• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead State Kickstarter project by DoubleBear Productions [Ended, $332K funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmitsoda

Dead State Dev
Wasn't this first announced like three years ago?
We explain this in the Rock, Paper, Shotgun article here:

RPS Interview/

I'm interested in this... big question so far is the school/base element... might be a bit restrictive? Having a town/city with randomised elements and having to find a base / keep on the move would be interesting.
We're set in Central Texas, so we're sticking to the actual layout. There are random events and encounters while traveling. With all of the allies and base functionality, it would be out of our scope to create multiple locations like the shelter.

There's still a day left and we're at about $275 now. If you're looking at Kicktraq estimates, keep in mind they are not in real time.

I know you want that 300k, so do I. Just saying that it's not looking fantastic given the rate it's been going at. Be nice to see some big drops.

Aselith

I know you want that 300k, so do I. Just saying that it's not looking fantastic given the rate it's been going at. Be nice to see some big drops.

Yeah the game would have needed 1k per hour at about the 40 hour mark to reach it's goal but as time has gone on that has steadily increased. Unless something big happens, I don't think 300k is achievable. The rate just isn't going fast enough currently.

Durante

You know, having been around for the last day of quite a few other kickstarters I'm not as negative on the chances for 300k as most other people here. Usually, the last 24 hours (and particularly the last 12) show a significant bump in funding.

Aselith

Have they stated when they expect to have the game finished?

Their estimated delivery is 12/13 but I'd think they are overestimating a bit since Dec dates are often used as placeholders. Hopefully, anyways! I wants it.

You know, having been around for the last day of quite a few other kickstarters I'm not as negative on the chances for 300k as most other people here. Usually, the last 24 hours (and particularly the last 12) show a significant bump in funding.

I know what you mean but it seems like the ones that have gotten very significant bumps were big names with established (if a little long in the tooth) franchises. Not knocking Brian and DoubleBear but this is a new game and while they have definite talent the names don't shine quite as bright as a some of the other Kickstarters were there has been a huge bump in the last.

Although I guess Takedown pulled out a miracle in the final hours so anything is possible.

I'm just more worried about this City thing than the majority of goals I have seen. It seems like it's really going to be important to have in the final game and I worry that it will be pushed back to an expansion or worse not get in there at all. Seems like there will be a lot of other areas but going into a zombie infested city is pretty important if you want to emphasize the survival and horror aspect of the zombie genre.

Grayman

I upped my pledge in pledge in the last few days hoping for the city to get in. A high risk high reward area is awesome for replays. Best of luck with the last day Brian and team, especially anyone tapped to only work at the upcoming stretch goals.

epmode

This is soooo close. I've already upped my pledge too! If only there was at least one more rich dude with ~$5000 of disposable income!

Famassu

Wasn't originally going to donate to this (still kind of feeling the effects of the crazy Kickstarter Spring), but then I saw how close it is to the 300k aim and contemplated about the nature of the project (takes cues from many of my favorite PC & PS RPGs), so what the heck, I'll try to help it get there by donating 30$. Not much but everything counts, right?

Instead of going for an entire new area I'd rather Doublebear used the extra funds from this last stretchy period to polish the originally intended scope for the game... but if they have confidence that the new area won't stretch them too far then fair enough, so do I!

... And I suppose that doesn't make for an enticing Kickstarter goal, does it?

scy

Somehow missed this Kickstarter until just now, chipped in. Here's hoping for the last ~$8k for that next milestone tier.

bmitsoda

Dead State Dev
Instead of going for an entire new area I'd rather Doublebear used the extra funds from this last stretchy period to polish the originally intended scope for the game... but if they have confidence that the new area won't stretch them too far then fair enough, so do I!

... And I suppose that doesn't make for an enticing Kickstarter goal, does it?

The City goal will allow us to bring on another designer, which will be pretty huge and help take some of the workload off of me and Annie. There would be no way to get the City areas done on top of the areas I'm already working on, but another designer can work on the City and a lot more of the game.

bmitsoda

Dead State Dev
No PayPal? :(

In case you didn't see it:

We can't accept PayPal for Kickstarter funds, however, this is the method multiple other projects have recommended:

1. Get a Ukash voucher from their site (Ukash.com)

2.Follow the instructions there to get a Ukash NEO card, which can be used as a Mastercard on Amazon. (Please read the rules at their site first - we're obviously not affiliated.) Apparently you should add an extra $1 onto the card for Amazon's account processing system.

3. Pledge through Amazon with the Ukash NEO card the same way you would with a credit card.

There seem to be multiple explanations online on how to do this if you get stuck - hope that helps!

SkyandSun

Banned
Ordinarily I would donate here. But - firstly, I am a mac user and last time I checked this platform wasn't going to get a release alongside the PC.

Secondly - the 'human relationships with zombies in the background' crown has recently been taken, for me, by the Walking Dead game. That really has given me my fix in this genre. I know its kind of an adventure game vs Dead State's RPG systems, but... yeah.

Finally, I also kind of didn't like the way the project went completely quiet for months on end before the arrival of the kickstarter and the drive for people's cash, despite an enthusiastic fanbase keen for updates. I know this has been explained on the forums but something about the way things happened and the way things only picked up when DB was asking for people's money has put me off donating, which for me at least requires a lot of goodwill (much more than, say, purchasing the final product, which I may yet end up doing).

Anyway, good luck and forgive my cynicism.

bmitsoda

Dead State Dev
No mention of Kick it forward brian. Thoughts?

Also won't the City change the balance of the game?

The City is kind of like those extra difficult dungeons in RPGs that are much nastier but contain incredible rewards if you're willing to risk it. It's a level for experts or at least a team of your best characters.

The City is kind of like those extra difficult dungeons in RPGs that are much nastier but contain incredible rewards if you're willing to risk it. It's a level for experts or at least a team of your best characters.

Is it possible I could Paypal you like 17 bucks (they take a small% for fees so 17 should be like 15)? to your e-mail or something. The ukash method can't be funded with paypal funds so i can't do it. I don't have other money atm.

Miletius

Was hoping for Dobermen myself, but this is good. I upped my pledge to 30, hopefully people are doing that so we can see animals in the game.

pa22word

Great to see it hit $300k, but it looks like animals are unreachable at this point. Not a major loss, but I would have liked to see the variety it brought.

DTKT

I'm a bit worried that with the failed amazon transactions, they are going to get less than the 300k. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom