• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin |OT| Dean Ambrose, Muscleless Agent of SHIELD, Every Week :(

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Okay, let's not view it in a vacuum. Guess what, Snake has still always been "the grounded one" in the mainline games. The crazy physical feats are always done by people around him. Snake suddenly doing Crouching Tiger moves is out of character, especially when part of his characterization in MGS1 was being "the veteran operative coming out of retirement." It's just wrong.
It's not wrong. It's just a video game, and the developers decided to take a bit of liberty with the cutscenes, instead of just doing a frame for frame remake, which would have been a waste. It's just a cool side game in the series, and it wouldn't have much appeal if it was just a straight remake. However, it's a good game, and I'm amazed that it gets all this hate from MGS fans just because Snake does a fucking midair backflip. It was the game that introduced to the series, honestly, and I've played every single one, and thought it fit right in.

Snake never did any ridiculous shit in MGS1? He fought a giant mech and won, lol!

bangai-o

Banned
he fought a giant lumbering tractor of a mech and won. It was basically like a nuclear equipped loader in Aliens. You are painting the MGS scenario as if it is totally outrageous and fits the bill to all the games, but MGS2 was ridiculous in comparison.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
he fought a giant lumbering tractor of a mech and won. It was basically like a nuclear equipped loader in Aliens. You are painting the MGS scenario as if it is totally outrageous and fits the bill to all the games, but MGS2 was ridiculous in comparison.

MGS2 is when shit got pretty dumb. Fatman...sigh...

and Vamp...and Fortune...and everything.

MGS1 had at least one foot on this planet :p

MGS1 had at least one foot on this planet :p

And it was arguably worse for it. Kojima decided to up the crazy with Twin Snakes, and it couldn't fit any better if he tried. Backflipping off of missiles and over doorways was fucking AWESOME. Ya'll act like Snake has never done any sort of acrobatics at all. Stop gettin' mad at the crazyness and just get on board. It's a hell of a toboggan ride.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
And it was arguably worse for it. Kojima decided to up the crazy with Twin Snakes, and it couldn't fit any better if he tried. Backflipping off of missiles and over doorways was fucking AWESOME. Ya'll act like Snake has never done any sort of acrobatics at all. Stop gettin' mad at the crazyness and just get on board. It's a hell of a toboggan ride.
Damn straight.

pants

Today I learned that not many wrassle gaffers have played Peace Walker, the best of the bunch next to MGS3. Then I remembered not many gamers in general have played Peace Walker lol

Kojima actually didn't direct The Twin Snakes.

It was some other guy.

Today I learned that not many wrassle gaffers have played Peace Walker, the best of the bunch next to MGS3. Then I remembered not many gamers in general have played Peace Walker lol
I was very close to getting PSP Go around Peace Walker launch to play it.

I'll play it on my 360 one day, before Ground Zeroes and V for sure.

bangai-o

Banned
MGS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88nbrQFs9Wc

Twin Snakes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T9ARDQaiG0

ivedINcGa8Pi5.gif

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Yeah, it's a shame how few people played Peace Walker. It really is a great game that imagined to overcome the control limitations of the PSP.

"It couldn't fit any better if he tried" despite Solid Snake never doing moves like that again...

Me thinks some of you let Raiden, Vamp, Psycho Mantis, etc. taint your view of Snake. He's the soldier. The basic soldier who moves through the battlefield using military training and a little help from steroids nanomachines in MGS4. He isn't supposed to be Neo.

Hell, we haven't even mentioned the soundtrack which his superior in the original also. You guys are nuts. Stahp it.

I couldn't get into Peace Walker for some reason. I played for like 7 hours on the HD Collection and it just didn't hook me.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
"It couldn't fit any better if he tried" despite Solid Snake never doing moves like that again...

Me thinks some of you let Raiden, Vamp, Psycho Mantis, etc. taint your view of Snake. He's the soldier. The basic soldier who moves through the battlefield using military training and a little help from steroids nanomachines in MGS4. He isn't supposed to be Neo.

Hell, we haven't even mentioned the soundtrack which his superior in the original also. You guys are nuts. Stahp it.
We get it, man. Snake didn't do a backflip in MGS1, but he did in Twin Snakes. We don't care. Twin Snakes wasn't designed to be a straight remake of MGS1. It was supposed to be a more stylized telling of the story.

And you couldn't get into Peace Walker, and you call yourself a MGS fan?

bangai-o

Banned
and how is Grey Fox supposed to be considered this super ninja, when a retired Snake is able to simply do the same acrobatics?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
and how is Grey Fox supposed to be considered this super ninja, when a retired Snake is able to simply do the same acrobatics?
They fixed that in Twin Snakes too. The shit Snake was doing in Twin Snakes was nothing compared to what Grey Fox was doing in Twin Snakes.

