• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead State Kickstarter project by DoubleBear Productions [Ended, $332K funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm a bit worried that with the failed amazon transactions, they are going to get less than the 300k. :\

AFAIK the only number that matters is the number on kickstarter's page. If that shows 301K, and there's 9K of failed transactions, well, it'd be pretty sleazy not to deliver the feature imo.

Just like Kickstarter fees, Amazon fees, expenses for creating physical products, and shipping fees, failed transactions are a given and should be taken in to account (within reason). That's not to say if it raised 301K and there was 300K of failed transactions things might have to be reconsidered, but imo, it's an expected "expense" for anyone budgeting properly and shouldn't be a surprise.

Aselith

AFAIK the only number that matters is the number on kickstarter's page. If that shows 301K, and there's 9K of failed transactions, well, it'd be pretty sleazy not to deliver the feature imo.

Just like Kickstarter fees, Amazon fees, expenses for creating physical products, and shipping fees, failed transactions are a given and should be taken in to account (within reason). That's not to say if it raised 301K and there was 300K of failed transactions things might have to be reconsidered, but imo, it's an expected "expense" for anyone budgeting properly and shouldn't be a surprise.

Moreover, I'm sure they want it in there too so I don't think 1k is going to make them cut it.

Hm if it ends up at 325k they should kick the last 5k in the bucket and give us the animal update!

1) Against Kickstater rules/policy.

2) Just because Fargo can drop 1k doesn't mean every dev can; especially a start up.

3) 5k is a lot of money. A lot of money.

4) They already have been working on this for three years. That they are doing a Kickstarter now sort of tells you where they are financially.

1) Against Kickstater rules/policy.

2) Just because Fargo can drop 1k doesn't mean every dev can; especially a start up.

3) 5k is a lot of money.

Do you think the stretch goals are accurate representations of the costs involved for each additional content? They are just incentives to get us to donate more. I get what you're saying, but they have already funded their project by 200%, so I hope that gives them some financial freedom.

It's going to be a long wait to December 2013.

Do you think the stretch goals are accurate representations of the costs involved for each additional content? They are just incentives to get us to donate more. I get what you're saying, but they have already funded their project by 200%, so I hope that gives them some financial freedom.

It's going to be a long wait to December 2013.

What does this have to do with them spending five thousand of their own dollars, of which they may not have?

The stretch goals are not "hey we'll just take money from this stretch goal and put it here!".

mclem

What does this have to do with them spending five thousand of their own dollars, of which they may not have?

The stretch goals are not "hey we'll just take money from this stretch goal and put it here!".

I think he's suggesting more that the animal addon may not be *that* precisely budgeted, and perhaps 325k would open up at least some scope for it, even if not to the originally-planned extent. He's not talking about adding 5k to the project, really, so much as "It's near enough, we'll do it anyway".

Pinkerton Road did similar; they got *some* of the way to the final stretch goal so thought they'd at least go for the orchestral score component of it.

To be honest, if I were doing a Kickstarter, I'd probably intend to do all the stretch goals long-term as the revenue from the finished game comes in. It'd keep interest in the game alive, at the very least.

Miletius

321 k with 10 minutes left. Doubtful that they are going to reach 330k, but you never know.

Edit: wow, just jumped to 326k

I think he's suggesting more that the animal addon may not be *that* precisely budgeted, and perhaps 325k would open up at least some scope for it, even if not to the originally-planned extent. He's not talking about adding 5k to the project, really, so much as "It's near enough, we'll do it anyway".

Pinkerton Road did similar; they got *some* of the way to the final stretch goal so thought they'd at least go for the orchestral score component of it.

To be honest, if I were doing a Kickstarter, I'd probably intend to do all the stretch goals long-term as the revenue from the finished game comes in. It'd keep interest in the game alive, at the very least.

Thanks for putting my low INT grunts and moans into precisely worded vernacular, that's exactly what I meant to say. :p

Edit: wow... 5 minutes to go and 4k short.. .someone tweet @notch about this!

Famassu

Yes! I'm so glad that they got over 300k. Shame that we're not getting any animals though.
Heh, I was just going to say that with less than 15 minutes left, you can never know if they might get a few big 2-5k pledges. And lo and behold, it had jumped from 315k to 326k when I updated the Kickstarter page before starting to write this post. lol

EDIT: Oh wow, some people wanted animals bad. :D It's over 330k! I hope those aren't fake pledges.

No idea what this is. Purchased with one minute to go. I saw "zombie" and "turn-based" and thought "Ah, why the fuck not?"

Seriously. No idea what this is. You have my money. Haha. Please be good.

Kuraine

Neo Member
To everyone in this thread that contributed: you are amazing people that are amazing. Thank you so much! Seriously psyched that we were able to cross the 330k threshold at the last minute!

All the new areas & city mean I get to write even more music, so...yes! Time to (continue to) make this thing.

yes! YES!

Dude I am stoked as fuck for this game! VTMB is one of my favorite games ever. I remember checking this two days ago and worrying whether they would even be able to get city in! DOGS! CATS! WELL WRITTEN ZOMBIE CRISIS SCENARIOS! I AM SO EXCITED OH MY GOD

To everyone in this thread that contributed: you are amazing people that are amazing. Thank you so much! Seriously psyched that we were able to cross the 330k threshold at the last minute!

All the new areas & city mean I get to write even more music, so...yes! Time to (continue to) make this thing.

Congrats to you and your team.

Aselith

No idea what this is. Purchased with one minute to go. I saw "zombie" and "turn-based" and thought "Ah, why the fuck not?"

Seriously. No idea what this is. You have my money. Haha. Please be good.

Hope you like pony sex, bro. One of us, one of us, geeble gobble geeble hobble, one of us, one of us!

Labadal

That was great to watch. I had the Kickstarter page in a separate window for the last 15 minutes, and it was good to see the funds rise as they did.

The last stretch goal can easily be done at a later point.

Herla

I kinda didn't want to see animals dying in horrible ways, but at this point it's impossible not to get excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom