• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

Not sure how I feel about the lowered difficulty. On the one hand it makes the game considerably more fun to play through and removes the tedium of bullet sponge enemies but on the other it makes using some of the special weapons almost useless. The first gun kills zombies in 2 head shots, hard to really feel any progression from there.

I'm really undecided if I should buy this or not. I already played through the 360 version and hold this game very close to my heart, so I'm stoked for the new content and to just own the game as a collector's item.

But there is no excuse why this director's cut does not run at 60 fps or at least a stable 30. Easier difficulty (the game was never hard to begin with) and sound issues also do not get me hyped. Swery, you could have done a better job here. :(

This looks so much better without that graphical filter. The sound echoing is pissing me off though. It is terrible through headphones.

Adjust the volume, and the echo is less of an issue. The mix is different to the original (hence the music not overpowering speech in cutscenes, a quick I actually enjoyed in the original. I think I have music on 100, sound effects at about 20-25 and voices 30-ish.

Jay Sosa

They lowered the difficulty? Why?

The only hard part was
running away from the last boss cause the analog stick is so shitty

Someone stole the delivery of mine off my front porch...

I'd love to see his face when he realizes what he has stolen. he'll probably give it back.

I'm really undecided if I should buy this or not. I already played through the 360 version and hold this game very close to my heart, so I'm stoked for the new content and to just own the game as a collector's item.

But there is no excuse why this director's cut does not run at 60 fps or at least a stable 30. Easier difficulty (the game was never hard to begin with) and sound issues also do not get me hyped. Swery, you could have done a better job here. :(

I'm really enjoying going through it again with the improved controls, makes a world of difference in the enjoyability of the game. But it really could and should have been so much more. Can't help but think given how long it's been since the 360 version that they could have put some more time into ironing out the kinks and improving the framerate. I wasn't expecting 60 but I was certainly expecting a locked 30 and what we got was an unpleasant surprise. Master Key pick up screen ran at less than 5 FPS :D Does look better in general though, but it really just puts into perspective how awful the 360 version looked. Biggest disappointment is the continued lack of any real AA(if any) though. Game still often looks like a jaggy mess, although it is better in general. Game is in 720P now. At least the menus run in 60 FPS, feels so bizarre going into them.

I don't regret buying it at all and once again the improved controls actually make it fun at times, which I can't say the 360 version ever was. Keep in mind I haven't played it since the game came out back in 2010(wow!), so the wait was long enough.

Question: Where is this phone listed in the OP? I can't find it anyway, was going to take a few screenshots with it and see how they turned out.

The only hard part was
running away from the last boss cause the analog stick is so shitty

The difficulty only affected how much damage enemies took and how must you lost. They were really just bullet sponges, at the same time this is really too easy as I went into above. 2 headshots with the FBI 9MM kills all of the zombies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I pre-ordered on the basis to get a sequel one day and support the company, but I did have a fear before release that a lot of the new content may be DLC.

They did say before release they wanted to include new cases and things like that in DLC, one common example being to buy a house in Greenvale that you can maintain and take care of. No word though if it was free or paid for DLC, and a mention if there was a want/big enough audience for this sort of stuff.

I'm really enjoying going through it again with the improved controls, makes a world of difference in the enjoyability of the game. But it really could and should have been so much more. Can't help but think given how long it's been since the 360 version that they could have put some more time into ironing out the kinks and improving the framerate. I wasn't expecting 60 but I was certainly expecting a locked 30 and what we got was an unpleasant surprise. Master Key pick up screen ran at less than 5 FPS :D Does look better in general though, but it really just puts into perspective how awful the 360 version looked. Biggest disappointment is the continued lack of any real AA(if any) though. Game still often looks like a jaggy mess, although it is better in general. Game is in 720P now. At least the menus run in 60 FPS, feels so bizarre going into them.

I don't regret buying it at all and once again the improved controls actually make it fun at times, which I can't say the 360 version ever was. Keep in mind I haven't played it since the game came out back in 2010(wow!), so the wait was long enough.

Question: Where is this phone listed in the OP? I can't find it anyway, was going to take a few screenshots with it and see how they turned out.

The difficulty only affected how much damage enemies took and how must you lost. They were really just bullet sponges, at the same time this is really too easy as I went into above. 2 headshots with the FBI 9MM kills all of the zombies.

