• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
PepsimanVsJoe said:
You can either sleep or smoke.

Yea i just noticed the smoking. Some shops just opened up as well!

Minamu said:
I played the first half of the game with a controller that wouldn't center the left stick properly (too much sprinting in call of duty haha) so all cars always thought I wanted to turn left in the middle of the road all the time >_< You can live with it ;)

Wow exact same problem my controller has, Makes driving somewhat annoying in DP but im not going to fault the game for my shitty controller.

Im basically 24/7 drunk driving. If the cops pull me over it was Zach drinking not I.

Edit: Was exploring around and came upon "Brians house" Ran to the back and moved some statues and found some gun only to find there is now a door blocking my way out that supposively wasn't loaded so i ran through it, Also it said i completed a sidequest by picking up the gun but its not showing in my sidequest log at all.

Edit 2: Looks like the gun i found is a flamethrower with infinite ammo. lol

Minamu

Wow, didn't know you could do that :S
You start that quest by collecting 7 human bones spread around the world, and then give them to Brian. Go collect those bones and you'll get an infinite magnum later on :)

iy0u9l.jpg

I got to the end of the game and gave up during the final boss fight. I tried to finish it, I really did.

The entire game was a complete and utter waste of time. I am glad that I only rented this. I thought the story was trying to be parody of Silent Hill, but at some point it forgot that and ended up becoming far, far worse.

MrDaravon

ninj4junpei said:
I got to the end of the game and gave up during the final boss fight. I tried to finish it, I really did.

The entire game was a complete and utter waste of time. I am glad that I only rented this. I thought the story was trying to be parody of Silent Hill, but at some point it forgot that and ended up becoming far, far worse.

Tastes aside, how in the fuck do you spend enough time to get to the end of any game that is a "complete and utter waste of time," and then just not even finish the last battle? That makes no sense.

If you thought the game had no redeeming features you probably should have stopped playing a long time ago. You sort of need to like the characters and story to enjoy this game. Otherwise, as you said, you're wasting your time playing it.

And the game is based off of Twin Peaks a lot more than it is Silent Hill.

ninj4junpei said:
::WHOOSH::

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The thread title is really misleading. Shouldn't it be "Deadly Premonition |OT| Damn good coffee, Zach!" or something? No wonder I never payed attention.

novery

I'm doing a really cool little video related to peoples' reactions to DP. Who here would be willing to offer a comment or two on video about the game? Both positive and negative comments are welcome.

(It'll take ten minutes of your time.)

If you're interested, please PM me!

This game is great, and there is o much hilarious side story to see. My friend and I played through a large chunk of this, while at the same time watching Twin Peaks. Really a great and hilarious game.

One thing though: the fucking music became so annoying while playing! The same songs over and over! I remember when a new tune would play, we would freak out because we thought it would only be those two songs repeating the entire game. Now that it has been about 6 months since playing it, I can enjoy these songs again.

Oh, and the repeating dialogue of the enemies. "I don't want to diiiieeeeeee!". "Found you!".

Oh god this game is truly something else.

krakov

HurricaneJesus said:
One thing though: the fucking music became so annoying while playing! The same songs over and over! I remember when a new tune would play, we would freak out because we thought it would only be those two songs repeating the entire game. Now that it has been about 6 months since playing it, I can enjoy these songs again.

I never noticed this, but that may be because the music is so damn awesome.

Patryn

Hey You said:
Some like this game, others don't. Does anyone recommend I try this out?

If you want all your games polished like a gem, avoid.

If you can see past that, and see a game's brilliance behind some flaky gameplay, definitely give it a try.

Clevinger

Hey You said:
Some like this game, others don't. Does anyone recommend I try this out?

You like Shenmue, running around in a city with awkward controls and doing sidequests? Like quirky humor? Can get past bad graphics? Like Twin Peaks?

If you said yes to at least two out of four, get it.

krakov said:
I never noticed this, but that may be because the music is so damn awesome.

Exactly how I feel. Every time I hear the saxophone come in, man I love it. I don't see how anyone could hate any of the music in this game? It's just not reasonable for me to think that.

SO GOOD.

Hesemonni

Banned
Ok, Currently in chapter 1, playing on easy.

Is there something I absolutely need to remember to do/keep in mind to enjoy the game to its fullest?

Hesemonni said:
Ok, Currently in chapter 1, playing on easy.

Is there something I absolutely need to remember to do/keep in mind to enjoy the game to its fullest?

