• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

Just to clarify the Xenoblade thing.

The game runs at full 60hz, 30fps on an actual PAL Wii. The 50hz/25fps thing was an issue people had when trying to run it on Dolphin. Though, as InfiniteNine mentioned, I believe someone came up with a patch to fix it eventually.

Yup.

I can only agree with you. Technically the game is horrible, the driving mechanics and the map are as infuriating as the original version and I'm actually even forcing myself to play at this point. Also, I've spotted even more translation fuck-ups: some words aren't even translated and even a few of them are in German (???) while I'm playing the French version.
They didn't even fix the goddamn map? Didn't they say they fixed it?

Yuterald

Oh my god, this port sounds like a mess, I love it. I'm actually crazy enough to like the fact that the game is all over the place. The worse, technically, DP is, the better. Just in brace the awfulness. I played through the game once on 360 and got the Platinum on the Japanese version on PS3. In all seriousness, is the PS3 Director's Cut worse than the vanilla PS3 version? I find that mind blowing if true, lol!

The only thing I wanted them to fix, really, was the map. Is it truly as bad as it ever was? lol!

Considering how bad the aiming system in the orignal is I still think the PS3 version will be the one to play. The 360 version is a chore throughout, in nearly every possible way to control hurdles and bullet sponge enemies.

PS3 version may run worse but with the control fixes will still end up more enjoyable, hopefull the patch makes it the definite version without pause.

The aiming system is exactly the same in this.

As for the map - I think it's even worse than it originally was. When you press select it brings up a slightly bigger mini-map in the bottom corner, but the problem is you can only see a small amount more than the normal mini map. If you want the full size one you need to press start then scroll to "map" and select it. Having it tied directly to select was much more useful

edit:maybe "worse" isn't the right word, but having the full map on select rather than a mini map was much more convenient. better for checking where the cards/bones/people are

SkylineRKR

This can't be worse than the original PS3 version, that one was gash.

This game has better FOV, camera controls and the framerate has been decent so far. The start was awful, but locations like the lumber mill and gallery ran smoothly enough. Also outside in the pouring rain the framerate seemed to be decent (i did a bit of a trek to collect a flower).

The few encounters I had with the raincoat were running good as well.

The map is still shit but you can enlarge it which doesn't help as much as it should. But I use the full map more so yeah i might've prefered it if it was under select.

Alfredo

Has anyone gotten far enough in the game to tell if they changed the crawling shadows (wall ladies) at all? Easily the worst part of the original game (aside from tailing Nick).

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Has anyone gotten far enough in the game to tell if they changed the crawling shadows (wall ladies) at all? Easily the worst part of the original game (aside from tailing Nick).
Oh fuck me that was horrible. I almost don't want to play again just for that.

This can't be worse than the original PS3 version, that one was gash.

This game has better FOV, camera controls and the framerate has been decent so far. The start was awful, but locations like the lumber mill and gallery ran smoothly enough. Also outside in the pouring rain the framerate seemed to be decent (i did a bit of a trek to collect a flower).

The few encounters I had with the raincoat were running good as well.

The map is still shit but you can enlarge it which doesn't help as much as it should. But I use the full map more so yeah i might've prefered it if it was under select.

so the raincoat killer parts are fine now?

cause those were brutal in the original, like 10-15 fps brutal

lemmykoopa

I went in with an open mind and tried to like this game but its pretty terrible. The graphics, gameplay, driving sections, the shooting parts are all very weak and archaic, almost PSX like. I know that die hard DP fans will tell me that the story and characters make up for this but I can't see dragging myself playing this game for 20 hours just to experience what seems like a weak supernatural story and some mildly amusing characters (though I agree that some of Yorkes lines made me lol).

The graphics, gameplay, driving sections, the shooting parts are all very weak and archaic, almost PSX like.
You were warned.

I know that die hard DP fans will tell me that the story and characters make up for this but I can't see dragging myself playing this game for 20 hours just to experience what seems like a weak supernatural story and some mildly amusing characters (though I agree that some of Yorkes lines made me lol).
The story is not weak. If you won't play Deadly Premonition (which is fine considering how technically bad the game is), there are excellent Let's Plays on Youtube (Supergreatfriend's and the Giantbomb ones)

lemmykoopa

You were warned.

The story is not weak. If you won't play Deadly Premonition (which is fine considering how technically bad the game is), there are excellent Let's Plays on Youtube (Supergreatfriend's and the Giantbomb ones)

I'll give supergreatfriends video a whirl. I don't want to play the game but watching it being played might suit me more, also seeing how the game pans out later as I only got up to the
twins interrogation
part.

That's where I quit the 360 version.
Get the flamethrower, it seems to stunlock them in place until they die

so the raincoat killer parts are fine now?

cause those were brutal in the original, like 10-15 fps brutal
No, it's just the same. For the prolouge the game ran a lot worse than the 360 version, but after that it's pretty much been the same

Alfredo

The key to kill the wall ladies without special weapons was just to use melee weapons. Even though some of them look like they won't reach, they will. Melee weapons are way more effective than bullets on the wall ladies, and, really, you probably shouldn't be using your melee weapons on anything else because the durability is often so bad on them.

