• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

So I got the 360 version for next to nothing a while back, though I haven't got the chance to play too much of it.

Is it worth upgrading to the Director's Cut?

Persona7

Banned
Rising Star Games posted a comment on twitter, a PS3 patch is not coming because the developers could not figure out the issues.

Well this is going back to Amazon, I think.

The framerate is fucking ATROCIOUS! :( Even the Red Room (aka the menu), where barely anything is happening runs terrible. I'm playing it a little longer thinking, "surely it can't be that bad later...right?". Niope, I was wrong. As soon as the game gets properly underway and York comes out of the car crash, the framerate just moving around must be in the 15-20 range. It's stupidly low.

How the fuck did this game get the okay in this condition? I *really* have loved everything I've seen in videos and giantbomb endurance runs of this game, and I had no idea the Directotrs Cut runs so badly.

Sigh.

cj_iwakura

Play-Asia sent my copy pretty quick. No idea WHEN I'll start it, but probably after Dragon's Crown. I don't want to wait too long.

Necrovex

The framerate is fucking ATROCIOUS! :( Even the Red Room (aka the menu), where barely anything is happening runs terrible. I'm playing it a little longer thinking, "surely it can't be that bad later...right?". Niope, I was wrong. As soon as the game gets properly underway and York comes out of the car crash, the framerate just moving around must be in the 15-20 range. It's stupidly low.

How the fuck did this game get the okay in this condition? I *really* have loved everything I've seen in videos and giantbomb endurance runs of this game, and I had no idea the Directotrs Cut runs so badly.

Sigh.

If you have a PC, just wait for that version. That's what I am doing for replaying the game. I'm sure within a month of the PC release, someone will fix all of that game's grievous issues.

GeoramA

20 hours in, Zach. I cannot believe how much in love I am with it. Love the world, the side-missions, story, voice acting...

The framerate can definitely be a LOT better, but other than that I have no complaints.

Sigh.

It's really bad, isn't it? Definitely single digits in certain areas. Other than the general decline whenever you head outside, there's often no apparent reason for some of the more egregious offences.

DavidPR

Happy Friday, everyone! I'm feeling a little generous today, so here's a handful of PSN DLC codes for the Field-Ops suit.
Codes are to be used with Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut on PS3 (hopefully that's obvious).
First come, first served:

RT27-DDN6-DMRB
3G96-6TNT-K4QH
R775-GRNG-LGLN
FJG5-4HNB-78FH
HH88-RANE-HEK8

And for those who aren't near their PS3:
https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/login.action?service-entity=psn
Login > click on the Account tab > Redeem Prepaid Code

Also, if I may, a plug for the Visual Companion that hits the iPad App Store this coming Monday, October 14!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/deadly-premonition-directors/id679978115?mt=11

Most importantly, the game is officially hitting Steam on Halloween!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/247660/

EDIT: OK, since I posted this on Twitter, and it turns out that they're all gone and no one said anything (not even a thanks, chum) here's TEN more. Also, if you have an account here, please call it out if you use one of the codes, so others aren't continuously trying all codes only to get an "already redeemed" message:
4RDC-H7N9-9BGB
FKR6-59N5-GNR2
63NL-3LN5-LFGE
55QK-K5NR-BB56
3RRM-T9NM-KDQP
HBGE-2KNM-R28Q
86R2-B8NG-P7N7
GEK5-MEN2-72R7
ECN9-LLNP-A8TL
M8ML-M9N2-E897

Cheddahz

Banned
Tuesday can't come any faster

T7iW9r5.png

cj_iwakura

I haven't committed to it like I should, I just randomly get pulled away. In Chapter 2 now, and I get the impression I've barely scratched the surface.

Also, I can't think of any other game with a main character who's such a film buff. Surprised this wasn't a copyright fiasco.

Persona7

Banned
I haven't committed to it like I should, I just randomly get pulled away. In Chapter 2 now, and I get the impression I've barely scratched the surface.

Also, I can't think of any other game with a main character who's such a film buff. Surprised this wasn't a copyright fiasco.

I was like that at first with the PS3 version but I did managed to get pulled in. I love just running aroung Greenvale and watching everyone go about their schedules.

now that you mention copyright...The milk barn in the 360 had a unchanged texture of a trix cereal box* while other products just have changed names but the same exact box from a real product. The funniest one is the Oreo Cakesters box with a different name.

They changed some of them in the PS3 version but they could still be a problem. I haven't been able to check the milk barn in the PC version due to being busy.

cj_iwakura

Just started Chapter 2-2, and question about a quest... (Spoilers)

One says Becky Ames, and is available from 2-4 and 6-8, but uh, she's kind of dead?

