• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

Framerate looks pretty bad. Worse than the 360 version of the original (how did the JP PS3 version run).

There is a walkthrough of the first area and intro movie on Youtube. Intro movie looks much nicer than I remember at times but seems to be spliced with older footage too? Shame because it seems that particular environment has received a lot of attention in this release.

Seeing as the Ingram twins don't view her in the same way everyone else does its almost fitting really.

Thankfully I don't think the rest of the game uses pre-rendered cutscenes very much.

Alfredo

Framerate looks pretty bad. Worse than the 360 version of the original (how did the JP PS3 version run).

Original PS3 version runs VERY POORLY. It's obvious the game's engine wasn't optimized for the PS3. Not only was the framerate worse, but the audio was, too. There was this weird echo applied to sound, and it doesn't sound like they fixed that in the Director's Cut, based on the videos that have been released.

I doubt the Director's Cut will run much better, so expect it to run much worse than the original 360 version.

I'm still excited, though.

LProtag

I have classes Tuesday night and Wednesday night, so I won't be able to play it until Thursday anyway... but still.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, that blows. That was one of the reasons why I went with Gamestop instead as I can just pick the game up in the morning and play it day of release.

I wonder though, if this is one of those rare weird games that's not street dated and it'll SHIP Tuesday. That might be why Amazon doesn't have day 1.

Original PS3 version runs VERY POORLY. It's obvious the game's engine wasn't optimized for the PS3. Not only was the framerate worse, but the audio was, too. There was this weird echo applied to sound, and it doesn't sound like they fixed that in the Director's Cut, based on the videos that have been released.

I doubt the Director's Cut will run much better, so expect it to run much worse than the original 360 version.

I'm still excited, though.
Still excited as well after watching that video (new stuff in it) but its a shame there isn't a PC release of this. I think it would do well on the platform and a nice PC could rip its way through the framerate issues.

Oh well. In a game like this I don't think I'll notice it after a few minutes anyway.

Persona7

Banned
I wonder though, if this is one of those rare weird games that's not street dated and it'll SHIP Tuesday. That might be why Amazon doesn't have day 1.

Yeah, I was wondering about that with gamestop as well as they sometimes get games a day or two late.

TripleSun

I can never trust GameStop, unless they've fixed their act about being unreliable about having games release day. I used to get stuck with a store who wouldn't get their copies until much later that week of release.

Raoh

I'm going to buy every piece of DLC and PSN content for this game...including the Playstation Home items. >_>

K7A2M4c.jpg

That's one cool Home Avatar Costume.

I'm picking this up but probably not day one.

So I have a friend who loves Twin Peaks but can't play horror games.

Should I recommend this?

It's not scary. There are some creepy chase scenes, but that's about it. The only thing that's actually pretty scary is the mad wild dog enemy. They're these huge doberman-like things with red eyes and they can spawn randomly and catch you off guard. They only appear during the "evil hour" and in the open world.

Vaguely related, what do you get for completing all of the horrid races?

I think you get a few trading cards which are required for several sidequests.

After this game was originally announced as Rainy Woods I thought it had been canceled until someone let me know years after that it was released as Red Seeds Profile and Deadly Premonition. Now I have it preordered. Can't wait.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
they... removed the difficulty levels? why?

manzo

Looks a LOT cleaner in the screenshots. The 1024x576 that the original ran at was vomit-indulging on a projector. The IQ was one of the worst I've ever seen.

they... removed the difficulty levels? why?

Probably due to all the complaints the higher difficulty levels received. I heard the difficulty level is between easy and normal, so they're probably going for more of an experience rather than a challenge. The combat sections weren't very fun anyway, and the bosses were annoying. I only played on easy, though.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Do the changes to the controls include changing the controls in the driving sequences?

I hope they didn't change that, because I have Stockholm syndrome.

Do the changes to the controls include changing the controls in the driving sequences?

I hope they didn't change that, because I have Stockholm syndrome.

