• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathsmiles |OT| 360 Cave STG

Wizpig

This game is pretty fucking awesome, although i can't play it for more than 2 hours per session because all those bullets make me feel sick in real life.

Other than that, every time you use a Continue the hi-score resets to 0, right?
And if i want to actually see my score in the leaderboards i need to play in the score attack mode, right?

I had something like 20 million points (default hi-score is 10 million i think) but then i game over'd :'(

How the heck do i reach 100 million points?!

danmaku

Wizpig said:
This game is pretty fucking awesome, although i can't play it for more than 2 hours per session because all those bullets make me feel sick in real life.

Other than that, every time you use a Continue the hi-score resets to 0, right?

Yes

And if i want to actually see my score in the leaderboards i need to play in the score attack mode, right?

Yes

I had something like 20 million points (default hi-score is 10 million i think) but then i game over'd :'(

How the heck do i reach 100 million points?!

Read the manual. The PAL version has a very good manual, it contains a lot of useful tips about scoring well. Other than that, download some replays from XBOX Live to see what the top players are doing.

Wizpig

Yes, I already read some cool thing like "when you are in powered-up mode, it's actually better to let the items touch the ground" or the easiest path for a 1c run.

It's one of the best manuals i've read in this generation of consoles.

One thing i don't get, though, is... the path for a no continue run requires you to play at Level 3 so that you can get some 1-ups, but isn't the game easier if you play it at Level 1?

danmaku

Yes, but if you play all the levels at rank 1 you'll hit a pretty big difficulty spike once you reach the final level and maybe the 3 life bars you get from the start won't be enough. If you play some stages at rank 3 you'll get some useful power ups and it's not much harder than rank 1. Just give it a try!

Wired

Since I'm a lazy asshole that don't know how to google I thought I should ask here

So hey guys... is there any difference between the arcade and 360 versions, when it comes to slowdown or whatever? I'm so hardcore I want the TRUE arcade experience... but the prettier graphics is calling for me... Talking about the PAL version.

Llyranor

For the NA version patch, with the 'original slowdown' restored (or something), does that make the 360 and Arcade modes the same, or is it more accurate in Arcade mode?

Wizpig

Wired said:
So hey guys... is there any difference between the arcade and 360 versions, when it comes to slowdown or whatever? I'm so hardcore I want the TRUE arcade experience... but the prettier graphics is calling for me... Talking about the PAL version.
I think it's the exact same but let's wait for someone more informed to answer.

Arcade version sucks balls on the 360 though. (graphics, 2x2 resolution, etc.)

Question: why can't you play MBL online CoOp? T_T

hipgnosis

Wired said:
Since I'm a lazy asshole that don't know how to google I thought I should ask here

Arcade mode has more slowdown and is closer to the original PCB than 360 mode. Arcade mode is actually one of the most accurate CAVE ports ever produced.

EU gamers: Rising Star Games are offering fixed copies of the OST:

Few posts down.

For those unaware, the CD in the packaging was in WAV format and thus won't play in (most?) CD players.

torisu said:
Hi all,

I'm very sorry about the problem with the soundtrack CD. I'm trying to get the bottom of what went wrong but that's probably not of interest to you. I'm sure what you really want to know is what we're going to do about it: we are going send you a proper disc to replace it.

Please email your snail-mail address to torisu [at] risingstargames.com with "Deathsmiles soundtrack" as the subject and Rising Star Games will send you a proper CD Audio disc.

From today, 22 February 2o11, please give us three weeks to manufacture and send the discs.

Thank you for your support,

torisu

Nice gesture on their part, I think.

Tain

Wired said:

Play arcade mode.

There's also the huge difficulty difference between 360 and arcade during the first six stages due to the fact that 360 mode does not limit how many times you can select a given rank.

Wizpig said:
Arcade version sucks balls on the 360 though. (graphics, 2x2 resolution, etc.)

It's visually rough, but in no way does it suck balls.

Wizpig

Tain said:
It's visually rough, but in no way does it suck balls.
Yeah, I'm kinda playing the "HD shmup noob" role here, just kidding... but the window really IS small!

Other than that it's nice to know that it has more slowdown :D

And one thing i still don't get is... how do i select a given rank multiple times on the 360 version? by "rank" do you mean the actual stage or the difficulty level?
I usually put level 3, but after discovering that level 3 5 times = death mode i said "no thanks".

@Tranced Shadow: I don't think i will send mine in, i listen to it only on the PC anyways...

Tain

By rank I mean level, sorry. The selectable difficulty level. 360 lets you select difficulty 1 all the way through where the arcade only lets you select each difficulty level (save 3) twice in one go, so naturally new players pick the high res mode, select level one for every stage, and then claim the difficulty curve is too steep once they hit the final stage.

Wizpig

Tain said:
360 lets you select difficulty 1 all the way through where the arcade only lets you select each difficulty level (save 3) twice in one go
Nice to know!

Now that i'm trying to finish a run with 1c i usually select level 3 twice (in order to reach 20m points for a fourth life) and then level 2 or 1.

Of course, in the 360 mode i could select level 1 four times, but it's terrible for scoring so i usually pick level 2 even if i'm not in the Arcade mode.

I do this mainly to avoid Death Mode, i hate revenge bullets in the last stage.