We get it, man. Snake didn't do a backflip in MGS1, but he did in Twin Snakes. We don't care. Twin Snakes wasn't designed to be a straight remake of MGS1. It was supposed to be a more stylized telling of the story.

Be that as it may, I'd never recommend someone play Twin Snake before, or instead of, MGS1 proper because Snake, as presented in Twin Snakes, is inconsistent with the rest of the series.
+ the voice acting and soundtrack is better in the original

And you couldn't get into Peace Walker, and you call yourself a MGS fan?

I tried, but the bite sized nature of the missions just weren't doing it for me. Now I'm mad because it looks to be a jumping off point for Ground Zeroes + MGSV so I have to wiki the story.

EDIT: Oh and y'know, wrestling and stuff.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
And then they made Gray Fox worse by changing the voice actor.
The reason for that is because the original voice actor for Gray Fox played Donald Anderson in Twin Snakes, and when they had him voice Gray Fox, they realized that he just sounded way too similar, and that it was too obvious that it was the same guy that was voicing both. Instead, they got Rob Paulsen to voice Gray Fox in Twin Snakes.

However, this wasn't SK's decision, it was Konami's. In fact, it was Rob Paulsen who also voiced Gray Fox in MGS4.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
fuck

I missed smackdown

Edit: Since DB got so over that they stuck him on Raw every week, Smackdown has been pretty awful.

In the WWE food chart it's

Raw---SMS---Main Event-------Superstars--------AM Raw------------NXT--------------------Smackdown

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Be that as it may, I'd never recommend someone play Twin Snake before, or instead of, MGS1 proper because Snake, as presented in Twin Snakes, is inconsistent with the rest of the series.
+ the voice acting and soundtrack is better in.
That's fine, but people just seem to have this irrational hatred for the game just because it was on GCN, and not directly made by Kojima, and because Snake did a fucking backflip. Hell, I bet Kojima loved the backflip. However, I will say that it doesn't matter if he's not consistent with the Solid Snake of the rest of the series. Solid Snake is a relatively minor character (from a gameplay perspective) in the rest of the games, with the exception of MGS4, but you could argue that he's not even the same character, due to the large age difference.

That's fine, but people just seem to have this irrational hatred for the game just because it was on GCN, and not directly made by Kojima. However, I will say that it doesn't matter if he's not consistent with the Solid Snake of the rest of the series. Solid Snake is a relatively minor character (from a gameplay perspective) in the rest of the games, with the exception of MGS4, but you could argue that he's not even the same character, due to the large age difference.
It just has always felt not necessary, because Metal Gear Solid is one of the few games of that generation that still holds up.

It's not bad, but it is inferior to the original.

Enfinit

fuck

I missed smackdown

Edit: Since DB got so over that they stuck him on Raw every week, Smackdown has been pretty awful.

In the WWE food chart it's

Raw---SMS---Main Event-------Superstars--------AM Raw------------NXT--------------------Smackdown

For me, RAW's my most watched but NXT is my favorite. I don't watch Saturday Morning Slam or Main Event, and Superstars varies depending on who's in the matches. The only time I get to SmackDown is when I rarely am at my house on a Friday night with nothing better to do. RAW and NXT are the only two WWE programs I watch regardless of who's in the matches.

bangai-o

Banned
That's fine, but people just seem to have this irrational hatred for the game just because it was on GCN, and not directly made by Kojima, and because Snake did a fucking backflip. Hell, I bet Kojima loved the backflip. However, I will say that it doesn't matter if he's not consistent with the Solid Snake of the rest of the series. Solid Snake is a relatively minor character (from a gameplay perspective) in the rest of the games, with the exception of MGS4, but you could argue that he's not even the same character, due to the large age difference.

Kojima hated it.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It just has always felt not necessary, because Metal Gear Solid is one of the few games of that generation that still holds up.

It's not bad, but it is inferior to the original.
The point of the game was because Miyamoto wanted Nintendo gamers who didn't have a PS1 to experience MGS. Kojima agreed, looked over the project, and signed off on its release.

I don't feel it's inferior, just different.

jobber

For me, RAW's my most watched but NXT is my favorite. I don't watch Saturday Morning Slam or Main Event, and Superstars varies depending on who's in the matches. The only time I get to SmackDown is when I rarely am at my house on a Friday night with nothing better to do. RAW and NXT are the only two WWE programs I watch regardless of who's in the matches.

NXT is written by a totally different creative team. That's great.

Raw has the most emphasis on selling ppvs and furthering storylines.