After finishing the Vinny/Jeff giant bomb endurance run of the game, I popped my copy back in to test the driving because it seemed to not be that poor as I remembered when they were playing it. I couldn't have been more wrong, the handling is hell ;-;

So glad my suggestion for a title got picked, since this is with no contest my favorite game this generation.

Now I'm just curious how the DC compares to the original and if it's worth getting a PS3 for. In my opinion nothing would have really required any fixing. Okay, the shooting was a mess, but it's really easy to just run pass almost every enemy. So it's not really an issue. The extra content is what interests me the most.

sunnz

How could is this game at just.. exploring?

How large is the map? Are there random stuff hidden around?

Or more like mafia 2, as in the world is open but best to keep to the missions.

Bittercup

I'm so excited. This was one of the games I missed most when I didn't have a Xbox360 but then I had one and the DC for PS3 was announced so I decided to wait a while longer.
I'm glad I haven't read any spoilers so far and only know the game has similarities to Twin Peaks and that's enough for me to get excited :D
And Shopto already shipped my order today, yay.

How could is this game at just.. exploring?

How large is the map? Are there random stuff hidden around?

Or more like mafia 2, as in the world is open but best to keep to the missions.

The main characters all follow their own daily routines, and I think it's real-time too. The map is pretty big, so much in fact that you'll probably want to use the quick-travel item unless you want to drive around for a long time. As for hidden things, there are items and collectibles scattered around. During the "evil hour" the map becomes filled with the shadow enemies and they'll endlessly respawn until dawn.

I think the best thing about this game is the story and characters, both of which are quite memorable and entertaining.

Lyriell

You know I bought a US xbox just for this game (I live in Australia)
And it was worth it...

When I heard of the directors cut coming out, I pre-ordered it on Amazon.

And just now I realise this time it's coming out in my country... DOH.

sunnz

The main characters all follow their own daily routines, and I think it's real-time too. The map is pretty big, so much in fact that you'll probably want to use the quick-travel item unless you want to drive around for a long time. As for hidden things, there are items and collectibles scattered around. During the "evil hour" the map becomes filled with the shadow enemies and they'll endlessly respawn until dawn.

I think the best thing about this game is the story and characters, both of which are quite memorable and entertaining.

As long as the driving physics are good ( doesn't seem like it) I would love to just drive around lol.

Either way cant wait!

jgminto

I actually enjoyed just driving around. The mechanics aren't technically great but I felt good when I was able to master the handbrake. Only ever really used the fast travel when I needed to get somewhere on the other side of town or someplace quickly.

I really need to get a PS3. I'm currently on my third play through of the original, still love it. Really excited to see the new content. I also hope they fix Grecotch. Such a beast weapon in the original, makes the worst enemies in the game a complete joke. But the hit detection is literally hit and miss.

I'm very curious to see how the changes affect the game.

The only thing I really wanted them to change was being able to see more of the map

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I actually enjoyed just driving around. The mechanics aren't technically great but I felt good when I was able to master the handbrake. Only ever really used the fast travel when I needed to get somewhere on the other side of town or someplace quickly.

Saying the mechanics aren't technically great is an understatement, but I'm with you on it being enjoyable.

The moment I decided I liked Deadly Premonition was early in the game when I offered to drive a couple of cops across town and then proceeded to weave erratically between lanes, crash into people's fences, run red lights, and take shortcuts through people's yards.

By the time we arrived at the hospital I could really sympathize with them for thinking I was an awkward weirdo.

Alfredo

Once you get York's car, driving isn't so bad. Sometime it handles too good. And it's always hilarious when you somehow flip your car.

Laranja

Any tips for a first time player?

I remember reading that the combat can be frustrating and that it'd be advisable for some to play on easy mode. Is that so?

Necrovex

Any tips for a first time player?

I remember reading that the combat can be frustrating and that it'd be advisable for some to play on easy mode. Is that so?

No one should play DP for its amazing gameplay. I would recommend playing it on easy.

Top Bottom