• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'll tell you how to sell this game

Life is Beautiful has been stuck in my head all day at work. Just play a commercial of that and it'll get stuck in everyone else's head.

Chapter 1:

The autopsy scene is gruesome and actually quite sad. Poor Anna...

Also, York is such a suave motherfucker. He's so casual about everything and doesn't give a fuck
KuGsj.gif
kinda like a less violent Patrick Bateman.

randomwab

I played up to the end of the hospital last night, so I thought I'd give some impressions from someone who's played the original version on both systems a lot:

-The new content, so far, seems to be in the form of CG cutscenes before each chapter.
It seems to show an old Zach/York talking to a kid who bares a striking resemblance to Emily, and he's retelling the story of Deadly Premonition to the kid.

-The control improvements, so far, are mainly the new camera. It acts very much like other regular third person stuff letting you swing around the character easily.

-The graphical improvements are really hit and miss. In some cases, they've added detail to character models and the world. In others, it's fucked with the colours and LoD/DoF effects and can look worse that the original.

-Driving and Shooting appear to have little change. The action scenes are now ridiculously easy, with most enemies only taking a few bullets. I really wish they'd gone all the way and just taken them out, or at least made them completely optional.

-I need to boot the original versions later to compare, but the game does seem slightly crisper now, making it much easier to see some details in the world

So far, it seems like this is probably best for people who didn't/couldn't play the game before or are die hard fans of the original.

jgminto

-The new content, so far, seems to be in the form of CG cutscenes before each chapter.
It seems to show an old Zach/York talking to a kid who bares a striking resemblance to Emily, and he's retelling the story of Deadly Premonition to the kid.

Oh wow. Can't wait to see that.

I find it completely useless so far. It actually takes me out of the story.
Not every creepy/psychological horror story needs to be The Turn of the Screw, give framing devices a rest.

-Driving and Shooting appear to have little change. The action scenes are now ridiculously easy, with most enemies only taking a few bullets. I really wish they'd gone all the way and just taken them out, or at least made them completely optional.
I agree with this.

zainetor

Banned
I played up to the end of the hospital last night, so I thought I'd give some impressions from someone who's played the original version on both systems a lot:

-The control improvements, so far, are mainly the new camera. It acts very much like other regular third person stuff letting you swing around the character easily.

-The graphical improvements are really hit and miss. In some cases, they've added detail to character models and the world. In others, it's fucked with the colours and LoD/DoF effects and can look worse that the original.

-I need to boot the original versions later to compare, but the game does seem slightly crisper now, making it much easier to see some details in the world

So far, it seems like this is probably best for people who didn't/couldn't play the game before or are die hard fans of the original.

I wish they removed the infinite pistol ammo. It broke the tension and limited the survival aspect, atleast until you got bonus weapons :D

randomwab

I find it completely useless so far. It actually takes me out of the story.
Not every creepy/psychological horror story needs to be The Turn of the Screw, give framing devices.

I honestly wonder if it's just a way to set up a possible Deadly Premonition 2, or at least setup for how they could tell that story.

Gbraga

I can't think of any reason the EU version would perform worse than the US one, but I'm still hoping this is the case, since I imported a copy from the US. :p

It doesn't make any sense, I agree, but it's Deadly Premonition, if any game can do that, it's this one.

Necrovex

I can't think of any reason the EU version would perform worse than the US one, but I'm still hoping this is the case, since I imported a copy from the US. :p

It doesn't make any sense, I agree, but it's Deadly Premonition, if any game can do that, it's this one.

It doesn't surprise me too much. The European version of Xenoblade was limited to 25 frames, unlike the NA version.

Laranja

It doesn't surprise me too much. The European version of Xenoblade was limited to 25 frames, unlike the NA version.

Well, it'd be pretty awesome if that were the case! I'm crossing my fingers.

Anyway, I think the US release date is tomorrow, so maybe we'll get some feedback about the framerate by then.

Gbraga

That would actually explain it, people are reporting that it seems like the game runs at 20~25, so while the US version may dip just as low, when it's 25 in the EU version the US version will have a smooth 30fps.

I really hope that's the case.

akaoni

Banned
So I did the prologue yesterday when I got the game. Noticed crackling audio during a scene at the start of the game. Framerate was awful but improved in the middle, got to the first chapter starting from your room and the framerate was awful, I would say it's like 15-25fps and gives me a headache, maybe worse than Bayonetta but I might just be exaggerating from anger. The other thing I can't stand is I feel the game is completely ignoring my sound settings during cutscene voices leaving the sound way too loud for my headphones (I don't know how to configure PS3 sound universally if you can).

I'm kind of bummed out that it's a PS3-only release.

Me too, though currently playing through my xbox copy atm.. would have double dipped if it had of been released on 360 also

ignoring my sound settings during cutscene voices leaving the sound way too loud for my headphones

Yeah even on the original 360 version the sound is messed up in places, one minute very loud, next you cant hear the voices in some places.. guess it still has a few audio issues

Necrovex

What? Are you sure? I'm almost certain that's not true...

