• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

T.O.P

Banned
GG4_SinnersSandwichCOMP.jpg

Yup, i'll defenitely try this this tonight

SkylineRKR

DP is pretty great so far, really enjoy it. The performance in the red room was awful, giving a bad first impression but after that its very doable and playable. I have not played RSP and no 360 version either, but there doesn't seem to be any challenge at all. Enemies die after one swing with the pipe, or after 3 or so gun shots. There is no difficulty setting. But its fine, the gameplay isn't the meat of this game (although its better than impressions seemed to call it, perhaps a DC improvement) but its rather the atmosphere and experience and it really delivers there!

ranmafan

Looking forward to playing this again for the additions. Ive actually been playing through Red Seeds Profile to get the platinum trophy for it this past few weeks in anticipation of playing the directors cut. Even though Ive been playing the original a lot this week, I certainly will go back to it again once the new copy arrives.

Necrovex

Been trying to convince my friend to give this a game a try, I'll probably lend him my copy once I finish this glorious game again.

My current goal with him is to convince him to watch Twin Peaks. Going to shove the gold edition on him later today.

Any tips for a first time player?

I remember reading that the combat can be frustrating and that it'd be advisable for some to play on easy mode. Is that so?
Melee weapons are stronger than firearms.

Do the side-quests that give you the guitar with infinite durability.

DP is pretty great so far, really enjoy it. The performance in the red room was awful, giving a bad first impression but after that its very doable and playable. I have not played RSP and no 360 version either, but there doesn't seem to be any challenge at all. Enemies die after one swing with the pipe, or after 3 or so gun shots. There is no difficulty setting. But its fine, the gameplay isn't the meat of this game (although its better than impressions seemed to call it, perhaps a DC improvement) but its rather the atmosphere and experience and it really delivers there!

even on the 360 version the enemies at the beginning were really easy

there's one particular enemy that recurs later on that was a pain in the ass if you didn't have infinite weapons

haikira

Excuse my ignorance, as i know i could probably find this out with some simple searching. But since i know so little about the game, other than its reputation, i'd like to avoid reading too much about it and keep it a fresh experience.

As someone who has a 360 version of the game kicking around and sealed. Are there enough improvements/enhancements to warrant buying the PS3 version, to have for my first playthrough? Also, if someone could post a spoiler list of some of the improvements, i'd be very grateful.

x-Lundz-x

So, I know this has a cult following around here. I'll guess I'll have to give it a shot now since they redid the controls. That is what stopped me on the 360 because I couldn't stand the control system.

Scavenger

Just got my copy. Mandatory install at the beginning, takes about 5 minutes and uses about 3 GB. The game supports sixaxis motions for things like driving, but it's optional. Also you can't have both vibration and sixaxis motions enabled at the same time.

EDIT: Audio is sometimes glitchy and HOLY SHIT AT THE FRAMERATE. I'm in the red room and the framerate is lower than 20, almost feels like Blight Town.

Word of advice, put the volume on full blast at the beginning. You'll thank me when you hear it. (if it hasn't been replaced, hopefully it hasn't. It's hilarious)

EDIT: Audio is sometimes glitchy and HOLY SHIT AT THE FRAMERATE. I'm in the red room and the framerate is lower than 20, almost feels like Blight Town.
Shit. How did this pass Quality Control/Certification?

Excuse my ignorance, as i know i could probably find this out with some simple searching. But since i know so little about the game, other than its reputation, i'd like to avoid reading too much about it and keep it a fresh experience.

As someone who has a 360 version of the game kicking around and sealed. Are there enough improvements/enhancements to warrant buying the PS3 version, to have for my first playthrough? Also, if someone could post a spoiler list of some of the improvements, i'd be very grateful.
If it has better controls, graphics and entirely new scenes, I would advise you to get the PS3 version.

sunnz

Disappointed hearing about the FPS problems still excist, I cna deal with bad graphics but FPS drops are just very annoying ( why I dislike AC3 so much)

I'll push through it though lol.

