• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

the game is playable

for the most part the framerate is probably comparable to an assassins creed game

if anyone is wondering how to get the DLC cars you have to use your unlimited flare in the items menu. to change the car you have to go to the main menu and choose ''add ons'' from there you can choose what car the flare calls

I'd say it's worse than that when it shouldn't be (deserted areas, including narrow corridors in certain places) but that's not too far off the mark. It is indeed playable.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does anyone know if Best Buy isn't going to sell this? I have store credit, but the Director's Cut doesn't show up in their system at all.

Locke_211

Are the side-missions you get from exploring open at any time? I see the game is chapter-based. Do you lose the available side things when a new chapter starts? That is something that would annoy me. Persuade me to buy this! :)

Are the side-missions you get from exploring open at any time? I see the game is chapter-based. Do you lose the available side things when a new chapter starts? That is something that would annoy me. Persuade me to buy this! :)

There are certain missions which are chapter specific. You can still do them, but you need to replay the chapter at once in full, I believe.

Side mission are time based (only available during certain chapters), but you can replay any chapter at any time so nothing is missable.

Also anyone with the US version? Does that version have terrible audio issues aswell? Voices/sound skipping, some characters talking with robot voices (Gina), the music in cars being so quiet you can hardly hear it?

SkylineRKR

I just beat Directors Cut. Great game, I couldn't stop playing since I got it.. I just wanted to unravel the mystery. The characters were downright amazing, among the best I've experienced in a game. You can see that this was being done by a team with a Triple A vision, but a budget that didn't let them flesh it out on the technical and gameplay side.

The gameplay isn't half bad, as the enemies pose no significant challenge in this game. I don't know if those annoying wall enemies were changed, but only they took a long time to kill if you had no Shotgun/Magnum/2 handed Melee weapon. 5 shotgun shots, 3 magnum shots or 2 whacks with a sword to be exact. Its easy enough to get the infinite sub machine gun and outside of those few enemies you'll need no other weapon.

The framerate is ropey at the very first room and at a crowded street, but it didn't bother me for the most part. All stages involving gunplay are mostly smooth sailing.

The only new scenes are the ones with the old man telling the story so I've read... that sounds bare bones. But I think some of the things and happenings in the game make sense thanks to it, or can be explained better at least. The post-game title screen is pretty neat as well.

zainetor

Banned
I just beat Directors Cut. Great game, I couldn't stop playing since I got it.. I just wanted to unravel the mystery. The characters were downright amazing, among the best I've experienced in a game. You can see that this was being done by a team with a Triple A vision, but a budget that didn't let them flesh it out on the technical and gameplay side.

The gameplay isn't half bad, as the enemies pose no significant challenge in this game. I don't know if those annoying wall enemies were changed, but only they took a long time to kill if you had no Shotgun/Magnum/2 handed Melee weapon. 5 shotgun shots, 3 magnum shots or 2 whacks with a sword to be exact. Its easy enough to get the infinite sub machine gun and outside of those few enemies you'll need no other weapon.

The framerate is ropey at the very first room and at a crowded street, but it didn't bother me for the most part. All stages involving gunplay are mostly smooth sailing.

The only new scenes are the ones with the old man telling the story so I've read... that sounds bare bones. But I think some of the things and happenings in the game make sense thanks to it, or can be explained better at least. The post-game title screen is pretty neat as well.

how about the new ending?

Scavenger

how about the new ending?
New ending short summary:
After having finished telling the story to his granddaughter Louise (Who is called Emily by Zach) Zach meets York again for the first time in many decades and York tells Zach that in New Orleans (I think, not entirely sure) strange events are happening. If I remember well there are three dialogue options at the end. I have no idea what each option does, but in the option I chose Zach decides to go to New Orleans with York. His granddaughter comes to bring dinner to Zach, but Zach has already left the house

SmithnCo

After having finished telling the story to his granddaughter Louise (Who is called Emily by Zach) Zach meets York again for the first time in many decades and York tells Zach that in New Orleans (I think, not entirely sure) strange events are happening. If I remember well there are three dialogue options at the end. I have no idea what each option does, but in the option I chose Zach decides to go to New Orleans with York. His granddaughter comes to bring dinner to Zach, but Zach has already left the house

Such a tease!