Yup. I discovered this fact when I was trying to get Xenoblade working on my PC. I had the PAL version, and I discovered the framerate is locked to 25 FPS. I almost bought the NA version because of that.

randomwab

It's true and there is a patch online to correct it if you want to rip and fix it.

Yup. I discovered this fact when I was trying to get Xenoblade working on my PC. I had the PAL version, and I discovered the framerate is locked to 25 FPS. I almost bought the NA version because of that.

My god. That's horrible. Good thing it's been sitting on the shelf all this time, guess I'll be playing Xenoblade in Dolphin....
like I ever wasn't planning that though =P

Nope.

Only if you play it in 50hz mode, but that applies to every game. Xenoblade supports Wii's 60hz mode (I just pulled out the box to double check), and will therefore operate at the full refresh / frame rate as long as that is applied. My understanding - correct me if I'm wrong - is that US Wii consoles don't have the 60hz option. Therefore an importer of the PAL version would have to play the game in its default mode, which will be 50hz...despite having native 60hz hardware and so forth.

The advent of HD as a universal standard has made it irrelevant. It would be utterly mind blowingly bizarre for this game to be affected in such a way; more likely a pressing fuck up or something. I assume an incoming patch is why the PSN version has been put back to Wednesday.

Not sure if this is old, but it looks like Swery is going to be happy with how this sells

“The game has easily surpassed our expectations for day one orders,” Rising Star’s product marketing manager Yen Hau told MCV.

“It was the first time we have offered such a diverse pre-order scheme of DLC content for each retailer, in all territories, and it has been an unparalleled success for us.

“It further demonstrates that the cult status we built up for the game two years ago is still going strong and I’m absolutely overjoyed that PS3 owners can finally experience this gaming gem.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/dead...ashes-rising-star-s-pre-order-records/0114777

Metro GameCentral review
In Short: As unique a vision as video gaming has ever seen and one able to use its many incompetencies – including the new ones – to entertain and surprise.

Pros: Some of the strangest characters and situations in all gaming. A huge range of hidden secrets and some very effective horror sequences. Peculiarly appropriate presentation.

Cons: The graphics are now inconsistent instead of outright terrible, but the frame rate is definitely worse. Strange sound problems with some dialogue. Cut scenes can be a bit too long.

Score: 8/10

About the frame rate:
But what’s more problematic is the frame rate, which is often much slower than the Xbox 360 version. Although the fact that it’s at its worst in one of the earliest scenes, and barely ever that bad again, has us half-wondering whether it’s some sort of meta challenge to see how willing you really are to play the game.

dan2026

Deadly Premonition was never a good game.

It was fun to laugh at how awful the story and gameplay was in the Giantbomb Endurance Run.

But I don't know how you could ever argue this game was decent.

Amusing maybe, decent no.

sunnz

It was fun to laugh at how awful the story and gameplay was in the Giantbomb Endurance Run.

I play a tonne of games but not once have I enjoyed watching cut scenes and found characters as amusing and interesting as I have so far in DP.

Sure it has certain problems but the story, narrative, characters and how the game/story plays out is one of the best I have experienced.

And yes, not everyone has the same views as you, just cause to you it is stupid doesn't mean it's a fact.

Alfredo

I don't think you can fairly judge the gameplay based on the Endurance Run. They were pretty awful at it (especially Brad), and they missed out on a lot of stuff.

Laranja

Did you even play the game?

sunnz

No, but I watched the Giantbomb crew play all the way through it.

And it looked like a mediocre 3rd person shooter designed by a crazy person who had just watched Twin Peaks.

Fun to watch, not to play.

That is exactly your problem, this type of game can't be judged on what you see, its about what you experience while playing and how you get so involved and sucked into the story.

Alfredo

And it looked like a mediocre 3rd person shooter designed by a crazy person who had just watched Twin Peaks.

If you would like to see more of what Deadly Premonition has to offer without playing it, I would suggest Super Great Friend's Let's Play. It does a much better job showing off the game than the Endurance Run (which was still entertaining).

Plasma

Banned

I feel the same way towards Deadly Premonition as I do with Alpha Protocol. I know it plays like garbage but there is enough going on with the world, characters and story that I enjoy playing it in spite of its faults.

Totally agreed. As a game it's fucking dreadful. Everything else is superb, but not for the reasons one might usually praise a game.

Moze

Banned

the story awful? lol no

Moze

Banned
Why do people let games like fallout 3 get away with being clunky and shit but deadly premonition cant?

I would argue deadly premonitions gameplay is actually better than fallout 3

Framerate in PAL-Version of the game

http://youtu.be/34Ie5K79Uwk

It's in german. You don't have to understand it, just watch. :)

HORRIBLE

Is it as bad as the US-version? worse?

The US version looked pretty bad too in the video the community manager posted. The 360 version was hardly smooth, but the video you just linked takes it to a new level. If it's a PAL thing, it's obviously the reason for the game being delayed a week on PSN; a patch will arrive then, in that case.

Otherwise, it's probably the developer struggling with the PS3 hardware.

geebee

Banned
So is the Director's Cut framerate better or worse than the old X360 release? Or mostly the same? I'm still on the fence about double dipping..

Persona86

Banned

Why would you want to watch an entire play through of a game instead of playing it?

Top Bottom