• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

ethomaz

Banned
But what i mean is, if you cant do anything with them then what difference does it make?, something to break up the tedious stumbling about the wilderness? 'oh look over there, another player......thats great'.
I have no ideia.
I need to play it this week :)

Stuart360

So you saying this game is bad too?

dims

shadow-of-the-colossus-screen-04-ps4-us-08sep17
That game is a boss run game though. The open world was just a way to find your way to the bosses, and get health and stufff rom the mini temples.
Besides i'm not very keen on that game. :messenger_beaming:

Look lets not get all revisionist again shall we. 'boring empty open worlds' have always been a thing talked about, and has always been talked of as a bad thing.

molasar

Banned
No matter whatever is said about the game, it needs to be experienced personally to make a real subjective opinion about it. I want to discover it this way even if I end up disappointed.
A strange thing is that I do not remember the last time when I was in a similar situation.

GymWolf

Gold Member
of course on era a guy is being piled on (is that the right expression?) because he said that this quote from a review are hyperbolic and laugh inducing

The package delivery system built into Death Stranding makes me want to hug the UPS and FedEx person every time they deliver a package. Yes, I probably would be arrested for such a thing, but they deserve it. Think about it, they have a shit ton of packages to deliver, they have to keep them organized, accessible, and safe. That’s a lot to think about when you’re spending 8 hours a day doing such a task. I will predict this, they will absolutely excel at this game when it releases next week. They will probably get the most out of it and, honestly speaking, good for them.

It played with my heartstrings, had me hugging my wife and kids more, and genuinely had me re-evaluate what really mattered in life, and the connections I had made with people along my own journey. It’s more than art to me, it’s an experience that shows the finality of life, the finite amount of time we have, and what we should intend on doing with the remaining time spent on this earth. This is something most gamers probably haven’t thought about when playing a game, but I guarantee you’re going to have these thoughts as you progress through Death Stranding.

i mean i'm buying the game day one but that is some exagerate shit, it looks like something writted by MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima under acids...

ethomaz

Banned
of course on era a guy is being piled on (is that the right expression?) because he said that this quote from a review are hyperbolic and laugh inducing

The package delivery system built into Death Stranding makes me want to hug the UPS and FedEx person every time they deliver a package. Yes, I probably would be arrested for such a thing, but they deserve it. Think about it, they have a shit ton of packages to deliver, they have to keep them organized, accessible, and safe. That’s a lot to think about when you’re spending 8 hours a day doing such a task. I will predict this, they will absolutely excel at this game when it releases next week. They will probably get the most out of it and, honestly speaking, good for them.

It played with my heartstrings, had me hugging my wife and kids more, and genuinely had me re-evaluate what really mattered in life, and the connections I had made with people along my own journey. It’s more than art to me, it’s an experience that shows the finality of life, the finite amount of time we have, and what we should intend on doing with the remaining time spent on this earth. This is something most gamers probably haven’t thought about when playing a game, but I guarantee you’re going to have these thoughts as you progress through Death Stranding.

i mean i'm buying the game day one but that is some exagerate shit, it looks like something writted by MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima under acids...
That was Kojima goal from the interviews... make you care, connect to people... if he archived that is another discussion :D

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
That was Kojima goal from the interviews... make you care, connect to people... if he archived that is another discussion :D
for a game about connecting people, it sure creating a lot of division between gamers, maybe not what kojima was expecting 😆 (or maybe yes?)

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

ethomaz

Banned
I did not play the original when it came out and at that time this would've been a great experience. I played the ps4 version and it was absolute shit. Nice visuals but everything else was ugh.
It was a better experience on PS2 than PS4 but the PS4 version is fine even I believing the PS3 I better too.

Last edited:

Wink

It was a better experience on PS2 than PS4 but the PS4 version is fine even I believing the PS3 I better too.
The PS2 version was way too ambitious for that console. It was a miracle that it was even functioning. The remake removing all the rough edges made it more playable, but it lost some of its charm on the way. Can't experience now what it was like playing it the day it came out. Nothing quite like it. Reminds me of something else that's on the horizon at the moment...

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The PS2 version was way too ambitious for that console. It was a miracle that it was even functioning. The remake removing all the rough edges made it more playable, but it lost some of its charm on the way. Can't experience now what it was like playing it the day it came out. Nothing quite like it. Reminds me of something else that's on the horizon at the moment...

Like what? Horizon 2? RDR2? You got me curious.

Wink

Like what? Horizon 2? RDR2? You got me curious.
I think RDR2 kinda qualifies (for the PC crowd who haven't played it yet). I wish Horizon 2 will, Zero Dawn was fun with some good improvements on the formular here and there, great combat, but rather lame quests and writing so now that the engine is built and can be scaled up to serve PS5 I hope they can work on some more dynamic stuff happening in the world.
(Also there's a new Kojima game coming, I suspect you heard it's rather unique)

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
I can't wait to play it. But I'm also realistic in that it might be a bit messy.

I understand he has been stuck with mgs for quite a while now. He suffered a lot of problems with konami for a long time and hamstrung by them and limited. Then had a bad breakup with them. Then he works on pt and has his vision crushed and taken away.

And now he is finally completely free. Runs his own studio his own way, can make anything he wants, has a lot of money, and a lot of support behind him. For lack of a better phrase he is nigger rich and he is going nuts trying to cram in everything he has wanted to do creatively speaking, can work with all the people has wanted to and so on. So I expect he will just go nuts and throw everything in with the kitchen sink and be like a kid in the candy store with dad's credit card. So I expect this game to be less focused and a bit messy. But I am still sure it will be interesting, weird and fun in it's own way even if it isn't that great. I have faith his next game will be much better once he is settled more.

I did not play the original when it came out and at that time this would've been a great experience. I played the ps4 version and it was absolute shit. Nice visuals but everything else was ugh.
Agree, game was hot garbage. No clue what anyone saw in that game, the controls on the horse was so annoying.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
From what I read delivery is addictive and give a strong sense of accomplishment.
And each delivering is different from each other... even the same delivering can be done in different ways.
I think I really will like that game.

Oh, right, I've done 100s of fetch quests in plenty of open world games, sure it might be fun with the carrying mechanics for a few hours but after that it will get tedious,

I mean the games bulk of gameplay seems as satisfying as achievements on GTA4/5

For a AAA flagship games I can't believe people are praising this.

It's worse then RDR2 with no story missions. Infact RDR2's side quests seem to have more variety then death stranding.

Terenty

Oh, right, I've done 100s of fetch quests in plenty of open world games, sure it might be fun with the carrying mechanics for a few hours but after that it will get tedious,

I mean the games bulk of gameplay seems as satisfying as achievements on GTA4/5

For a AAA flagship games I can't believe people are praising this.

It's worse then RDR2 with no story missions. Infact RDR2's side quests seem to have more variety then death stranding.

Have you played the game?

thelastword

Banned

There was a time when such games were praised, especially in the PS3 era.....I remember EDGE hated cookie cutter games, generic games which did nothing new or innovative...aka "more of the same" that was their thing to say at the time......Remember when games like Crazy Taxi came out or JSRF or Shenmue........DS is something new, perhaps a new genre, you would think that an outlet like EDGE would be more enthused or the industry at large, but you have persons who just want more of the same and want to be word assassins on the internet......."Hey Death Stranding is Garbage".....When will people have respect for this industry if we don't....

Kokoloko85

The reviewer who gave Death Stranding 35 also gave Mass Effect Andromeda a 9.5!!! Yes a 9.5?

This is a clear indication to why this guy shouldnt have been reviewing anything and why metacritic shouldnt take every reviewer seriously....

Last edited:
The deliveries are actually rather limited in variety.

It's mostly get stuff from here to there with different conditions.
Either with time limit, cargo damage limitation, amount of cargo or get my stuff from the place i dropped em. And you can select a premium option with stricter requirements. That's the only thing you do in the game. for both the main missions and the side tasks (except the two shooting chapters). There are no sidequests, the delivery menu has orders for sam which are the main missions and general orders which are the "sidemissions". The reason to do them is to increase the relation with each establishment so you can add them to the UCA network which allows you to build structures in the new network space,, fabricate stuff and take more orders. Each establishemnt has more or less 10 orders which you can repeat and they are more or less the same for all establishements.

You can also find lost cargo scattered on the map which you deliver to the establishement that lost it for more likes.

The relations is measured with likes you get for each order you complete.

The premise of the game is that you will plan your route, to avoid BT's, avoid timefall, etc to go to your destination at the best time. Never planned anything and i have about 160 legends of legend awarded orders. What i'm trying to say is that the sandbox element is there, but i never saw the reason to go out of myself to be creative, the game never game me the urge to do it or any rewarding factor. It isn't even hard to do the orders even on harder difficulty.

Last edited:

Wink

The reviewer who gave Death Stranding 35 also gave Mass Effect Andromeda a 9.5!!! Yes a 9.5?

This is a clear indication to why this guy shouldnt have been reviewing anything and why metacritic shouldnt take every reviewer seriously....
That has not necessarily anything to do with each other, but it's still funny. Definitely not a reviewer I'd put on my list of trusted opinions.

Sosokrates

Have you played the game?

No, but just going by reviewers saying you are a delivery guy that delivers stuff, the story does seems interesting what the death stranding is, and the main characters immunities to some of its effects, however if the game is 80% or more deliverying stuff I will stand by what I say, I hope it isn't though because the story seems fascinating.

molasar

Banned
No, but just going by reviewers saying you are a delivery guy that delivers stuff, the story does seems interesting what the death stranding is, and the main characters immunities to some of its effects, however if the game is 80% or more deliverying stuff I will stand by what I say, I hope it isn't though because the story seems fascinating.
What upcoming game are you excited about?

