• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

Amazon said "just kidding" and moved my order back so it looks like I'll be playing it tomorrow as well.

The wait is killing me!
Actually, I'm perfectly fine with more Romancing Saga 2

Bittercup

You can only do one side quest from the same chain of side quests within a single Chapter. Come back after you've finished a mission from the main story.
Oh, thanks. Then the guide was wrong. It said "even though a character might have multiple quests for you, finishing one means that they will not give you another right away until you sleep/smoke for another 24 hours OR until you complete the current mission and replay the same chapter or a different one."
http://planetredwood.webs.com/beginnersmanual.htm

So what's the best approach? Replay chapter 2 over and over until I have all side missions, then continue the main story until new side missions are available? I don't want to miss anything.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm kinda confused with the release date of this game. Play-Asia lists this game will be out on May 2 (which is today in my time).

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm kinda confused with the release date of this game. Play-Asia lists this game will be out on May 2 (which is today in my time).
The official release date was April 30th, each individual store's release date is just a matter of when they receive their copies. When I preordered my copy, the clerk at GameStop told me the release date was May 2nd, but their shipment came today so I grabbed it a day ahead of time.

SxP

So what's the best approach? Replay chapter 2 over and over until I have all side missions, then continue the main story until new side missions are available? I don't want to miss anything.

You can replay chapter 2 if you really want the Grecotch as fast as you can, but you can get the wrench without a replay, so I personally would just replay everything you can do up to that point in chapter 7. Because all you have to do in chapter 7 to finish the chapter is go to the hotel and sleep. Which makes it easier to replay than chapter 2.

Bittercup

You can replay chapter 2 if you really want the Grecotch as fast as you can, but you can get the wrench without a replay, so I personally would just replay everything you can do up to that point in chapter 7. Because all you have to do in chapter 7 to finish the chapter is go to the hotel and sleep. Which makes it easier to replay than chapter 2.
Thanks :) I have the wrench already. I just wanted to plan a bit what's the best way for the side missions to not miss anything. But I probably just continue to play the main story. It seems there are enough chapters where I could continue the part time quest chain even without replays and only replay if I miss something.
I don't think chapter 7 is possible for those side missions. Most of the earlier ones say 2-4 and 6-9 and so on but not 7.

Locke_211

Thanks :) I have the wrench already. I just wanted to plan a bit what's the best way for the side missions to not miss anything. But I probably just continue to play the main story. It seems there are enough chapters where I could continue the part time quest chain even without replays and only replay if I miss something.
I don't think chapter 7 is possible for those side missions. Most of the earlier ones say 2-4 and 6-9 and so on but not 7.

But 7 is within 6-9 :)

A question about replaying chapters. God this game is bad for side-quest anxiety. I'm at the start of chapter 5. If I replay chapter 2, I will have the items with me I currently had at the start of chapter 5? And once my chapter 2 replay is done with, I can start right again at the start of chapter 5 with the new items from my chapter 2 replay?

TheGrue

Tried to use my preorder code from Amazon and it says it is invalid. Anyone else have this problem? This was doing it through the Sony online store on a computer. I guess I could try it on the PS3 to be sure.

IronRinn

My copy should be arriving today. Sucks to hear about the framerate issues. Does anyone know if the trophies for beating each difficulty level stack or do you still have to play through it 3 times, as with the Xbox version?

Tansut

Tried to use my preorder code from Amazon and it says it is invalid. Anyone else have this problem? This was doing it through the Sony online store on a computer. I guess I could try it on the PS3 to be sure.
Mine isn't working either, I tried it both on the computer and through the PS3. :-/

Blizzje

What is the deal with the EU PSN delay for this? First it said 26th of april, then it moved to the 1st of may, and now it says the 4th...

Can I read up on this somewhere? Also, are they kidding with 'Technical issues'? Are they expecting to magically boost the framerate to 60 before saturday?

Email sent out to pre-orderers, I believe.

