• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

LostDonkey

Just finished.

42 hours.

WOW. Look, more than once in the game I questioned wether it was worth carrying on. Some of the treks are ridiculous, but there are ways to get through them unscathed.

This game is something else though and Im glad I experienced it.

That ending. Well i thought it was. Oh it is....no wait.... 🤔 Kojima! 😂

Roni

Gold Member
I have a question
what's the point of cutting BTs with your handcuffs? Can you permanently clean map sections from them or smth? Otherwise i dont see any reason to engage with them instead of ignoring

That's the silent kill option for BT's. You can clear out a map by killing all BT's. But that won't stop more from returning when it rains again.

Roni

Gold Member
This game is starting to be a slog for me and I hope I will be able to see it through to the end. I'm still in Chapter 3 ffs, can anyone in a spoiler free way give me an idea of roughly how much playtime is left? I just did the missions where
you take the small thermonuclear bomb you were supposed to take to Fragile to a crater lake.

I'm finding the gameplay more and more chore-like and I'm not having fun rebuilding the roads and running out of supplies all the time, perhaps I'm not playing properly, I don't know. I like the story a lot so far and want to see it through to the end, it's just a bummer when I go to play for a couple hours and the whole session can feel like busy work with no real narrative bite.

Focus on the story if the gameplay isn't gripping you... You'll have a much better time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So have people figured out all that happens in the private room ?

Sometimes porter points to the shower, to the mirror, and all those Easter eggs? Is there something behind

The nightmares with BB or Higgs?

I've also noticed that the lights change in the room...

Its a kojima game, I want explanations !

For the most part, you'll get those explanations. As ridiculous as a lot of it is, this is probably his most well-explained story.

WindomURL

Question about the
game collector-- Have fulfilled a number of his requests & deliveries, but it seems that he's stuck at just under two stars (maybe 3?), with the gauge not filling any further. Went ahead and did some more main story progression, thinking it was locked or something, and went back to fulfill some more, but his star gauge remains seemingly frozen.

Is this by design? Is he just very tough to please? So far, no other npc has been so difficult to max out. Perhaps there's one particular delivery that drives it forward that I've not yet undertaken?

Sakura

Currently on Chapter 5. Really wish more roads could be built by other players, but it's pretty obviously limited. I don't think it you should show up and every road is already built for you, but I also don't think it should feel like you are the only one building anything.
It feels really good though once you have a huge stretch of road finished. I just cruise everywhere on my bike.
One complaint I would have is the animation when you switch into BT timefall and then when the scanner pops out is pretty annoying. It stalls your vehicle for a few seconds too, and I've fallen off the highway because of it.

Roni

Gold Member
Question about the
game collector-- Have fulfilled a number of his requests & deliveries, but it seems that he's stuck at just under two stars (maybe 3?), with the gauge not filling any further. Went ahead and did some more main story progression, thinking it was locked or something, and went back to fulfill some more, but his star gauge remains seemingly frozen.

Is this by design? Is he just very tough to please? So far, no other npc has been so difficult to max out. Perhaps there's one particular delivery that drives it forward that I've not yet undertaken?

I haven't focused on him too much, but my friend told me he's going through the same thing right now. Might be a specific thing for this Prepper.

Mista

Banned
This game is starting to be a slog for me and I hope I will be able to see it through to the end. I'm still in Chapter 3 ffs, can anyone in a spoiler free way give me an idea of roughly how much playtime is left? I just did the missions where
you take the small thermonuclear bomb you were supposed to take to Fragile to a crater lake.

I'm finding the gameplay more and more chore-like and I'm not having fun rebuilding the roads and running out of supplies all the time, perhaps I'm not playing properly, I don't know. I like the story a lot so far and want to see it through to the end, it's just a bummer when I go to play for a couple hours and the whole session can feel like busy work with no real narrative bite.
Drop the game

Atrus

Gold Member
Question about the

Certain preppers and facilities won’t progress until you receive emails from them. Typically you have to sleep or wait awhile after delivery for the cap to advance.

This is so that preppers won’t go from hating you to being tentatively supportive to being your best friend within the span of seconds.

Completing a new order for them also seems to provide more points than replaying an older one.

WindomURL

I’ll have to check and see what my rating is with him. Did he already give you the backpack cover?
No, not yet. And I want that real bad.
Certain preppers and facilities won’t progress until you receive emails from them. Typically you have to sleep or wait awhile after delivery for the cap to advance.

This is so that preppers won’t go from hating you to being tentatively supportive to being your best friend within the span of seconds.

Completing a new order for them also seems to provide more points than replaying an older one.
Ah, this may be the trick. I believe I may have a couple new messages from him that I haven't yet read. Thank you!

Atrus

Gold Member
Currently on Chapter 5. Really wish more roads could be built by other players, but it's pretty obviously limited. I don't think it you should show up and every road is already built for you, but I also don't think it should feel like you are the only one building anything.
It feels really good though once you have a huge stretch of road finished. I just cruise everywhere on my bike.
One complaint I would have is the animation when you switch into BT timefall and then when the scanner pops out is pretty annoying. It stalls your vehicle for a few seconds too, and I've fallen off the highway because of it.

