• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin |OT| Dean Ambrose, Muscleless Agent of SHIELD, Every Week :(

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
Yeah, I don't get the "no sell" criticism of AmBLOWS. He can sell.

I think its a criticism on he would go from selling back to offense too quickly. While i recognize that as a concern in 1 on 1 matches, for the 6 man, it kept the match flowing very nicely as he had to do a lot of the legwork with rollins (reigns was out for a good amount of the beginning of the match)

DMczaf

I think all six men must be extremely sore today.

However, none more so than Rollins

3UABB.gif

I'll never forget you Sam Rollins.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I think its a criticism on he would go from selling back to offense too quickly. While i recognize that as a concern in 1 on 1 matches, for the 6 man, it kept the match flowing very nicely as he had to do a lot of the legwork with rollins (reigns was out for a good amount of the beginning of the match)
That was just the requirement of the match. For instance, only a mark would think Kane being down for so long was him selling. The spots were pre-planned, Kane came into the match with a bad knee, so they had him stay down. Dean just had those spots planned for him, and he had to get up quickly for them.

My only criticism of him is that he needs to tone it down a bit in his promos. He doesn't have to treat them all like it's the end of his life. And stop copying Joker/Edge.

Ithil

This is a pretty special case. It's like criticising that tag match from Chikara's Under The Hood with Ultramantis Black, etc, everyone just walked into big move after big move, with no real selling, but that's ok in these matches, that's just how it goes.

It didn't help that, as you say, Rollins and Ambrose basically carried the whole match, with Bryan a close second. Reigns is too green to carry such a match so while he had his spots, he was kept outside a lot, as was Ryback. When the pace of the match was like that, there's not much time for long term selling, Rollins and Ambrose had to be up for the next part of the match.

This match was absolute total chaos and brutality, we'll see more technical showcases from Ambrose and Rollins down the line.

As a debut match, you couldn't have a better one.

That was just the requirement of the match. For instance, only a mark would think Kane being down for so long was him selling. The spots were pre-planned, Kane came into the match with a bad knee, so they had him stay down. Dean just had those spots planned for him, and he had to get up quickly for them.

My only criticism of him is that he needs to tone it down a bit in his promos. He doesn't have to treat them all like it's the end of his life. And stop copying Joker/Edge.

He's actually been doing that loopy heel gimmick longer than the Dark Knight has been out.

I do expect they're being told to be distinct from each other, to make their individual characters known as well as the Shield's overall identity.

I think all six men must be extremely sore today.

However, none more so than Rollins

3UABB.gif

Ouch, Ryback injures yet another. That was a great angle, you can see his head hit the table behind him. Ryback didn't push him off far enough or Rollins didn't jump far enough or a combo of both, but I think it's Ryback's job to make sure he goes far enough because Rollins can't see the tables.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
This is a pretty special case. It's like criticising that tag match from Chikara's Under The Hood with Ultramantis Black, etc, everyone just walked into big move after big move, with no real selling, but that's ok in these matches, that's just how it goes.

It didn't help that, as you say, Rollins and Ambrose basically carried the whole match, with Bryan a close second. Reigns is too green to carry such a match so while he had his spots, he was kept outside a lot, as was Ryback. When the pace of the match was like that, there's not much time for long term selling, Rollins and Ambrose had to be up for the next part of the match.

This match was absolute total chaos and brutality, we'll see more technical showcases from Ambrose and Rollins down the line.

As a debut match, you couldn't have a better one.

He's actually been doing that loopy heel gimmick longer than the Dark Knight has been out.

I do expect they're being told to be distinct from each other, to make their individual characters known as well as the Shield's overall identity.
I don't want to seem silly, and I think Bryan is the best in the world today, but am I the only one that doesn't understand how Bryan came close to carrying the match yesterday? It's clear that Hell No wasn't designed to be a major part of the match, and outside of the suplex spot, Bryan didn't do much.

EDIT: Ambrose still needs to tone it down a notch.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Amblows doesnt sell was established when he was down in NXT and earlier, there's no psychology to that foo'!

GWF tonight will make the Shield look like pansies.

Amblows sells about as well as Cena does. Doesn't make sense for people to criticize Cena's selling and praise Amblows, but he's WrassleGAF's Boner of the Month so whatever.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
What's with the anti-Ambrose stuff? Now that he's not one of the held back guys that indie nerds like to fellate it's cool to crap on him?
No one's crapping on him. It just gets annoying when you try to point out a legitimate criticism, and people act like you're crazy (for instance, pointing out anything wrong with Punk can get you attacked in this thread). Calling him Amblows is just a funny backlash against that fellatio attitude.