Play with friends and laugh at it together.

Beware wierdo wall crawling enemies.

Get the radio to warp around town as soon as possible.

Patryn

Minamu said:
Get the infinite SMG, magnum and flamethrower :)

At the very least, get the infinite SMG as soon as possible (take the first map challenge from the Milk Barn).

Your enjoyment will increase exponentially if you do that one thing.

Minamu said:
Language and lack of subs, I believe? Fairly import-unfriendly I think.

The Asian version has an English dialogue option. However, a lot of text is in Japanese. A translation guide would likely be necessary at times.

Article

Here are some more details about the Asian version from this review found on Play-Asia.com

Link

Clevinger

RadioHeadAche said:
The Asian version has an English dialogue option. However, a lot of text is in Japanese. A translation guide would likely be necessary at times.

Article

Here are some more details about the Asian version from this review found on Play-Asia.com

Link

And unfortunately, not all dialogue is voiced. So you'd be lost on like 85% of sidequest dialogue.

That's why you google search for FAQs. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing if you really want to play this. Personally, I've been contemplating an import. It sounds quirky enough for me to enjoy, but it's about $50 to import which seems a bit much and especially so without a demo to try. I recently imported the Siren: New Translation BD because I assumed it would be something that I would enjoy (and I liked the demo), but I actually find it to be frustrating and mostly unpleasant. As a result, I'm reluctant to dive in and import something I don't really know too much about.

Why exactly was this not given a US PS3 release?

Clevinger

RadioHeadAche said:
That's why you google search for FAQs. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing if you really want to play this. Personally, I've been contemplating an import. It sounds quirky enough for me to enjoy, but it's about $50 to import which seems a bit much and especially so without a demo to try. I recently imported the Siren: New Translation BD because I assumed it would be something that I would enjoy (and I liked the demo), but I actually find it to be frustrating and mostly unpleasant. As a result, I'm reluctant to dive in and import something I don't really know too much about.

Why exactly was this not given a US PS3 release?

I think people who don't have a 360 and really want to experience it should just watch the Something Awful Let's Play of it. It's a 100% run, all the sidequests and everything, it's in perfect video quality, and you don't have to play the clunky and tedious parts of the game. Plus, you can even fast-forward the zombie parts to get to the good stuff.

TylDurden

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
What's different between the PS3/X360 versions?
Loading times/graphics(lol)/sound/whatever?
I imported the PS3 version just cause I favor my PS3 over my 360 and the main quest was about 95% playable without a guide, honestly I don't remember ever having to use a guide but there were a couple puzzles that weren't voiced that I had to muck around with. There's no English "option" the game was originally created with English voice so thats the default and only option of all territories. Many of the sidequests are very hard without a guide but you don't need a translation guide, just your regular sidequest guide will do, the only main thing I really needed translated was the radio warp locations, which some people don't even know about or use during their first playthrough. Graphics are just as good (or better) but loading is a tad longer. Controls are great, think RE4 on PS2. Trophies are much funner. You get one per side quest and many other things. I will Platinum this dammit except I'm still looking for a translation/figuring out how I'm gonna do the medical question in Japanese. I've also played through it about twice on my 360 in english and some of the item description and stuff do add just that much more atmosphere to the game. I got my PS3 version from Korea for $20 USD. I've seen the same seller still selling them on ebay. The cover is 1million times better than the US or EU covers.

P.S. Also I felt the zombies rushed and even warped much faster in the 360 version but that could just be my imagination. I do however believe that Ignition very well may have done this to make it more western action friendly.

BTW, watching this game played is probably one of the worst things you can do, controls are no were near as bad as most people make them out to be and you will tear your hair out as you watch them do stupid stuff and play as if they've never touched a game or controller before. Do yourself a favor and just play this gem all by your self and make your own judgments about it.

Yuterald

TylDurden said:
I imported the PS3 version just cause I favor my PS3 over my 360 and the main quest was about 95% playable without a guide, honestly I don't remember ever having to use a guide but there were a couple puzzles that weren't voiced that I had to muck around with. There's no English "option" the game was originally created with English voice so thats the default and only option of all territories. Many of the sidequests are very hard without a guide but you don't need a translation guide, just your regular sidequest guide will do, the only main thing I really needed translated was the radio warp locations, which some people don't even know about or use during their first playthrough. Graphics are just as good (or better) but loading is a tad longer. Controls are great, think RE4 on PS2. Trophies are much funner. You get one per side quest and many other things. I will Platinum this dammit except I'm still looking for a translation/figuring out how I'm gonna do the medical question in Japanese. I've also played through it about twice on my 360 in english and some of the item description and stuff do add just that much more atmosphere to the game. I got my PS3 version from Korea for $20 USD. I've seen the same seller still selling them on ebay. The cover is 1million times better than the US or EU covers.