Anyways, i've never been interested in shmups much, but DS is great.
I think i'll try playing this with the arcade stick, but i've got sanwa parts, not seimitsu, so i don't know if it's appropriate to play this genre.

Also good to know that i don't have to trade the old CD in, thanks :p

Tain

Wizpig said:
Nice to know!

Now that i'm trying to finish a run with 1c i usually select level 3 twice (in order to reach 20m points for a fourth life) and then level 2 or 1.

Of course, in the 360 mode i could select level 1 four times, but it's terrible for scoring so i usually pick level 2 even if i'm not in the Arcade mode.

I do this mainly to avoid Death Mode, i hate revenge bullets in the last stage.

Anyways, i've never been interested in shmups much, but DS is great.
I think i'll try playing this with the arcade stick, but i've got sanwa parts, not seimitsu, so i don't know if it's appropriate to play this genre.

Also good to know that i don't have to trade the old CD in, thanks :p

Absolutely use a nice joystick if you can. Sanwa parts are plenty fine.

Also, if you learn how to milk the rock in the level 3 lava stage (nothing very difficult!), you can easily make sure you have both extends by the time you hit the final stage. Makes a 1cc much easier. Same with not bombing during the second to last boss to get a two-life powerup.

Llyranor

I don't play for score, only for 1cc, so I pick lvl 3 for each stage, but also disable suicide bullets in the options. Lvl 1/2 is too easy, and suicide bullets are too hard :D

Wizpig

Tain said:
Absolutely use a nice joystick if you can. Sanwa parts are plenty fine.

Also, if you learn how to milk the rock in the level 3 lava stage (nothing very difficult!), you can easily make sure you have both extends by the time you hit the final stage. Makes a 1cc much easier. Same with not bombing during the second to last boss to get a two-life powerup.
Ohhh, really? i thought i was already milking them enough (for 20m) but you can reach the second extend?
Unfortunately i still make some stupid mistakes, especially during some bosses. (and i use bombs, i can't seem to avoid those apples from the forest boss without bombs T_T)

Other than that, i miss 10 achievements (40/50) and they are the only 10 achievements in the game that require skill :'(

Basically "reach 100m, 200, 300, complete the game with 1cc with every character other than Sakura, beat bloody jitterbug, DeathSmiles Virtuoso and the one that requires 1 billion points or something."

The 1CC achievements are pretty doable if you just do lv 1 and 2 the whole way through. Score achievements are tough though, took effort to get the 100m one lol...

I suck at Deathsmiles.

Wizpig

hipgnosis said:
You can zoom the window as much as you like. Check the screen options menu.
I know, but i think the quality would suck if you zoom in, right?

I think i'll give it a try though :)

Wizpig said:
Unfortunately i still make some stupid mistakes, especially during some bosses. (and i use bombs, i can't seem to avoid those apples from the forest boss without bombs T_T)

I'd say the tree boss' apple attacks are the two hardest patterns to dodge in the first 6 stages, so I wouldn't feel too badly about that.

The 100m achievement is pretty doable with some practice imo (I got it and I'm not very good at shooters). The 200 and 300 ones are really hard though.

Ledsen

So I just got the PAL version. Pretty awesome game! I have no idea what the difference is between the modes though... I understand that 360 mode is basically Arcade mode but with HD graphics and less slowdown, but what's the difference between Arcade, 1.1, MBL, and MBL 1.1?

Llyranor

MBL also has an optional stage near the end, a new character (which I mainly use - the directional familiar is very nice to have), and lvl 999 difficulty. I prefer it to vanilla.

Wizpig

I'm trying to play this with the arcade stick but it doesn't click with me, i dunno, i'm more of a pad player.

Question: can you unlock achievements while playing in the Score Attack mode? i want to upload my crappy scores to Xbox Live, but i can't do so if i use the "Play" option.
But i'd also like to unlock achievements.

Wizpig said:
I'm trying to play this with the arcade stick but it doesn't click with me, i dunno, i'm more of a pad player.
What kind of stick are you using? I still don't like playing shooters on Sanwa.

hipgnosis

Just tried Ice Palace in MBL 1.1. Holy shit that was madness, so much shit happening. Those platinum crowns flying everywhere, lots of suicide bullets, lots of places to milk skulls and so on. Talk about an increase on score!

Wizpig

_dementia said:
What kind of stick are you using? I still don't like playing shooters on Sanwa.
Street Fighter IV modded with Sanwa parts.

Anyways, 65 million points, no continue used, and i die at the last boss.
If you gentlemen will excuse me, i'm going to jump from a cliff.

Make sure you defeat Jitterbug without bombing. Even if you get hit once or twice, he'll give you a fat ass cake that restores 2 health bars.

hipgnosis

Just did a 130 mil all-clear run in 360 mode. I think I'm done with this mode for a while now. Gonna start practising MBL, that mode seems even more enjoyable than 360 mode. What great game!

Volodja

Mh.
First proper Shmup I've owned.
Started playing it in arcade mode right away, it's kind of eye-cutting already without zooming but I don't like the smoothing option so that's a no go, I will get used to the roughness, hell, I already kinda am; playing 15 years old pc games with modern resolutions does wonders for adaptability, I guess.
I've been experimenting a bit with the various types of shots for the various characters and the differences in speed to see what seems suitable to start.
Hopefully I'll have a better idea on how to approach this type of game by the time Mushihime-sama Futari arrives.

Top Bottom