EDIT: In fact, your response is a perfect example of it. People point out a legitimate criticism of him, and you ask why are people crapping on him.

Bryan, Ambrose, and Rollins will all be released by the summer. They're just there to get the real future over Reigns and Ryback #VinceMcmahon

Jitters

Ouch, Ryback injures yet another. That was a great angle, you can see his head hit the table behind him. Ryback didn't push him off far enough or Rollins didn't jump far enough or a combo of both, but I think it's Ryback's job to make sure he goes far enough because Rollins can't see the tables.

That had nothing to do with Ryback. That was just Rollins jumping.

Reminds me of when you guys blamed Big Show for hurting Barrett.

I didn't think Ambrose undersold too badly in the match last night, but he also didn't really take that many big moves either, other than the chokeslam on the chair. Also, if you look at his role in the match he wasn't ever in peril or isolated for any significant amount of time like Bryan, Ryback and Kane all were. None of the Shield were, as there was almost always another member near to make the save. In general, I think they did well last night booking those guys, and getting over that they're dangerous and difficult to beat as a unit. Good stable booking, imo.

Bryan, Ambrose, and Rollins will all be released by the summer. They're just there to get the real future over Reigns and Ryback #VinceMcmahon

Ambrose and Rollings will get stuck in shitty storylines and random matches on whatever replaced Superstars within 6 months but they wont be released unless they fuck up like Bryan did.

I don't think I was paying attention to Wrasslegaf when Bryan was released after his RAW debut.. I bet the reaction was hilarious.

Ithil

I don't want to seem silly, and I think Bryan is the best in the world today, but am I the only one that doesn't understand how Bryan came close to carrying the match yesterday? It's clear that Hell No wasn't designed to be a major part of the match, and outside of the suplex spot, Bryan didn't do much.

EDIT: Ambrose still needs to tone it down a notch.

I mean that he had by far the most "screentime" of his team. Kane and Ryback spent a lot of them match down, while Bryan was up and getting beat on by Rollins and Ambrose in particular.

Makes sense, as those are the safest workers there as well as all manageable sizes.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I mean that he had by far the most "screentime" of his team. Kane and Ryback spent a lot of them match down, while Bryan was up and getting beat on by Rollins and Ambrose in particular.

Makes sense, as those are the safest workers there as well as all manageable sizes.
I don't remember him getting the most screentime. Him and Kane were down for a long time, while Ryback was getting beat down. It seemed pretty even, honestly.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
BTW most of my Amblows criticisms are tongue in cheek, the guy's ok. Of course his physique is dogshit, but...yknow.

Surely the Shield will end up with the "separated and ganged up on" spot at the Ramble this year.

strobogo

Banned
lol at people complaining of a lack of selling in a TLC match. Have you guys never seen one? Formula for all of them: Couple minutes of aimless brawling before first big spot. Then whoever took the bump will be dead until they need to be involved for the next spot. Repeat the entire match except the big bumps get closer together as the match progresses, so guys go from dead to running up a ladder 40 seconds later. In this case, there were pins, so those refractory periods got even shorter. TLC matches aren't about selling and psychology. They are about stringing together crazy bumps into something half way cohesive. There isn't time to really sell in those matches unless your spot puts you out of the match.

In fact, guys are more likely to sell weaker moves than the big spots. Like in triple threat matches when a guy lays out on the floor for 10 minutes on a DDT. That's just the nature of the match. That can't really change unless they drastically cut down on big spots, which is the whole point of having the match in the first place.

Jitters

lol at people complaining of a lack of selling in a TLC match. Have you guys never seen one? Formula for all of them: Couple minutes of aimless brawling before first big spot. Then whoever took the bump will be dead until they need to be involved for the next spot. Repeat the entire match except the big bumps get closer together as the match progresses, so guys go from dead to running up a ladder 40 seconds later. In this case, there were pins, so those refractory periods got even shorter. TLC matches aren't about selling and psychology. They are about stringing together crazy bumps into something half way cohesive. There isn't time to really sell in those matches unless your spot puts you out of the match.

In fact, guys are more likely to sell weaker moves than the big spots. Like in triple threat matches when a guy lays out on the floor for 10 minutes on a DDT. That's just the nature of the match. That can't really change unless they drastically cut down on big spots, which is the whole point of having the match in the first place.
Sometimes I wonder if anyone in here has actually seen wrestling before........

Ithil

Plus while it was TLC chaos, they did keep a good story running through, of the Shield working as a unit and isolating each opponent one at a time, and never being far from one another.

Top Bottom