• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

Jhoan

Minamu said:

That was a great interview. I squealed like a girl with excitement when he said that he met up his writer recently to discuss plans for the next DP, although nothing is confirmed at this point, it's a pretty good sign and he said they would release it in NA first which is a good sign. And it was nice to see SWERY light up when he saw that Giant Bomb's member's DP playing cards.

I am getting a 360 soon and have a PS3. Both PAL. I speak english only. Which version should I import into Australia? I have heard that the 360 version doesn't have region coding, but I would obviously want confirmation. same with ps3 english

hipgnosis

This game is so weird. I finished it like a month ago and I'm already feeling nostalgic towards it. I already want to replay it just to experience some more York awesomeness. I love this game.

Jipan said:
Pretty much my feelings. Super excited that he's considering making another game in that world. And he audibly gasps when he sees the playing cards. You can tell how much he appreciates the attention his game has gotten and all his fans.

randomwab

teacupcopter said:
I am getting a 360 soon and have a PS3. Both PAL. I speak english only. Which version should I import into Australia? I have heard that the 360 version doesn't have region coding, but I would obviously want confirmation. same with ps3 english

Get the Euro 360 version. It'll run fine on your PAL 360 and is fully English.

Dorrin

I just finished it last night. Even though I had Dead Space 2 and AC Brotherhood sitting next to it I found myself playing this one through to the end. Yeah the controls are old school but not that big of a deal for someone who grew up through the NES-SNES-PS1 era.

The story was just crazy and was the obvious highlight to this game. Twists and turns, general weirdness, it was a really unique experience. It took me just at 18 hours, I did a few side quests here and there.

Fox Mulder

Dorrin said:
I just finished it last night. Even though I had Dead Space 2 and AC Brotherhood sitting next to it I found myself playing this one through to the end. Yeah the controls are old school but not that big of a deal for someone who grew up through the NES-SNES-PS1 era.

The story was just crazy and was the obvious highlight to this game. Twists and turns, general weirdness, it was a really unique experience. It took me just at 18 hours, I did a few side quests here and there.

I also just finished it, and wish there were more crazy games like it this gen. I enjoyed the story even though the game really showed how poor the controls were during the final boss encounters. I essentially played the whole game using a magnum and auto targeting to take care of enemies in tiny corridors, while the bosses are in open areas that require running and being able to quickly target hit points with the overly sensitive aiming. Just awful really and I was more eager just for it to get over with.

I recently imported the PS3 version, but it's in Japanese (well, most of the text is). Anyway, as a result, I can't read item descriptions or any text that shows up on screen. Do various food items offer different effects? I think I've figured out most things such as saving and the inventory system, but I'm unsure about food. How often does York have to eat or sleep?

If you guys have any other tips for a beginner, it would be appreciated. I have a guide for the side-quests and trading card locations, but I'm trying to avoid walk-throughs to prevent spoilers.

Fox Mulder

RadioHeadAche said:
I recently imported the PS3 version, but it's in Japanese (well, most of the text is). Anyway, as a result, I can't read item descriptions or any text that shows up on screen. Do various food items offer different effects? I think I've figured out most things such as saving and the inventory system, but I'm unsure about food. How often does York have to eat or sleep?

If you guys have any other tips for a beginner, it would be appreciated. I have a guide for the side-quests and trading card locations, but I'm trying to avoid walk-throughs to prevent spoilers.

food only affects hunger and tiredness. Stuff like coffee and sodas help with tiredness, while most of the food just replenishes the hunger bar. The only time I really needed to sleep or eat was while free roaming for side quests, it's not a big deal at all. It's just kind of there, but maybe it matters more on a different difficulty.

I'd just have fun on your first playthrough, but getting infinite weapons like the magnum and flamethrower is easy, and really helps out a lot. You don't even have to bother with the maps from Keith for the largely pointless weapons they provide.

Minamu

RadioHeadAche said:

Food are mostly different in the amount of health they give. There are a couple of spots where food respawn infinitely so that shouldn't be much of a problem. I think it takes a day or two before York's health starts to drop by itself (speeding up time with cigarettes will make this pass extremely quickly, and you'll be doing that a lot for the quests I'd wager). As for tips, collect the bones you can see on your map. If you find them all (seven) you'll get two awesome weapons if you give them to Kaysen and the gravedigger (in that order!!!). After that, you're pretty much set for the rest of the game. Might wanna buy a secret map at the shop fairly early on for a SMG with infinite ammo. There's also a couple of good unbreakable melee weapons but they're not really needed, just nice to have :)

tearsofash

I keep playing this, and keep getting bored with it. I'm still fairly early on. Probably a little bit past getting keys that look like squirrels. Does it pick up at all?

Clevinger

tearsofash said:
I keep playing this, and keep getting bored with it. I'm still fairly early on. Probably a little bit past getting keys that look like squirrels. Does it pick up at all?

The main story picks up, yeah. But a lot of the meat of the game is also in the sidequests. You don't seem to like that, so I don't know what to tell you.

The driving is such a pain in the ass. Despite that, I love the fact that you can use turn signals and the wind-shield wipers. If the driving was as good as that found in the PS2 GTA series, I would be in love.

Aside from that, the cutscenes continue to amuse me. So far, this is the funniest game I've played since the Penny Arcade Adventures.

I also really like the character designs.

RadioHeadAche said:
The driving is such a pain in the ass. Despite that, I love the fact that you can use turn signals and the wind-shield wipers. If the driving was as good as that found in the PS2 GTA series, I would be in love.

Aside from that, the cutscenes continue to amuse me. So far, this is the funniest game I've played since the Penny Arcade Adventures.

I also really like the character designs.

Get the radio from George as soon as humanly possible, you won't have to worry about driving any more than a couple of times, but that's due to it being mandatory for a couple of missions.

Man, the drop is quality after you rooftop battle with you know who know is making this a real chore to play. Should have ended with on that rooftop. :c

Patryn

Small Mailman said:
Nothing wrong with that!

Reviews didn't do this game justice! It's kinda a bummer that that's really why everyone overlooked it.

Considering it was a $20 game, it actually didn't get overlooked. In fact, it sold pretty damn great, and it got a lot more publicity than pretty much any other $20 game.

I'm doing a video soon high-lighting some of the crazier/weirder moments of Deadly P.

Anyone care to name things that should be included in said montage? I've beaten the game, but having a hard time remembering everything.

Criminal Upper said:
I'm doing a video soon high-lighting some of the crazier/weirder moments of Deadly P.

Anyone care to name things that should be included in said montage? I've beaten the game, but having a hard time remembering everything.

Depends on how spoilerish you want it to be but here are my best memories of the game (mucho spoilers below)

- York's weird laughing face after he solves Ushah's chess puzzle.
- Thomas dancing
- Thomas in a wig and red dress flying on a hook
- Gina's (?) special car wash
- Huge night dogs
- One of Emily's cooking sidequest
- Polly telling York how beautiful she was
- One of the dialogues with Harry Stewart & Michael
- One of "Roaming" Sigourney's trip with York

God I realize these are not very specific and I must've only remembered 1/10th of what I liked. Will try to find more accurate ones.

(Of course, you know you can replay the cutscenes from the special menu)

Patryn said:
Considering it was a $20 game, it actually didn't get overlooked. In fact, it sold pretty damn great, and it got a lot more publicity than pretty much any other $20 game.
True, but reviews like this: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1070909p1.html probably made it sell a lot less that it had the potential to. I know a lot of people who make their game purchasing choices based on what IGN says. Bad PS2 graphics? Really?! I feel like everyone who's talked bad about the controls has only just started playing video games too... this is how survival horror games were controlled.

It took me a really long time to figure out how to replay chapters. I think the lack of English text is starting to really bother me.

Also, is it true that there's a game-breaking glitch when you replay chapter 2 before completing a much later chapter?

RadioHeadAche said:
It took me a really long time to figure out how to replay chapters. I think the lack of English text is starting to really bother me.

Also, is it true that there's a game-breaking glitch when you replay chapter 2 before completing a much later chapter?

Yes, chapter 9 and 23 if I remember correctly.

You should peruse this site, it's invaluable : http://planetredwood.webs.com/beginnersmanual.htm (don't worry about spoilers, they're marked)

I decided to sleep in the graveyard to pass the time for a sidequest. When I woke up, there was a sinister orange sky and I expected to see those boogens I've become accustomed to seeing. Nope, I just got killed by a giant, fucking doberman with red eyes.

Holy shit that was scary.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RadioHeadAche said:

There are two chapters where you are given keys (9 and 23, this isn't a spoiler or anything). If you play those chapters, get the keys, save, exit, and then replay an earlier chapter, it's possible that the key will get removed from your inventory and you won't get it back later, making you unable to continue.

I'm trying to do the fifth sidequest with the flower. I'm in chapter 3 right now and I got the flower and slept until about 22:00. I went to George's, but he's not there despite the fact that I've arrived at the specified time. I go there at the right time and I see the notepad indicating the quest, but I can't go into the house. Do I need to go to the hospital first?

Also, thanks for the tips you two. That site is especially handy, so thank you.

RadioHeadAche said:
I'm trying to do the fifth sidequest with the flower. I'm in chapter 3 right now and I got the flower and slept until about 22:00. I went to George's, but he's not there despite the fact that I've arrived at the specified time. I go there at the right time and I see the notepad indicating the quest, but I can't go into the house. Do I need to go to the hospital first?

Also, thanks for the tips you two. That site is especially handy, so thank you.

I'm not sure about this specific sidequest (I obviously did it because it's the most useful one, bar none) but I stumbled upon a few quests that seem not to work at first glance when in fact they depend on conditions that the game never tells you about. More specifically :

- The ability to complete a quest depends on (1) location, (2) weather, (3) time and (4) chapter. Weather in particular can be a bitch (you can get a nice item to change it at will later in the game though). Time can be a bit dodgy too. Always get to the location ahead of time and smoke if needed.

- You can't immediately follow-up on a quest that's in a series (=given by the same character). You have to wait 24 hours and/or wait for the next chapter to complete the next installment. This was the most mind-boggling thing to me. If you can't do a sidequest, sleep/wait 24 hours, make sure the conditions are met and if it's still not available, advance till the next chapter and come back.

For George, I don't think you need to go to the hospital first but I bellieve the time is 21:00. I would advise to go there a bit early (around 20:00), check if you can knock on the door and if not smoke until 21 something...

So when does this game open up?

I'm in Chapter 2, and so far have been just going where the game tells me to go. I feel like I''m playing it wrong. I haven't run into any side quests. I try to drive around but everything is closed. I feel like the characters are going to get ticked at me if I don't go meet them somewhere.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
tetrisgrammaton said:

I'm in Chapter 2, and so far have been just going where the game tells me to go. I feel like I''m playing it wrong. I haven't run into any side quests. I try to drive around but everything is closed. I feel like the characters are going to get ticked at me if I don't go meet them somewhere.

1) you're at chapter 2 of 26. don't sweat it. the game opens up very shortly, and almost everything is open by around chapter 8.

2) any time the game gives you a time period deadline, you can ignore it. 12:00-19:00 means show up at any day between 12:00 and 19:00, not that you have to show up TODAY between 12:00 and 19:00.

eXistor

tetrisgrammaton said:

Forget the "time limit" there isn't any. It opens up soon enough, there are tons of side-quests to find, just talk to people you see on the map.

Thanks for the infos.

Just stumbled across my first few sidequests. Did some fishing. Starting to enjoy. Still the pacing feels sloooooow coming off Red Dead's hyperactive events.

edit: and actually am on Chapter 9, Episode 2. I guess I got the two confused. But now the game's starting to blossom so I'm happy.

BaronLundi said:
- You can't immediately follow-up on a quest that's in a series (=given by the same character). You have to wait 24 hours and/or wait for the next chapter to complete the next installment. This was the most mind-boggling thing to me. If you can't do a sidequest, sleep/wait 24 hours, make sure the conditions are met and if it's still not available, advance till the next chapter and come back.

I guess it won't let me do it until the next chapter, and because I assume that will be the same for the other quests I've started, I might as well continue the story.

I realized that this is going to be a really easy, but time-consuming platinum. Nine trophies are story-based with fifty for each sidequest and then the platinum. I suppose doing this without a guide would be more difficult, but there's not a lot I can do when I cannot read any Japanese.

I have no idea how I'm going to solve that medical quiz.

oatmeal

Banned
Got this today, played up until the first driving sequence. I love the atmosphere so far...gameplay is weak. Graphics are whatever, I knew they'd be subpar.

But, I'm interested to see everything I can do...

SWERY's twitter account is pretty funny, the parts that are in English at least.

"I'm playing "HEAVY RAIN" just now. This is a new thing. Why have not I played this up to now? Zach..."

:D

OK so I've made like 2-3 posts in this thread all trying to figure out how I can play this game (PAL) and if I'll like it and this thread never answers me. Whatever. I'm fine with that, you insular community. But i'll crack your shell soon.

I imported a UK 360 version of the game, I am waiting on my 360 (got it with a phone deal sign up) in the mail. In the meantime, anything I should know before diving in? I've stayed like 100% spoiler free apart from knowing that Twin Peaks has a similar feeling :p but is there any game ruining shit I need to worry about?

teacupcopter said:
OK so I've made like 2-3 posts in this thread all trying to figure out how I can play this game (PAL) and if I'll like it and this thread never answers me. Whatever. I'm fine with that, you insular community. But i'll crack your shell soon.

I imported a UK 360 version of the game, I am waiting on my 360 (got it with a phone deal sign up) in the mail. In the meantime, anything I should know before diving in? I've stayed like 100% spoiler free apart from knowing that Twin Peaks has a similar feeling :p but is there any game ruining shit I need to worry about?

Start here

teacupcopter said:
is there any game ruining shit I need to worry about?
-Play on easy.
-When it's raining, pick one of the white flowers that appears on the map to give to George when he is at home.
-Buy "Map to Psychic Spot A" and complete the objective ASAP

That is all you need to enjoy the game to it's fullest.

EDIT: RadioHeadAche's post is better.

Top Bottom