• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

Bowler

Just got my PS3 copy. Any tips or reminders when playing?

And no. I won't use any guides.

1) Get the radio by going to George's house early on (Chapter 2, iirc; doing the Nameless Flower quest).
2) Get the guitar as this is the weapon you'll be using most of the time in this game, I mean it! Do all the Lilly Ingram missions at the Milk Barn and hold onto it for a while. Don't give it back to Keith until postgame. You'll need it.
3) Do all of the side missions because they're worth it. It's not the game part of the game that's memorable for me for Deadly Premonition; it's the NPCs and main character interaction.
4) Get the flamethrower if you want, I dunno. I usually just stuck with the guitar. >.>
5) Do Emily's cooking missions at her house and get the Weather Doll, which acts as a Regen item.

List of locations (and if you click on the locations they'll show you the times) are here: http://deadlypremonition.wikia.com/wiki/Locations. Just don't scroll down further on the locations' wiki pages for fear of spoilers.

A&G Diner; 09:00 A.M. - 21:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.
Galaxy of Terror: 20:00 P.M. - 22:00 P.M.
Hotel: Open 24 hours.
Hospital: 09:00 A.M. - 21:00 P.M.
Gallery: 10:00 A.M. - 17:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.
Swery 65: 19:00 P.M. - 22:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.
Milk Barn: 08:00 A.M. - 20:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.
Gas Station: 10:00 A.M. - 20:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.

If the cops tell you to go somewhere at X time? Nah, you can just keep doing what you want to do and skip it; there's no penalty. At least there wasn't in the original version. You can carry on with the story at your leisure while you're exploring or doing sidequests. There are just a few main story missions that require you to be there at the time they specify or else it's game over, but other than that, you can carry on at your own pace and do the mission on a next day at the same time.

really good starting aspect

I just used the wrench for the entire game. The enemies were so weak that its fast attack speed more than makes up for its moderate strength. Using Grecotch just left me open for longer when I attacked. The flamethrower? That weapon actually served a purpose? There was no reason for me to ever use anything other than the wrench on 99% of enemies.

For anyone who decides to tackle this game for the first time without a guide, well...use a guide. At least if you want to complete every sidequest.

jimi_dini

OMG Finally approved! I don't know what to say. It feels like I just won an Emmy. ;)

So, now that I'm finally up in this piece, if there is anything I can help you guys with or answer for you, please feel free to ask away. I'm more than happy to assist however/whenever I can.

Oh my gosh

I <3 GAF

Get the soundtrack of this game released officially. Pleeeaaassseee. Lots of people will buy it in a second.

Finished the game for the first time today and wow. I really loved the writing and I think it's a truly beautiful game, despite the shit graphics.

Really wanting to start again, even if the ending
left me a little depressed :( Emily :( Zach :(

DavidPR

Hey guys, sorry, no new news on if/when an update will be made available. However, on the positive side, there is a bunch of new in-game DLC hitting the PlayStation Store today!

Here's what what's dropping:
&#8226; Espresso Suit - Tolerance to Hunger and Tiredness x3
&#8226; Field-Ops Suit - Increase HP and Attack Power x3
&#8226; High Roller Suit - Money Rewards x3
&#8226; Happy Songkran Suit - Money Rewards x3
&#8226; Special-Ops Suit - Increase HP and Attack Power x2 - Tolerance to Hunger and Tiredness x2 - Money Rewards x2
&#8226; Catgirl Outfit - Character skin only
&#8226; Friday Night Outfit - Character skin only
&#8226; The Blue GT - Enhanced Handling
&#8226; The Devil&#8217;s Red - Increased max speed and faster acceleration
&#8226; The Green Drifter - Expert car, drifting capabilities
&#8226; Chibi Chibi Bang Bang - Vehicle skin only

With more on the way in the following weeks too!

Keep an eye out for the official announcement later today when it goes live.
Thanks for all of your support!