How are the controls in this? This game looks really interesting and I can put up with bad graphics, but I really can't stand poor controls in modern games.

Jenga

Banned
had a friend tell me this game is something like silent hill + twin peaks + lots of shootin

sound accurate? I guess the atmosphere is silent hillish?

Clevinger

had a friend tell me this game is something like silent hill + twin peaks + lots of shootin

sound accurate? I guess the atmosphere is silent hillish?

More Twin Peaks than Silent Hill. The Silent Hill-ish part is there are segments where everything is weird and dark and you fight zombie creatures. Then it switches back to a good Twin Peaks-like story with great characters, and you drive around town and can do quests and stuff.

Laranja

More Twin Peaks than Silent Hill. The Silent Hill-ish part is there are segments where everything is weird and dark and you fight zombie creatures. Then it switches back to a good Twin Peaks-like story with great characters, and you drive around town and can do quests and stuff.

This sounds so awesome. I can't wait for my copy to arrive! :D

I wish they'd improved the beard technology to let you go full Thorton

beard3zkvw.jpg

Side mission are time based (only available during certain chapters), but you can replay any chapter at any time so nothing is missable.

Also anyone with the US version? Does that version have terrible audio issues aswell? Voices/sound skipping, some characters talking with robot voices (Gina), the music in cars being so quiet you can hardly hear it?

There are other people reporting the audio issues as well.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/943433-deadly-premonition-the-directors-cut/66065388

And other people reporting no issues with framerate or skipping, etc

gforguava

That sounds kind of terrible.

I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune if they actually make another game but as of now that just feels like...
...a lead into a sequel that is just flying in the face of what came before. York coming back just ruins the ending of DP.

I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune if they actually make another game but as of now that just feels like...
...a lead into a sequel that is just flying in the face of what came before. York coming back just ruins the ending of DP.

Yeah, that sounds really.....silly to me. If nothing else the location is one I love, imagine we will find out soon enough how it'll fare.

"Hey, York, get in the car, we're going to the hospital."
-I'll drive

"OK, fine."
-walks off

"Well, we'll see you there then!"
-spends two days playing darts and sleeping

It is terrible. The new scenes don't really add anything to the game. There's about 5 of them and they're no more than a minute long each.

dreamfall

Well, GAF you've done it again!

I just ordered this from Amazon, fearing that I might not be able to find it later.

I played about 4 hours of the 360 version, before my console red-ringed. By the time I got it fixed, my attention shifted. I'm pretty excited about going back to all the quirky, ridiculousness.

Persona7

Banned
The press releases made the extra story content seem more substantial. Oh well.

Anyone use the in game camera yet? I still have not heard anything about it.

arttq

I was thinking that maybe the stuttering and freezing problems are being caused by differences in hard drives (game loading assets straight from hdd). I know that installing SSD helped with Skyrims problems.

This doesn't sound so bad to me but I can't imagine how it fits in with the tone of the games normal ending. Sounds like it should be some 100% Kingdom Hearts type of thing that plays much later not alongside the normal present-day story.

When does the last of these scenes play? After you decide to finally leave Greenvale (following the last moments with York at the Hotel and Zach crossing the bridge)?

Its the placement of these scenes that sounds so absurd.

Reknoc

I thought this was supposed to improve the game. The sound is echoy at points which is really irritating, and thought admittedly I haven't played the xbox version in a while but this feels like it runs way worse.

I thought this was supposed to improve the game. The sound is echoy at points which is really irritating, and thought admittedly I haven't played the xbox version in a while but this feels like it runs way worse.

It's basically better in every significant way but frame-rate and sound. Whether the echo was present in the 360 one but masked by a different mix, I don't know. Given that Sony explicitly mentioned "technical issues" in the email they sent out to digital pre-orderers announcing its delay, I'm hoping these can be rectified to some extent.

