• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

dear lord! I'm speachless over this AMIGA game, Lionheart, a stunning platformer....

doncale

Banned
........one that I had never heard of, until about a half hour ago, thanks to a Google search.

holy mother of sweet Jesus, this is the most incredible looking side scrolling game I've ever seen on the original Amiga. Lionheart just PISSES all over Shadow of The Beast, and its very very playable too, unlike SoTB, as all Amiga fans know. but Lionheart is simply unbelievable. you could easily mistake it for a first-gen NEO GEO game. even though the Amiga is not on par with the NEO GEO, Lionheart rivals Magician Lord in visuals and art, even surpassing ML some ways.

ok enough talk. here's some scans of Lionheart for those who've never heard of it.

http://www.cus.org.uk/~alexh/games/lionheart/lionheart2.html

ap2.jpg

the_one2.jpg

cu_amiga.jpg

the_one3.jpg

one thing is for sure, there are worse looking NEO GEO, Saturn, GBA games than Lionheart for sure.. when was Lionheart made? my guess is 10 or more years ago...

doncale

Banned
Lionheart has some of the best parallax scrolling on an 80s machine, Amiga 500, that I've ever seen. 2D is so much better than 3D, it really is.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Lionheart is probably the most technically accomplished game on A500, together with Elfmania, Mr. Nutz and Stardust.

GODS, on the other hand, is way prettier, as it's art direction leaves the games above in dust.

You can tell just by the screenshots alone how classy GODS look to this day, compared to the uber cheeze of Lionheart (Elfmania and Stardust are not as cheezy though :p ). Noone can deny the tech used in Lionheart, though.

*edit* Lionheart was made in 1993.

eso76

Ugh, i've always hated GODS.

Lionheart is literally generations ahead, technically and visually.

I hated Gods' 30 fps and its art direction always felt terribly 'old style'.
I hated its backgrounds, completely uninspiring, with a complete lack of depth, perspective, open spaces so that they ended up looking like bas-reliefs.
I hated the fact they were built the 8-bit way: that is assembling a few small repeating square tiles, which made everything look rigid and geometric, and didn't allow for bigger elements.
Characters didn't have any hint of perspective either since you'd only see their profile
from a perfect 0° incidence angle...

Minimalist. Very detailed but with a 'last gen' approach.

I believe it was a good game, but i could never get past the terrible first impression.

And Bitmap Bros were TEH OVERRATED back then. Actually no, Team 17 was.

ourumov

A lot of Amiga games featured awesome graphics...The problem is sometimes the art used was horrible for everyone not being Conan...
Never owned one but I still remember them very clear.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I loved my Amiga 500. I still have it right under my bed, and all the parts and software too. Maybe i'll hook it up one day to see if it still works.

hobbitx

Those are both some great looking games, do you guys have real Amigas or do you run them on one of the emulators?

Also I was wondering, what was the name of that really really sick Amiga game people always talk about. I think it had a post apocalyptic theme and if you wanted too, you could destroy the world at the end I think. The game was so popular it had it's own little website, does anyone know what I'm talking about?

GIR

Banned
GODS Rocks, defiantly one of the best games of its generation, waiting patiently for the GBA version to arrive, hope it has not been canned, does anyone know the current status of GBA GODS? Last thing I heard the developers handling it (Crawfish Interactive) died or something :confused:

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
hobbitx said:
Those are both some great looking games, do you guys have real Amigas or do you run them on one of the emulators?

Also I was wondering, what was the name of that really really sick Amiga game people always talk about. I think it had a post apocalyptic theme and if you wanted too, you could destroy the world at the end I think. The game was so popular it had it's own little website, does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Wasteland?

Crawfish closed its doors quite some time ago. SFA3 Upper for the GBA was their last title, I believe.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Those games are pretty but C'mon....Turrican II > Lioheart, GODS, SotB, Sword of Sodan, et al.

And as far best technical acheivement, I'd say Dragon's Lair II. Nearly arcade perfect, but spanning across 8 floppies!!!! :yikes:

Fularu

Banned
isamu said:
Those games are pretty but C'mon....Turrican II > Lioheart, GODS, SotB, Sword of Sodan, et al.