Alfredo

Just got my copy. Mandatory install at the beginning, takes about 5 minutes and uses about 3 GB. The game supports sixaxis motions for things like driving, but it's optional. Also you can't have both vibration and sixaxis motions enabled at the same time.

Yep, sounds like the original PS3 version. It also had Sixaxis controls, but it was kinda hard to figure out what they were for in Japanese. You can also use sixaxis for fishing, too, and I think melee weapons?

SkylineRKR

Yeah they can be turned on and off separately. Its for Driving, fishing, dodging and a few others. When vibration is turned on, those options can't be selected. I just put vibration on, not going to even try sixaxis. I also have a Move but no desire to play the game with it.

Scavenger

I quickly compared the two. The red room and the car crash location at the beginning runs on what seems to be a very smooth 30fps on Xbox, but is like less than 20 fps on PS3. PS3 version looks better and has a much better FOV (Xbox version is more zoomed in than PS3 version). I really doubt the framerate is going to get any better.

You can also use sixaxis for fishing, too, and I think melee weapons?
Yep

sux about the framerate but improved graphics are a decent compromise

a bit nervous of how the
raincoat killer qte
parts will be since those dropped to like 15 fps on the 360

Unplayable? How, exactly? Low framerate and consistency? Mid-screen tearing and/or hardlocks? "Unplayable" isn't specific enough when there are those who would consider many reasonably playable games to be unplayable.

Mostly framerate.

Figured. The PS3 version of the original release was apparently the same. I imagine that, if they didn't optimize that original release, it was possible that adding more taxing visuals for the DC would make it worse. Any impressions on how much worse it is when S3D mode in on? Probably going to be in single-digits if the hit mirrors those of other games running in 3D. I guess the resolution could drop further to accommodate it.

Moze

Banned
Mine has been dispatched and i should get it tomorrow

How much better are the controls exactly? are they on RE4 level?

Persona7

Banned

How is the framerate while running around in town or driving? Or when you are inside a building?

Gbraga

Oh man, framerate is very important to me. I'm even willing to accept 30 with some dips for this game, but if it's being called unplayable compared to the 360 version, then it's the kind of bad that I really can't deal with :(

Alfredo

Well, if the Director's Cut ever comes to 360, that would probably fix all the performance issues. Maybe someday. Rising Star Games seems to want to milk as much from Deadly Premonition as they can.

Aww man, I really don't want to cancel my preorder because the game is going to run worse than the 360 version.

I hope this gets addressed in the form of a patch.

Can anyone verify if the fps problem is worse than the silent hill downpour fps? Because that game has a god awful fps to the point where I get migraines after few hours of playing it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
sux about the framerate but improved graphics are a decent compromise

a bit nervous of how the
raincoat killer qte
parts will be since those dropped to like 15 fps on the 360

Yeah, this part was rough on 360. Not sounding good for the PS3 here.

Persona7

Banned
I am still curious to see how the in game camera works...has it even been shown yet? I watched some of the gameplay that was just uploaded on youtube but I didn't see it yet.

Oh wow, is Laura Palmers portrait actually in Deadly Premonition? I am going to go play the 360 version and see for myself. I just read about it on a list of easter eggs in the game. Weird that I never came across it...

the uploader of the video I linked to a few posts up has put up a couple more parts, the framerate looked fine in those. maybe those comments on the spanish forum were based on the red room framerate apparently being horrible, can someone who has it and has played a good amount confirm

the uploader of the video I linked to a few posts up has put up a couple more parts, the framerate looked fine in those. maybe those comments on the spanish forum were based on the red room framerate apparently being horrible, can someone who has it and has played a good amount confirm

Yeah I'm a bit worried about my pre-order but I hope it's just an over reaction.

Persona7

Banned
Yeah, it is amazing considering the hardware constraints.

I played it for a few hours a while back and it is a interesting game. I should continue it sometime.

Never heard of it before...wow! That write-up makes me wanna play it. I've always loved Human Entertainment for their Clock Tower and the older Fire Pro games, so I shouldn't be surprised at wanting to play this one. Thanks for posting this info.

I hate when I see really cool games that never got localized. :( Looks awesome though.

Top Bottom