Back in my day Raw and Smackdown had 2 different creative teams. IT WAS GOOD.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
BTW, just so we can be clear. Silicon Knights had little to do with the cutscenes in Twin Snakes. It was Japanese director Ryuhei Kitamura who directed them, and it was Kojima who approached him, and it was KOJIMA who approved of every single cutscene in the game. He wanted them to be redone in an over the topic acrobatic style, which is what Kitamura is known for.

http://thesnakesoup.org/?section=myths&content=ttscutscenes

Enfinit

NXT is written by a totally different creative team. That's great.

Raw has the most emphasis on selling ppvs and furthering storylines.

Back in my day Raw and Smackdown had 2 different creative teams. IT WAS GOOD.

I'm right there with you. SmackDown used to to great back in the 90s when WWE was at its creative peak. In all honesty, I'm surprised they haven't scraped SD altogether and merged everything into RAW, or started making SD live regularly.

jobber

I don't think it is a creative team for NXT. I'm pretty sure it is just Dusty Rhodes.

Well as we've seen in the past, having just one guy running everything can be good.

If he's doing it all by himself, can we get him to write Smackdown and send Brooklyn Brawler down to NXT?

zychi

Banned
Me too. Game was an insane experience back in 99.

And you people saying Twin Snakes is better are terrible, terrible people. It's not a bad game, like many on GAF would say, but the wire-fu nonsense in the cutscenes is completely wrong for MGS1, and the voice acting is not as good as the original. Shame on you guize.
Wire fu is wrong but a man living through another man's arm, nano machines, rocket launcher versus 100s of metal gears, and the entirety of big boss' story is okay?

But wire fu was wrong....

strobogo

Banned
Wire fu is wrong but a man living through another man's arm, nano machines, rocket launcher versus 100s of metal gears, and the entirety of big boss' story is okay?

But wire fu was wrong....

All of that was MGS2. All that is being said is that MGS1 is the grounded one if there is such a thing in the series. Such things would seem a bit out of place in that game, but not at all for the series as a whole. But it would only seem weird if you inserted that stuff randomly into the actual MGS 1 game. Not if they whole game is remade with that kind of tone, though. But really, the repelling down the side of the tower section seemed kind of out of place with the tone.

But if Twin Snakes was made with that kind of tone in mind, I don't see the problem or why people are arguing about it. It's not like they took MGS, added that kind of stuff, and then rereleased the game. They remade the game with an intentionally different tone and wackiness. It doesn't change the actual MGS1, so I don't really get why people are upset over it. It isn't like a Star Wars thing where you can't get the original versions or something. But I want to play Twin Snakes now. Also, I want Kojima to make a game where you play as The Boss and a full remake of MG 1/2. I feel like the time line of games is moving towards redoing Metal Gear 1 and 2 in the Solid style, which sounds great to me. But The Boss. I need a game of her.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
All of that was MGS2. All that is being said is that MGS1 is the grounded one if there is such a thing in the series. Such things would seem a bit out of place in that game, but not at all for the series as a whole. But it would only seem weird if you inserted that stuff randomly into the actual MGS 1 game. Not if they whole game is remade with that kind of tone, though. But really, the repelling down the side of the tower section seemed kind of out of place with the tone.

But if Twin Snakes was made with that kind of tone in mind, I don't see the problem or why people are arguing about it. It's not like they took MGS, added that kind of stuff, and then rereleased the game. They remade the game with an intentionally different tone and wackiness. It doesn't change the actual MGS1, so I don't really get why people are upset over it. It isn't like a Star Wars thing where you can't get the original versions or something. But I want to play Twin Snakes now. Also, I want Kojima to make a game where you play as The Boss and a full remake of MG 1/2. I feel like the time line of games is moving towards redoing Metal Gear 1 and 2 in the Solid style, which sounds great to me. But The Boss. I need a game of her.
They're mad because they don't understand the development of the game. They think it was just SK going "LOL MGS" and putting all this wacky stuff in. They don't realize that most of the things that they don't like about the game (the cutscenes, the voice acting, the soundtrack) were all Konami and Kojima's decisions.

tm24

Got around to finishing PWG's (Best wrestling promotion of 2012) Failure to Communicate. ITs a great show, outside of the amazingly meh match between Brain Cage and Willie Mack. Not sure what happened there. Guess neither are good enough to carry a match yet. Can't wait to add Mystery Vortex to the collection. Or for January 12, when PWG kicks off 2013 with DDT4! So far the teams announced are

The Briscoes
Future Shock
Ricochet & Rich Swann
The Unbreakable Fucking Machines!(Brian Cage & Michael Elgin)
The Young Bucks
The Super Smash Bros.
DojoBros (Eddie Edwards & Roderick Strong)

Can i just say that The Unbreakable Fucking Machines! are gonna be the most amazing tag team ever and would give Sunflower the biggest Batista boner ever?

Top Bottom