And as far best technical acheivement, I'd say Dragon's Lair II. Nearly arcade perfect, but spanning across 8 floppies!!!! :yikes:

IAWTP

That said, Factor 5, The Bitmap Brothers (Xenon 2), Sensible Software, Team 17 or Thalion (No Second Prize!) ruled back in the day

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ugh, i've always hated GODS.

Lionheart is literally generations ahead, technically and visually.

I hated Gods' 30 fps and its art direction always felt terribly 'old style'.
I hated its backgrounds, completely uninspiring, with a complete lack of depth, perspective, open spaces so that they ended up looking like bas-reliefs.
I hated the fact they were built the 8-bit way: that is assembling a few small repeating square tiles, which made everything look rigid and geometric, and didn't allow for bigger elements.
Characters didn't have any hint of perspective either since you'd only see their profile
from a perfect 0° incidence angle...

Minimalist. Very detailed but with a 'last gen' approach.

I believe it was a good game, but i could never get past the terrible first impression.

And Bitmap Bros were TEH OVERRATED back then. Actually no, Team 17 was.
[Extends his hands thorugh the monitor screen / strangling Eso76 - Homer Simpson style!] You must be the only person on the face of Earth who doesn't like the GODS art direction dammit!? :p

Bitmap Bros were class back in the day - visually and aurally!

You can run pretty much every Amiga game on the latest WinUAE (www.winuae.net)

GODS Rocks, defiantly one of the best games of its generation, waiting patiently for the GBA version to arrive, hope it has not been canned
Stop Hoping... It will not come out. If you want pocketable GODS, buy yourself a Pocket PC and play it on the Atari ST or Amiga emulator on it (ST emulator is amazing btw, runs games 100% speed with no frameskip) GODS looks pretty much the same on ST as it does on Amiga, but the sound sucks in comparision, so you'd have to live with it, as PPC Amiga emu is not fast enough to emulate the sound...

Plus, you can buy a conversion of Speedball 2 which is 100% identical to Amiga version except being adapted to vertical screen, which suits the game even better.

Turrican 2 was amazing game, no doubt - but technically Lionheart was doing more, and GODS, IMO, has better style (although Turrican 2 is awesome in it's use of all the colors under the sun and using them well for a change)

Fularu

Banned
Marconelly said:
Turrican 2 was amazing game, no doubt - but technically Lionheart was doing more, and GODS, IMO, has better style (although Turrican 2 is awesome in it's use of all the colors under the sun and using them well for a change)

T2 had way more varied levels, enemies, puzzles than either GODS or LionHeart

cs060mk2

"Also I was wondering, what was the name of that really really sick Amiga game people always talk about. I think it had a post apocalyptic theme and if you wanted too, you could destroy the world at the end I think. The game was so popular it had it's own little website, does anyone know what I'm talking about?"

Do you mean Damage?
It was an (amateurish) finnish game about a man who had it all but became crazy. You started of with a baseball bat that you could smash old ladies and kids with. You could also use drugs to enhance your body.
I had a hard time with this game, I was initally impressed by the large city you could explore but I think it showed to early this was a "homemade" game.

Also the developers proudly declared this game would only be on the Amiga. Then I went to their website and saw the PC version they developed so I posted a question why they lied. I didnt get an answer to that question in the 2 years I checked their page... bunch of liers.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
T2 had way more varied levels, enemies, puzzles than either GODS or LionHeart
Hmm puzzles? I don't think so. GODS had some very clever puzzles, well embedded into the level design. It was actually one of the best games ever in that regard, IMO. I don't remember Turrican 2 being very strong in the puzzle department.

Fularu

Banned
Marconelly said:
Hmm puzzles? I don't think so. GODS had some very clever puzzles, well embedded into the level design. It was actually one of the best games ever in that regard, IMO. I don't remember Turrican 2 being very strong in the puzzle department.

Are you joking? The puzzles in gods were : kill that moster to activate a switch, use said switch to generate a plateforme to reach the unreachable place..

While T2 was full of hidden areas that you had to puzzle out, not to mention the sheer size of its levels, the diversity of them (a shmup in the middle of teh game? right there!)