On doing a direct comparison, I realised that it looks a LOT better.

(although 'better' is still relative)

Reknoc

It's basically better in every significant way but frame-rate and sound. Whether the echo was present in the 360 one but masked by a different mix, I don't know. Given that Sony explicitly mentioned "technical issues" in the email they sent out to digital pre-orderers announcing its delay, I'm hoping these can be rectified to some extent.

On doing a direct comparison, I realised that it looks a LOT better.

(although 'better' is still relative)

Yea, it definitely looks nicer. Though, I thought the water at the beginning when you meet Emily and the camera pans out looked awful.

Scavenger

This doesn't sound so bad to me but I can't imagine how it fits in with the tone of the games normal ending. Sounds like it should be some 100% Kingdom Hearts type of thing that plays much later not alongside the normal present-day story.

When does the last of these scenes play? After you decide to finally leave Greenvale (following the last moments with York at the Hotel and Zach crossing the bridge)?

Its the placement of these scenes that sounds so absurd.
After Zach crosses the bridge the game switches over to the scene in which Zach is done telling the story and then the credits play. After that the scene in which York, Emily and all the victims hang out in the bar and the scene in which Zach meets York take place. For some reason the game won't let me replay that scene... That scene is replaced with some random characters like Zach's parents, Harry and Willie saying something and giving the player items like ammo and food. Replaying the chapter through chapter select also won't show me that part...

SkylineRKR

I did the same, so can't comment on the others hehe.

But about the new ending,

I think Zach dies when he rejoins York and the Goddesses. He's old and fragile so he couldn't have really gone away. He saw the people of his past in his home and walked into the light to join them as if he ascended. I found it kind of touching as he apparently led a long and peaceful life with marriage and a granddaughter... but all he probably really wanted was being with the Greenvale people again. Which he does at the end of his life. When saying he goes to New Orleans he probably does so as a spirit or guardian of some sorts.

I think this ending also explains some inconsistencies, such as Emily seeing and battling zombies while only he could. Its his story, and so his interpretation after all. He told Louise how Emily saved him and added some stuff in the mix. At least thats how I would view it.

Locke_211

Ok, I bought it! The GAME guy seemed impressed with my choice. I installed it during lunch so I can jump right in later and watched the intro pre-titles cutscene. Terrible graphics with wonderful music, atmosphere and direction. Looking forward to playing it later! I think I will try the Move controls.

Solidino

frame rate ridicoulus (20-25 fps imho)
sound effects horrible (voooooooooooo the car's sound...rotfl)
muisc is good but weird and then same 3 tracks for 3 hours of playing? Bah...
In the cutscense there are some glitches with sound, lags...
The map is the devil in flesh
i think the combat system was implemented for the masses
those are the 100 fixes they promised? oh my god, i feel disgusted.

Hmm, your reports of the new scenes/ending doesn't sound like they are worth a purchase of a PS3. Don't know if I feel relieved that I don't have to spend a couple of hundred bucks on this or saddened, because there isn't that much new to see after all.

randomwab

Hmm, your reports of the new scenes/ending doesn't sound like they are worth a purchase of a PS3. Don't know if I feel relieved that I don't have to spend a couple of hundred bucks on this or saddened, because there isn't that much new to see after all.

I love Deadly Premonition and have 100%'d it several times, but unless you explicitly want to replay it, just watch the new stuff on YouTube.

frame rate ridicoulus (20-25 fps imho)
sound effects horrible (voooooooooooo the car's sound...rotfl)
muisc is good but weird and then same 3 tracks for 3 hours of playing? Bah...
In the cutscense there are some glitches with sound, lags...
The map is the devil in flesh
i think the combat system was implemented for the masses
those are the 100 fixes they promised? oh my god, i feel disgusted.

Disgusted? It's still awesome!

R3oou.gif

SkylineRKR

The new scenes aren't worth it at all. I think this game isn't worth it if you have a 360 with the game already. Unless you are a complete Deadly Premonition nut that is.

