• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Is this a setting you have to change or is it English by default? Seems kinda weird and unnecessary for a game released only in Japan to have recorded English voice acting.

The default. I don't think there's many videos on YouTube, but I can upload a few if needed.

Here's one that shows off what I mean, from the opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puzDxJdRFHQ

Characters don't have voice acting often, but they speak Engrish like the opening guy when they do.

Ratrat

This looks really shitty.

I know it's a 'so bad it's good' type game, supposedly anyway but it's hideous. Is this anything like Twin Peaks/Alan Wake?

rekameohs

Banned
This looks really shitty.

I know it's a 'so bad it's good' type game, supposedly anyway but it's hideous. Is this anything like Twin Peaks/Alan Wake?

The story and characters are legitimately fantastic - some of the best in gaming, period. The gameplay is utterly terrible, and the graphics are quite bad. It's not really a "so bad it's good" style game, it's just those parts mentioned above. And the great characters have turned this into the cult classic that it is. So you could say it's like Twin Peaks in that regard. I personally love the story and the path it takes.

SkylineRKR

The menu map doesn't rotate at all I think. You can zoom it out quite decently.

But the in-game map can be made much bigger so you can see branching points earlier on.

Have you used the in-game camera yet? I wonder if it drops images in the XMB photo folder.

No, when do you get the camera? I'm currently at the greenvale hospital. Will play more once free from work.

jgminto

Honestly, how the townsfolk have their daily routines and go about town independent of the player still impresses me. It's probably not that technically impressive but it's the only game I've seen do anything like it. Most open world games only have the characters exist in cut scenes and specific missions.

The story and characters are legitimately fantastic - some of the best in gaming, period. The gameplay is utterly terrible, and the graphics are quite bad. It's not really a "so bad it's good" style game, it's just those parts mentioned above. And the great characters have turned this into the cult classic that it is. So you could say it's like Twin Peaks in that regard. I personally love the story and the path it takes.
This. It's not 'so bad it's good'.

Honestly, how the townsfolk have their daily routines and go about town independent of the player still impresses me. It's probably not that technically impressive but it's the only game I've seen do anything like it. Most open world games only have the characters exist in cut scenes and specific missions.

It really makes the town feel more alive.

SkylineRKR

Shenmue had it as well, but other than that idk.

The game is just good, very ambitious. Its only being held back by dated tech, perhaps due to a low budget. The characters aren't random fucks, they're well written. The story isn't corny so bad its good either, its just a good and engaging story as far as videogames go.

DP does what LA Noire failed to do. Creating an engaging world and characters where there is actually something to do and explore outside of following the set routine.

Very much like Twin Peaks, but weirder and it gets even weirder towards the end.
It's true that the premise and early scenes are almost identical to Twin Peaks, but I wouldn't say that it gets weirder, or it depends on how you define weird. Sure there's some crazy stuff to be seen, but everything that happens later on in the game has a quite comprehensible reason and the story doesn't really leave any questions unanswered. Twin Peaks on the other hand leaves a lot of room for interpretation and probably confused a lot of people, even if they were paying attention.

That being said, I think that DP went into a pretty different direction than TP in the end, but even as a fan of the show, I was not disappointed by that, because DP was pretty good in what it was doing on its own, so it doesn't really have to depend on the fame of TP.

Naked Lunch

DP is basically Twin Peaks in videogame form and it also destroys Alan Wake. DP has some of the best characters ever in a videogame and one of the best stories too. Its a low budget game made by a small team with loads of heart. Its the definition of a hidden gem - but also ended up being one of the best games of this gen IMO.

Ill be double dipping to check out the new sections. Replaying Deadly Premonition will be like re-watching a favorite movie. I plan on revisiting this one for years to come.

Necrovex

You should give Radiant Historia a try. I don't know if that was one of the first games that implemented this feature, but I remember being blown away when I first saw this feature in RH.

sunnz

Got up to the hospital part so far

My views so far

Bad driving physics
Terrible graphics
Gameplay is decent, nothing bad but not good. Defiantly playable

Love the immersion/ realism to it ( hunger, tiredness, car signals etc)
So far the characters are pretty dam amazing
"everyone calls me york" gets me all the time LOLOL
Really enjoying the story to it

There are frame rate problems, the most obvious part was the red room at the beginning but since then it has been better and even stable for the most part. Not in any way game breaking ( yet).

I do wish it had better car physics to make driving more enjoyable as well as exploring and graphics ( mainly better foliage) so it looked more immersive and less ps2 port but I was able to get over the graphics quick quickly since the game is still very enjoyable

So far, so good.

Got up to the hospital part so far

My views so far

Bad driving physics
Terrible graphics
Gameplay is decent, nothing bad but not good. Defiantly playable

Love the immersion/ realism to it ( hunger, tiredness, car signals etc)
So far the characters are pretty dam amazing
"everyone calls me york" gets me all the time LOLOL
Really enjoying the story to it

There are frame rate problems, the most obvious part was the red room at the beginning but since then it has been better and even stable for the most part. Not in any way game breaking ( yet).

I do wish it had better car physics to make driving more enjoyable as well as exploring and graphics ( mainly better foliage) so it looked more immersive and less ps2 port but I was able to get over the graphics quick quickly since the game is still very enjoyable

So far, so good.
York is one of the most memorable characters of this generation, if not ever.

Shit, the framerate is horrible. Not Blighttown-horrible but it's easily in the 20-25 fps.

Also there are graphical glitches when buying stuff. This is unacceptable and should be patched (along with the translation).

