• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

They didn't fix the pop in or horrible resolution/IQ issues ;-;

At least some of the textures do look better I guess, the police office in particular.

sunnz

Night time is creepy as fuck lol.

Actually dislike nighttime, so hectic.

Also how do side missions works? Do i just walk up to people and talk and it will be activated? wait till a certain point in the game?

I also have the vehicle DLC, were would I get my vehicles?

Persona7

Banned
What are the chances he's not just simply feigning ignorance on problems they weren't able to fix? The missing music is worrysome. I find it hard to believe the PAL version would be so drastically different from the NA release.

Persona7

Banned
What are the chances he's not just simply feigning ignorance on problems they weren't able to fix? The missing music is worrysome. I find it hard to believe the PAL version would be so drastically different from the NA release.

Yeah, I don't see what could make them so different outside of different builds for each region.

This is weird. I can look past slight technical issues and a few bugs...but save file glitches? No way.

Found more gameplay on youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffQeP90QK6s

damn

From before :

yXMjLng.png

Izick

I think I'm just going to get the 360 version. Money is kind of tight, and it seems the changes aren't too drastic, or they aren't going to affect the parts of the game that are interesting.

Yeah, I don't see what could make them so different outside of different builds for each region.

This is weird. I can look past slight technical issues and a few bugs...but save file glitches? No way.

Found more gameplay on youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffQeP90QK6s

damn

From before :

yXMjLng.png

Thing is, it's a PS3 game. There shouldn't really be "different builds" for each region, especially when releasing simultaneously. This isn't the PS2 era when that could have been the case.

Persona7

Banned
IGN review is out

www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/26/deadly-premonition-the-directors-cut-review

+Compelling story
+Quirky characters
+Improved controls and camera

– Not enough new content
– HD makeover barely noticeable
– Some framerate and audio issues

Playing the original version is like pushing a wheelbarrow full of pug dogs – ugly and challenging to maneouvre, but overflowing with personality. And well, it’s still pretty ugly. Although this Director’s Cut has been upscaled to 720p, it’s still one of a few current-generation games with textures so poor that even the in-game signs need subtitles. The upscaling has also had a negative impact on the frame rate, which seems to get bogged down a bit more than it did in the original. Indeed the graphics would barely pass muster in a late-generation PS2 game, but to be fair its low-budget looks have the effect of better serving its schlocky, B-movie sensibilities.

The good news is that it's now far easier to control, both in terms of the new manual camera setup (no more getting turned around in stairwells) and the more logically laid out shooting system for the combat sections. York no longer handles like a treadless tank, and targeting the groaning, backwards-walking Shadow enemies now feels more in line with what you’d expect from a third-person shooter in 2013. It’s not as slick as it could be, but it’s certainly far more functional this time around.

an extended ending that hints at a possible sequel

Wow.

Well, I think I'm sticking to my preorder. I'll be happy to come back here and relay my experience for those who are less confident in making a purchase.

Persona7

Banned
Thing is, it's a PS3 game. There shouldn't really be "different builds" for each region, especially when releasing simultaneously. This isn't the PS2 era when that could have been the case.

Yeah, that was the point I was going for but I didn't convey it well enough.

Alfredo

Hmm, I didn't know they got rid of tank controls completely. That's really interesting. I'm really excited to play through this game again! I wish this version had Leaderboards like the 360 one.

...I actually have two copies coming in. Originally ordered from Amazon, but doesn't seem like they're offering release-day delivery for this game, so I pre-ordered from Gamestop today as a backup. Might send the other copy to a friend who's only had a PS3 this entire gen. I hope they're willing to forgive the technical issues, lol.

Clov

Woah, save issues in this? I'm pretty wary about my pre-order now...

Should I stick it out or just get the 360 version?

Alfredo

I wonder if this game is high profile enough for Digital Foundry to do a comparison between the different versions.

Alfredo

Yo, if you guys want some sweet Deadly Premonition swag, check out this contest that Deadly Premonition/Silent Hill fan extraordinaire Whitney/Chemi Ro is running.

She's giving away a U.S. copy of the Director's Cut, along with a sweet pack of custom Deadly Premonition Trading Cards, one signed by Swery himself!

Enter the contest here:
http://fkinthecoffee.com/?p=4664

I'd enter, but I already bought two copies of the game, and I won her cards in a previous contest. :p

lmao could it be they made the game worse, technically, in some areas. Hmm maybe I don't need another copy of this.

scratch that, I'm defintly buying it to support Swery and Co. Probably won't play it for awhile. I wish they hadn't changed the graphics, it was just asking for trouble. They don't look better enough to justify ANY new framerate problems. I also think the game looks worse overall with the new graphics. Certain things just stick out more now. The visuals don't feel as unified now.

jgminto

Yo, if you guys want some sweet Deadly Premonition swag, check out this contest that Deadly Premonition/Silent Hill fan extraordinaire Whitney/Chemi Ro is running.

She's giving away a U.S. copy of the Director's Cut, along with a sweet pack of custom Deadly Premonition Trading Cards, one signed by Swery himself!

Enter the contest here:
http://fkinthecoffee.com/?p=4664

I'd enter, but I already bought two copies of the game, and I won her cards in a previous contest. :p

Oh I want that so bad!

On viewing those videos e frame rate seemed so much worse than the 360 version I remember well...on actual fact, I think the fact that it's cleaner looking made it appear that way to me. The 360 version runs at a similarly low clip.

Top Bottom