Speaking of single digits...
Just wait until you're exploring Lysander's junkyard. ;)

I totally agree. I will probably still bite though. Maybe we can haunt Swery on twitter for a patch? ;)

I also saw that Master Key 5 fps thing on youtube, unbelieavable!

Jay Sosa

actually, when I think about that's probably a good thing. I mean the gameplay is horrible, it should've been an adventure without any gunplay anyway.

actually, when I think about that's probably a good thing. I mean the gameplay is horrible, it should've been an adventure without any gunplay anyway.

I think I've come to the conclusion that I agree, purely based on the fact that I'm having fun while the memories of playing through the 360 version still haunt me. Just think it's amusing that the special weapons no longer make getting through the game any easier really, when before if you didn't have them the game was nigh unbearable on hard.

Speaking of single digits...
Just wait until you're exploring Lysander's junkyard. ;)

Oh jeez. And I'll be spending actual minutes there as compared to 5 seconds in the Master Key screen.

Edit: God damn the hit detection on the guitar. No reason to use it now anyway given how easy the enemies are the pop off.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just a note...never NOT deal with Amazon directly.

Update I got at 3 in the morning:

To make this right for you, I've placed a new order that's listed below. There's no charge for this replacement order. We'll ship it to the same address as soon as possible. I've also upgraded the shipping method to Saturday Delivery at no additional charge.

That's customer service.

In case anyone was wondering about the framerate of the "Dual perspective" PIP sequences, surprising results! They actually run really well now, close to a constant 30 FPS. If only the rest of the game had that kind of framerate improvement!

Sorry about your game Y2K, glad they're shipping you another copy for free. That is indeed the kind of customer service I expect and have generally received from Amazon. Shame they charge sales tax in Texas now, no real reason to use them for games anymore now that they stopped the 20 dollar pre-order rewards for the most part. As you or someone else said, they got the marketshare and trust so they didn't need to anymore I suppose. Still a bummer, although with the taxes being charged and sure to increase in scale one would hope they'll start doing them again.

QaaQer

This makes me regret my purchase and makes me think it will be a backlog game. I hate easy games, so boring.

As to why, they probably used some metrics that showed a X% completion rate amongst players; and figured that to improve that number, they should dial it down because the only reason players stop playing a game is because it is too hard.

Pretty interesting game. Found myself hooked on it yesterday, driving around town and completing every side quest I could find.

Game is fucking hideous though lol, especially in 3D. Yeesh!
I also tried out Move and while the aiming was awesome (was able to snipe monsters with ease with the 9mm), it's terrible for nearly everything else. Acceleration is mapped to the Move button instead of the trigger for instance, and the QTE "waggle" action is incredibly hard to activate. Back to DS3!

Pretty interesting game. Found myself hooked on it yesterday, driving around town and completing every side quest I could find.

Game is fucking hideous though lol, especially in 3D. Yeesh!
I also tried out Move and while the aiming was awesome (was able to snipe monsters with ease with the 9mm), it's terrible for nearly everything else. Acceleration is mapped to the Move button instead of the trigger for instance, and the QTE "waggle" action is incredibly hard to activate. Back to DS3!

While acceleration being mapped to the move button and not the trigger is odd, it doesn't really bother me given my thumb rests there anyway. As for the waggle qte, I prefer it to the skin-burning analogue stick rotating for the chase sequences. I like that for the melee you have to a firm movement, but then again I barely use melee now as I've said given how fast enemies die. No point when you can just shoot them.

Is weird though that move controls can't be remapped, there's an option menu for doing so for the dualshock layout. Another hopeful fix for the patch which will never come.
eyeroll.gif

Not sure how I feel about the lowered difficulty. On the one hand it makes the game considerably more fun to play through and removes the tedium of bullet sponge enemies but on the other it makes using some of the special weapons almost useless. The first gun kills zombies in 2 head shots, hard to really feel any progression from there.
You've been playing too many RPGs.

You've been playing too many RPGs.

Heh, Deadly Premonition always came off as a really shit, basic RE4/5 clone in the combat segments rather than a traditional shooter to me. Instead of a headshot being an instant kill, it worked as a stun and as you progressed better weapons would decrease the amount needed to kill the enemy. Obviously things like the melee weapons instead of an in-depth melee/counter system set it aside, but there was a definite sense of progression in the ease and time it took to kill the grunts.

