• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Companies, We are not Smokey McPot

etiolate

Banned
I am a bit sick of game companies portraying gamers as grimacing 'dudes' doing 'extreme' things.

For example this gamefly ad:
gamefly_02.jpg

What exactly is going on here? A man opens his mailbox with some pained expression on his face. Why? Is that happiness? Was he ramroded from behind by a wayward walrus? Seriously America, our vocabulary consists of more than "woah" and "dude".

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Whoa...that dude is totally Xtreme. :p

They have to, the EA crowd demands it.

Joe

who's buying the most games? men 18-34

what kind of music do most of those buyers? nu-metal, rock, "punk" rock, etc...

and you can just take it from there. they're going for a certain gaming audience, not every single gamer.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
They don't show the lower half of the man's body; he's naked and his genitals are getting bitten off by a pit bull.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Saint Cornelius said:
I don't see what "smokey mcpot" has to do with anything

Yeah no kidding. Why did you have to bring him into this? He's a friend of mine...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
etiolate said:
I am a bit sick of game companies portraying gamers as grimacing 'dudes' doing 'extreme' things.

It's a smile. The fact that you can't read a facial expression and consider the act of opening one's mailbox to be "extreme" says more about yourself than the rest of America.

Joe

id say its more than a smile. i mean they fit a lot into that small picture. hes got an earring in each ear, the spiked hair, the orange shirt, and the "dude, gamefly rocks!" smile.

etiolate

Banned
It's a smile. The fact that you can't read a facial expression and consider the act of opening one's mailbox to be "extreme" says more about yourself than the rest of America.

Do you look like that when you smile or open your mailbox?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Are you suggesting they put a camera in the back of my mailbox to capture my candid response, a la Reality TV? You're right, that *would* be more in keeping with contemporary American tastes :p

And, yeah, I DO get excited when I receive something in the mail I genuinely want, rather than just junk mail and bills.

Grey Fox

Looks like he has lockjaw or just got a botox injection.

Either that or a very large stick is being jammed up his ass.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I don't know about you guys but if I see a camera inside my mailbox I'd have a look of horror and confusion not constapation and horror.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
this-is-my-headline-love-me-20040820031308359.jpg

What the crap. I swear I remember Hall looking a little chubby some time ago (OK, maybe a few years) There is some hard work here.

Top Bottom