Here: http://shshatteredmemories.com/gree...-buggy-and-the-eu-digital-release-is-delayed/

Our records show that you have pre-ordered ‘Deadly Premonition: Director’s Cut Preorder Pack’ from PlayStation®Store. We regret to inform you that due to technical issues, Deadly Premonition will miss its expected release date of 26th April. We are working hard to resolve these issues as quickly as possible. Unfortunately we are unable to provide a revised release date at this time. For the most up-to-date information please visit the product page, which can be found here:
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwo…00000000000397
Be advised your pre-order has not been cancelled and as of 24/04/2013 your Sony Entertainment Network Wallet has not been charged. The charge date for your pre-order will be revised based on the new release date. If you require any assistance, please visit the PlayStation Support page which can be found here: http://eu.playstation.com/support/

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

The PlayStation®Store Team

Bittercup

Can I read up on this somewhere? Also, are they kidding with 'Technical issues'? Are they expecting to magically boost the framerate to 60 before saturday?
Besides the email I don't think there's any official explanation.
But some pages ago xdr posted some problems with the EU version playing in French: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=56368772&postcount=648
I wonder how this got through certification. Maybe for PSN release there's additional certification and now needs patching before it can be released. Just my speculation.

Jenga

Banned
for a sidequest heavy game the characters sure like to remind you to get your ass moving on the main quest

So I never did all the side quests in the original and would like to on this one. Am I readying correctly further up in the thread that the only way to do this is to replay certain chapters again right away?

Varshes

Tried it with Move today, the actual aiming is just fine, but having to use the motion controller to turn the normal camera axis instead of the second analog stick is what would hold me back from playing the entire game using Move. The odd placement of the START button on the Move controller also makes skipping certain repetitive cutscenes/animations a bit of a hassle (i.e. getting in the car, cutting off the 'get an item' screen, etc.).

I'll probably play a bit more with the Move and then go back to the DS3.

Yuterald

So I never did all the side quests in the original and would like to on this one. Am I readying correctly further up in the thread that the only way to do this is to replay certain chapters again right away?

I believe you can just wait until you finish the game and then go for all side quests through chapter select. Just remember that a lot of quest lines require you to finish the current chapter you selected in order to start the subsequent quest within that thread. What this means is that even though multiple quests are available during certain chapters you have to replay the chapter a bunch of times in order to access them all. It's an odd design decision, for sure. What's cool though is that all unlocks/rewards are carried between chapters so your inventory almost acts like a system file.

A pro/anal retentive/completionist/I want everything unlocked beyond what is required for the Platinum Trophy tip.
DO NOT HAND OVER THE DOG'S BONES ONE AT A TIME. HAND ALL OF THEM AT ONCE IN ORDER TO UNLOCK AN INFINITE MAGNUM. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO OBTAIN THIS HIDDEN WEAPON. BE WARNED!

Jay Sosa

I believe you can just wait until you finish the game and then go for all side quests through chapter select. Just remember that a lot of quest lines require you to finish the current chapter you selected in order to start the subsequent quest within that thread. What this means is that even though multiple quests are available during certain chapters you have to replay the chapter a bunch of times in order to access them all. It's an odd design decision, for sure. What's cool though is that all unlocks/rewards are carried between chapters so your inventory almost acts like a system file.

I didn't even realize that when I played the 360 version, that kinda sucks. Replaying an chapter during a playthrough completely destroys the immersion. and that second one is just stupid.

A pro/anal retentive/completionist/I want everything unlocked beyond what is required for the Platinum Trophy tip.
DO NOT HAND OVER THE DOG'S BONES ONE AT A TIME. HAND ALL OF THEM AT ONCE IN ORDER TO UNLOCK AN INFINITE MAGNUM. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO OBTAIN THIS HIDDEN WEAPON. BE WARNED!

Yeah that's definetly confusing. So it impossible to get them all done in one playthrough. Damn. I never got the radio that people kept saying to get. Never knew how to start that.

SmithnCo

Don't you have to have Willie steal all seven bones? That's how I unlocked it. You can have him steal them before then too, just don't hand any of them over until you have Willie steal them all.