Bittercup

Interesting, instead of the DLCs the US store got, EU got this one instead:
Home Pack
3,49&#8364; to get 3 houses in the town you can buy. No further detail on the store page what you can do with them.

DavidPR

Interesting, instead of the DLCs the US store got, EU got this one instead:
Home Pack
3,49€ to get 3 houses in the town you can buy. No further detail on the store page what you can do with them.

The Real Estate Pack will be released in North America on June 11 (this coming Tuesday).

BOTEC

Cool beans. I downloaded a bunch of that stuff last night, the York and Emily outfits worked great, but I couldn't get the car skins to work? I set them in the Add-ons menu, but nothing happened. Which car are they replacing?

luokyl

So I just finished this game mere hours ago.

Wow, very thought provoking. I definitely enjoyed it. However, it wasn't until I read the endgame Q&A on planetredwood that I realised how carefully this game was put together.

I definitely have a much bigger appreciation for it now.
(Everybody has probably read this before, but here it is , spoiler warning http://planetredwood.webs.com/endgameqaspoilers.htm)

popyea

Wow, very thought provoking. I definitely enjoyed it. However, it wasn't until I read the endgame Q&A on planetredwood that I realised how carefully this game was put together.

(Everybody has probably read this before, but here it is , spoiler warning http://planetredwood.webs.com/endgameqaspoilers.htm)

Thanks for the link. Really interesting. I finished the game last month (and also decided to platinum it) and loved it. I can't get enough of York. I'm really hoping to see him return in a new game.

BOTEC

Cool beans. I downloaded a bunch of that stuff last night, the York and Emily outfits worked great, but I couldn't get the car skins to work? I set them in the Add-ons menu, but nothing happened. Which car are they replacing?

Answering my own question. After purchasing the DLC, there will be a gold flare in your inventory that is used to summon the blinged out police car, or whatever you set in the add-ons menu.

Necrovex

When the price goes down for the Director's Cut, I'll probably pick up DP again. I would read the link, but I have forgotten the finer details of DP. I want to replay the game, and then read that Q&A.

DavidPR

Hey guys and gals,

Wanted to give you all a bit of an inside heads up and let you know that the PS Home Avatar items are scheduled to be released in North America next week. :)

EDIT: Oh, and I'll ask about the game's OST.

Hey guys and gals,

Wanted to give you all a bit of an inside heads up and let you know that the PS Home Avatar items are scheduled to be released in North America next week. :)

EDIT: Oh, and I'll ask about the game's OST.

a bit off topic but do you know anything about Swery65's new game D4?

Persona7

Banned
Man, the real estate DLC is practically worthless unless I am missing something. I thought it would at least have a cool extra or something like that.

DavidPR

a bit off topic but do you know anything about Swery65's new game D4?

To my knowledge, Microsoft bought the rights to the game, so D4 will be a first party Microsoft title. Whether or not it's a launch title, I can't say for sure.

Had a brief run in with Swery at the Microsoft booth while I squeezed in a quick round of Killer Instinct. :)
http://i.imgur.com/DklTfpH.jpg

Oh, and BTW, great choice on the Klonoa avatar. Little known fact, I was a contest winner years ago in Tips N' Tricks Magazine for being the fastest to beat one of the bosses in Klonoa 2. In fact, I still rock the proof on my Chrome bag: http://i.imgur.com/cmdYsRL.jpg (sadly, it's yellowed over time). I won that zipper pull, some stickers, a poster, and a copy of the game on GBA at launch. ;)

BOTEC

Man, the real estate DLC is practically worthless unless I am missing something. I thought it would at least have a cool extra or something like that.

Well, it's a nice bed to sleep in without having to shlep all the way to the hotel. Yeah, it's mostly cosmetic, but I like having a house in Greenvale.

Persona7

Banned
Well, it's a nice bed to sleep in without having to shlep all the way to the hotel. Yeah, it's mostly cosmetic, but I like having a house in Greenvale.