GDGF

Soothsayer
I have a question about Xenon 2: Megablast. I loved the game (it looked great back in the day), but it ran so slowly on my Amiga 500. Was that it's normal speed, or was it ment for a higher Amiga platform and just ran slowly on the 500?

I thought shadow of the beast was crap.. but it looked good.

best plattformer on the amiga must have been hm.. that froggame :) or that guy with the stick.. from core design. cant remeber the name right now.

The music in gods for the amiga was awesome.. best soundtrack ever?

nation 12 did it.. and it was a nice vocoder thing.. with some lyrics.. "into.. the waterfall.."

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I remember myself playing Gods, my first videogame for a modern computer, and unfortunately one of the few Amiga games I touched in the old days.

The Bitmap Brothers were truly CLASS, there are no words to describre how much I miss them.

best soundtrack ever?
Almost, Megablast for Xenon II was simply :O

Izzy

Banned
Lost Weekend said:
I have a question about Xenon 2: Megablast. I loved the game (it looked great back in the day), but it ran so slowly on my Amiga 500. Was that it's normal speed, or was it ment for a higher Amiga platform and just ran slowly on the 500?

Xenon 2 was designed for non expansion pack Amiga 500. Yes, it was quite slow, and a bit repetitive. I really loved it back in 1989(!), but nowdays I consider it a bit dull and repetitive. There was a Mega Drive rev, too.

Izzy

Banned
Marconelly said:
[Extends his hands thorugh the monitor screen / strangling Eso76 - Homer Simpson style!] You must be the only person on the face of Earth who doesn't like the GODS art direction dammit!? :p

Bitmap Bros were class back in the day - visually and aurally!

You can run pretty much every Amiga game on the latest WinUAE (www.winuae.net)

It was the art style mostly. ST was the lead machine for the Brothers and it showed.

doncale

Banned
I've never played Gods, and dont feel any motivation to do so, going by the screen shots.

anyway as for Lionheart, I know more about it now. it came out in 1993 by Thalion. it took 16 months to make according to the info selectable at Lionheart's title screen. so I was right, Lionheart is 10 or more years old. its also roughly 4 years newer than SotB. I have never seen more impressive side scrolling graphics on Amiga. IMO Lionheart puts Blues Journey (another platformer) on NEOGEO to shame, graphically at least, in most ways.

interview with one of the creators of Lionheart:
http://www.retrogaming.it/interviste/intervista_ad_erik_simon2.htm

Talking with Erik Simon

RG : Eight years have passed since Thalion disappeared. What have you done, speaking about videogames and others, during this time?

Erik : When Thalion ended, some of the team got jobs in the Gütersloh area, were Thalion was located, mostly outside the games business. The bigger part of the team, including myself, went to Blue Byte. There, we worked on Albion, a RPG that we started to develop on the Amiga, but switched later on to the PC. Chris Jungen, our 3D wizard (of No Second Prize fame), worked on 3D routines for several Blue Byte games. After a while we moved to the Mülheim in the Ruhrgebiet, where Blue Bytes headquarters were. I worked there for about 7 years as a game designer, graphic artist, project leader and during the last two years, Head of Development. Beside Albion I worked on Extreme Assault and several other Blue Byte games and helped to finish The Settlers 3 on the project management side. I left Blue Byte at the end of 2000 and I'm working now as Head of Development for JoWooD. As for my private life, I met a woman who became very special to me and married her a few years later.

RG : Being one of Thalion founders, what did you feel when the software house stopped working? Was it a difficoult time or were you prepared to such an event?

Erik : While it was a difficult time indeed, no hard feelings remain of that time. I've been well-informed about what has been going on at Thalion. That gave me the time to get in contact with other interested developers/publishers and to offer the team alternatives after Thalion went under.

RG : We confess we consider Lionheart one of the greatest platform games ever realized as well as one of the most complex (if not the most complex) videogames in the last ten years. In our opinion the technique by which animations, graphic art of sorroundigs and colours were visualized were unrivalled even in a playroom. In other words, in which way did Thalion to create such a massive electronic work of art? In the game development you were a grame designer, weren't you?

