• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think the core ethos of the gameplay being less about doing stuff, than doing stuff as well as you can is going to be the deal breaker for most people. Its an approach that only really works if you are willing to invest in what the game has to offer.

I think that most people who actually buy the game will be able to get into that headspace, and it seems evident to me that it highlights the crucial difference between players and critics.

DS is the second game this year I've really enjoyed playing that's gotten tarred with the "outstays its welcome" brush. And as with Days Gone, I find it a completely redundant criticism.

I'm sorry but the mentality of burning through a game, just to say you've "beaten it" just baffles me. I can understand critics who likely get paid the same to write a review for a 5hr game as a 50hr one getting more antsy about slow builds and long playtimes, but that is a fault of the occupation, not the game.

Being a short, snappy experience is a characteristic, not a merit. If you like something as a pastime, more is just more, it adds value especially when we are talking about products that are sold at standardized price-points.

My point is, Death Stranding is not an experience that benefits from being rushed through. It by design suits a much more considered and patient approach than most "action" games. The more you rush, the more likely you are to get frustrated, and the less rewarding the experience will be.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Reminder to use spoiler tags for any type of key story spoilers.
Not just put them in spoilers but write on those tags too please

For example:

Like this!
Like this

Nobody wants to guess when it comes to spoilers..
Yep, please contextualize spoiler tags with an episode number so people know what stage of the game is being referred to.

As a friendly reminder. Please put any spoilers in this format. Items, just label it "Items or Rewards".

If someone wants to create a spoiler thread, that is highly encouraged, especially since quite a few completed the game and I am sure want to chew the tar with one another.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think the core ethos of the gameplay being less about doing stuff, than doing stuff as well as you can is going to be the deal breaker for most people. Its an approach that only really works if you are willing to invest in what the game has to offer.

I think that most people who actually buy the game will be able to get into that headspace, and it seems evident to me that it highlights the crucial difference between players and critics.

DS is the second game this year I've really enjoyed playing that's gotten tarred with the "outstays its welcome" brush. And as with Days Gone, I find it a completely redundant criticism.

I'm sorry but the mentality of burning through a game, just to say you've "beaten it" just baffles me. I can understand critics who likely get paid the same to write a review for a 5hr game as a 50hr one getting more antsy about slow builds and long playtimes, but that is a fault of the occupation, not the game.

Being a short, snappy experience is a characteristic, not a merit. If you like something as a pastime, more is just more, it adds value especially when we are talking about products that are sold at standardized price-points.

My point is, Death Stranding is not an experience that benefits from being rushed through. It by design suits a much more considered and patient approach than most "action" games. The more you rush, the more likely you are to get frustrated, and the less rewarding the experience will be.

Yeah, Days Gone got a raw deal if you ask me. That was a fantastic game and one of my favorites this year. I actually skipped it at launch due to the reception, but I'm glad I ended up buying it when I saw it on sale a few months later.

Javthusiast

Banned
it8r43dotoy31.gif

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I think the core ethos of the gameplay being less about doing stuff, than doing stuff as well as you can is going to be the deal breaker for most people.
honestly i dont see those as the core ethos of the gameplay. you can drop cargo along the way and they accept partial packages. you can let stuff get ruined by the weather and it's still good. i think as long as you keep doing stuff you get rewarded. make a delivery, however you do it, and you get new gear. they don't make you redo missions if you only have a partial order. they don't withhold new gear unless you S rank. seems pretty flexible. do stuff how you want to, as long as you are completing deliveries, you get rewards.

Wink

Chapter 5 best chapter. My Sam was so exhausted by my decisions
he had to sleep sitting in the snow.
Felt really bad for him. Took so long to get to a place where I could finally let him rest, I only had one square of stamina left. Really appreciated that segment after having such an easy life beforehand with all the built up highways. Also really love the new mechanics you get in that chapter letting me make it a breeze to traverse after it took so much out of Sam. That whole system of progression is just so satisfying. The Dark Souls of Civil engineering.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Chapter 5 best chapter. My Sam was so exhausted by my decisions
he had to sleep sitting in the snow.
Felt really bad for him. Took so long to get to a place where I could finally let him rest, I only had one square of stamina left. Really appreciated that segment after having such an easy life beforehand with all the built up highways. Also really love the new mechanics you get in that chapter letting me make it a breeze to traverse after it took so much out of Sam. That whole system of progression is just so satisfying. The Dark Souls of Civil engineering.
You monster! It was a bit emotional for me if I'm being honest

Just when Mama grew into me :(

Verdanth

About 35 hours in and still on chapter 3.

I like the game, but I think I've been doing too much side content, and repeating the same mistake I did with Phantom Pain, which is starting to drain my patience with the game.

Need to rush a little through the story I guess. That or divide my time with another game, so I don't get bored in Death Stranding.

Welp.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Well there is a first time for everything...
This game manage to make me like more the walking section compared with the mediocre shooting section, it's kinda of a miracle for a combat lover like me...

I'm start to think that the action part on mgs5 was made by a konami guy and not by kojima...