Yeah, I forgot about that. I even complained about that a few times. This would have been a better purchase if the DLC had come out before I finished the game completely.

BOTEC

To my knowledge, Microsoft bought the rights to the game, so D4 will be a first party Microsoft title. Whether or not it's a launch title, I can't say for sure.

Had a brief run in with Swery at the Microsoft booth while I squeezed in a quick round of Killer Instinct. :)
http://i.imgur.com/DklTfpH.jpg

Oh, and BTW, great choice on the Klonoa avatar. Little known fact, I was a contest winner years ago in Tips N' Tricks Magazine for being the fastest to beat one of the bosses in Klonoa 2. In fact, I still rock the proof on my Chrome bag: http://i.imgur.com/cmdYsRL.jpg (sadly, it's yellowed over time). I won that zipper pull, some stickers, a poster, and a copy of the game on GBA at launch. ;)

So... Klonoa 3, brought to you by Rising Star, coning in 2014 to XBone and PS4, right?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't had a lot of time to read through the thread but overall is the DC of Deadly Premonition worth it for a fan ? Are the improvements noticeable ? I absolutely adore the game and have played through it a few times so I'm not 'new' or anything :)

Tomodachi

Just finished it. I will miss Greenvale deeply :(

Amazing game, and to those who can't appreciate it: your loss.

Now I want an Xbone for D4. Really hoping there will be a PS4 Director's Cut version, at some point.

Tomodachi

Sorry for bumbing this again after this short time, but I was wondering, can I get the platinum even if I skipped many subquests and have already finished the game? Do I have to complete them all in a single playthrough or now that I finished the game I can load a chapter I need a subquest from, finish it, then save and jump to a different chapter? Same question goes for the trading cards I guess.

Sorry for bumbing this again after this short time, but I was wondering, can I get the platinum even if I skipped many subquests and have already finished the game? Do I have to complete them all in a single playthrough or now that I finished the game I can load a chapter I need a subquest from, finish it, then save and jump to a different chapter? Same question goes for the trading cards I guess.
Yeah, you can go back and redo anything you miss. Only caveat are that you can't save while you're replaying a chapter, so you have finish it one sitting. Picking short, easy chapters like 7 helps this though.

Well, some have also been reporting trouble with the legendary fish quest, that the special fishing rod you receive can disappear from you inventory if you don't finish the quests before you finish the chapter rendering the quest uncompletable.

sunnz

What is one of the best side quests available?

Like are there any that are must do ( not for the rewards, but because they are just very fun)

How come nobody is talking about the fact that you get new weapons from replaying the final four "Other World" scenarios? The grass cutter is awesome, wish I'd had it during first playthrough of the game.

Tomodachi

Yeah, you can go back and redo anything you miss. Only caveat are that you can't save while you're replaying a chapter, so you have finish it one sitting. Picking short, easy chapters like 7 helps this though.

Well, some have also been reporting trouble with the legendary fish quest, that the special fishing rod you receive can disappear from you inventory if you don't finish the quests before you finish the chapter rendering the quest uncompletable.
Thanks, I did that quest first to avoid any problems, completed it just fine. Yesterday I rage quitted after trying so hard to make it rain for Emily's second dinner quest, ugh. I thought I had given up on the platinum but today I woke up regretting my decision, will keep on trying later on :p

Sorry Zach, can you forgive me? :(

MarkusRJR

I lent out my Xbox 360 copy to a coworker only to get it scratched beyond belief when I got it back a month or two later. I went on ebay only to find the 360 version is super expensive. I can't seem to find a new copy for anything vaguely around the $20 MSRP. Copies on ebay seem to go between $60-$85 with shipping. :/

Should I just pick up the PS3 version and dig out my old PS3, or should I just buy the games on demand version? Are there any major issues with the PS3 version I should note (eg. game breaking glitches, save erasing glitches, etc)? I remember hearing the frame rate is dog shit in the DC. Any advice?