Erik : That's right. I did the game design and also designed all of the levels. It's still one of the projects that I'm most proud of and I'm still thankful that I've had the opportunity to work on Lionheart together with Erwin Kloibhofer, the main programmer, and Henk Nieborg, the best pixel artist I've ever met. Together with Michael Bittner, who provided some awful programming like the intro zoom routines and the 3D-scrolling and Matthias Steinwachs' incredible soundtrack this was one of the rare projects where everything fell in place just perfectly.

RG : The parallax levels were literally plentiful, pushing Amiga beyond the "virtual" limits imposed by the processor. Which strategies did you put in action in order to gather such a monstruous technique in an Amiga 500's memory?

Erik : Surprisingly, there wasn't much extreme demo-like coding involved. Erwin and Michael just were very experienced 68000-coders, who knew exactly what they were doing. When I'm not mistaken, a lot of Lionheart's non-timecritical code was even written in C.

RG : As to the coluour simultaneous to video, how did you succeed in visualizing such an exaggerated chromatic variety? They say more than 600 colours simultaneously. Can you confirm it?

Erik : Well, we didn't count the colors, really. Again, it was quite a simple idea: instead of just using copper list color transitions for the background, I suggested to also use this for the foreground graphics. It's just a matter of using the right color tables and switching only one color at a time, so that the eye doesn't recognize the horizontal color switches.

RG : As to the sound, which we consider as magnificient as graphic art, can you tell us who was the creator?

Erik : Matthias Steinwachs was responsible for the sound. Even to that time, he was already very experienced and has been able to produce a very orchestral sound in a very small amount of memory.

RG : In your opinion, would you have been able to convert Lionheart for other 16 bit platforms such as Megadrive or Super Nes? Which would have been the limits in case of porting for the aforementioned? And, above all, did you ever mind to develop something for consoles?

Erik : We certainly would have been able to convert Lionheart to consoles, but we were a very home computer focused company with no console experience and connections. Erwin and Henk went to develop on the Mega Drive for Psygnosis after the Thalion time.

RG : In your opinion, which were Amiga's major virtues? Do you think piracy to have "restricted" computer Commodore's life? Did piracy affect Thalion longevity?

Erik : The Amiga was the superior home computer platform of it's time, it gave us wonderful creative possibilities without having to deal with the restrictions and higher financial risc of the console market. But the downside was clearly the piracy, it has been one of the main reasons for Thalion's end. Well, if we'd have been far better business men, we might've survived anyway, but we weren't totally incompetent fincially spoken. It was just a fact that high quality games didn't sell enough units on this machine anymore.

RG : As for No Second Prize, did polygonal engine cause you any troubles? As they were full polygons, it was amazing to realize that (the whole) everything moved with extreme fluidity and speed. Considering 2D and 3D do you think you fully made use of Amiga's qualities?

Erik : NSP had a wonderful 3D engine, Chris Jungen worked on that stuff for years and years, optimizing every aspect of the engine over and over again. On one Amiga show we had to put up a sign saying "No turbo cards used!" because we grew tired of people asking. And yes, I really think we did all that could be done with standard and moderatly accelerated Amiga hardware of that time. Just think of the texturemapped 3D-dungeons of Ambermoon.

RG : Thalion owes a lot to Atari ST too, on which has developed a lot of games. Would you show us, if possible, the differences in hardware between Amiga and Atari ST? On which platform was it easier to programme?

Erik : We've been very dedicated ST-people because our roots were in the ST-demoscene. During Thalion's first years we produced even more advanced technological wizardry on the ST as we later did on the Amiga. But we also learned that people didn't seem to care that much for the programming tricks we did. Although we always tried to concentrate on the gameplay, too, sometimes the technological tricks took away too much production time. And, surprisingly, on the level of ST-programming that we were, the differences to the Amiga weren't that big anymore.

RG : With Ambermoon a practically brand-new RPG rypology was achieved. The fusion between bidimensional sorroundings and dungeon in 3D once more showed Thalion great qualities in the sphere of Amiga. What can you say, briefly, about the development of the title? They say that the tridimentional routines were developed for the first time on Atary ST, weren't they?

Erik : That's true, they did run on the ST first. Later, Micheal Bittner developed some Blitter tricks that accelerated the technique on the Amiga quite a bit.