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
on a more serious note, there's some gnarly studies about caesarearn children that're worth discussing in the spoilers thread (down the line)

There's something I really hate about this game, and it's something I hated about Metal Gear Solid V as well. There's an mini cutscene for everything, recycling some materials? 2 mini cutscenes. Getting on a motorbike? cutscene. Taking a shower in the private room? 4 damn mini cutscenes you've got to skip through if you don't want to watch Reedus showering again and again. Shits ridiculous. The game does a lot of things well, but other things can get so tedious that they just start to on my nerves after a while.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
honestly i dont see those as the core ethos of the gameplay. you can drop cargo along the way and they accept partial packages. you can let stuff get ruined by the weather and it's still good. i think as long as you keep doing stuff you get rewarded. make a delivery, however you do it, and you get new gear. they don't make you redo missions if you only have a partial order. they don't withhold new gear unless you S rank. seems pretty flexible. do stuff how you want to, as long as you are completing deliveries, you get rewards.

Yeah but the actual process of the making each delivery is measured qualitatively across a bunch of categories, and getting the highest ranking is a matter of planning, performance, and overall pride in doing the task as quickly and smoothly as possible.

What I mean is although you can be reductive and say "fetch quest", every step in every delivery is gamified in some way, hell even zipping down a road on a bike you have the central power-strip to stay on if you can. The "fun" is in the mentality that there is value in performance, and not just avoiding fail-state conditions.

That to me is why the game is pretty flexible and forgiving, its to give this performance <-> accomplishment vibe space to breathe. Less stick, more rope in short.

Well there is a first time for everything...
This game manage to make me like more the walking section compared with the mediocre shooting section, it's kinda of a miracle for a combat lover like me...

I'm start to think that the action part on mgs5 was made by a konami guy and not by kojima...
It's intentional. The combat is not the focus of the game. Sam is not a legendary soldier like Snake anyways.
The game still gives you a lot of fun tools to mess with the Mules tho.

Psykodad

Banned
You know what sucks?

I'm getting the feeling that it'd be wise to shift my focus on the story and try to finish it up relatively quickly, because I doubt it'll take long for spoilers to pop up left and right on the internet. :/

Mista

Banned
You know what sucks?

I'm getting the feeling that it'd be wise to shift my focus on the story and try to finish it up relatively quickly, because I doubt it'll take long for spoilers to pop up left and right on the internet. :/
They're already out mate but I know very well how to avoid me. No Death Stranding subreddit for me and no Youtube because their recommendations are fucking garbage

But to be honest I was thinking of doing the same until I reaches Episode 8 and said " Nope, fuck that" I am enjoying it so why the rush

Robhimself

I can't wait to get home and start raiding Mule camps again and steal their shit, just so I can start building roads and bridges......

SLB1904

Banned
Don't get all the hype for this.. will get once it hits ps hits for 15 just to try it out, maybe.

its a very good game. try later when its cheap..
for some reason remind of demon souls
never had interest but for reason, neogaf was telling me is a great game
downloaded demon souls and was like this is wack, but neogaf was like its good, then i was like let me play a little bit more and beat the first boss and i wouldn't let go.
and yeah that's how souls game came to be.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's intentional. The combat is not the focus of the game. Sam is not a legendary soldier like Snake anyways.
The game still gives you a lot of fun tools to mess with the Mules tho.
i'm not talking about mule combat, i can't say more without spoiler.

Last edited:
I have a few critiscisms.
The camera is terrible in tight spaces as expected. Sure you can hold L1 and use first person view. But you can't interact or use weapons. Had this tense moment exploring some BT filled ruins become an annoyance because of the camera.

Vehicle handling and physics sucks. Vehicles have no momentum. And when you get stuck on an obstacle and keep accelerating once you get unstuck the vehicle blasts off. Oddly the same happens with Sam.

Robhimself

I have a few critiscisms.
The camera is terrible in tight spaces as expected. Sure you can hold L1 and use first person view. But you can't interact or use weapons. Had this tense moment exploring some BT filled ruins become an annoyance because of the camera.

Vehicle handling and physics sucks. Vehicles have no momentum. And when you get stuck on an obstacle and keep accelerating once you get unstuck the vehicle blasts off. Oddly the same happens with Sam.
Camera up close is shitty at best. I can't count the times that I was seeking shelter under a rocky overhang and all I wanted was for the camera to position itself correctly. Ended up turning Sam, colliding with the wall and then franticly running after my cargo which was sliding downhill. FFS. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That whole premise doesn’t make any sense at all and I love it.

They mentioned the oxytocin and dopamine high they get. I think it's the excitement of risking your life with BT's and other carriers to steal cargo in a time where it's either suicide through fear, or live in such a hellish world and make due. Thrill seeker pirates basically.

Karppuuna

I think that vehicle handling is good if you consider the terrain you are driving, it's really hard to make perfect physics in that kind of terrain.

I'm now 20 hours in and episode 6 and the game just keeps getting better and better.
I'm really happy that this game isn't about shooting and combat, there are already tons of that kind of game in the market.
This game gives me a little similar vibes than The Long Dark, that game is also about the journey.

Top Bottom