Tomodachi

Aaand platinum. It was frustrating at times but I enjoyed the post-game a lot overall, I like the kind of trophy that forces you to do everything in the game without absurd requests. Also the fact that each side quest gives you a trophy (instead of the usual approach "do more than 5 missions, than 10" etc) stimulates you to go ahead and do another one. Very rewarding.

I really loved this game, one of my instant classics for sure. It will be among the few I will remember fondly from this generation of consoles. I'll just say it made me drop The Last of Us for weeks (bought it on day one and I rarely spend full price for games, so that's how I was looking forward to it), 6 hours into the game. That's saying a lot I guess.

Should I just pick up the PS3 version and dig out my old PS3, or should I just buy the games on demand version? Are there any major issues with the PS3 version I should note (eg. game breaking glitches, save erasing glitches, etc)? I remember hearing the frame rate is dog shit in the DC. Any advice?
I only played the DC and have no idea what they added to the original game, but the framerate is really, really bad. Not gamebreaking and I tend to not complain for such things when games are not very combat-focused or action-driven, I find that the clunkyness and "dirty" looks add to the charme. The only glitch regards a side quest, if you just don't save during it you're fine (it's very short, totally doable).

Persona7

Banned
This was posted a while back

eZEu8N9.jpg

Got around to downloading this and played it for about 2 or so hours. Yeah, the game is ugly and clunky but it has a certain something that keeps me wanting to continue.

Just finished up the
autopsy
. I've only done the
Finding Arnold
sidequest so far so I hope to travel around and do some more next time I play.

Any of the DLC worth the price? Or is it mostly fluff?

Persona7

Banned
Got around to downloading this and played it for about 2 or so hours. Yeah, the game is ugly and clunky but it has a certain something that keeps me wanting to continue.

Just finished up the
autopsy
. I've only done the
Finding Arnold
sidequest so far so I hope to travel around and do some more next time I play.

Any of the DLC worth the price? Or is it mostly fluff?

The real estate DLC might actually be helpful if you are just starting the game as it gives you a extra spot in the city to sleep and save.

Here is a list of everything else : http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ion-the-director-39-s-cut-gets-first-dlc.aspx

I've been waiting for a patch before trying to play this anymore. I didn't see that twitter post from Swery until just now so I guess I shouldn't hold my breath. Fuck. I honestly feel ripped off. This version of the game runs like shit.

Prospective buyers? Don't.

I've been waiting for a patch before trying to play this anymore. I didn't see that twitter post from Swery until just now so I guess I shouldn't hold my breath. Fuck. I honestly feel ripped off. This version of the game runs like shit.

so wrong. screw the occasional clunk - buy & enjoy this amazing game. i know i did :) ...

The real estate DLC might actually be helpful if you are just starting the game as it gives you a extra spot in the city to sleep and save.

Here is a list of everything else : http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ion-the-director-39-s-cut-gets-first-dlc.aspx

Thanks, I'll download the real estate pack later today. It would be nice to have an extra place to sleep without driving all around. May even spring for a skin or two.

It's really not that bad. I went into this game knowing it's going to run and look like crap. And yes, it does look like crap and while it doesn't run smoothly I wouldn't say it runs like shit.

The game is perfectly playable. I know I shouldn't say this but, it's framedrops kinda add to it's crappyness charm. It's not like it prevents you from enjoying the base game.

The game is perfectly playable. I know I shouldn't say this but, it's framedrops kinda add to it's crappyness charm. It's not like it prevents you from enjoying the base game.

So true. It really feels like it's a so bad it's good B grade horror movie. Some of the animations that go along with certain lines of dialog are so bad it's hilarious.

Tomodachi

PC version announced for Steam, please vote for it on Greenlight (can't link right now, i'm on mobile). Please vote even if you're not interested in buying it again so that many more people can enjoy it!

Top Bottom