RG : On 1994, that is the last year of life of Thalion, a beat'em up named "X - Fighter" was announced. This game never appeared on the market. Would you be so kind as to give us some information about the title? Why was its development topped?

Erik : Frankly, I haven't got a clue about this game, I've never been involved in that. The only guess I can offer is that our UK office might have wanted to distribute the title in Thalion's turbulent end stage.

[
RG : Which game do you usually play? Is there a videogame you "prefer"?

Erik : I still prefer RPGs,although I hardy have time to play them anymore. Usually I just throw a quick glance on new titles coming out. On consoles, I enjoyed Mario 64 quite a bit.

RG : In your long career as programmer/designer which game did you like best?

Erik : The favorite games that I've been working on are Dragonflight, Wings of Death, Trex Warrior, Lionheart, Ambermoon, Albion and Extreme Assault.

RG : Which software house are you working for at present?

Erik : Right now, I live in Austria, working as Head of Development for JoWooD Productions. They're a publicly traded company who own some of the most experienced studios in the German speaking territories, such as Massive Development (Aquanox). All internal studios taken together, we're about 100 developers.

RG : Now let's change the subject. We would like to know a little more about your "private life". What about your hobbies?

Erik : Nothing unusual there: I like to cook, read, travel, ride my motorcycle. I paint in oils from time to time, not nearly often enough for my own liking, though. I enjoy a good meal, a good wine, a fine cigar and some scotch, preferrably in the company of my wife and old friends.

RG : You have just come back from GDC in San Josè. What's the matter there? Would you kindly give us your impressions on such event?

Erik : A good GDC this year for me, no groundbreaking new ideas but a lot of good ideas for all the daily development problems. The industrys production methods mature slowly. In order to make ever better games, we'll have to get better at boring stuff like project management processes.

RG : Before closing just another question: if you had the possibility would you develop a Lionheart sequel for console?

Erik : Oh yes, I'd love to. But I'm afraid that only us hardcore old-timers really remember the game, so it's not a brand that is strong enough to justify a sequel that'll take a multi-million-dollar budget to develop on next-gen consoles.

RG : Okay, Erik, it's all. We greet you and thank you for your extreme kindness and availability in the hope we can meet, perhaps when Thalion Software will be refounded :).

Erik : Thank you for bringing up all the fond memories with this interview!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Are you joking? The puzzles in gods were : kill that moster to activate a switch, use said switch to generate a plateforme to reach the unreachable place..
Wow, if you can make a comment like this, it's safe to say that you missed so much of the game. There's really a lot delicacy and intricacy in GODS, stuff that you don't see immediately, stuff that you just miss on the first run, or scratch your head over - and that is not even required to actually finish the game. There were so many hidden bonuses that required a lot of experimenting to figure out. Even the very first room in the game features some crystals that are tough to get, and require special switch sequence to open the trap door. Not to mention that in many parts of the game you could go about the problem in at least two different ways, or taking different routes, or doing different actions that would make challenges/rewards very different.

that froggame or that guy with the stick.. from core design. cant remeber the name right now
Frog game: "Superfrog". Guy with the stick from Core Design: "Bubba and Stix"

Bot awesome games no doubt. Bubba and Stix had some wicked offbeat puzzles - I loved that game.

"into.. the waterfall.."
It was "Into... the Wonderful"

And, I remember Thalion's "No Second Prize". Man, what a smooth moving 3D engine that was, all on the stock A500.

ckohler

I liked how in GODS, objects bounced when they were dropped. While unrealistic it was a clever visual device to draw your eye to new things appearing on the screen. They made a cool "clang" sound too. =)

GIR

Banned
Marconelly said:
Stop Hoping... It will not come out. If you want pocketable GODS, buy yourself a Pocket PC and play it on the Atari ST or Amiga emulator on it (ST emulator is amazing btw, runs games 100% speed with no frameskip) GODS looks pretty much the same on ST as it does on Amiga, but the sound sucks in comparision, so you'd have to live with it, as PPC Amiga emu is not fast enough to emulate the sound...
That's too bad I was really looking forward to it and I don't have enough disposable income to buy more toys :( I've played the ST version too, actually I've played every version except the Acorn one :D Maybe we should hope for an updated 3D version instead, I wonder how well Gods would translate in a 3D world though, I once attempted to make a Gods Quake mod years ago but I didn't get past changing the font and a few textures cause I'm lazy :)

