• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

Moze

Banned
So is the Director's Cut framerate better or worse than the old X360 release? Or mostly the same? I'm still on the fence about double dipping..

i dont know if its my PS3 but the framerate for me is TERRIBLE i usually dont care but this just seems REALLY bad

i played both red seeds profile and the original on the 360 and dont remember it being this bad

it also constantly cuts for like half a second during cut scenes

So is the Director's Cut framerate better or worse than the old X360 release? Or mostly the same? I'm still on the fence about double dipping..

The latest videos make it look significantly worse to me. As I've stated though, it's been delayed on PSN until next Wednesday, so I suspect a patch will be issued soon.

geebee

Banned
i dont know if its my PS3 but the framerate for me is TERRIBLE i usually dont care but this just seems REALLY bad

i played both red seeds profile and the original on the 360 and dont remember it being this bad

The latest videos make it look significantly worse to me. As I've stated though, it's been delayed on PSN until next Wednesday, so I suspect a patch will be issued soon.
Ah, that's too bad. I'll hold out for now and see if a patch is released to improve the performance.

stn

Can anyone who's played the original compare it to this one, please? All I ask for is better controls and better animations and I'm there!

Moze

Banned
Can anyone who's played the original compare it to this one, please? All I ask for is better controls and better animations and I'm there!

very little improvement

controls are slightly better

animations are exactly the same

My copy was on my doormat when i arrived home tonight. Excellent.
Now i just need a PS3 to play it on :)

I do have the 360 Deadly Premonition so i didn't just randomly buy a game i can't play yet :)

Okay, Red Room...have the twins on screen and the frame rate dies. Face a door or object, it's perfectly smooth.

The bit after that...very smooth apart from whenever there's a lightning strike or you face a light source the game finds too taxing.

I set my PS3 to 720p before starting. Will update! I fear daytime is going to show the worst of this...

Alfredo

According to the IGN review there is not that much extra content, consisting only of the chapter summaries which were described earlier in this thread and a new (branched?) ending hinting at a sequel. I was hoping for playable new content as well, not necessarily a new chapter, but maybe some sidequests, a new area or even some new dialogue choices or something interactive at least. But maybe there's more than they were able to find out.

sunnz

Okay, Red Room...have the twins on screen and the frame rate dies. Face a door or object, it's perfectly smooth.

The bit after that...very smooth apart from whenever there's a lightning strike or you face a light source the game finds too taxing.

I set my PS3 to 720p before starting. Will update! I fear daytime is going to show the worst of this...

To me the worst FPS part was the red room, sicne then its not as bad but still goes down at times.

Okay, now up to the hotel. The FR is weirdly awful in parts, but not as slideshowish as the videos. I shall try putting my PS3 back up to 1080p and see if it seems worse and will also check the 360 version. That's definitely smoother, but I'd like to see for myself ho significantly.

Okay, e 360 version is waaaaay smoother. Yet I'd forgotten how maddeningly awkward it was to control. I'd forgotten the lack of proper camera control! On foot, the PS3 version feels so much better, although the car controls are actually much less logical. R1 to accelerate! :D

I do hope my hunch regarding the last minute PSN delay being because a frame rate patch is on it's way is proven correct.

Persona7

Banned
Yeah, that was my prediction as well. Last minute delay while they deploy a patch.

Still disappointing that it shipped that way.

Necrovex

I traded in some leftover Xbox games to Gamestop (sold my console, so all of those games were leftovers and too old for Amazon). I had enough to cover 3/4th of Deadly Premonition, so I decided to pick it up day one rather than day 100. I'm excited to return to Greenvale.

sunnz

Okay, e 360 version is waaaaay smoother. Yet I'd forgotten how maddeningly awkward it was to control. I'd forgotten the lack of proper camera control! On foot, the PS3 version feels so much better, although the car controls are actually much less logical. R1 to accelerate! :D

I do hope my hunch regarding the last minute PSN delay being because a frame rate patch is on it's way is proven correct.

Yea the first thing I tried to do was change it to R2, quite silly to not have that option.

Yea the first thing I tried to do was change it to R2, quite silly to not have that option.

It's so bizarre that it feels as though it must have been deliberate. They'd made the on-foot controls so much better that they decided to make the driving controls weird!

Alfredo

Well, driving is gonna be weird for me if gas is R1 and you can't change it. I plan on using my 360-to-PS3 converter for the game.

I just think of DP as a visual novel with a shitty survival horror section tacked onto it. Sure, the horror parts do break up the visual novel stuff and add some tension to the game, but they control like shit, are repetitive and boring, and mostly just a waste of time.

So it really is better to get the Japanese ver. after all? That's pretty ridiculous. Starting to have second thoughts again.

Ill Saint

What? Really?

Yep.

Our records show that you have pre-ordered 'Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut Preorder Pack' from PlayStation®Store. We regret to inform you that due to technical issues, Deadly Premonition will miss its expected release date of 26th April. We are working hard to resolve these issues as quickly as possible. Unfortunately we are unable to provide a revised release date at this time. For the most up-to-date information please visit the product page, which can be found here:
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/cid=EP4034-NPEJ00140_00-B000000000000397

Be advised your pre-order has not been cancelled and as of 24/04/2013 your Sony Entertainment Network Wallet has not been charged. The charge date for your pre-order will be revised based on the new release date. If you require any assistance, please visit the PlayStation Support page which can be found here: http://eu.playstation.com/support/

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

The PlayStation®Store Team

My copy was on my doormat when i arrived home tonight. Excellent.
Now i just need a PS3 to play it on :)

I do have the 360 Deadly Premonition so i didn't just randomly buy a game i can't play yet :)
Yes, you did.