Persona7

Banned

One says Becky Ames, and is available from 2-4 and 6-8, but uh, she's kind of dead?

I think that is the side quest where you have to complete other ones before attempting.

side quest 27
side quest 28
side quest 1
side quest 29

The first quest is at Anna's house. You go up on the second floor and look at the picture and then go talk to sallie to complete it.

Tomodachi

I think you shouldn't worry about doing all the side quests on your first try, some are chained and pretty tricky to get, you'll have the chance to replay single chapters after you finish the game to get them all. Try to get as many as you can though, they're great!

cj_iwakura

Alright GAF, sell me on this game, I just don't see the appeal.

Great voice over, good criminal investigation plot if you're into that.

York's voice is amazing.

I think you shouldn't worry about doing all the side quests on your first try, some are chained and pretty tricky to get, you'll have the chance to replay single chapters after you finish the game to get them all. Try to get as many as you can though, they're great!

I agree, that's why I'm trying to do as many as I can. Also they're pretty easy.

cj_iwakura

Maybe this is just because of my notoriously low standards, but I think this game has some pretty impressive rendering of the characters.

cj_iwakura

How does the Benjamin quest at the gas station work? I already gave him $100, but I can't give him anymore and the quest is still open.

Never mind, got it. I think.

How does the Benjamin quest at the gas station work? I already gave him $100, but I can't give him anymore and the quest is still open.

Never mind, got it. I think.

gotta wait 24hrs before you can give him more cash
same thing with quests that are unlocked by completing another quest, you need to wait 24hrs before starting it unless the quest automatically started as soon as you completed the previous one

Just started it.

That is the strangest prologue I have ever seen.

Huge Silent Hill 2 vibe, though.

Yeah, part Silent Hill part Shenmue. I just finished this last week and I love it - I was completely sucked in by the story. Might even go play again to do the side missions, because there are some characters I didn't even see again after the town meeting.

hal9001

Banned
This game is incredible. I have just done the first hour and it has been amazing. It combines one of my favourite tv shows, Twin Peaks, with one of my favourite games ,Resident Evil 4

Fantastical

Death Prophet
This game is incredible. I have just done the first hour and it has been amazing. It combines one of my favourite tv shows, Twin Peaks, with one of my favourite games ,Resident Evil 4

YAGvSNo.gif

You're definitely right about Twin Peaks, but putting Resident Evil 4 in the same sentence as this game is a bit ridiculous. I guess it's an over the shoulder shooter that has you killing zombie-like enemies, but the gameplay (at least the action side) is so fucking terrible that it should never be talked about in a positive light.

In my opinion, where the gameplay actually shines is the fact that they made an open world-like setting in a small town. I would love to see some competent developers with a larger budget expand upon this idea. The developers actually hit upon something interesting here with a full day cycle and businesses open only certain times, and the ability to see characters go through their (albeit simple) daily patterns.

Yeah, part Silent Hill part Shenmue. I just finished this last week and I love it - I was completely sucked in by the story. Might even go play again to do the side missions, because there are some characters I didn't even see again after the town meeting.
Some of the side quests are definitely worth it if you're interested in the story as they unveil more details about the involvement of some side characters in the whole thing.

Gvaz

Banned
Gonna make some food and start playing this soon. I can't wait, so excited, more than any other game out right now.

edit: no idea what the fuck Twin Peaks is, nor have I ever touched any resident evil other than 5.

Gonna make some food and start playing this soon. I can't wait, so excited, more than any other game out right now.

edit: no idea what the fuck Twin Peaks is, nor have I ever touched any resident evil other than 5.
Be prepared for one of the worst driving mechanics in video game history. Be very prepared.

Gvaz

Banned
Crashes on first load. fantastic. Why? Apparently missing physxloader.dll

apparently missing "cudart32_41_22.dll" too

Persona7

Banned
Crashes on first load. fantastic. Why? Apparently missing physxloader.dll

apparently missing "cudart32_41_22.dll" too

I get this on the steam version for some reason but not the GOG version.

I fixed it by uninstalling physx and then re-installing it from the nvidia website and restarting the computer. I sometimes get that error with other games.

Gvaz

Banned
I get this on the steam version for some reason but not the GOG version.

I fixed it by uninstalling physx and then re-installing it from the nvidia website and restarting the computer. I sometimes get that error with other games.

I just copied the files from my physx folder to the exe location. That's an easier fix that works with all games.

Top Bottom