P.S. Also I felt the zombies rushed and even warped much faster in the 360 version but that could just be my imagination. I do however believe that Ignition very well may have done this to make it more western action friendly.

BTW, watching this game played is probably one of the worst things you can do, controls are no were near as bad as most people make them out to be and you will tear your hair out as you watch them do stupid stuff and play as if they've never touched a game or controller before. Do yourself a favor and just play this gem all by your self and make your own judgments about it.

I own the NA 360 version and the Asian PS3 version as well. It is unfortunate that we never got a translated NA version for PS3. Deadly Premonition is a classic and it's truly for those who appreciate Dreamcast/PS2 era quirky titles. This is not a game for the 'next gen bros' who first started playing games on the original Xbox. There is a certain sophistication level required to enjoy this game
lol!

While the import version is completely playable the player misses out on a lot of the character material from the sidequests. There is so much backstory hidden away in the sidequests that flesh out the characters. You are definitely missing out if you only play the Asian version. I guess it's better than never playing it though. The cover art is way better on the Asian versions and the donut disk art is fucking awesome!

And I agree, watching this game is the WORST thing you could do. Deadly is an experience and spoiling it through youtube/quicklooks/lets play is unfair to the game and to yourself.

TylDurden

Banned
I once tweeted SWERY to push for a NA release with move controls a la RE4 Wii. He thought it was a great idea. Only time will tell. It's very doubtful though.

Minamu said:
Get the infinite SMG, magnum and flamethrower :)
And the infinite melee weapons like the wrench. Just as important, in my opinion.

Yuterald said:
Deadly is an experience and spoiling it through youtube/quicklooks/lets play is unfair to the game and to yourself.
The Something Awful Let's Play is just as good, if not better than playing it yourself. I wouldn't consider it "spoiling the experience". He's doing a 100% run, showing off every weapon/car/optional conversation and is doing it in a funny, entertaining, and unique way. It's kind of unfair to compare what he's doing to the Endurance Runs and YouTube videos/LPs.

Yuterald

EricDiesel said:
And the infinite melee weapons like the wrench. Just as important, in my opinion.

The Something Awful Let's Play is just as good, if not better than playing it yourself. I wouldn't consider it "spoiling the experience". He's doing a 100% run, showing off every weapon/car/optional conversation and is doing it in a funny, entertaining, and unique way. It's kind of unfair to compare what he's doing to the Endurance Runs and YouTube videos/LPs.

That's cool I guess if you have already played through the game once. It's different if you have a passing interest in the game and then you go and spoil it all by watching it though. I can't condone watching a game you have never played before no matter how funny/good someones playthrough video may be.

clockpunk

One of my most enjoyed games for many a year. The one little detail which always makes me laugh is one of the foodstuffs you can pickup is simply labelled: 'The Pickles'. I don't know why but it has me in stitches every time I see it! :D

Clevinger

Yuterald said:
That's cool I guess if you have already played through the game once. It's different if you have a passing interest in the game and then you go and spoil it all by watching it though. I can't condone watching a game you have never played before no matter how funny/good someones playthrough video may be.

Why? Most people find the gameplay tedious and clunky. There's nothing being spoiled except the gameplay, which isn't very good. I guess you could say the sense of exploration is being spoiled, too, but I'd say that's a very small price to not have to play the game largely in a foreign language.

Clevinger said:
Why? Most people find the gameplay tedious and clunky. There's nothing being spoiled except the gameplay, which isn't very good. I guess you could say the sense of exploration is being spoiled, too, but I'd say that's a very small price to not have to play the game largely in a foreign language.
Exactly. I don't get what you're on about with this "spoiling yourself". He's showing off everything in the game. The only thing missing is the interaction, which is the worst part of the experience for a lot of people. The combat sections are loose, the sidequests can be kind of a pain to complete due to conditions having to be met that aren't entirely obvious, the driving is unwieldy.

