• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

jgminto

People are complaining about the wall ladies? There super easy when you know how to kill them. Do all the milk barn quests and get Grecotch, then collect all the bones and give and take them from a dog, you'll get the revolver. Revolver isn't extremely important for them but it's also the best gun pre-endgame. All you need to do is run under them, turn and shoot them once with the revolver. They'll then move to the walls, stand next to the opposite wall, she'll go for a grab, making sure you aren't near her hands, whack her with Grecotch. It takes two hits to kill them on hard in the original, they'll probably die in one here.

Also the flamethrower was always pretty lame as the shadows rush you before they die.

jgminto

1) Get the radio by going to George's house early on (Chapter 2, iirc; doing the Nameless Flower quest).
2) Get the guitar as this is the weapon you'll be using most of the time in this game, I mean it! Do all the Lilly Ingram missions at the Milk Barn and hold onto it for a while. Don't give it back to Keith until postgame. You'll need it.
3) Do all of the side missions because they're worth it. It's not the game part of the game that's memorable for me for Deadly Premonition; it's the NPCs and main character interaction.
4) Get the flamethrower if you want, I dunno. I usually just stuck with the guitar. >.>
5) Do Emily's cooking missions at her house and get the Weather Doll, which acts as a Regen item.

These have to be done around 8 pm while it's raining.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...what

AMAZING
George doesn't own a calendar, you see.

Also, if you replay chapters to do side missions you've missed, or you need to refresh a character to move on with their sidequest string (because you can only take one side mission from a character per chapter/per day so you need to move on to a next chapter or sleep a bit), bear in mind that when you replay the chapters, you won't be able to save until the chapter is finished. Therefore, I think it's best to do the side missions while you're playing the main game instead.

Oh, I suppose getting the Item Bag and Weapon Bag would be beneficial to you as well.

Item Bag:
- do the Nick's Letter sidequest, and the other two Nick/Olivia side missions that link with that one (Chapters 13-16, iirc)
- Lets you carry 44 items.

Weapon Bag:
- Play Darts and beat Richard's record. Sidequest 30, iirc.
- It lets you carry up to 10 weapons.

These have to be done around 8 pm while it's raining.
Yeah, forgot that. I knew it was "while it's raining and sometime at night but I forgot the exact time". Thanks for the clarification.

I'm thinking about buying this game.

Tell me why or why not I should or should not buy this game.
Pros: Great story which actually delivers, one of the best main characters ever, very cool plot twists, lots of humour, good soundtrack

Cons: Absolutely shitty graphics and gameplay. You're literally playing the beta version of what the actual game should have been

SkylineRKR

The fact he actually starts rambling about Ladyhawke being perhaps Donner's most underrated flick cracks me up. I forgot about that movie, but it was indeed really underrated. As he says with an excellent Hauer and Pfeiffer.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
People are complaining about the wall ladies? There super easy when you know how to kill them. Do all the milk barn quests and get Grecotch, then collect all the bones and give and take them from a dog, you'll get the revolver. Revolver isn't extremely important for them but it's also the best gun pre-endgame. All you need to do is run under them, turn and shoot them once with the revolver. They'll then move to the walls, stand next to the opposite wall, she'll go for a grab, making sure you aren't near her hands, whack her with Grecotch. It takes two hits to kill them on hard in the original, they'll probably die in one here.

Also the flamethrower was always pretty lame as the shadows rush you before they die.

See, here's my issue. Do "all the milk barn quests," which for all I know could contain AWFUL driving and shooting, and then collect ALL the bones, which definitely consists of some type of awful traversal, is worrisome to me. So I do think it is somewhat of a big deal.

Which is why I want a guide :)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
See, here's my issue. Do "all the milk barn quests," which for all I know could contain AWFUL driving and shooting
The Milk Barn quests are crate puzzles. >.>

Oooh! Took a look at that Beginner's Guide. That's really good! I like that. The same applies to the original PS3 Red Seeds Profile release (outside of the fact that there are no difficulty-related trophies, so you can play through the game on Easy), so if it's the same for the director's cut.

Don't forget to get York's car. It's super fast, doesn't slow down when driving on dirt or grass, and doesn't even take damage. It's the perfect companion to the Radio.

jgminto

See, here's my issue. Do "all the milk barn quests," which for all I know could contain AWFUL driving and shooting, and then collect ALL the bones, which definitely consists of some type of awful traversal, is worrisome to me. So I do think it is somewhat of a big deal.

Which is why I want a guide :)

The milk barn quests are just box moving puzzles. The bones are all presented on the map and located on dirt roads. It's not difficult to find them.
Don't forget to get York's car. It's super fast, doesn't slow down when driving on dirt or grass, and doesn't even take damage. It's the perfect companion to the Radio.

