• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

Hesemonni

Banned
I, like many others I hope, finally got the game from IndieGala. Just a quick question before I dive in : keyboard + mouse or controller?

Robso

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm in two minds as to whether to buy the game. Mainly because of the trouble I've heard the PAL version (I'm in the PAL region) has. How has the PAL version ran for people on here?

Oemenia

Banned
Actual spoilers, question regarding the identity of the raincoat killer.

This probably has been asked many times but every time you go into an area with enemies, how is it that the Sheriff gets g'd up to be the Raincoat Killer when he's standing outside with Emily?

PillarEN

Hello PS3 Deadly Premonition players. I just finished the campaign and wanted to put down some thoughts with spoilers.

*spoilers ahead*

I'm a huge fan of Twin Peaks, thus I knew I had to eventually get around to playing this game. In terms of nailing that Twin Peaks atmosphere I have to give Deadly Premonition full marks. Twin Peaks isn't just coffee and a small logging town. It's the oddball characters and the kind of culture that surrounds these people. Deadly Premonition has that too. When I had breakfast with the hotel owner I knew that this game had the right vibes. Thomas being a sort of offshoot of that tall cop in Twin Peaks, George being a super creep deep down with massive mommy issues. Kaysen being the ultimate fucking asshole playing innocent and the wheelchair rich guy. You get surprised what really happens. Not everyone is as straightforward as they appear. Like York, I found myself being smitten by Emily. Of course it's not the low quality model that is interesting, it's the personality, the character, the realness of her. It's no shock that York is fascinated with her. To have her die (and believe me I didn't do it until I had no more choices left) was gut wrenching.

Speaking of deaths. Anna, whatever. The tree, snake, christian symbolism, but I didn't think much of it. Some of the other deaths though, those caught me off guard. Particularly because you witness them happen. I'm bad with names but the girl in the bathroom, her death made me go "holy shit I was not ready for that". Funny that George actually set the whole thing up and then finished it. Sick bastard. Diane had a crazy death too. At this point the game had me hooked. Hooked eh? Poor Thomas. His gender bending ways eventually found him penetrated by a hook to the face. A grisly death that once again made me vocally react. Good god.

At this point I thought we were very close to the end. Not quite. First George needs to apprehended. Oh yeah, Carol died too. Don't recall why other than she too had her tongue cut out. The incident with Emily was unexpected. At this point I don't know if I thought Kaysen would be who he turned out to be but no matter. My mind was all on stopping George. Some great one liners during this fight. I can't recall the exact phrases but George goes something like "I sacrificed them to become a God" and York responds "Let's rephrase that you killed them to become a first degree murderer" *finger snap x2* hot damn Agent York. I want your babies (not really).

The game isn't over? Emily never made it to the hospital. Uh oh. That fat fuck Kaysen (terrible name too eh?). What did he do. I'll admit that I played this game over a 3 week span so bits and pieces kind of fell out of head. I'll need to read a summary or a wikia for the game. For whatever reason York knows that he should go to George's house. OK. There we find his dead mother. Tree and all. A little picture notifies the agent that he needs to head to the theater. Time for a little play time with the Raincoat Killer. and eventually we end up at the theater. Did we have some hallucination where York was the Raincoat killer? I don't think so. I think the story goes back in time and the OG Raincoat killer simply makes his way to the theater back in the 50s but the game transitions to York in the same location at the present. Nevermind. everyone is affected by the rain in this sick town. Kaysen is in the tower. Let's get him. Story stuff happens (poor Emily) and we fight the marshmallow filled Kaysen in the theater. Then he gets extra angry and starts chasing us down the stairs. This is infuriating for me as the game is poorly coded glitchy mess, but during the final boss fight I died several times because York refused to run at some points. I had to go look up what was happening and turns out this issue exists in the PC version as well. The solution is to pause the game for him to not clip through the stairs and thus get stuck. Ridiculous. Unacceptable. OK so I do that pause and go like 20 times and succeed on my first try. The doll shooting is pretty ho hum because the gameplay is pretty lousy in this game. But not a big deal. Until the final kill shot where you are on Mega Kaysen's shoulder. How was I supposed to know that I was supposed to shoot at the doll which is barely visible. *sigh* whatever. I looked that up too and killed him. That was that. The town was saved.

I like that Zach is telling the story in the Director's Cut. It brings me more closure and I like that York is always with Zach after all these years. And I'm also happy that Emily and the other murdered women are happily living in the alternate universe. You kinda need some positive closure because all the deaths were so sad and I really did care for Emily (I wanted to Lara Croft 2013 protect her yo) who was a innocent character through and through.

I only got about a fourth of the side missions done because after the real killer is known you just don't have the ability to do them. This caught me off guard and I wish I had known. From a story perspective it makes sense. From gaming perspective I was a little peeved that I wouldn't have the chance to do more during this playthrough. The only reason I anted to do more side quests is to flesh out this town. To get to know the people more. That Twin Peaks feeling. I'll have to get that fix replaying some earlier chapters then. I mean the gas bribing. I barely got anywhere with that and that's a side mission that begins almost forcefully.

What else can I say? That this game is meant for two playthroughs if you don't take your sweet time. But the time is given to you. So use it. don't rush to the main plot. I'm guessing everything is possible to do in one playthrough. I'm glad I spent time in Greenvale and since I've beat the main story the only thing I care about now is fleshing out some other characters. On top of that I need to better understand the main plot. For that I'll probably check the internet for answers related to the plot.

P.S. The chats in the car are so so good. Lovely references and a great way of showing us who Agent York is.

*spoiler ends*

Top Bottom