• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

Gbraga

Er, it's pretty obvious they both ripped off Twin Peaks. Deadly Premonition is so much like Twin Peaks it's not even funny... well actually it's hilarious.

But I would love to play that game. No English version (fan translation?) exists?

And I remember reading that the game became Deadly Premonition after being completely remade because it was too much like Twin Peaks when it was Rainy Woods. I can only think it was a complete ripoff. And it would still be godlike.

Fresh from throwing down my pre-order, and I can't wait. Already cleared it on the 360 but I'll take any chance to show this game more love. Also seriously looking forward to the new content. Went through Amazon for convenience, but kinda wish I went through Gamestop if only because I think that espresso suit is suave as hell.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
And I remember reading that the game became Deadly Premonition after being completely remade because it was too much like Twin Peaks when it was Rainy Woods. I can only think it was a complete ripoff. And it would still be godlike.

I wonder if the sheriff was more like Harry S. Truman. I always thought it was odd how different he was. :p

People on a well known Spanish forum who already got the game are saying that the game is literally unplayable...
Nonsense. Admittedly, I'm not overly sensitive to frame rate issues, but I've played up through chapter 6, and the game is perfectly playable. Frame rate chugs a few spots (I've mostly noticed it during object pick-up screens of all things), but it's nothing like, say, late game/DLC Fallout 3. That was nasty frame rate problems.

Is this basically something that isn't going to phase someone who regularly plays PS1 era games? There's noteable slowdown in Banjo Tooie, but I'm still able to enjoy that game.

re: mizzurna falls *ahem* you're welcome

BlackLagoon's post is a bit reassuring, seems the red room intro is making a bad first impression on people

Moze

Banned
Nonsense. Admittedly, I'm not overly sensitive to frame rate issues, but I've played up through chapter 6, and the game is perfectly playable. Frame rate chugs a few spots (I've mostly noticed it during object pick-up screens of all things), but it's nothing like, say, late game/DLC Fallout 3. That was nasty frame rate problems.

How improved are the controls?

Really strange this is coming out several years after the 360 version and at twice the price. That's not going to stop me from buying it again though.

Zuly

I forgot I pre-ordered this game.
KuGsj.gif

Now I can mark it on my calendar so I don't forget to pick it up. I doubt I'll have much time to play with finals coming up.

How improved are the controls?
Never played the original, only seen bits of the Endurance Runs. But I'd guess, not a whole lot. It's half-assed Resident Evil 4 style, with no shooting without aiming or moving while aiming a gun. Aiming feels awkward, and is on the right stick, which seems weird to me for a game with those controls. I think it's all the Yakuza: Dead Souls that I've played recently that made me expect aiming on the left stick on my janky Japanese shooters.

The sections with altered perspective seem to have been removed though, so the controls stay consistent throughout the game. I think the car controls are different, not sure how exactly they compare. They're not exactly great though.

Still, I'm enjoying the game, and it's not exactly hard enough for the controls to be much of a bother - they generally get the job done.

jgminto

A better map would definitely be a cool feature but it's not like I need a map to get around Greenvale anymore, just for sidequests.

Persona7

Banned
Just noticed the European digital version was delayed until May 1st, I wonder what happened?

Maybe they have a patch for the game going out in the first week.

SkylineRKR

I haven't played the old game but the controls are passable. You can auto aim with R2, which points your gun crosshair right at an enemy. Aiming yourself is janky.

I don't know about a new map, is it the zoomed version by pressing select again? It does work but obstructs a part of your screen.

The framerate is nasty but not unplayable at all, I think its on par with Dragons Dogma which still is kind of inexcusable as DP looks like shit, honestly speaking.

Sound problems could be true. In some buildings there is a loud buzzing noise, dunno wtf it is. But very good game still, glad I bought it.

jgminto

I haven't played the old game but the controls are passable. You can auto aim with R2, which points your gun crosshair right at an enemy. Aiming yourself is janky.
That's definitely new.

I don't know about a new map, is it the zoomed version by pressing select again? It does work but obstructs a part of your screen.

When you pressed back on the xbox it just went to the map in the main menu. Does the map in the main menu zoom out far and does it still rotate "north" to where you're looking?

Persona7

Banned

The framerate is nasty but not unplayable at all, I think its on par with Dragons Dogma which still is kind of inexcusable as DP looks like shit, honestly speaking.

Sound problems could be true. In some buildings there is a loud buzzing noise, dunno wtf it is. But very good game still, glad I bought it.

Have you used the in-game camera yet? I wonder if it drops images in the XMB photo folder.

Word of warning for anyone who has pre-ordered the game from somewhere that is offering DLC codes, don't download them from the PSN store until after you have booted the game up and installed the game data first. If you download the DLC first the game will give a warning that the currently installed game data is incorrect or something along those lines and it won't start up until you delete the DLC.

pa22word

The French menus and subtitles are full of translation errors, typos and character encoding glitches.

lol reminds me that in the original 360 localization the english subs were full of errors all over the place...and all the VA was done in english in the first place XD

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
On Mizzurna Falls:

I can't believe people are talking about it! I actually own a copy, so a few things I should note for people going in:

-You can get by without knowing Japanese, but I feel when I play it I'm missing a big part of the title. The dialogue, when spoken, is in English (well, Engrish), but all the in-game text isn't. I'd say imagine playing Harvest Moon or Deadly Premonition but you couldn't read any of the text.
-The game is buggy. I've had hilarious times especially with the cars. Pushing people forward by driving into them, watching the AI cars spazz out either because of something I did or sometimes just naturally.
-The world is interesting, but seems kind of barren at first. Once you get a better understanding of the town, it starts to make more sense though.
-The music is nice. I recall liking it quite a bit for a PS1 game.

My memory of it is foggy, so I should probably try playing it again. I remember scenes involving fighting and bears and the like.

Lagunamov

I'm getting framerate issues with this game. Is my Playstation 3 dying? Because looks like that I'm trying to run the game on a PC with low specs... There are not framerate dps, it's how the game is running around 15 fps all the time.

On Mizzurna Falls:

I can't believe people are talking about it! I actually own a copy, so a few things I should note for people going in:

-You can get by without knowing Japanese, but I feel when I play it I'm missing a big part of the title. The dialogue, when spoken, is in English (well, Engrish), but all the in-game text isn't. I'd say imagine playing Harvest Moon or Deadly Premonition but you couldn't read any of the text.
-The game is buggy. I've had hilarious times especially with the cars. Pushing people forward by driving into them, watching the AI cars spazz out either because of something I did or sometimes just naturally.
-The world is interesting, but seems kind of barren at first. Once you get a better understanding of the town, it starts to make more sense though.

My memory of it is foggy, so I should probably try playing it again. I remember scenes involving fighting and bears and the like.

Red Seeds Profile was fine without any English text, but I think I would have been lost without a guide (at least for sidequests). I also felt that I was missing out on a few things because of the language barrier.

Damn squirrel keychains.

On Mizzurna Falls:

Is this a setting you have to change or is it English by default? Seems kinda weird and unnecessary for a game released only in Japan to have recorded English voice acting.

Top Bottom