Marconelly said:
Wow, if you can make a comment like this, it's safe to say that you missed so much of the game. There's really a lot delicacy and intricacy in GODS, stuff that you don't see immediately, stuff that you just miss on the first run, or scratch your head over - and that is not even required to actually finish the game. There were so many hidden bonuses that required a lot of experimenting to figure out. Even the very first room in the game features some crystals that are tough to get, and require special switch sequence to open the trap door. Not to mention that in many parts of the game you could go about the problem in at least two different ways, or taking different routes, or doing different actions that would make challenges/rewards very different.
And that is Gods in a nutshell, so many hidden things here and there, here's a quote from a very old magazine called "SuperPlay Gold - The Complete 1993 Super Nintendo Guide" that sums it up nicely:
plenty of switch pulling and object manipulation can reveal all sorts of secret sub levels and other good stuff that aren't really essential to finishing the game at all, but are jolly good fun to explore anyway
I wonder how many people discovered the MegaChest in the Labyrinth, or figured out how to keep the bomb which is tons of fun to play with and power up to the max :D

kevm3

I remember some beautiful platformer on the genesis by psygnosis, but i can't recall the name of it for the life of me. I think the character had blonde hair and a red shirt on with a green cape... I'm not sure though. Anyone know? Frink or something?

Ahhh flink it is..

hobbitx

cs060mk2 said:
"Also I was wondering, what was the name of that really really sick Amiga game people always talk about. I think it had a post apocalyptic theme and if you wanted too, you could destroy the world at the end I think. The game was so popular it had it's own little website, does anyone know what I'm talking about?"

Do you mean Damage?
It was an (amateurish) finnish game about a man who had it all but became crazy. You started of with a baseball bat that you could smash old ladies and kids with. You could also use drugs to enhance your body.
I had a hard time with this game, I was initally impressed by the large city you could explore but I think it showed to early this was a "homemade" game.

Also the developers proudly declared this game would only be on the Amiga. Then I went to their website and saw the PC version they developed so I posted a question why they lied. I didnt get an answer to that question in the 2 years I checked their page... bunch of liers.

Ah ha, that was indeed the game I was looking for. I even found the little homepage I was talking about, design hasn't changed a bit.
http://www.damagegame.com/history.htm

Glad to see a lot of respect for GODS.

Also Ubisoft's UNREAL on AMIGA was a beautiful side scroller(in between dragon shooting levels).

GIR

Banned
Forgot to post this link I found a few months ago, there is an excellent MP3pro remix of 'Into to Wonderful' by Bluejooz on this Bitmap Brothers tribute site: Gods Country

Fularu

Banned
Marconelly said:

Frog game: "Superfrog". Guy with the stick from Core Design: "Bubba and Stix"

Bot awesome games no doubt. Bubba and Stix had some wicked offbeat puzzles - I loved that game.

It was "Into... the Wonderful"

And, I remember Thalion's "No Second Prize". Man, what a smooth moving 3D engine that was, all on the stock A500.

Make no mistake. I LOVE GODS, and the BB. GODS, along with Turrican 2 and Xenon 2 is my most played amiga game. It has indeed lots and lots of secrets, but for me, Turrican 2, for it's levels, puzzles, music and variety is the better game while gods owns it in the graphics department.

And yes, No Second Prize ruled, but you had to have a very good mouse to enjoy it

lordmrw

I've always been meaning to try out an amiga emulator, but i have almost no clue as to what games to play. Can anyone point me to a site that might have pics or reviews?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
How can anybody like that shit that is Shadow of the Beast? I have it for Duo, the game is horrible... run along, punch floating eyeballs, dodge hands that come out of the ground, repeat for 10 minutes, get stuck because you forgot to go and get an item elsewhere, and have to reset the game. Talk about good game design... NOT!

I knew the game sucked when I started it, went down a well in the beginning of the game (it took 2 minutes to climb down the stairs, got to a locked door, and had to climb all the way back up)

I never had an Amiga (being American and all... was the Amiga even released in the US?) but the graphics in that game look pretty nice... lovely art style. I prefer European games to American games, usually.