Gbraga

Shit, the framerate is horrible. Not Blighttown-horrible but it's easily in the 20-25 fps.

Also there are graphical glitches when buying stuff. This is unacceptable and should be patched (along with the translation).

Please confirm if it gets better after a while.

stn

These critiques I'm reading - are they from the new version coming out soon? I bought the original and gave it a chance, but the controls and awful animations turned me off.

akaoni

Banned
Installing the game now. I haven't played the game yet and I didn't know what Twin Peaks was until I read this thread. Not particularly a fan of live action TV stuff because it's usually about ratings/money until they run it into the ground, would it be worthwhile for me to watch it? The weirdness and the coffee stuff I've seen seems to be quirky enough to make it interesting.

EDIT:

While using the wireless controller hold it firmly to avoid it from slipping away. In order not to collide with people around you, make sure no one is too close to the playing area.

I already like this game.

SmithnCo

Installing the game now. I haven't played the game yet and I didn't know what Twin Peaks was until I read this thread. Not particularly a fan of live action TV stuff because it's usually about ratings/money until they run it into the ground, would it be worthwhile for me to watch it? The weirdness and the coffee stuff I've seen seems to be quirky enough to make it interesting.

It's one of my favorite series, so I'd say give it a shot. Worthwhile for any fan of DP and vice versa.

The FOV is way zoomed out in the director's cut, not sure it's really beneficial since all it does is highlight York's goofy running animations while dragging the framerate down

It definitely was not about money or ratings, which is also the reason why the show ended after two seasons. If you haven't seen anything by David Lynch yet and don't know his style, you can prepare yourself for quite a different experience, since it's pretty atmospheric, mysterious and artistic, but still provides a good story and really interesting characters. If you're into anything like that, you should try it.

sunnz

Regarding FPS

To me the worst part was the the beginning in the red room, after that it was not as bad but still had some slow downs randomly.

The more on screen the worse it is, driving is surprising smooth in terms of FPS for the most part.

In the 4 or so hours I already put into it, I would put the FPS at like 25 on average.

There is some, very little, audio problems ( lip sync is bad)

I wanted to see what night time was in game so slept for 3 hours, woke up to some fucked up shit haha.
I was actually frightened a bit when a certain "thing" attacked me, not gonna say what so you can be surprised.

Anyway, night time, lots of evil things attacking me or spawning around me... and my car ran out of fuel, thankfully I had a flare or else I would have been done for. Pretty awesome experience.

Just hope they had better people who could have worked on the gameplay and graphics more to polish and smoothen it out more.

The map is great though.

It would be interesting to see an open world Alan wake game though.

Laranja

Is there any chance they'll release a patch to fix the framerate and sound problems?

Also, for those who have played the game: is it just weird, or does it get scary, too?

Alfredo

I do wish it had better car physics to make driving more enjoyable

I hope you're doing sidequests. Once you unlock the Junkyard, you can buy better cars from there, and doing all the Junkyard and Gas Station quests will grant you access to the best car in the game.

You shouldn't have. It made for terrible body shots. It was pretty much useless.

I actually found auto-aim to be pretty useful. It set up instant headshots for "limboing" enemies. For standing ones, just lock onto their butt, then tap the stick up, and you should be aligned for another easy headshot.

sunnz

I hope you're doing sidequests. Once you unlock the Junkyard, you can buy better cars from there, and doing all the Junkyard and Gas Station quests will grant you access to the best car in the game.

I actually found auto-aim to be pretty useful. It set up instant headshots for "limboing" enemies. For standing ones, just lock onto their butt, then tap the stick up, and you should be aligned for another easy headshot.

Ah cool, will get on that.

Alfredo

Heh, are people forgetting that Deadly Premonition wasn't really a well-made game to begin with? I've experienced tons of glitches in the 360 game. More than once have I fallen into a hole behind Becky's house to my death because some of game's geometry hadn't loaded. And don't forget those hard locks caught on video during the Giant Bomb Endurance Run.

I'm convinced the framerate issues are just because the engine isn't optimized for the PS3.

But I haven't played the Director's Cut yet (I wish I could!), just basing this on previous experiences with other versions of the game.

Persona7

Banned
Heh, are people forgetting that Deadly Premonition wasn't really a well-made game to begin with? I've experienced tons of glitches in the 360 game. More than once have I fallen into a hole behind Becky's house to my death because some of game's geometry hadn't loaded. And don't forget those hard locks caught on video during the Giant Bomb Endurance Run.

I'm convinced the framerate issues are just because the engine isn't optimized for the PS3.

But I haven't played the Director's Cut yet (I wish I could!), just basing this on previous experiences with other versions of the game.

Well, the PR manager is saying that the North American version doesn't have any framerate or hitching issues.

He also said he doesn't comment on rumors and speculation when someone asked him about the technical issues.

Ein Bear

I've been playing my UK copy all afternoon. The framerate's fine, for the most part. It's just weirdly fucking terrible in the red room at the very start of the game, which leaves a bad first impression. Get 5 minutes in though, and everything's fine.

SHarris78

Done the initial forest part and have just woke in the hotel.

Yeah the frame rate isn't great, I'm not too fussed about that, I am however having the game / audio stop every 10 to 15 seconds and its driving me nuts. If it continues I don't think I'm going to carry on with it.

geebee

Banned
So is the framerate worse than the Xbox 360 version? I have the original Xbox 360 release, but never got around to finishing it. I'm considering picking up this Director's Cut.. but I'm gaving second thoughts if the performance is in fact worse..

Top Bottom