I’m pretty sure the reason they put the slow time effect in is to disguise or soften the loading of the BT’s and rain effects.

You’re right though in that they should have made the road veer slightly away from BT areas to avoid the loading.

There’s about 3 unavoidable encounters like this when using the road. An additional one near a city can be skipped by simply going off-road away from the BTs when the road curves toward their territory.

nowhat

So the game wants you to enter your birthdate, like MGS V. However, unlike that here the only reward you get is....

just a bloody email. I understand there are no NPCs to interact with, but I would have appreciated something more, the MGS V "easter egg" was really fun.

(Also yay, I'm 40. And yes, I do feel old.)

So the game wants you to enter your birthdate, like MGS V. However, unlike that here the only reward you get is....

just a bloody email. I understand there are no NPCs to interact with, but I would have appreciated something more, the MGS V "easter egg" was really fun.

(Also yay, I'm 40. And yes, I do feel old.)
You get a cake in your safe house. And out in the wild if you yell someone will yell back wishing you a happy birthday.

I'm 40 as well and i feel old too. Anyway, my birthday is in january so i'll have to wait to see it myself.

Last edited:

nowhat

You get a cake in your safe house. And out in the wild if you yell someone will yell back wishing you a happy birthday.
Oh damn, I just logged in briefly (yesterday so I'm not able to do more research on this) to see if anything was different, but was way too hungover to really play the game. Oh well, such is life. And it gets sucher and sucher.

Terenty

Agree with everything. One or two roads being built by other players is very little. It should track how much resources you put in and if you build a lot it should allow more complete roads to appear in your world.

Like some nods require 5k metals and ceramics and even with others' resources filling half of it, it is still too much.

Fake

Gold Member
Hi guys, long time no see.

So
I reach the episode 15, so I beat the game right?

Just for me know if I can talk about the ending. And was a hell of ending if so.

Keihart

i think i mentioned this before, but your vehicle doesn't only stop for the animation, it is supposed to fail and shut off for a second. There is a mail explaining that the rain affects electronics when it starts probably because something something time distortion.
I agree tho, the animation is bothersome, if it was without the close up but your vehicle stopped working regardless it would be a lot better IMHO.

Talking about the roads....when starting chapter 5 and going to the mountains i drived my long range lvl 3 full to the brim with metals and ceramics, felt like "honk honk! road construction crew coming through!"

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
No, not yet. And I want that real bad.

Ah, this may be the trick. I believe I may have a couple new messages from him that I haven't yet read. Thank you!

In my hazy weekend I managed to 5 star everyone in that region, including the Collector. This is in Ep 5 before meeting Mama.

So you can definitely raise his level up. Try checking the local disb centers and cities for deliveries TO him.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Oh damn, I just logged in briefly (yesterday so I'm not able to do more research on this) to see if anything was different, but was way too hungover to really play the game. Oh well, such is life. And it gets sucher and sucher.

You'll also get an additional Cliff flashback. He'll come in with a birthday cake, turn to you (the player, not BB) and wish you a happy birthday.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There’s about 3 unavoidable encounters like this when using the road. An additional one near a city can be skipped by simply going off-road away from the BTs when the road curves toward their territory.

You can also
get out and clear the path ahead on foot by slicing any umbilicals in the way using the upgraded handcuffs, then drive through the path you create. Its a great way to get heavy and fragile loads across BT terrirory.

Last edited:
Looking back since I beat it I could do without chapter 12 or 13 (save chapter 13 for a sequel), and just wrapped it up in Chapter 14, which was awesome.

Can't go wrong with this part in Chapter 14 (not a spoiler, just the song that plays):

Looking back since I beat it I could do without chapter 12 or 13 (save chapter 13 for a sequel), and just wrapped it up in Chapter 14, which was awesome.

Can't go wrong with this part in Chapter 14 (not a spoiler, just the song that plays):

Yes, I agree 12 and 13 should have been MUCH shorter. Much of the exposition should have been cut out or paced out differently in smaller pieces.

I feel like Kojima had all this stuff in his head he wanted to cram in, but ran out of dev time. So he cramed all this exposition into 2 chapters. And it is an execution failure.

But really a lot of that stuff he was trying to say was so in the weeds and unimportant to the overall plot that it should have been cut entirely or made an optional cut scene you watch as a collectable.

But at least 14 was pretty good. And I got some good feels from that one.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Correct! At least that's my understanding. I figured Episode 15 is just the endgame+ portion. Unless I'm missing something, lmao. 🤔
Great. Thx. When I turn ON my notebook I'll give a great review by myself about the game.
In meantime, I'll complete every remaining delivery I forget and of course will help other players building structure for them.