I'm fine with playing it, in fact I find screwing around in Greenvale is a lot of fun, but I can see where people would just say "screw it, I'll watch the 100% run". The characters and story are the most interesting part, anyway. And he's showing literally every conversation and cutscene, so how is that spoiling yourself?

Personally, I'm all for people being exposed to this game that only have a PS3 or don't want to deal with the combat sections. Otherwise they'd never see it. You could say "well, too bad for them", but that's a snobby attitude to have. Also, it seems like you haven't seen any of it, so your assessment seems pretty uneducated.

I caved under my own insanity and bought the PS3 Asian version on Ebay. It probably won't arrive until the end of this month, but in the meantime I've been checking out guides and such. I noticed a trophy list, but it's in Japanese. Is there anyone who can translate it? I did a google translate, but I could not understand it at all.

No, I did not buy it for trophies.

Edit: I forgot to post the link.

randomwab

RadioHeadAche said:
I caved under my own insanity and bought the PS3 Asian version on Ebay. It probably won't arrive until the end of this month, but in the meantime I've been checking out guides and such. I noticed a trophy list, but it's in Japanese. Is there anyone who can translate it? I did a google translate, but I could not understand it at all.

No, I did not buy it for trophies.

The trophies are for each of the fifty or so sidequests in the game. I got the Platinum for it last year with the help of a few guides, it wasn't too hard with the exception of one or two quiz quests. If you need help, fire me a PM.

Holy shit the translations on those trophies!

"Unfortunately, food:
Dinner only on a rainy day Emily is a fermented dairy food to the appropriate degrees to make cooking at home, Emily, "I will help her to find and"

Small Mailman said:
Holy shit the translations on those trophies!

"Unfortunately, food:
Dinner only on a rainy day Emily is a fermented dairy food to the appropriate degrees to make cooking at home, Emily, "I will help her to find and"

Well, once you've done this sidequest, it kinda makes sense :)

Yuterald

EricDiesel said:
Exactly. I don't get what you're on about with this "spoiling yourself". He's showing off everything in the game. The only thing missing is the interaction, which is the worst part of the experience for a lot of people. The combat sections are loose, the sidequests can be kind of a pain to complete due to conditions having to be met that aren't entirely obvious, the driving is unwieldy.

I'm fine with playing it, in fact I find screwing around in Greenvale is a lot of fun, but I can see where people would just say "screw it, I'll watch the 100% run". The characters and story are the most interesting part, anyway. And he's showing literally every conversation and cutscene, so how is that spoiling yourself?

Personally, I'm all for people being exposed to this game that only have a PS3 or don't want to deal with the combat sections. Otherwise they'd never see it. You could say "well, too bad for them", but that's a snobby attitude to have. Also, it seems like you haven't seen any of it, so your assessment seems pretty uneducated.

What do you mean I haven't seen any of it? Seen the side content myself or the playthrough videos? I couldn't care less about the walkthroughs. I also never said "well, too bad for them", I said you'd be missing out on the side conversations, which is true, but it's still better than not playing it. I've done enough of the sidequests to appreciate the impact they have on the character development in the game. In the moment, while playing the game, seeing and doing all the sidequests just adds to the experience. The janky-ness of the game, the odd controls, the tedium of the quests and objectives, it's the entire point of the game, well at least that's how I interpreted it.

With any game, watching it over actually playing it will leave the player/person with completely different impressions. DP, specifically, is a game where I feel should ABSOLUTELY be played before watching it, especially if you have even the slightest interest in it.

It's not a "walkthrough", first of all. It's a Let's Play. Its purpose is to entertain, not inform. Again, your judgement is based purely on assumptions. And secondly, I just finished saying it was a 100% run with every sidequest, conversation, and cutscene in it. He is showing off everything in the game. Why do you keep insisting that people would be missing out?

Like I said, the only thing they'd be missing out on is loose aiming, awkward movement controls, unwieldy vehicles, and personal exploration and discovery. Only one of those is a real loss, if you ask me.

I recently picked this game up again after feeling highly nostalgic and needing a fix on my favorite story in video game history. still as incredible as it was, still my favorite game story.

I've been obsessing over it the past few days, I have TWO cards left and then it's special door time!

randomwab said:
The trophies are for each of the fifty or so sidequests in the game. I got the Platinum for it last year with the help of a few guides, it wasn't too hard with the exception of one or two quiz quests. If you need help, fire me a PM.

Sweet, thank you. How is the PS3 version performance-wise?

Top Bottom