Wink

It is. Probably more like 90%.
What I don't get is why you want to categorically bar high production value from ideas that don't fit into your understanding of what high production is promising you. It has a fresh kind of online implementation, a big story with big actors, arguably the best graphics of the generation, it fulfills all requirements of a AAA game. Is it the fact that there's too much gameplay in terms of micromanagement or that it's not necessarily exciting gameplay? Does triple A mean full of hella action and is not allowed to mean anything else?

Ovech-King

I think you probably have to play it to sink all in . Yes the core gameplay of walking around seems very basic but with the human enemies, the dead ghosts , the audio, visuals, storyline and general concept message it try to convey, I suspect if you have the patience to tag along, the game is probably fantastic as a whole. The question is , I guess, how much are YOU willing to pay for that kind of ride.

Last edited:

mekes

I’m still undecided. Im sure its very relatable, but it’s nearing the end of this gen and I’ve been burned many times. It’s easier to wait for discounts now.

Sosokrates

It is. Probably more like 90%.
What I don't get is why you want to categorically bar high production value from ideas that don't fit into your understanding of what high production is promising you. It has a fresh kind of online implementation, a big story with big actors, arguably the best graphics of the generation, it fulfills all requirements of a AAA game. Is it the fact that there's too much gameplay in terms of micromanagement or that it's not necessarily exciting gameplay? Does triple A mean full of hella action and is not allowed to mean anything else?

I just want the game to be enjoyable, if Arthur was a postman in RDR2 I would of melted down.

Wink

I just want the game to be enjoyable, if Arthur was a postman in RDR2 I would of melted down.
I don't wanna rain on your parade and anything could happen, but while Kojima said he wants players to have fun playing, it clearly requires a certain type of person finding joy in the minutiae to truly find the moment to moment gameplay loop enjoyable and the much greater focus of the game is on trying to be meaningful.

T-Square

hate to say some of this commentary has stopped me in my tracks. I would feel really disrespected and otherwise sad if I spent $60 and 85 hours on an artsy walking simulator

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
hate to say some of this commentary has stopped me in my tracks. I would feel really disrespected and otherwise sad if I spent $60 and 85 hours on an artsy walking simulator

Just get it on a sale as I will. Black Friday is coming, more sales are coming up near the end of the year. Buying games at full price in November is really stupid.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Is this officially the most divisive game?

If you remove the 3/4's and 10/9+'s it is. Like it has been said a million times in this thread but everyone keeps ignoring, just like below 4 scores, the above 9 are utter shit only because of Kojima. If this was a Konami game it would sit at a 7 average which isn't bad either but you get the point.

Roni

Gold Member
If you remove the 3/4's and 10/9+'s it is. Like it has been said a million times in this thread but everyone keeps ignoring, just like below 4 scores, the above 9 are utter shit only because of Kojima. If this was a Konami game it would sit at a 7 average which isn't bad either but you get the point.

Man, you can't handle this game being well received. For you own safety, you should disengage.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The deliveries are actually rather limited in variety.

It's mostly get stuff from here to there with different conditions.
Either with time limit, cargo damage limitation, amount of cargo or get my stuff from the place i dropped em. And you can select a premium option with stricter requirements. That's the only thing you do in the game. for both the main missions and the side tasks (except the two shooting chapters). There are no sidequests, the delivery menu has orders for sam which are the main missions and general orders which are the "sidemissions". The reason to do them is to increase the relation with each establishment so you can add them to the UCA network which allows you to build structures in the new network space,, fabricate stuff and take more orders. Each establishemnt has more or less 10 orders which you can repeat and they are more or less the same for all establishements.

You can also find lost cargo scattered on the map which you deliver to the establishement that lost it for more likes.

The relations is measured with likes you get for each order you complete.

The premise of the game is that you will plan your route, to avoid BT's, avoid timefall, etc to go to your destination at the best time. Never planned anything and i have about 160 legends of legend awarded orders. What i'm trying to say is that the sandbox element is there, but i never saw the reason to go out of myself to be creative, the game never game me the urge to do it or any rewarding factor. It isn't even hard to do the orders even on harder difficulty.
Shit i hate time limit in every game...

Is it impossible to upgrade chara and equipment if don't give a fuck about time?

Shit i hate time limit in every game...

Is it impossible to upgrade chara and equipment if don't give a fuck about time?

You don't update your character. He has a base line of stats and you improve them by wearing three types of exosceleton and by customizing your backpack to get additional pouches or extra batteries. Not anything sophisticated. I can share screens later to show it.

You get Blueprints for crafting better equipment from some missions and by maximizing your relations with the facilities around the map.

Top Bottom