My quick review from the smartphone:
Was a great experience. Never played anythink like that. And yes, I know the game have room for improvement, but still an amazing game. Even better when you learn how to make things right.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree 12 and 13 should have been MUCH shorter. Much of the exposition should have been cut out or paced out differently in smaller pieces.

I feel like Kojima had all this stuff in his head he wanted to cram in, but ran out of dev time. So he cramed all this exposition into 2 chapters. And it is an execution failure.

But really a lot of that stuff he was trying to say was so in the weeds and unimportant to the overall plot that it should have been cut entirely or made an optional cut scene you watch as a collectable.

But at least 14 was pretty good. And I got some good feels from that one.

Yes, 14 was excellent and a great ending. 11 could have been the final battle, alter things a bit, and go right into 14 and I'd be perfectly happy with it.

Terenty

Is there a way to donate chiral crystals to facilities?

I have like a thousand, but cant fabricate pcc because the facility has none.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so last night i finished chapter 5. a question about the story:

Momma died when I got her back to her sister after that long trek. I must have missed something, was there a story reason why she died? Was that a consequence of cutting the umbilical on her BB? I was a little distracted at the time so I may have missed some key dialog.

Admittedly, i accidentally dropped her several times during that long trek, so I wonder if that even factored into it. At one point my UI told me "Momma is near death". Tbh it took me a number of attempts, where she did die many times along the way. That area w the armed guards, you really have to take your time to sneak through, there is no other way. Loved all of it tho!

game is still great fun, even if the story is depressing LOL, the whole package is just so sweeping and majestic. diving into a daily game where i can just run around and play and explore this world with a chill relaxed pacific sci fi world is so dope. I feel I've made enough progress on the Eastern part of the map so now I'm finally getting more into the mountains. feel like i've given the Junker enough stuff at this point hah. i did find a few new Auto Pavers in the valley between the mountains and it put a big smile on my face!

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Do you always have to build roads yourself? I just thought they would be made in time by someone else. If you make one it appears in others people's game for likes?

Mossybrew

In Chapter 8 and I have to say going to and fro in these snowy mountains is dampening my enthusiasm a bit. Hoping to move on from this environment soon.

Nymphae

Banned
Do you always have to build roads yourself? I just thought they would be made in time by someone else. If you make one it appears in others people's game for likes?

I am so confused about the social nature of this game. I feel like everything that is supposed to be real players is just the CPU but I have no idea really. It feels like a solitary game despite there apparently being influence of real people...somewhere. I wish they would finish the damn roads for me because I find that a huge pain in the ass.

RPGCrazied

I am so confused about the social nature of this game. I feel like everything that is supposed to be real players is just the CPU but I have no idea really. It feels like a solitary game despite there apparently being influence of real people...somewhere. I wish they would finish the damn roads for me because I find that a huge pain in the ass.

Yeah. Under social it says I have like 40k likes from other players. That seems a little hard to believe. I did build one road myself. The others one I found I haven't and its sitting here unbuilt.

Last edited:

Terenty

Another thing, vehicles apparently cant be destroyed altogether, they stay 9% indifenetly. You can drive them full speed and transport cargo as usual.

There were a lot of times where i tried to park a truck somewhere outside if timefall, turns out it was not worth a hassle

What's the point of them being damaged then?

molasar

Banned
Another thing, vehicles apparently cant be destroyed altogether, they stay 9% indifenetly. You can drive them full speed and transport cargo as usual.

There were a lot of times where i tried to park a truck somewhere outside if timefall, turns out it was not worth a hassle

What's the point of them being damaged then?
Bumps and falls will do the rest.

vpance

Some of it is a bit of an illusion. Mainly the connection is from the structures people build. You'll never (or very rarely?) see a section of road completely built up for you though. Supposedly if you have a lot of strand contracts then that helps with the road contributions. For me almost all my road sections in episode 3 were at least 1/3 to 3/4 built up. Maybe 2 or 3 sections I had to do all on my own.

molasar

Banned
Are you sure?
Yeah, I have completely destroyed vehicles this way. Actually it has happened to me with the first bike you get in the first area of the game. I was not happy about it expecting to handle everything by walking, but then I found out how often the game makes saves.

Terenty

Some of it is a bit of an illusion. Mainly the connection is from the structures people build. You'll never (or very rarely?) see a section of road completely built up for you though. Supposedly if you have a lot of strand contracts then that helps with the road contributions. For me almost all my road sections in episode 3 were at least 1/3 to 3/4 built up. Maybe 2 or 3 sections I had to do all on my own.

I had 2 sections completely build by others in chapter 3 and 2 sections in ch. 6. All the others are like half or 2/3 ready

And yeah, likes maybe bullshit. I have 70k from players and it seems too much. I did build all the roads on one side if the mountain though.

Unless every time someone uses a road and i get 1000 likes for that, it doesn't seem possible to earn so many

It does make you think, maybe the whole online aspect is an illusion? There seems to be no way to prove it either way

Last edited:
Top Bottom