Yuterald

Yeah, when I first played the 360 version I had no clue how to start/finish certain quests too. I only did a vanilla playthrough on the 360 and I got my Plat and saw all the quests on the Red Seeds Profile Asian version. I would just suggest playing the game as it's meant to be played. Explore at your leisure, try and find a quest or two during a chapter, and play for the story and characters. Don't feel obligated to replay the same chapter over and over again to see a quest thread to its conclusion (unless you really want to!).

Its gotta be set to Easy. This version is crazy easy. I'm like half way through and I have not yet had to use a medpack yet.

Only 3 contiunes. And only because some of the QTEs are quite cruel and result in insta kills.
It's said to be between easy and normal. From what I've heard it sounds like the monsters are killed even faster than on easy in the original though.

Yeah, when I first played the 360 version I had no clue how to start/finish certain quests too. I only did a vanilla playthrough on the 360 and I got my Plat and saw all the quests on the Red Seeds Profile Asian version. I would just suggest playing the game as it's meant to be played. Explore at your leisure, try and find a quest or two during a chapter, and play for the story and characters. Don't feel obligated to replay the same chapter over and over again to see a quest thread to its conclusion (unless you really want to!).
This is pretty much how I played it too. I tried to get as many side quests as possible before the next day/appointment for the main quest. I think I passed only once on them due to a side quest. Anyway, I think it's much better to follow the cycle. If planned smartly early in the game, it should even be possible to get every side quest done without any replaying of chapters or repeating days.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
UPS just stopped by!
mgIrHXtl.jpg

Anything I should know before I start in a little while?

Yuterald

Don't you have to have Willie steal all seven bones? That's how I unlocked it. You can have him steal them before then too, just don't hand any of them over until you have Willie steal them all.

Yeah, when you approach Willie he will take whatever bones you have, right? So, you need to have all 7 in your inventory before you activate the quest, I believe. lol, it's been awhile since I've played this game. Do some extra research just to make sure as my memory may not be entirely clear, =D

SmithnCo

Yeah that's definetly confusing. So it impossible to get them all done in one playthrough. Damn. I never got the radio that people kept saying to get. Never knew how to start that.

Get a flower when it's raining (check the map). Then give it to George when he's in his house at night. The radio makes traveling way easier, definitely a must-get.

Yeah, when you approach Willie he will take whatever bones you have, right? So, you need to have all 7 in your inventory before you activate the quest, I believe. lol, it's been awhile since I've played this game. Do some extra research just to make sure as my memory may not be entirely clear, =D

Yeah, you have to have Willie steal all seven. If he steals them before you have seven, you can get them back at his doghouse and have him steal them again when you have seven to get the inf. Magnum. But DON'T put the bones into the grave at the graveyard or else Willie can't steal them.

fvng

Don't know if it was mentioned yet and this is super minor but I want to thank whoever designed the box art for figuring out a creative way of obscuring the giant PS Move logo on the top right of the cover.

Jeez, the expresso suit is 27 MBs. I assume most of the other cool costumes shown off before release are DLC? How many new ones are actually included in game?

SkylineRKR

Its gotta be set to Easy. This version is crazy easy. I'm like half way through and I have not yet had to use a medpack yet.

Only 3 contiunes. And only because some of the QTEs are quite cruel and result in insta kills.

I never died in a fight either. Its almost impossible to do so, unless you're standing still and never shoot at all or something. QTE's are the only difficult thing about the action. But its a plus as the gameplay in this is nothing to write home about. It was even better off without enemies at all.

Locke_211

I liked Chapter 5 as a nice change of pace. A quite arduous QTE section towards the end. And though the gameplay is pretty basic, a couple of sections seemed really innovative.

Overall the game is great, so far. The graphics might be a 2/10 (though the more you play this, the more acceptable they seem) but the writing and the scope and the atmosphere are all 9/10 for me.

Smoked the darts quest at SWERY-65. Still on chapter 1, just mostly driving around collecting cards and looking for side quests. About to head to sleeping spot to fast forward through this friggin' rain. It has the whole town shut down.

JoeFenix

Has anyone been able to redeem their Amazon.com promo code for the Field Agent outfit?

Mine just doesn't want to work for some reason.

Top Bottom