I love how crazy it gets going down hills and through dirt paths.

Laranja

If there are DLC cars, you might have to go to Lysander's Junkyard for them. *shrug* It sounds like the most logical thing to me.

And lol, they didn't fix the aiming? Hahaha.

1) Get the radio by going to George's house early on (Chapter 2, iirc; doing the Nameless Flower quest).
2) Get the guitar as this is the weapon you'll be using most of the time in this game, I mean it! Do all the Lilly Ingram missions at the Milk Barn and hold onto it for a while. Don't give it back to Keith until postgame. You'll need it.
3) Do all of the side missions because they're worth it. It's not the game part of the game that's memorable for me for Deadly Premonition; it's the NPCs and main character interaction.
4) Get the flamethrower if you want, I dunno. I usually just stuck with the guitar. >.>
5) Do Emily's cooking missions at her house and get the Weather Doll, which acts as a Regen item.

List of locations (and if you click on the locations they'll show you the times) are here: http://deadlypremonition.wikia.com/wiki/Locations. Just don't scroll down further on the locations' wiki pages for fear of spoilers.

A&G Diner; 09:00 A.M. - 21:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.
Galaxy of Terror: 20:00 P.M. - 22:00 P.M.
Hotel: Open 24 hours.
Hospital: 09:00 A.M. - 21:00 P.M.
Gallery: 10:00 A.M. - 17:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.
Swery 65: 19:00 P.M. - 22:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.
Milk Barn: 08:00 A.M. - 20:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.
Gas Station: 10:00 A.M. - 20:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.

If the cops tell you to go somewhere at X time? Nah, you can just keep doing what you want to do and skip it; there's no penalty. At least there wasn't in the original version. You can carry on with the story at your leisure while you're exploring or doing sidequests. There are just a few main story missions that require you to be there at the time they specify or else it's game over, but other than that, you can carry on at your own pace and do the mission on a next day at the same time.

As someone who'll be playing this game for the first time soon, I really appreciate this. Thank you!

jgminto

Also some tips for the guitar. While it is the best weapon, it's kind of broken. It could be better in this version but I'll say it anyway. The guitar can clip through enemies easily. Always plant your feet before you swing. Always let the animation reset completely before you swing again, if you don't you'll do a second horizontal swing which misses 99% of the time. It's a slow weapon as well so you'll have to anticipate your swing. If you can get these down though, it'll be your best friend.

The cars slow a lottttt less in this one from the start. I'd forgotten how ridiculous that was in the original before trying it out again yesterday.

I don't know if this is in every game or just an issue with mine, but I can't do mission 13 because it freeze every time in the exact same spot. I tried going the other way to get the mission, but nope, that freezes it too. Tried 7 times before giving up

jgminto

I don't know if this is in every game or just an issue with mine, but I can't do mission 13 because it freeze every time in the exact same spot. I tried going the other way to get the mission, but nope, that freezes it too. Tried 7 times before giving up

Is that the one at the
art gallery
? On the 360 version it froze when I went around the side of the building once but the next time it worked. Don't know if that's the part you're talking about though.

I am going to pick this game up at exactly when the store opens.
dp_lighter-scaled500.png

Is that the one at the
art gallery
? On the 360 version it froze when I went around the side of the building once but the next time it worked. Don't know if that's the part you're talking about though.

It's the one where you need to catch the large fish for Jim. Tried going down the ramp section, tried going round the back off the cabin but it freezes in the exact same spot everytime

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The Milk Barn quests are crate puzzles. >.>

Oooh! Took a look at that Beginner's Guide. That's really good! I like that. The same applies to the original PS3 Red Seeds Profile release (outside of the fact that there are no difficulty-related trophies, so you can play through the game on Easy), so if it's the same for the director's cut.

oh thank god, i hate difficulty and online trophies.

Depth of shimmering! (I was hoping they had applied AA of some sort, but alas)

Edit: Holy shit that echo is annoying, if that doesn't get patched I don't know if I'll be able to finish the game.

If anyone is having issues with freezing try playing the game offline. I disconnected from PSN and the freezing seems to be gone

Actually, I'd recommend the wrench in this version instead. The enemys now take even less hits(lower than the original version on easy), so the wrench now kills everything in one or two swings + it's a lot faster than the guitar

Depth of shimmering! (I was hoping they had applied AA of some sort, but alas)

Edit: Holy shit that echo is annoying, if that doesn't get patched I don't know if I'll be able to finish the game.
Yeah my worries have shifted from frame rate to audio. Echo is pretty bad.

Alfredo

Personally, I always preferred the infinite wrench to the guitar. And you can get it much earlier than the guitar, if I recall correctly. It even works pretty well against the wall ladies.

Really does seem like they changed a lot of the textures, some places seem to look considerably better. The problem remains the lack of AA which causes the endless shimmering. Real bummer, I want someone to try out the move controls already!