Fularu

Banned
djtiesto said:
How can anybody like that shit that is Shadow of the Beast? I have it for Duo, the game is horrible... run along, punch floating eyeballs, dodge hands that come out of the ground, repeat for 10 minutes, get stuck because you forgot to go and get an item elsewhere, and have to reset the game. Talk about good game design... NOT!

I knew the game sucked when I started it, went down a well in the beginning of the game (it took 2 minutes to climb down the stairs, got to a locked door, and had to climb all the way back up)

I never had an Amiga (being American and all... was the Amiga even released in the US?) but the graphics in that game look pretty nice... lovely art style. I prefer European games to American games, usually.

Beast is an awesome game for its music (Wittacker rules), graphics and general feel. Sure the game is hard and the ending is almost frustrating, but the game has many fond memories because of that, graphix and music.

As for the Amiga, it was a professional machine in the US and had many games made for it in the US, even though most of the stuff came from european dev house.

BTW the console versions (baring the awesome genesis one) all suck.

doncale

Banned

Shadow of the Beast qon TurboDuo is a watered down version of the original 1989 Amiga game. the gameplay was never good in any version, but the Duo version was particularly bad. the Duo is afterall, a souped up 8-Bit console with a CD-ROM. the TG16 and TurboDuo are not anywhere near even the oldest Amiga in most aspects.

I never had an Amiga (being American and all... was the Amiga even released in the US?)

yes, the Amiga was released in the U.S. first I believe. the first model of Amiga came out in 1985 in the U.S. -the same year the NES came out.

eso76

Fularu said:
Sure the game is hard and the ending is almost frustrating .

Nah, it was a great moment in videogames' history having to destroy that supposedly huge guy responsible for you being a goat man by punching his toenail to death.

Actually, who knows, he might not have been a huge guy at all. All we got to see was his feet and ankle, might as well have been a giant feet. Scary.

eso76

doncale said:
the Duo is afterall, a souped up 8-Bit console with a CD-ROM. the TG16 and TurboDuo are not anywhere near even the oldest Amiga in most aspects.

In some aspetcs.
Pc Engine could hold its own against amiga in many aspects, and even surpass it in some.

Well, and TG16 had great versions of Strider, Ghouls'n'Ghosts and Street Fighter 2.

doncale

Banned
In some aspetcs.
Pc Engine could hold its own against amiga in many aspects, and even surpass it in some.

very true. both the PC Engine and Amiga have their strengths and weaknesses.

Amiga pros
-CPU
-audio
-color pallete
-programmable tricks with CPU + custom chips

PC Engine pros
-hardware sprites
-displayable colors onscreen
-programmable tricks with custom gfx chip
-loading time of HuCards

Well, and TG16 had great versions of Strider, Ghouls'n'Ghosts and Street Fighter 2.

TG16 didnt get Strider - the PC Engine CD-ROM with Arcade Card got it. although its still a PCE/TG16 CPU and graphics chip doing Strider, but with CD-ROM and the extra RAM of the Arcade Card.

Ghouls n Ghosts was on the SuperGrafx which had 2x the graphics horsepower of the PC Engine, 2x the VRAM and 4x the main RAM.

the only game you mentioned that was running on a stock PC Engine was Street Fighter 2`

Fularu

Banned
eso76 said:
Nah, it was a great moment in videogames' history having to destroy that supposedly huge guy responsible for you being a goat man by punching his toenail to death.

Actually, who knows, he might not have been a huge guy at all. All we got to see was his feet and ankle, might as well have been a giant feet. Scary.

*COUGH* Congratulations *COUGH*

a little bit frustrating ;)

Agent X

Fularu said:
Beast is an awesome game for its music (Wittacker rules), graphics and general feel. Sure the game is hard and the ending is almost frustrating, but the game has many fond memories because of that, graphix and music.

As for the Amiga, it was a professional machine in the US and had many games made for it in the US, even though most of the stuff came from european dev house.

BTW the console versions (baring the awesome genesis one) all suck.

I thought the Lynx version of Shadow of the Beast was very nice.

Top Bottom