But I only have a Ps3 and this was my first time with the game. I could easily ignore its shortcomings and enjoyed its sickingenly good atmosphere and characters instead. I think the biggest improvement are the controls, the 360 layout looks awkward.

It definitely isn't worth it for the extra stuff. There's about 10 minutes of new scenes and they don't really add anything to the game. The extended ending felt like something they lazily threw together as an excuse to make a sequel. Just Youtube the new stuff.

On top of that, the framerate is worse and there's bad audio issues. The improved camera controls are nice though.

I'd only recommend this if you haven't played the game yet. If you've already played the 360 version then the additional content doesn't make it worth a second purchase.

Locke_211

I've just got to Chapter 2 and set off to see the sheriff. Should it be obvious when I can run round looking for side-quests or should I just root around a little before heading there?

Also, the dialogue, the atmosphere and the personality are fantastic. But I find it hard to believe this is the graphically improved version!

It definitely isn't worth it for the extra stuff. There's about 10 minutes of new scenes and they don't really add anything to the game. The extended ending felt like something they lazily threw together as an excuse to make a sequel. Just Youtube the new stuff.

On top of that, the framerate is worse and there's bad audio issues. The improved camera controls are nice though.

I'd only recommend this if you haven't played the game yet. If you've already played the 360 version then the additional content doesn't make it worth a second purchase.

Damn. I'm double dipping to support SWERY, but this is disappointing to hear. I was mostly interested in the new story scenes in the Director's Cut, and I expected the game to still be a technical mess. I can deal with that. The "Worst In-Game Map In Gaming (TM)" not being fixed might be the worst part of all though. I'd pay $40 alone for a better map.

I've just got to Chapter 2 and set off to see the sheriff. Should it be obvious when I can run round looking for side-quests or should I just root around a little before heading there?

Also, the dialogue, the atmosphere and the personality are fantastic. But I find it hard to believe this is the graphically improved version!

Look up footage of the 360 version and be amazed! The Sheriff's Office is the best example of the improvements that I've seen yet.

Paid off this and Soul Sacrifice at Gamestop on the way home from class, hoping the patch fixes the framerate and really makes this the ultimate version. If nothing else I want the echo gone.

The new scenes aren't worth it at all. I think this game isn't worth it if you have a 360 with the game already. Unless you are a complete Deadly Premonition nut that is.

But I only have a Ps3 and this was my first time with the game. I could easily ignore its shortcomings and enjoyed its sickingenly good atmosphere and characters instead. I think the biggest improvement are the controls, the 360 layout looks awkward.
This is my problem. DP is by far the best game I've played this gen. I've completed it several times and love everything about it. I don't even care in the slightest about better controls or improved visuals, because I never played the game for smooth handling or eye candy (well, nobody did). It's just that the characters and the setting are so admirable that I can't get enough of them. I sure am disappointed in how the DC ended up and hardly expanded this side of the game at all.
But it's good to hear from you all, that it's definitely not worth the purchase, so I wont regret this choice later.

Drencrom

Why isn't the map fixated? So confusing when it's spinning around. And why are the QTEs so unforgivable when the actual gameplay is a breeze?

I'm really enjoying the story and the atmosphere but some of these mechanics are dumb as hell and they should be fairly easy to fix too. Why is the game running like ass at times anyway? Did they even play the start of the game (red room) or what? How could they think that was acceptable, i'm also pretty sure it's because of the ugly ass DOF that's in the background in the red room.

Does anyone know if Best Buy isn't going to sell this? I have store credit, but the Director's Cut doesn't show up in their system at all.

My understanding is that they are not going to sell it. I looked into the issue because I have gift cards I want to use. There is not listing in the system for the ps3 version at all and I can't get any kind of release date from them.

sunnz

Anyone got an idea of how to get DLC content ( I installed the transporter pack, can't find the cars), checked out the sarg...I mean generals shop but not there.

What I would do for this game to be on the PC were I can just power my way to 1080p and 60 fps.

I mean even for a console game it shouldn't be this bad.

All the annoyance I get from the graphics and performance do go away once I start interacting with the folks though, really does have a great story, characters and dialogue.

Top Bottom