The frame rate is dreadful, much worse than the 360 version (it collapses whenever it has to render more than sparse areas, and sometimes even then -see hospital corridors) but the game still manages to be better overall. I'm finding it much more playable, which is almost as bizarre as the game itself, given the effect such a big frame rate downgrade would usually have on my opinion of something. It seems kinda fitting that Deadly Premonition should buck that trend. :D

You really have to play the driving sections in first person though; does s good job masking the issue. The trade off is too apparent otherwise. It's fine on the deserted roads, but look at *anything* built up and it goes to seed, and does so anyway where you actually reach the town.

SkylineRKR

Wall ladies are still taking a lot of time with the submachine gun etc. They are really easy but you can only hit them twice or so. With a Sword from Panda its no more than 2 whacks to kill them.

Tomorrow can't come soon enough!!!
Even though I live in Europe, Friday was a National festivity in Italy so all the shops and delivery services were closed...
It would have been a fine weekend... :(

danwarb

I got this game from XBL. It actually very good/entertaining once you get used the controls and driving. I set it to the hardest difficult but I'm getting infinite ammo and have only died a few times during one very confusing QTE.

Locke_211

Just reading these random posts makes the game sound amazing! If you like exploring open-worlds to find non-essential side missions you can do for random optional rewards, a good story, and a bit of horror, is that enough to make the game worth playing?

Just reading these random posts makes the game sound amazing! If you like exploring open-worlds to find non-essential side missions you can do for random optional rewards, a good story, and a bit of horror, is that enough to make the game worth playing?

As long as the game has a big open world and a good story then, yes, it meets my requirements even if the gameplay is not at its best.

So, a couple people on Gamefaqs watched a live stream of a reviewer with the NA copy, and the stream was fine. No stuttering/horrible framerate issues, etc. They said the person playing even addressed concerns about the technical issues.

And another user there reported their own copy being fine as well.

I'm thinking it could be an issue with just the EU version.

So, a couple people on Gamefaqs watched a live stream of a reviewer with the NA copy, and the stream was fine. No stuttering/horrible framerate issues, etc. They said the person playing even addressed concerns about the technical issues.

And another user there reported their own copy being fine as well.

I'm thinking it could be an issue with just the EU version.

It's not EU specific. Unless these are people who cannot determine frame rates - and there are plenty of such folk out there - the frame rate is horrible and was on the Destructoid play-through. Given the nature of the game, it just doesn't make it unplayable.

That it's MUCH worse in this department than the 360 version is not in doubt, yet is a better game overall.

I think it is. The reviewer even said the PS3 version ran better than the 360 version.

Nope. It looks better, plays considerably better but absolutely has frame-rate issues. That this was an across the board problem was confirmed by Destructoid's playthrough stream last night. The frame-rate doesn't make it unplayable, but they are a disappointingly ugly blot on what is a superior version overall. I watched up until the end of the hospital section, and the issues are exactly as they are on my copy. People generally aren't fussy (often, ironically, the same people who play console spec wars ahead of games).

Trust second hand impressions / reviewers / PR assistants at your peril.

Yup.

Trust me, I'm well aware of some people not being picky, but a guy on GFAQs who says he is picky about this stuff...well, his name is Phoxxy, I'll just link you to the thread since that'd be easier.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/943433-deadly-premonition-the-directors-cut/66065388

I'll still be looking for more impressions, especially when the game officially launches in NA on Tuesday.

Okay, I didn't watch that video and don't own the game on both formats. I'm also blind.

Might be patched by Tuesday / Wednesday.

Are you being sarcastic? I'm confused.

Yes.

I both own the game & have watched play-through videos. I'm not making shit up to dampen anticipation for the game, because I genuinely like it and went out and bought it on release day, despite hearing of its issues. I assumed - and still do - that the PSN delay is so that a patch can be cooked up.

Here's a play-through from a guy in the US:

Red Room - Skip to around the 4:30 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owUn4rY0xac

Hotel - Go to 11:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ-w6Ak9VAY

Driving - Generally okay in deserted areas, though it's best to keep it in dashboard view to minimise perception of how jerky it becomes in the main town area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7ONynpler4

Hospital - Go to around 6:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xd2kmJTVeg

More hospital - From the start you'll see how frame-y it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YP2XIPee-0

Again, not unplayable. Just annoying & markedly worse than the 360 version, which is a shame given everything else other than brake / accelerate control is much better.

Moze

Banned
the game is playable

for the most part the framerate is probably comparable to an assassins creed game

if anyone is wondering how to get the DLC cars you have to use your unlimited flare in the items menu. to change the car you have to go to the main menu and choose ''add ons'' from there you can choose what car the flare calls

Top Bottom