Of course, that progression was painful and awful.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I will say I don't hate the 'Otherworld' segments in the game. Sure, the combat is like a poor-mans RE4, but I actually did enjoy the abstraction of these stages, and would even argue a few of these segments are pretty fun.
My favorite was the mansion personally.
Though I feel is these were more survival/puzzle-based, it'd be a lot nicer.

Xander51

The framerate issues in this remind me of the early days of cross-platform PS3 games. The sound echo effect seems less like a bug to me and more like a cheap attempt at environmental audio/reverb, as the echo seems to change a little based on the environment. It's not bothering me that much, personally.

I never finished this on the Xbox 360 sadly, and as a fan of Twin Peaks and weird games I've always meant to go back. This is a much more enjoyable version of the game to me, and it's cool to see the new stuff and the smattering of re-done assets. Had to look side-by-side to realize some stuff was even re-done, as a lot of it still shows its PS2 roots. I don't hold this against the game at all as I think it's part of the charm. This will probably be one of my favorite issues of the year, technical issues aside. They don't break the game at all.

i sort of get the complaints about the difficulty, the original was annoying as hell until i grinned and beared it to get an infinite weapon and then it was all fuck yall bitches i've got a shotgun that never runs out of bullets. so there was a bit of satisfaction there.

the difficulty downgrade in the DC is a tacit admission by swery that the combat is trash lulz

vocab

Framerate is god awful, and makes the experience unbearable. The first room with the kids and the door runs at a complete slide show completely removing me from the games atmosphere. Aiming at enemies is straight up bad from the lack of smoothness. Audio is also jacked.

UGH

Done with the game until a patch. What a joke.

Framerate is god awful, and makes the experience unbearable. The first room with the kids and the door runs at a complete slide show completely removing me from the games atmosphere.

UGH

gets better after that

the red room intro + crash site are like the worst running areas in the game

gets better after that

the red room intro + crash site are like the worst running areas in the game

The thing I just have a hard time with is the audio stopping and starting during cutscenes. It makes the scenes feels jolted. Framerate wise, the game can be all over the place but that is fine for me. Anyone else getting these sudden audio stops and pauses during cutscenes?

SmithnCo

The first red room is indeed the worst running area for some reason. Not a good first impression but it gets better.

Laranja

For those who've played both this and Silent Hill Downpour, how do the technical problems compare? Is Deadly Premonition better, worse, equal, when it comes to framerate issues?

Xander51

For those who've played both this and Silent Hill Downpour, how do the technical problems compare? Is Deadly Premonition better, worse, equal, when it comes to framerate issues?

Well, the gameplay in this is much smoother/easier, and the only truly bad framerate problems I've seen were right at the beginning. It doesn't do the full on panic stop that Downpour would do when saving/loading. It's kind of a weird comparison to even make. Deadly Premonition has charming jank, whereas Downpour should have run much better being a UE3 game.

This game has the worst map implementation I have ever seen, and to think it's actually been "improved". Why is the mapped so zoomed in? It's impossible to tell where anything is in accordance to your location. I know hitting select brings up a second bigger map, but it is little help. Why can't I select a location on the map and the game create a wave point or something. Forget the FPS this is the most annoying part of the game. The game doesn't explain anything about side quests or how only some things are only available during rain.

The game is still amazing me though in every other regard. I want to continue the main story but I can't help but wander around town and do side quests because the game is so interesting.

I just lost about two hours of progress though because I starved to death. York was all "Maybe we should eat something Zach" and I'm thinking I'll wait for my health to deplete or a warning sign before I stop to eat something. I died in mid sentence while driving lol. I aint even mad.

The thing I just have a hard time with is the audio stopping and starting during cutscenes. It makes the scenes feels jolted. Framerate wise, the game can be all over the place but that is fine for me. Anyone else getting these sudden audio stops and pauses during cutscenes?

So is it just me having this weird freezing, audio drop issue? I do have PSN download but getting a physical copy today as well.

sunnz

This game has the worst map implementation I have ever seen, and to think it's actually been "improved". Why is the mapped so zoomed in? It's impossible to tell where anything is in accordance to your location. I know hitting select brings up a second bigger map, but it is little help. Why can't I select a location on the map and the game create a wave point or something. Forget the FPS this is the most annoying part of the game. The game doesn't explain anything about side quests or how only some things are only available during rain.

The game is still amazing me though in every other regard. I want to continue the main story but I can't help but wander around town and do side quests because the game is so interesting.