Heh, i meant to say that i have played it before so it wasn't a random purchase.
My housemate's PS3 is under the TV now also. If i get a chance i'll report in on performance.

Yanksfan

It may not have much improvements, but I never played the original anyways, so I bit on this. Hope its a decent horror game (its been awhile since I could say that about any).

Finished the prologue and played a bit of chapter 1. There's a few new scenes at the beginning of each chapter, but I haven't played far enough to know the relevance yet. The graphics haven't been improved much at all, things are a bit cleaner so they're easier to make out, but apart from during cutscenes, you don't really notice it much.

The framerate is significantly worse than the 360 version( I'm not the kind of person that usually notices these things) and I've also had a problem with the crosshair on the gun randomly disappearing for a second.

But the worst bit by far has to be the echoing in the voices - during both scenes and gameplay there is an echo in the background when the characters talk, it almost sounds like theres a doppelganger in the background quietly repeat everything they say and it's really annoying.

Moze

Banned
So it really is better to get the Japanese ver. after all? That's pretty ridiculous. Starting to have second thoughts again.

i think i would still recommend this version

pretty sure it will be patched, even if it isnt, it is still playable

Alright. The Japanese version had previously been on my list of games to get eventually get, and there comes a localized ver. for like half that. I'd definitely prefer to stick to my preorder.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
is this game worth playing for the first time if I already know the big spoilers and seen most of the big reveals on youtube?

Yeah, based on what I've played so far, it's still more playable despite the shoddy frame rate. It appears as though a patch is in the works, so that's perfect excuse to play it again on arrival.

Had the Xbox version since it launched, when the PS3 version got announced I held off on playing it. Now that it looks like the PS3 version has worse FPS I think ill just play the cock box version

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So wait does that mean the US retail version will be delayed?

Had the Xbox version since it launched, when the PS3 version got announced I held off on playing it. Now that it looks like the PS3 version has worse FPS I think ill just play the cock box version

Considering how bad the aiming system in the orignal is I still think the PS3 version will be the one to play. The 360 version is a chore throughout, in nearly every possible way to control hurdles and bullet sponge enemies.

PS3 version may run worse but with the control fixes will still end up more enjoyable, hopefull the patch makes it the definite version without pause.

Minamu

With all the issues and my local GAME store not getting copies, there won't be any repurchasing for me I think. Unless I stumble upon it in some other store but that seems unlikely.

Ein Bear

It doesn't surprise me too much. The European version of Xenoblade was limited to 25 frames, unlike the NA version.

It's true and there is a patch online to correct it if you want to rip and fix it.

Yup. I discovered this fact when I was trying to get Xenoblade working on my PC. I had the PAL version, and I discovered the framerate is locked to 25 FPS. I almost bought the NA version because of that.

My god. That's horrible. Good thing it's been sitting on the shelf all this time, guess I'll be playing Xenoblade in Dolphin....
like I ever wasn't planning that though =P

Just to clarify the Xenoblade thing.

The game runs at full 60hz, 30fps on an actual PAL Wii. The 50hz/25fps thing was an issue people had when trying to run it on Dolphin. Though, as InfiniteNine mentioned, I believe someone came up with a patch to fix it eventually.

Jay Sosa

really wanted to get a copy (already played and loved it on the 360) to show support but since they apparently managed to make it even more terrible (technically and gameplay-wise it's easily the worst game I played this gen..including PS2 titles but I can live with that, a bad framerate on the other hand is non-tolerable in a game that looks and plays like this) I'll pass. Too bad we won't see a DP2..I can't see many people getting this, I expected low sales but now it's gonna be even worse.

btw: is the audio mixing still as bad as in the 360 version? Voices were going from TOO LOUD to I can't hear shit during one sentence, music was all over the place too.

vitacola

btw: is the audio mixing still as bad as in the 360 version? Voices were going from TOO LOUD to I can't hear shit during one sentence, music was all over the place too.
It seems like it. Didn't play it so far, but some posters in this thread mentioned it.

EDIT:
A German website said that it would be worse than the Silent Hill HD Collection regarding the "makeover". Really?

Where can I find a mp3 of the enigmatic sound effect that plays when you can start a conversation with Zach (discussing movies while driving)? If there is none, do you know of a Youtube video where you can hear it, without background noise? Thnaks.

Jay Sosa

what exactly did they do then? my only issues were the mechanics the visuals and the audio. Or to put in another way: besides the story the score and the characters it's a horrible game..and they couldn't fix any of that? Only made it worse? Good job.

Laranja

Man, the first game I ever preorder and it ends up having tons of problems. I was pretty confident it would turn out better than the original PS3 version. How hard could it be, when the game looks as bad as it does?

Gah!

really wanted to get a copy (already played and loved it on the 360) to show support but since they apparently managed to make it even more terrible (technically and gameplay-wise it's easily the worst game I played this gen..including PS2 titles but I can live with that, a bad framerate on the other hand is non-tolerable in a game that looks and plays like this) I'll pass. Too bad we won't see a DP2..I can't see many people getting this, I expected low sales but now it's gonna be even worse.

I can only agree with you. Technically the game is horrible, the driving mechanics and the map are as infuriating as the original version and I'm actually even forcing myself to play at this point. Also, I've spotted even more translation fuck-ups: some words aren't even translated and even a few of them are in German (???) while I'm playing the French version.

It seems like it. Didn't play it so far, but some posters in this thread mentioned it.

EDIT:
A German website said that it would be worse than the Silent Hill HD Collection regarding the "makeover". Really?

No, because it actually improves plenty of things. That's a moronic statement proffered by a moron.

Top Bottom