goal. If it reaches it without you, you go for a smaller tier. Maybe.

So all we're missing is an xpac post-release. The game itself will have all the projected bells and whistles. Neat!

TheUsual

Gold Member
Great last minute push by backers! Really didn't think we would get to the City (let alone animals). I put in my $30 to get the game and soundtrack. Now the (long) waiting game.

Acosta

To everyone in this thread that contributed: you are amazing people that are amazing. Thank you so much! Seriously psyched that we were able to cross the 330k threshold at the last minute!

All the new areas & city mean I get to write even more music, so...yes! Time to (continue to) make this thing.

Yay! really glad to support this, Big grats to you, Mitsoda and the rest of Double Bear team, hoping for the best.

Man, my list of backed projects is getting scary...

Derrick01

Banned
To everyone in this thread that contributed: you are amazing people that are amazing. Thank you so much! Seriously psyched that we were able to cross the 330k threshold at the last minute!

All the new areas & city mean I get to write even more music, so...yes! Time to (continue to) make this thing.

I missed your post at first but I just wanted to extend another congratulations. The game looks fantastic up to this point so here's hoping it's all smooth sailing from now to release.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Damn glad to see this got is funding. Backed this at the $15 tier since I've been hyped for it ever since I heard about it. Had to help make it happen!

Grayman

congratulations. I could really "feel it" in the project update 17 email. Have fun making the rest of the game.

Fjordson

Good god, I missed the last few days. We got the city! What an awesome final push.

Now comes the sobering wait for the actual game =[

Azih

Animals are interesting as I can see a very obvious conflict between survivors about wasting precious resources on feeding them. Also if rations run low then Corto's giant great dane will start looking mighty tasty. Mmm....

The City goal will allow us to bring on another designer, which will be pretty huge and help take some of the workload off of me and Annie.

Ah, great stuff, yeah I imagine that's a massive thing for you guys. Congratulations on hitting 330k!

Azih said:
if rations run low then Corto's giant great dane will start looking mighty tasty. Mmm....

Not to mention they'll presumably also look tasty to the zombies - good diversion / bait material? Sorry Lassie...

Azih

Not to mention they'll presumably also look tasty to the zombies - good diversion / bait material? Sorry Lassie...
That's a question actually. Some versions of zombie lore have only humans being affected (both with zombism and with being targets of zombie hunger) while others extend it to animals as well. What's the deal with Dead State?

zkylon

zkylewd
I always felt that the weirder the zombie (babies, dogs, monsters) the shittier the movie. The big deal about zombies is that humanity ceases to exist and there's really no hope for anyone still alive.

Derrick01

Banned
I've been watching the walking dead marathons on AMC and I have to say I'm very frustrated with the "leader" of the group. He routinely puts the group and himself in danger for lost causes and suicide missions, just to put his conscious at peace I guess.

Like right now he's (season 2 episode 8 spoiler)
risking himself, herschel and the asian kid to help some guy that was literally just trying to kill them 2 minutes before as walkers are bearing down on them.
It makes no god damn sense and it's beyond reckless. I hope this game puts us in these "tough" (I say it like that because to me it's not a tough choice) situations so I can do what I'm currently screaming at the TV. I definitely fall into the logical side of thinking, like not sacrificing the group for 1 person, especially a stranger.

I've been watching the walking dead marathons on AMC and I have to say I'm very frustrated with the "leader" of the group. He routinely puts the group and himself in danger for lost causes and suicide missions, just to put his conscious at peace I guess.

Yup. That's one reason I'm looking forward to Dead State and have really enjoyed Telltale's Walking Dead game- you can presumably make some of those decisions the way you want and not be a TV version of Rick Grimes.

Llyranor

Mitsoda posted this on this official forums 2 days ago:

Hey everyone,

We've mostly been updating on the Radio lately, so I just wanted to jump on and mention what we're working on. You may have heard the "combat demo" mentioned here as something we will be showing off. We're wrapping up some improvements to it and doing some playtesting to get it feeling as much like the final game as possible. I'm hoping to have the final video down either by the end of next week and released shortly after that. Everything we will be showing is very obviously a work in progress, but it's pretty exciting that a lot of the basics are all working and functioning to design specs now.

Here's what we're planning on showing (everything here is functional right now):

-The town of Llano, which is one of the first areas you hit in the game.
-Melee and Ranged combat.
-Fighting against zombies and human enemies
-Line of Sight (only see enemies that you or an ally can see)
-Noise (combat generates noise, enemies respond to noise)
-Inventory, switching to new items
-Looting corpses and containers
-Combat/zombie AI
-Lockpicking and bashing doors
-Combat animations
-Transitioning from real time exploration to turn-based combat and back
-Give an idea of what we're working on for future combat build updates.

Combat plays out pretty much how we promised right now - it's a mix of Fallout and X-Com. Every day has been bringing huge improvements, which is in no small part due to the skills of our programmers. I'm really excited about showing it off, I just want it to be as polished as we can get it in the next few days. Based on the team's feedback, we've already got some great ideas on how to further improve it in future builds. As a designer, you always want to hold onto something until it's 100% just right, but at some point you have to get over that feeling of incompleteness and show your work.

Sorry about the wait! It is coming...
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/foru...148622c35316568896b26af8c4c67dc7&topic=3225.0

zkylon

zkylewd
Nice. Has anyone been following the dev radio?

I totally forgot about it (which is why they should newsletter that shit up).

Labadal

Haven't followed the radio, but I will in the future.

I'm just happy that they will be able to show something off.

zkylon

zkylewd
new update: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../458899?ref=email&show_token=49c96046f40e280d

* new video in a month
* game greenlit on steam, still gonna do drm-free version
* they added full control on all your party members in combat
* allies can panic if their loved ones get heavily injured
* allies are still AI controlled in base and dialogue matters, etc.

pics:
Party1.jpg
Party2.jpg

I think the grid's new?

Trigger

The grid isn't new. It was in the last video. I didn't realize we were getting a new video though. Excited to see how it's coming along.

They probably figured it would be easier to let the player control the other characters than it would be to make a good AI for them.
I don't really mind it, even if it makes the combat less unpredictable.

zkylon

zkylewd
new update: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../528874?ref=email&show_token=fc0cc524c476fbf9

basically general completition stuff, shelter's in alpha stage, they're developing group combat, etc., nothing too exciting.

also "Big announcement incoming – probably a very exciting one for a large number of you. Expect to see a whole lot of new game shots and footage in the near future."

cool

there's also a sample track from the shelter which sounds pretty good, very 28 days later-like: https://soundcloud.com/leif-chappelle/crisis-in-the-shelter/s-SvQcB

can't wait for this game

zkylon

zkylewd
I think they post a lot on their own forums or something like that, I never understood how to access the dev radio either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom