• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

hipgnosis

Okay I'm at Chapter 6 in the first episode, just beat the lumber mill. I'm really starting to enjoy this game now. Just got the radio and that unlimited SMG. That SMG will surely make the combat more enjoyable. And that radio is a must, so nice just to warp to places you need to get to. How do I unlok more locations to that radio? What other items should I check out and get at this point?

This song is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzmqt-Dw3zc&feature=related

Always cracks me up when that sax enters, is the sax player choking or what. :lol

Patryn

hipgnosis said:
Okay I'm at Chapter 6 in the first episode, just beat the lumber mill. I'm really starting to enjoy this game now. Just got the radio and that unlimited SMG. That SMG will surely make the combat more enjoyable. And that radio is a must, so nice just to warp to places you need to get to. How do I unlok more locations to that radio? What other items should I check out and get at this point?

This song is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzmqt-Dw3zc&feature=related

Always cracks me up when that sax enters, is the sax player choking or what. :lol

Locations are added as you visit them. So you have to drive to each location at least one time.

Dries said:
How can I get that unlimited SMG?

Buy the first Map from the Milk Barn. Go to the location on the map (it'll be marked) and complete the combat challenge. Just keep going through the door again and again until you enter the room and there are no enemies. You'll find the SMG on the table. Only then should you take the glowing exit.

krakov

Here is an awesome mostly spoiler free beginners guide

If you go to the map and hit right bumper or something like that you come to the side mission screen, which will tell you in which chapters the different missions are available and who gives them. There can be some extra qualifiers though, like time of day, weather, and such.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
@Dries You should follow up the Anna's mother quest line, you'll get a pretty awesome sweet Infinite Wrench at the end, it's extremely powerful and will kill regular enemies with one hit almost through out the entire game, swings as fast as a knife too ..

Dries

Clevinger said:
Just give up, Dries. The game appeals to a very small niche, and you ain't part of it.

But if you're really that interested in the story, there's a Let's Play over at Something Awful.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368004

High quality video, and you can skip all the gameplay parts and cut right to the cutscenes/story.

This is just the main story, right? I assume they don't do side quests. Will I be missing a lot of story content?

Deadly Preminition is a great movie, sucks that you have to play it.

Clevinger

Dries said:
This is just the main story, right? I assume they don't do side quests. Will I be missing a lot of story content?

Deadly Preminition is a great movie, sucks that you have to play it.

He's doing all the side quests, so you won't miss anything.

Reeeaaaalllly need to finish this one already. I got to chapter 4 or something and quit. Don't know why. I have loved every minute. The scale in particular is incredible. It really feels like one big journey.

Minamu

I beat Mass Effect 2 again last night, so I'm thinking of popping the DP disc in again and do a hard run. Should I? :D I need to play something and I'm uncertain about starting a perfect ME1 run right off the bat. Hard isn't that hard, right? Played ME2 on insanity :p

Patryn

Minamu said:
I beat Mass Effect 2 again last night, so I'm thinking of popping the DP disc in again and do a hard run. Should I? :D I need to play something and I'm uncertain about starting a perfect ME1 run right off the bat. Hard isn't that hard, right? Played ME2 on insanity :p

Why would you want to do that to yourself?

I'm speaking as someone who loved Deadly Premonition. I'd rank it in my top 3 games of 2010, actually. But combat really isn't its strong point, and the idea of having to deal with hard-level wall crawlers just makes me groan.

So, no, I don't believe it's actually difficult. It's just fucking tedious as all hell.

Minamu

:lol Well, I intend to get the infinite magnum. smg and flame thrower on each play through (gonna have to do one on easy later on as well) so the combat shouldn't be that hard. Fire works surprisingly well on the crawlies. Needless to say, I'm doing this for the achievements.

Dries

Are those wall crawlies even a toughie on easy? I deliberately chose to play easy so I could rush through the combat bits to just focus on story.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Patryn said:
Why would you want to do that to yourself?

I'm speaking as someone who loved Deadly Premonition. I'd rank it in my top 3 games of 2010, actually. But combat really isn't its strong point, and the idea of having to deal with hard-level wall crawlers just makes me groan.

So, no, I don't believe it's actually difficult. It's just fucking tedious as all hell.

The only achivements i'm missing in the game are beating the game on normal and easy. I actually started on hard and got everything, I had a flamethrower before the wall crawlers appeared and was never given any issue with them.

Minamu

Dries said:
Are those wall crawlies even a toughie on easy? I deliberately chose to play easy so I could rush through the combat bits to just focus on story.
They're not that dangerous, it's just that they seem to have 1 million hp compared to regular zombies that have like 10 :p But some weapons deal more damage than others, like fire and melee. It's just tedious to sometimes meet 5 in a row :lol

Bought this today and I absolutely love it. It's undeniably unique and just soaked in charm. York is very likeable and I don't actually mind the controls; personally, I think they're funny. I mean, how many games have dedicated windscreen wiper and indicator controls? :lol My mates were totally puzzled at that but it's all part of it. Figured I'd play it through on hard the first time for the achievements sake. It's much easier to go back for the cards that way, rather than starting again on easy or something.

I'm really, really impressed so far. Not to mention how smug I felt buying it in GAME. Needless to say I got a few looks from the staff and a few others. I snickered when the guy in front of me was buying Wanted for 360...

Minamu

Dries said:
So Im on chapter 21 now. How much hours if I rush it? There are 26 chapters rights?
2-3 maybe? Hard to say. I did them tonight on hard without cutscenes in 1-2 maybe :S Then I immediately started my third playthrough, this time on easy and I'm at chapter 7 after 2 hours and just unlocked the radio :D I think Hard took 7 hours without the radio and no cutscenes.

DJ_Lae

MarshMellow96 said:
Figured I'd play it through on hard the first time for the achievements sake. It's much easier to go back for the cards that way, rather than starting again on easy or something.

You may already know this, but difficulty achievements don't stack in Deadly Premonition - you'll have to beat it three times if you want to get them all.

I did a normal playthrough first, an easy playthrough the second time (with cards), but I have yet to get my hard playthrough finished yet because man that's a lot of Deadly Premonition.

Dries

Beat it. What a fucking terrible game with an awesome story. So weird. I absolutely hated it, but kept playing for the story.. But was the story that good to suffer 20 hours of awkward gameplay for it? That I don't know.

DJ_Lae said:
You may already know this, but difficulty achievements don't stack in Deadly Premonition - you'll have to beat it three times if you want to get them all.

Yeah I figured just get the hard run out of the way first time then have fun with it after!

Minamu

Dries said:
Beat it. What a fucking terrible game with an awesome story. So weird. I absolutely hated it, but kept playing for the story.. But was the story that good to suffer 20 hours of awkward gameplay for it? That I don't know.
Great story until it flips out the last few hours, imho :( The supernatural stuff wasn't really called for. Indigo Prophecy's little brother? :D

Omikaru

Completed this for the first time last night and just... wow. Everything about this game should be bad, but it all ties itself rather haphazardly together. What a wonderful, bittersweet experience!

Long after we've forgotten about Dudebro Shooter 4000 in the sea of sequels and similar games, I will fondly remember Deadly Premonition. Simply thinking about it brings a smile to my face. :D

Fox Mulder

goddamn it.

I finally got this game after enjoying the GB endurance runs, and looked forward to getting into all the side stuff. Well now the game locks up every time I finish the wood mill.

Anyone else have this problem with it locking up at a point? I really don't want to trash a save, and I don't even know if that will matter.

bkfount said:
goddamn it.

I finally got this game after enjoying the GB endurance runs, and looked forward to getting into all the side stuff. Well now the game locks up every time I finish the wood mill.

Anyone else have this problem with it locking up at a point? I really don't want to trash a save, and I don't even know if that will matter.

Clear your Xbox 360's hard drive cache and see if that doesn't fix it.

Minamu

bkfount said:
goddamn it.

My game locked up twice on my first playthrough. But it was in random locations. After that I just made sure to save whenever I saw a phone. Strangely enough, the game never froze when I took my console with me back home over xmas where I played the second half of the game, again on hard, and half the game on easy. But it froze the same day I started playing again when I got back here when it was time to finish my third playthrough o_O :lol Something is going on over here :S

Have you tried skipping the cutscenes before it freezes if that's where the problem is? You could always try clearing out your cache memory. With a clean install and no cutscenes, you'll be at the wood mill in one hour, easily.

DKehoe

Finished this yesterday. What an awesome experience. Now going to loan the game to as many people as possible in order to spread the love.
How do the leaderboards work? I looked at it after finishing the game and noticed I was 84th. Does that really mean I'm the 84th best Deadly Premonition player in the world?

hipgnosis

Well GAF I trusted you with this one and so far I'm loving the game. I'm at Chapter 11 now. Just got York's car, unlimited Magnum and unlimited flamethrower. The combat is enjoyable now and the plot keeps getting better. Also York is one of the most interesting video game characters I've ever seen. So glad I picked this game up.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Just started this game thanks to a Master Ninja. Noticed i have infinite ammo for my pistol. Also do the enemies infinitely respawn? It seems that way so i should just run?

Loving the lines so far. York and his future telling coffee and milk!

I hate to be that guy but the Let's Play thread currently happening at Somethingawful.com is just a constant stream of brilliance.

It's like a second honeymoon or something. I'm falling in love with my favorite game all over again.

Metalic Sand said:
Just started this game thanks to a Master Ninja. Noticed i have infinite ammo for my pistol. Also do the enemies infinitely respawn? It seems that way so i should just run?
As far as I recall the only locations where they respawn forever are just before leaving the woods at the very start of the game, after midnight when Greenvale goes crazy, a few scripted sequences where you are in crazy world (mostly small paths outside leading to a building you need to enter) and then one spawn point late in the game.

Generally just kill everything you see and if you notice they spawn 3 times in the same location it's probably an infinite spawn.

Jex

Finally finished the game. I feel much that I'm about to say has been said before, but whatever.

The game certainly got linear after a certain point. Which was fine, but they've already made you do the same things about 20x in a row so bunching it all together is very annoying.

The fact that they decided to kill Emily doesn't bother me. That seems like a fair decision, as it reflects one of York's failures. And he is a deeply flawed character.

The game design managed to get even worse (I didn't think that was possible) near the end. Totally stupid, overly long boss fights which got in the way of the interesting story.

Speaking of story, the Zack/York reveal was good stuff.

However, the Kaysen stuff was not. York not making a connection to the reed seed? Stupid. Kaysen being a weird monster? Silly. Kaysen some how being connected to everything (the chemical, causing the death of York's parents etc) inexcusable. It would have been much more interesting if we never found out why York's father "killed" his mother.

The weird supernatural stuff that seemed totally unnecessary. It could just have been a story about some crazy people in a small town, but they had to turn into weird mutants, apparently.

The extended amounts of time you spent with the characters really paid off in the end, however, as that made their fates much more interesting. However, even there, the game/story was kind of uneven.

I still think this quote from gamecritics is the most interesting with regard to critical reception of the game:

The game received a 2.0 from IGN, and a 10 from Destructoid, but both reviews approached it in exactly the same way—from a place of ironic detachment. Neither one was able to engage with the story, and so they couldn't see the game's true value. IGN couldn't get past the craziness of the plot, and Destructoid found the whole thing hilarious, going so far as to give it an ironic grade. By not being willing to just suspend their disbelief and inhabit the game's insane world, they missed out on one of the most special videogame storytelling experiences of all time, as well as the opportunity to really get to know a videogame character like never before.

MAJOR SPOILERS like HOLY CRAP

A few things came to mind a few minutes ago so here:

One thing to keep in mind is that York is a bit on the unreliable side. For all we know he's just making it up as he goes along. Everything involving the murder seems sensible enough but everything involving him and especially Zach either doesn't quite add up or just wasn't supposed to.

At one point early on in the game York mentions that one of the killers in his earlier investigations said "aliens made him do it". Whether this actually happened is irrelevant. It seems like the kind of story York could have put together to help him deal with the events towards the end of the game. He sees something shocking like the man responsible(?) for the death of his mother and he loses it, allowing his imagination to run wild and fill in the blanks with whatever makes sense in his head.

To reference Minority Report: The end of the game was basically one big orgy of evidence that apparently tied everything up nicely. How many orgies have you seen? It's likely that everything was a plant. York's past...or more specifically the entirety of his life between the major events of him as a child and the events of DP are basically a massive blur that he most likely keeps buried under his mountains of small-talk about cult movies and DVDs. Having everything come together in such a way is completely ridiculous, especially in a game where apparently all of these events come together in the span of maybe a month.

It could be York himself is just a state of mind, some defense mechanism that's triggered by a horrific event in one's life. Anyone could have a York, Zach was probably just one of many. York makes out well in the end, he gets a cozy spot in the deepest region of Zach's head along with a harem of women(and one man). Zach will presumably resume some semblance of a normal life and York will be content.

Driven, resourceful, patient, meticulous, York has all the qualities of a great investigator as well as those of great murderer. Given the absurdity of it all why not go with the notion that York is something of a vagrant? These previous murders that are linked to the red-seed, what if York himself had committed those murders? He gets inside the heads of those with traumatic lives, drives them to kill(usually young women), and with the knowledge and memories of these recently deceased he gets to indulge himself in whatever fantasies that he can come up with.

I haven't even touched on the section where Emily sees the ghouls. An explanation exists but it's the kind that can be right, wrong, both, and neither. But I've probably watched too many movies.

snap0212

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I hate to be that guy but the Let's Play thread currently happening at Somethingawful.com is just a constant stream of brilliance.

It's like a second honeymoon or something. I'm falling in love with my favorite game all over again.
I'm at Episode 11 and it's just great. I've bought the game (mainly to support the Devs), but I don't think I would have the patience to do all the stuff he's doing in his Let's Play. Maybe I'll play the game myself when I have some more time, but watching the Let's Play for 20 minutes before going to bed is just great. I haven't watched his other videos, but he seems to be the perfect guy for this stuff.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Anyone else ever notice the infinite lollipop spawn right at the start of the game? I ended up with like 7 lollipops then decided to stop.

Patryn

Metalic Sand said:
Anyone else ever notice the infinite lollipop spawn right at the start of the game? I ended up with like 7 lollipops then decided to stop.

There's a few infinite spawns. Generally it's for lesser items.

Metalic Sand said:

There are quite a few of those in the game world.

As long as a life-time supply of onions, pickles, and lollipops sound appetizing York should never go hungry.

Beaten so badly/

Minamu

Metalic Sand said:
Sure, there are a bunch of that stuff. There's even one for medkits by the end of the game that can make the game go a bit crazy since you can carry an infinite amount for awhile.

hie

ninj4junpei said:
Is there an easy way to get around the map? The cars are too slow, and the controls are on the sucky side. :\

Some of the best dialog in the game is during the driving though...

Jex

ninj4junpei said:
Is there an easy way to get around the map? The cars are too slow, and the controls are on the sucky side. :\
Radio, lets you warp to any area you've previously visited. Quest line from Geore's house, accessible in the evenings. You need a flower that grows on the side of the road that leads to the Hospital (the left hand side). Oh, and the flower only appears when it's raining.

That's Deadly Premonitions for you!

It's like holding run when going through doors, or pressing START to skip a number of animations e.g. leaving cars.

Although as they say above, make sure to hear all the conversations available during the driving scenes.

Jexhius said:
Radio, lets you warp to any area you've previously visited. Quest line from Geore's house, accessible in the evenings. You need a flower that grows on the side of the road that leads to the Hospital (the left hand side). Oh, and the flower only appears when it's raining.

That's Deadly Premonitions for you!

It's like holding run when going through doors, or pressing START to skip a number of animations e.g. leaving cars.

Although as they say above, make sure to hear all the conversations available during the driving scenes.
FFFFFFUUUUUUUU- I passed by that flower while going to the hospital. I almost stopped to check it out. :(

York's monologues in the car are indeed quite good.

Zachack

ninj4junpei said:
FFFFFFUUUUUUUU- I passed by that flower while going to the hospital. I almost stopped to check it out. :(

York's monologues in the car are indeed quite good.
Just replay chapter 2. I'm pretty sure there's a guarantee of rain in that chapter. Just don't do it if you're in Chapter 9 or thereabouts (google key glitch). You'll get a chance to hear all of the conversations even if you use the radio, simply by driving to places for the first time.

Also, at a certain point you can start getting new cars, which makes driving less awful.

Zachack said:
Just replay chapter 2. I'm pretty sure there's a guarantee of rain in that chapter. Just don't do it if you're in Chapter 9 or thereabouts (google key glitch). You'll get a chance to hear all of the conversations even if you use the radio, simply by driving to places for the first time.

Also, at a certain point you can start getting new cars, which makes driving less awful.
Do you have to play through the whole chapter again?

I am playing this without a manual, so there is a lot that I don't understand about this game.

Zachack

ninj4junpei said:
Do you have to play through the whole chapter again?

I am playing this without a manual, so there is a lot that I don't understand about this game.
Yes. I think that means going through the sawmill again, but when I did iirc it the whole thing went pretty fast. I did have the infinite SMG by then, though. As memory serves, Chapter 2 has a lot of sidequests that are available.

Alternatively I could be thinking of a different chapter entirely and just got the flower by using infinite pickles and slept until it rained. I think I also went out and got the bones during that chapter.

edit: I'd hesitantly recommend using gamefaqs for the first few chapters. The main walkthrough will direct you to a lot of stuff that you can get early on without spoiling any of the story. I am of the opinion that the game fights you too much to make exploration fun, so doing whatever you can to get past that and to the story is the way to go.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Any tips about this whole eating and sleeping thing? I still don't get the point of it or if it even effects anything at all. I just keep sleeping then buying food.

Im like 5 hours into the game with $6,000+ in cash. I think i skipped alot of "Free time" by always gonig straight to the mission as well. and i passed the flower on the road also! :(

Edit: Well its 7:20 in game and i have until 15:00 until my mission but everything is closed. Wth am i suppose to do? Just drive around doing nothing?

Minamu

ninj4junpei said:
I played the first half of the game with a controller that wouldn't center the left stick properly (too much sprinting in call of duty haha) so all cars always thought I wanted to turn left in the middle of the road all the time >_< You can live with it ;)

Top Bottom