SkylineRKR

I had no trouble with the raincoat killer parts so far other than that they were pretty terrible QTE scenes.

The wall ladies, well, I'm not there yet but enemies are a complete pushover in Directors Cut so I wouldn't be surprised if they are also being toned down a great deal.

Oh fuck me that was horrible. I almost don't want to play again just for that.

That's where I quit the 360 version.

Did you guys had the
shotgun
at that point in the game? I don't remember them being hard, maybe because I had that weapon?

I'm at Chapter 9. I've finished the General's first quest (the one where you have to fetch some car part, which is Quest 40) but he won't give me his next quest (Quest 41). I've even slept for 48 hours but it did nothing.

Could you help me? I'd like to finish his quests before going further in the main story.

Edit: It seems you can only do one quest from a given set of quests per chapter.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This is why you use the melee weapons (quest spoilers)
use the guitar

That weapon is your best friend for life.

Sidequests in general are a must, basically. It's not possible in the Director's Cut, but I played Deadly Premonition on Hard(why? i ask myself to this day), but I never had an issue with those enemies. I think I had
an unlimited ammo flamethrower at the time
or something. The later in the game I got the easier everything was, due to just getting ridiculously overpowered weapons.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Someone needs to link or create a MUST GET TO MAKE THE GAME PLAYABLE guide.

1. Get the radio
2. get the flamethrower

etc. Does this exist?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

1. Get the radio
2. get the flamethrower

etc. Does this exist?
Supergreatfriend's Let's Play of Deadly Premonition. It's fantastic.

Papercuts said:
I think I had
an unlimited ammo flamethrower at the time
or something.
That works very well, too. Honestly, you're right; doing the sidequests and increasing your arsenal of weaponry is the key essential in this game.

OH GOD THE AIMING
Better or worse?

Necrovex

1. Get the radio
2. get the flamethrower

etc. Does this exist?

Oh god, THIS. I never got the radio during my first play through of DP. All that driving. I cried everytime it was time to drive York.

Yeah I really hated that part of the game. If you didn't have the flamethrower, prepared to be stuck in the same enclosed space for about 10 minutes, getting a hit from those shadows until that start moving to the other side of the room.

I hope it's much easier to combat them this time around or throw something to make them disappear altogether.

Also, If I have to be somewhere at a certain time but miss it, what happens? Do I just continue and go there the next day or some kind of punishment/ mission failed?

Most of the time, you'll just have to wait until the next day at the same time. I think only a couple of missions will require you to be there on time or else it's "Game Over".

sunnz

Agree with Kev, the way side missions work here are a little.. odd to me. What types of stuff should I get and what is there to collect, hard to find a list.

How do I get my DLC cars :p?

Also, times for when different stores are open would be awesome, all seem to be closed.

Also, If I have to be somewhere at a certain time but miss it, what happens? Do I just continue and go there the next day or some kind of punishment/ mission failed?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If there are DLC cars, you might have to go to Lysander's Junkyard for them. *shrug* It sounds like the most logical thing to me.

And lol, they didn't fix the aiming? Hahaha.

I don't want to watch hours and hours of video! Just need a do X Y Z checklist!
1) Get the radio by going to George's house early on (Chapter 2, iirc; doing the Nameless Flower quest).
2) Get the guitar as this is the weapon you'll be using most of the time in this game, I mean it! Do all the Lilly Ingram missions at the Milk Barn and hold onto it for a while. Don't give it back to Keith until postgame. You'll need it.
3) Do all of the side missions because they're worth it. It's not the game part of the game that's memorable for me for Deadly Premonition; it's the NPCs and main character interaction.
4) Get the flamethrower if you want, I dunno. I usually just stuck with the guitar. >.>
5) Do Emily's cooking missions at her house and get the Weather Doll, which acts as a Regen item.

List of locations (and if you click on the locations they'll show you the times) are here: http://deadlypremonition.wikia.com/wiki/Locations. Just don't scroll down further on the locations' wiki pages for fear of spoilers.

A&G Diner; 09:00 A.M. - 21:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.
Galaxy of Terror: 20:00 P.M. - 22:00 P.M.
Hotel: Open 24 hours.
Hospital: 09:00 A.M. - 21:00 P.M.
Gallery: 10:00 A.M. - 17:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.
Swery 65: 19:00 P.M. - 22:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.
Milk Barn: 08:00 A.M. - 20:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.
Gas Station: 10:00 A.M. - 20:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.

sunnz said:
If the cops tell you to go somewhere at X time? Nah, you can just keep doing what you want to do and skip it; there's no penalty. At least there wasn't in the original version. You can carry on with the story at your leisure while you're exploring or doing sidequests. There are just a few main story missions that require you to be there at the time they specify or else it's game over, but other than that, you can carry on at your own pace and do the mission on a next day at the same time.

If the cops tell you to go somewhere at X time? Nah, you can just keep doing what you want to do and skip it; there's no penalty. At least there wasn't in the original version. You can carry on with the story at your leisure while you're exploring or doing sidequests. There are just a few main story missions that require you to be there at the time they specify or else it's game over, but other than that, you can carry on at your own pace and do the mission on a next day at the same time.

...what

AMAZING

Top Bottom