I just lost about two hours of progress though because I starved to death. York was all "Maybe we should eat something Zach" and I'm thinking I'll wait for my health to deplete or a warning sign before I stop to eat something. I died in mid sentence while driving lol. I aint even mad.

Yea, the map is pretty terrible and it rotates when you turn which gets annoying.

My main annoyance is certain people who are not at there homes when they should be, makes side missions impossible ( doing Becky's side mission)

Laranja

Well, the gameplay in this is much smoother/easier, and the only truly bad framerate problems I've seen were right at the beginning. It doesn't do the full on panic stop that Downpour would do when saving/loading. It's kind of a weird comparison to even make. Deadly Premonition has charming jank, whereas Downpour should have run much better being a UE3 game.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't mind the framerate problems on Downpour all that much, so I'm guessing I'll be fine with this game's.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think what I really like about this game is I can never tell what's intentional or not. Like, sometimes it just feels corny or out of place but then it could mean something else. Particularly, Emily in the background. I don't know if they're trying to show her off as being reacting to the circumstances around her, but it always just looks like she's thinking 'this goofy mother fucking fbi agent.'

I just wonder if Emily is meant to always be silently judging me or if it's just the awkward animation.

Xander51

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't mind the framerate problems on Downpour all that much, so I'm guessing I'll be fine with this game's.

Oh man yeah, if you could deal with Downpour this is fine. It's certainly fully playable. Just a little hitchy in certain areas.

just got done with the first chapter

the game makes a horrible first impression with the shit framerate in the red room and crash site but after you get used to where it hangs (basically any wide open areas or places where there's a ton of trees) it becomes rather palatable, the shadow sequences in
the hospital and lumber mill
were basically locked at 30 fps. so far the most obnoxious thing are the audio glitches.

also the new controls are a revelation for the combat, while the game is much much easier now the tacticle feedback from shooting your weapons is a lot better here than in the original. and with the combat being completely painless now it's far easier to push through and experience the game as a whole.

Picked this up even though I had my reservations, and...yeah. This game is in serious need of a patch. The audio hiccups and frame rate issues are pretty bad.

Okay, I've played the game until I've cleared what seems like the majority of the lumbermill (hey access, where is all the lumber?).

"Inter-dependency," "king George," etc ... The dialogue is so quirky and wonderful.
I hope the "tree worshiper" line in the beginning is just Japanese quirkiness and I didn't guess the plot of the game on the bridge, but I'm starting to think I'm right.

The gameplay could be better. This isn't a "it could have a bigger budget" statement. With a better gameplay director who understood how the game would look with the budget (and skills I guess) the team had, it could have been a decent horror game.

Design choices like having the ghost like enemies talk and using an RE4 clone system really do away with anything else they were going for. The combat controls are fine, but how it's handled is out of place. The "don't breathe" element had promise. It's also pretty clear that there's a Silent Hill 2 influence, straight down to the camera when "he" appears.

Beyond that, the puzzles are pretty terrible. It would be easier to suggest the game focus on them if it didn't have things like the chess puzzle suggest a piece passing another piece while having that remain completely meaningless
because you just input the name of the pieces as they appear in the text, not in any meaningful order

Aside from my opinions on the game's design, there are framerate slowdowns but nothing major outside of the very beginning, like others have suggested. It's really not a big deal in the game so far.

slasher_thrasher21

Too lazy to quote you, but I've always wanted the DVD gold box set! Congrats on that.

Dueck

Banned
I really wish somebody would make an Agent Dale Cooper game, where you just go around solving cases in different chapters.

Amazon promo code doesnt work for my game. Oh well.

I haven't experienced any audio drops yet. The only thing I noticed was the title screen music skipping with the rain. Also, the red room had some low frames as well as the first area of the game, but nothing that surprised me from this game. :lol

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I´m really enjoying the game but what does shaving and changing your suits do???

Shaving... shaves. Your suits can get dirty and you can switch to others over time to clean the dirty one. You want to look good and rugged to impress Emily, right?

Jenga

Banned
with all the flaws of the game i can't help but love every inch of it

the game kinda reminds me of a twin peaks-ish/silent hill version of no more heroes

and i adore it for it

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
PR Manager for the game was in my stream on Twitch and said Rising Star is looking to patch the game when he was asking me questions.

Top Bottom